Action Replay Max (PS2) $15 with free shipping at Amazon (Get your Hot Coffee here!)

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000CED4T
qp-shipfree.gif

I actually have had one of these for a long time. Its pretty cool. It will also turn your PS2 into an all region DVD player.
I haven't tried Hot Coffee yet, but I will one of these days ;)

Hot Coffee:
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/hot-coffee-on-ps2-112800.php

Note: Apparently this item will not work with PS2 model SCPH 50001 or the slim PStwo.

I see that the XB version is still full price (29.99).

I'm mainly looking into getting a Action Replay to free up space on my XB harddrive... are these devices any good for that purpose?

This is a neat doodad to have (it's nice knowing that you can play any DVD movie you come across, if you don't feel like modifying the DVD-rom drive on your pc with hacked firmware,) and it can be neat to input cheat codes to unlock extras after beating a game. However, I'd like to throw in a word of caution: I lost all the files on my PS2 memory card by using the compression feature on the pro action replay max. It was working just fine for a while, with compressed & uncompressed files cohabitating peacefully on the same card. Then, while compressing a savegame file, my system completely locked up on me. I couldn't do anything except reset it, and voila--> all files on the card corrupted. Perhaps mine was a one in a million case, but now you know...

File corruption is a fairly common thing from wat I've read & heard from others, I've actually been really interested in getting one of these for my PS2 for a while now, THanx OP

Yeah, I would definitely advise NOT using the memory card compression feature.
This really is a very cool item though, and is a great deal at $15 shipped free.
However, if you don't have your PS2 online, the AR MAX is definitely not nearly as attractive.

[quote name='CheapyD']However, if you don't have your PS2 online, the AR MAX is definitely not nearly as attractive.[/QUOTE]

Why is that? It allows for cheat codes, all region DVD playback, and corruption-prone file compression on the PS2 memory card. I don't see how any of these are effected by internet access for the console (except the cheat codes...which I suppose some kids would want to use to gain an unfair advantage during online play. The codes themselves can be entered with a USB keyboard without online access and downloaded directly if available, I believe.)

[quote name='guyver2077']i play most my ps2 games of hdloader. Would there be any chance of using both these products together?[/QUOTE]
Given you need the HDL software to boot the games, Im guessing it probably wont work, but that's just a thought...Im sure the last thing you would want is to fry your HD using this...

Ordered! I just want ti for the region free DVD player. I rarely play my PS2 but using some cheats would be nice on those few times. Thanks Cheapy!!

[quote name='exceed19']will the XB version enable the hot coffee mod?[/QUOTE]

From what little I have read about it, I have gathered that it can be done with a modded Xbox, but not a factory Xbox.

Hmmm...region free dvd player, that would be nice. But how reliable is this device? My old gameshark had alot of problems after just 3 months. Am i going to have the same problems or worse?

[quote name='jerfgoke']Can anyone confirm that this will not work on the newer style slim PS2 systems, as the Amazon reviews say?[/QUOTE]

I believe the 3.3+ versions will work with the new slim PS2. You can know which version you are buying based off the number near the SKU. Search EBay to find auctions that advertise the SKU.

[quote name='Scrubking']Does this thing let you use the usb port to transfer saves via a flash drive??[/QUOTE]

Yes, it does and it is a great feature. You can even download the updated codelist right to the flash drive. And as long as it is in the PS2 on bootup, the AR will find it.

[quote name='exceed19']will the XB version enable the hot coffee mod?[/QUOTE]

The XBox version is only a DVD of game saves. As far as I know, there is no actual cheat device made by AR for the XBox. I don't know if MS is paying them to not develop one, but it just doesn't exist.

[quote name='Epic Wolf']Given you need the HDL software to boot the games, Im guessing it probably wont work, but that's just a thought...Im sure the last thing you would want is to fry your HD using this...[/QUOTE]

so guess it wont work then

[quote name='roguejedi5']Hmmm...region free dvd player, that would be nice. But how reliable is this device? My old gameshark had alot of problems after just 3 months. Am i going to have the same problems or worse?[/QUOTE]

I've had one for a while and haven't had any problems with it. I never had a problem with the file compression like RBM had. Of course, I ended up losing it and other saves after the whole PS2 Holiday Demo fiasco. I mainly bought mine for the all region DVD playability and I haven't had any problems yet. I'd say it's defintely worth the $15 bucks.

I would advise people NOT to buy this antiquated version. There is a reason Amazon is clearing out the old ones for $15. They won't work on the slimline PStwo and probably won't work on the SCPH-50001 either. Since this particular version they are selling in 2003, they have gone onto the version in 2004 that came with a usb drive and the latest one for 2005 that comes with a 16mb memory card that doesn't need software loaded in order to use first.

Basically when it comes to Action Replay products, I've always found that you positively must buy the latest version of it if you want it to work reliably.

This is the one you actually want: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007SV0TA/

Anything else and you're asking for trouble.

[quote name='Scrubking']Does this thing let you use the usb port to transfer saves via a flash drive??[/QUOTE]

Not this particular version. No USB flash drive support is present in the original AR Max. Only the "Evo" edition in 2004 and the latest 2005 model do.

[quote name='cag1000']at work cant acccess hot coffee explanation....anyone?[/QUOTE]

Hot coffee is a mod for GTA:SA that allows access to a mini game where Carl, the player, boinks his date in different positions.

Carl keeps all of his clothes on, but the girl is completely naked.

It's been in the news and might cause Rockstar to relist the game with an "Adults Only" rating.

Question: So if this makes your PS2 an All-Region DVD player, can you play import games as well?

[quote name='RBM']This is a neat doodad to have (it's nice knowing that you can play any DVD movie you come across, if you don't feel like modifying the DVD-rom drive on your pc with hacked firmware,) and it can be neat to input cheat codes to unlock extras after beating a game. [/QUOTE]

I didn't realize it, but I have 3 DVD playing programs on my computer:
- WinDVD
- Media Player
- Real Player

I set one to play Region 1 US releases, and another for Region 2 Japanese releases. No need ot hack your PC.

[quote name='CheapyD']However, if you don't have your PS2 online, the AR MAX is definitely not nearly as attractive. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='RBM']Why is that? It allows for cheat codes, all region DVD playback, and corruption-prone file compression on the PS2 memory card. I don't see how any of these are effected by internet access for the console (except the cheat codes...which I suppose some kids would want to use to gain an unfair advantage during online play. The codes themselves can be entered with a USB keyboard without online access and downloaded directly if available, I believe.)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, why is CheapyD saying this?
It's not as attractive to buy if you're not using this to cheat online? Just curious.

[quote name='sabin23']Yeah, why is CheapyD saying this?
It's not as attractive to buy if you're not using this to cheat online? Just curious.[/QUOTE]Just say no to online cheaters! AR MAX connects to the internet to download the latest cheat codes. Thats all I meant.

[quote name='GamerChris']Does it really not work with the SCPH-50001 ?? That's the version I have.[/QUOTE]

It's a 50/50 chance. The original printing of the disc, version 3.02, did not work with the 50001's but they followed that up with a version 3.10 disc that did. No way to tell looking at the package what version the disc is inside. Regardless I still say forget this buggy ancient version (online update sometimes works, most of the time doesn't on these old ones) and just spend the $ to get the latest fully functional one.

[quote name='CheapyD']Just say no to online cheaters! AR MAX connects to the internet to download the latest cheat codes. Thats all I meant.[/QUOTE]

thx for the clarification.

Yeah, I dislike online cheaters... I just picked up Socom at the CC sale. After I died I was watching from another player's point of view and they were walking through walls, hides inside the hills and snipes people. WTF!?! Forget playing that game online... at least I got a headset out of Socom.

Which version(s) play the old genesis games?

I know the Evo plays 'retro games':
"Exciting new functionality including MP3, the most popular movie file formats, CD-R compatibility, USB Flash drive support, PS2 online chat and even a retro games emulator"

but which games are 'retro'? How is the emulation? Also, what formats does it play back? I wish they gave more info, I hate ambiguity is advertising, I always come out disappointed.

[quote name='Ecofreak']I set one to play Region 1 US releases, and another for Region 2 Japanese releases. No need ot hack your PC.[/QUOTE]

I've only dealt with region 1 DVD's (or all-region DVD's) for quite some time, so I'm out of touch with this sort of thing...but I thought that once a DVD playing program set the region code on your DVD drive, that this set code would then be detected by any other programs seeking to use that drive to play DVD's. That is, if you used program A to set your one drive to region 1, that program B would automatically detect this and ask you if you wanted to change the region to region 2 if you tried to play a region 2 disc.

Anyhow, since I've admitted that I haven't dealt with this situation in quite some time, you probably have the right of it if you've done it recently. This was my impression, however. Needless to say, this only concerns pc DVD drives at any rate and doesn't impact those interested in the pro action replay max.

[quote name='cag1000']is this a good price[/quote]

Yes.

[quote name='cag1000']can anyone see this being cheaper in the near future??[/QUOTE]

Possibly.

Anyone who buys this for the purpose of accessing the GTA:SA content should do some long, hard reflecting on how much of a tool they are.

That was a bad innuendo, also.

I have the new PS2 slim version and had problems from this exact Action Replay....I even posted about this and had questions about problems I had with it:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55088

Nogib helped out on that one. I wouldn't recommend this at all for those with Slim PS2's so buyer beware....

EDIT: I almost forgot to add ummmmmmmm....coffee......arghhhhh...

Does anyone know if I can get that coffee to go--with CodeBreaker???

Does anyone know where I can download a copy of the action replay max software for the xbox version? I bought one of these things for NCAA Rosters last year and it worked out great. However, in my great mess of a room I managed to loose the disc that contained the software. I also had a hard drive crash earlier in the year which is why it is no longer on my hard drive. I looked around but to no avail. If anyone knows of any way to solve this problem without having to buy a new one it would be a great help. Thanks alot.

I was thinking about buying it as it's cheaper than another All region player that i want to have in my room upstairs, but it's got some pretty bad reviews. Think i'll wait a while.

bread's done
Back