need a deal on a 50 ft. ethernet cable

BB has 3 different brands of cable. They all weren't with the network stuff, they were nearer the front of the store on one of those catch-all shelves behind the cell phones area usually in the front of the store. I got one for 24.99 if i remember correctly

Find a friend that works at best buy... they can buy those for about 3 dollars.

I kid you not. The markup on ethernet cables is insane.

yea my dad said he got one a while ago from BB and it was 24.99. The lowest price one I saw was 31.99 (every other one was sold out)

[quote name='FlipSide']100 ft Cable

Newegg has a 100 ft cable for $9.50 + $4.99 ship, their 50 ft cable is OOS its $5 + $5 ship.[/quote]

thanks. Newegg totally slipped my mind as I have not bought anything from them and people mentioning newegg has dies down.

Yeah.. my college lets me take all of the ethernet cable I need for free, because it's so cheap.. I just have to crimp it myself.

Those fancy packaged cables you get from the big time electronics places aren't really worth it.. you should try a small private computer store that deals in bulk cable.

Those cables at Newegg, is that all you need to go online with a PS2? I've got a PS2 with network adapter, and I already have a router for 2.5 computers [two personal and my work computer which I use at home occassionally]. That 50 foot one, even the 100 foot one, is so much cheaper than any available in the stores, it'd be a crime not to get it and go online. I'm into computers, but I don't know Token and Cat5 and Gigabit and Ring etc etc..

Yeah, you just get an ethernet cable, go router > ps2 network adapter and it's online.

I didn't realize they made different kinds of cables that only work on specific network topographies like token and ring networks.. Cat5 is what you would normally get, though.

Is it hard to crimp the cable and insert the ends onto it? (what tools do you use, and where can I get the end prongs for cheap)

I would like to buy 1 hundred foot cable and split it since they are out of 50 ft. cables. if its too hard or is too much of an expense I would just go with getting 2 hundred foot cables instead

When I wired my house for networking I just bought a 500ft roll of cat5 cable and crimped wall plates onto the ends. It wasn't too tough to do because Fry's had ends that you didn't need to use tools on.

Can somebody help me out, I just moved and I need a 25ft long cable the one that goes from the wall to the modem. They have a 14ft one at wal-mart and its called "hi-speed modem cable" but I cant seem to find that at new-eggs site. I am sure even with shipping they would have the best price, could somebody link me to a 25ft one on new-eggs site.

I can make custom lenghts of Cat 5 cable for you guys. Say .10 a foot. It is blue, with boots and connectors, fully tested.

[quote name='BigNick']I can make custom lenghts of Cat 5 cable for you guys. Say .10 a foot. It is blue, with boots and connectors, fully tested.[/quote]

I wish I would have known before I just ordered my cable :wink:

O well. I will probably be looking for a 50 foot cable soon. I will PM you if I need one

[quote name='dynamite99']hey, why didnt i see this topic...i've been looking for a Cat5 too :)

BigNick - .10/ft ......that's....2.50 for 25ft??[/quote]

yup, plus shipping, and paypal fees if you use a credit card.

What is the dif. between reg. and cat5?....sorry Im not into the whole wires thing...I have wireless with encryption...so please explain

[quote name='BigNick'][quote name='dynamite99']hey, why didnt i see this topic...i've been looking for a Cat5 too :)

yup, plus shipping, and paypal fees if you use a credit card.[/quote]
any idea what the shipping will be? cuz i just relize it's pretty much the same price at newegg, but they charge 5 for shipping, which still too much for a cheap skate like me :)

[quote name='karmapolice620']damn thats pretty nice...although no connection is over 10 mbs and no one really needs any higher...[/quote]

Unless you are transferring files, then wireless sucks bad.

[quote name='dynamite99'][quote name='BigNick'][quote name='dynamite99']hey, why didnt i see this topic...i've been looking for a Cat5 too :)

yup, plus shipping, and paypal fees if you use a credit card.[/quote]
any idea what the shipping will be? cuz i just relize it's pretty much the same price at newegg, but they charge 5 for shipping, which still too much for a cheap skate like me :)[/quote]

Not sure, prob not much less. When I go to the post office tomorrow, I'll bring a 25ft piece with me and weigh it.

Ahh yes...I never thought about that...I usually do hardline when transfering files...I wonder how fast my new comp would go at....hmmm dual 2ghz g5...how fast do you think big nick?

[quote name='karmapolice620']Ahh yes...I never thought about that...I usually do hardline when transfering files...I wonder how fast my new comp would go at....hmmm dual 2ghz g5...how fast do you think big nick?[/quote]

It will transfer files at pretty much the same speed as my old Pentium 200.

[quote name='dynamite99']how do you transfer files between comps on the same network?[/quote]

Setup a network share. Its not the safest thing, but it works. go to support.microsoft.com and search there, they have step by step instructions. XP makes it really easy.

Im in the military, computer guy, throw away 100s of feet of cable every month, have a box of Cat5 in my car with crimpers and tips, man you guys just dont look around, i would never ever pay for cable

bread's done
Back