Can we have groups?

SneakyPenguin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (100%)
Now, I have no idea how difficult this would be, but is it possible to have the group function expanded to have non-mod groups? I ask, because recently, there has been a lot of factioning among the members, most notably my grammar gestapo and dcfox's misspelling ninjas (formerly ran by Jsweeney).

Now, I have no clue how difficult this would be to do, or possible consequences, but I was just curious. It might be fun.

Or it could explode in your face. I'll say sorry in advance.

EDIT: Poll added.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Now, I have no clue how difficult this would be to do, or possible consequences, but I was just curious. It might be fun.

Or it could explode in your face. I'll say sorry in advance.[/quote]

I really think that this would be a bad thing for the site...especially if things get out of hand. We can be cliquey enough; in my eyes, we don't need to divide up the user base any more than it already is.

And techniqally I'm not a group yet. Just my blue lonesome for now. But you forgo the rouges, deadzone and JSweeney.

Well, if there were groups, there would probably be ranks within the group. And that's a good point Walrus, but it can't hurt to ask.

I call Grammar Fuhrer(sp? I don't speak German)

Edited for Germanese (thanks MK9)

When you get to a thousand posts just put your "orginazation" instead of what you would normally have...I think cliques are bad enough and I like CAG and I wouldnt want this to turn into some rank competing clique loving site...I dont want people to start doing what we already do to n00bs to people other than n00bs...Am I making any sense? Or am I praddling on like a little school girl?

There are Cliques? Why wasn't I informed?!

Oh wait, because it's a BAD IDEA. If you guys want to role around in forum guilds like this was go-gaia, get matching Sig files.

Yep. Playing faction on off topic boards is one thing, but actually formalizing them is another.
You're just asking to start flamewars that way.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise....and PROPER GRAMMAR!

[quote name='JSweeney']Yep. Playing faction on off topic boards is one thing, but actually formalizing them is another.
You're just asking to start flamewars that way.[/quote]

NOBODY messes with the cobras...JSweeny, ill see you after class in the tennis courts!

[quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='Anonymous']What would be the benefits be of adding groups?[/quote]
none punk[/quote]

Agreed

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']

Now, I have no clue how difficult this would be to do, or possible consequences, but I was just curious. It might be fun.

.[/quote]

Please share with me, how might this be fun? I just cannot think of any way that fun would enter into this idea.

[quote name='BasketCase1080'][quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='Anonymous']What would be the benefits be of adding groups?[/quote]
none punk[/quote]

Agreed[/quote]

Dont agree with him, hes not on your team!

I think there need to be hazings for one to become a member. You know, do embarassing stuff like run around the neighborhood with just your socks on. Photos required. Women only.

Seems like this would only seem to be a good idea for people that take this basically anonymous group far too seriously.

[quote name='yellowaznboy']I think there need to be hazings for one to become a member. You know, do embarassing stuff like run around the neighborhood with just your socks on. Photos required. Women only.[/quote]

Here's hoping Jasmine Trias is a CAG and wants to join the gestapo. *crossing fingers*

[quote name='yellowaznboy']I think there need to be hazings for one to become a member. You know, do embarassing stuff like run around the neighborhood with just your socks on. Photos required. Women only.[/quote]

Ya.. kinda what Sams Club and Costco make ya do. DA%R) you SAM WALTON!!

I thought we all ready had groups! What you didn't know guess we forgot to tell you!:) Or maybe we didn't cause your not in it! And who dosn't like flame wars?

I say no to formal groups. But you could have your own group sig :wink:

I think I need to clarify.
Groups would be a nice extra piece of functionality... but the factions and flamewars that would inherently grow from that would be rather terrifying. Having special groups for some discussions would be added value to the site.
But in reality, I can't get around the idea that this would cause gangs and factions to form on the board, and just dump a whole bunch of gasoline on the landscape strewn with tinder and kindling that is CAG.

When the hell did this become Cheap Ass High School? This sounds like an idea born of the 'nobody accepts the real ME' crowd. Ugh.

I agree with the GameFAQs comment.

It depends how you look at it.
Interest Groups would be a very nice thing... not only would it put people interested in the same thing together, it would remove some of the topics from the board that those people would care about, but no one else.

Like, for example, A group for people that play the Pokemon TCG or Magic the Gathering, etc.

JimmieMac: Let me tell you something when it all came to pass, the name JimmieMac, the man JimmieMac, got bigger than the whole forum! And then CheapyD, Amigo, he wanted to talk turkey with JimmieMac. CheapyD promised me movies, brother, CheapyD promised me millions of dollars, brother, and CheapyD promised me world calibre posters.. As far as CheapyD, BigNick, and the whole Cheapassgamer.com forums goes, I'm bored brother. That's why these two guys here, the so-called Outsiders, these are the men I want as my friends. They're the new blood of professional posting, brother, and not only are we going to take over the whole gaming business, with JimmieMac and the new blood, the monster with me, we will destroy everything in our path.

SneakyPenguin: Look at all this crap in the topic! This is what's in the future for you if you want to hang around with the likes of these men

JimmieMac: As far as I'm concerned, all this crap in the topic represents the fans out here. For two years, brother, for two years, I held my head high, I did everything for the kids, the reception I got when I came out here...you fans can stick it, brother, because if it wasn't for JimmieMac you people wouldn't be here. If it wasn't for JimmieMac, JSweeney would still be selling meat from a truck in Minneapolis and if it wasn't for JimmieMac, all these Johnny-Come-Lately's that you see out here posting, wouldn't be here. I was selling out the world, brother, while you were stealing gas to put in the car to get to high school, so the way that it is now, brother, with JimmieMac and the New World Organization of Posting, brother, me and the new blood by my side ... whatcha gonna do when the New World Organization runs wild on you? Whatcha gonna do?

I agree with Sweeney for once...I think if we had an interest group it would be great...like people that really like FPS could get into a forum and dicuss new and upcoming FPS they are looking forward too...That kind of "grouping" would be great, because you would'nt have alot of these stupid forums showing up that pretty much have the same premise as 20 other ones...Here is a list of interest groups we could have:

Old School Game Enthusiasts
FPS Enthusiasts
Platformer
Puzzle
RPG
and many others

If we had something like that where everyone that enjoyed those factions of games could come and speak their minds about games in the genre that they like, then it would be great. I think that if such a thing does happen then if ANYONE starts a flamware because of someones opinion then they should be banned for a day, and so one as the policy goes. We dont need more flame wars on CAG...We already have too many...I have noticed that their havent been as many in the past couple weeks and some of this may be attributed to some people getting banned coughMLWcough...If this does happen I suggest some serious MOD coverage

If it wasn't for JimmieMac, JSweeney would still be selling meat from a truck in Minneapolis and if it wasn't for JimmieMac

You know, taken the wrong way, that statement is very, very wrong.

You got something against feet? Or just something for socks?

You know, I figured this would happen. I never wanted groups to turn into gangs. I hate flame wars as much as anyone, but it could've been a nice little thing for people with common interests, like JSweeney said. I only used the ninjas and gestapo as an example. I'm going to add a poll, evn though so far, it is easy to see nearly everyone is against it.

bread's done
Back