Info on rare (hard to find) video games?

techstar25

CAGiversary!
I'm browsing eBay and it seems like every seller says that the game they are selling is "Extremeley Rare!". Obviously they all can't be rare. I tried Google to find a website that lists really rare games, but Rare the videogame developer comprised almost all the results. Is there a website or forum that talks about rare or out of print games for all systems? I'd like to know what are the top 10 rarest games for GBA, PS, PS2, etc. There must be a forum someone dedicated to rare video games.

I'm sure it's been posted before, but Digital Press is probably your best bet. Check the Online Rarity Guide in the menu on the left.

As for top 10, I'm sure that's been asked and answered before. I'm not feeling up to searching for it, though.

I agree that Digital Press is a good site.

Regarding auctions, keep in mind that A) people will say anything to get you to look/bid/buy, and B) some sellers don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Example: Super Mario 64 "rare"

the best way is to browse around here.. i mean.. its common knowledge that most third party RPGS for the PS1 are "rare' and "saught after" like Lunar 1, 2, threads of fate, rhapsody, suikoden 2.. for PS2, Rez, Gitaroo man, and (to a lesser extent) Marvel Vs Capcom 2 are the "rarer" games.. but most can be found.. those are really the only ones that i ever see people wanting.. and Disgaea..

Yeah. www.digitpress.com is the best site I know of for finding the rarity of a game.

Here's the thing though: to some extent, some of these mass-produced games are somewhat rare. A Super Nintendo version of Chrono Trigger is coveted. If someone buys it, they're not going to want to give it up. While many copies exist, there's a huge demand for it, so the available copies are somewhat scarce, therefore making it relatively "rare."

I do agree that eBay users abuse the term, though...

there is a different between rare and saught after. At any given time i can find several auctions for a game like rez or suikoden 2, but it can be hard to find some of the really rare games anywhere.

What's wrong with putting 'rare' in the title for a common game? If a person is stupid enough to believe it they don't deserver there money!

any body know where i can find Xenogears and Klonoa for PS1
that doesn't break my bank, i have people over here asking for $75 for each of these here in puerto rico

The thing with 'rare' games is, games that are truely rare - most people have never heard of them. I have a list of games I'm always looking for and I've NEVER seen a copy for sale.

I'm not talking like a copy for a reasonable price or anything. Just not around.
Wanna try a fruitless quest? Look for:

Battle Balls (PSX) http://nfggames.com/games/senkyu/

I have Radiant Silvergun, I have Dracula X - you can find either in abundance at any point it time. Expensive? sure. Rare? no.

[quote name='Riyonuk']Wow $75? Thats just sad, hastings has that for like $9.99, same thing with FF7, I dont see why these games are rare[/QUOTE]

Your Hastings has Klonoa and FF7?????? Hey, I'll buy those off of you... :bouncy:

[quote name='gamereviewgod']Battle Balls never had a Playstation release. It only came to arcades.[/quote]
Not according to Lawrence at gamesx -

[SIZE=-1] Released only for the Playstation and Seibu's own SPI arcade system, the game is incredibly rare. It still doesn't have much recognition or demand, which is distressing. No one I've introduced the game to fails to adore it and covet their own copy. No one who has one will part with it. There was a demo of this on the Raiden DX release for Playstation.

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]That dude knows as much about games as anyone I know. That said, he might be mistaken. I'll post on his forums an 'are you sure' type question if you're sure it wasn't release for the PSX.

[/SIZE]

[quote name='smalien1']What's wrong with putting 'rare' in the title for a common game? If a person is stupid enough to believe it they don't deserver there money![/QUOTE]
There's a fine line between embellishment and straight-up lying. What if someone neglected to mention that a thing they're selling is broken? Is it the buyer's fault for not asking? They're just varying degrees of misrepresentation.

[quote name='Blaine']Not according to Lawrence at gamesx -

[SIZE=-1] Released only for the Playstation and Seibu's own SPI arcade system, the game is incredibly rare. It still doesn't have much recognition or demand, which is distressing. No one I've introduced the game to fails to adore it and covet their own copy. No one who has one will part with it. There was a demo of this on the Raiden DX release for Playstation.

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]That dude knows as much about games as anyone I know. That said, he might be mistaken. I'll post on his forums an 'are you sure' type question if you're sure it wasn't release for the PSX.

[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
It wasn't on allgame.com and I use that as basically a game-release bible. Maybe it was released in Japan, but that probably won't help you.

Also the screenshots in the review (title screen particularly) appear to be for a console - the "press start" instead of "Press 1P" or what have you. That and from what I've seen of the arcade title, inserting coins takes you right into the mode select.

[quote name='ViolentLee'] Maybe it was released in Japan, but that probably won't help you.[/quote]
Yeah. It is a Japan only release.

You could add that to your criterion for what makes a game "rare" - the fact that people could debate it's existence.

Check estarland.com for Xenogears. I bought a sealed GH copy for 13 bucks a few months ago. Overstock also had it as a part of their deal of the day for around 10 bucks.

There is one psone game I have that few people seem to have heard of, Racing Lagoon. It was a japan only release from squaresoft and was a racing rpg. Does anyone else here actually own it besides me? There has to be someone else.

[quote name='fieldkillah']There is one psone game I have that few people seem to have heard of, Racing Lagoon. It was a japan only release from squaresoft and was a racing rpg. Does anyone else here actually own it besides me? There has to be someone else.[/quote]

I've never even heard of that game. Is it any good?

Its not bad, I can't understand the story because its all japanese but from the look of it, it's all about street racing. The map is a 3d city with a 3/4 view and you drive around and challenge other cars and other cars challenge you. Instead of turn based battles you have a race and at the end you can take a part from the car if you win. It's been a while since I popped it in tho.

[quote name='Blaine']The thing with 'rare' games is, games that are truely rare - most people have never heard of them. I have a list of games I'm always looking for and I've NEVER seen a copy for sale.

I'm not talking like a copy for a reasonable price or anything. Just not around.
Wanna try a fruitless quest? Look for:

Battle Balls (PSX) http://nfggames.com/games/senkyu/

I have Radiant Silvergun, I have Dracula X - you can find either in abundance at any point it time. Expensive? sure. Rare? no.[/quote]

You are being WAY to tight about the word "rare". Can you find Valkyrie Profile for the PS1, yes. Is it "rare", of course it is. Rare doesn't necessarily mean there are only 1 or 2 copies in existence. You can pretty much find any game on ebay. Does that mean it's not rare? Of course not.

What is it with Dreamcast games on ebay? Seems like every non-sport DC game is considered rare on there. Last time I checked Space Channel 5 & Chu Chu Rocket were not that hard to find.

[quote name='tangytangerine']What is it with Dreamcast games on ebay? Seems like every non-sport DC game is considered rare on there. Last time I checked Space Channel 5 & Chu Chu Rocket were not that hard to find.[/QUOTE]
I imagine people use that terminology because it's not a given that you can go into a K-Mart, Best Buy, or GameStop and find a copy -- thereby, to some people it's "rare."

bread's done
Back