Video Retailer Pays for Early 'Rings' DVD Sales (Reuters)

That makes me laugh :) I wonder how many of those were decoded and put online...

EDIT: Just read the whole article...man, are they ever in deep. Refusing to take them off shelves? A-holes.

Fine + No more copies + next releases unavailble to them= EB royally f'ing themselves...hard. This will have repurcussions too, from the games to other movies.

I love shit like this :)

[quote name='Wshakspear']That makes me laugh :) Iw onder how many of those were decoded and put online...[/quote]

Good call. Probably half of them! Im sure this will casue a shakeup in the dvd distrubution line now. fucking EB.

Why would anyone buy them at EB anyway? They could just wait a week to get them for $10 less and possibly with extra goodies at other stores.

LMAO! If EB does any sort of significant video business, they'll be getting more shipments. The 'don't violate street date' thing is hardly enforced. I was suprised to see this even mentioned. Don't believe me? Check your local Wal-Mart. They are notorious for violating street date on Disney movies. A lot of Disney movies have strange release dates (industry standard is new releases every Tuesday, and distributors stick to that). You'll see Disney movies due out on a Thursday or Friday. Wal-Mart will put them out almost as soon as the inventory hits their stores.

[quote name='PsyClerk']LMAO! If EB does any sort of significant video business, they'll be getting more shipments. The 'don't violate street date' thing is hardly enforced. I was suprised to see this even mentioned. Don't believe me? Check your local Wal-Mart. They are notorious for violating street date on Disney movies. A lot of Disney movies have strange release dates (industry standard is new releases every Tuesday, and distributors stick to that). You'll see Disney movies due out on a Thursday or Friday. Wal-Mart will put them out almost as soon as the inventory hits their stores.[/quote]

Walmart can pretty much get away with anything they want. EB doesn't have nearly that much power.

not all movies come out on tuesday, occasionally the official date will comply wit the release of a sequel or holiday season, its not common but a non tuesday release isn't unheard of

[quote name='hutno']not all movies come out on tuesday, occasionally the official date will comply wit the release of a sequel or holiday season, its not common but a non tuesday release isn't unheard of[/quote]

Having spent nearly 8 years in the business, I'm sort of aware of this. However the percentage of movies released on a day other than Tuesday is probably around 1%, if that high.

ROTOK is not one of those movies, so the point is fairly moot.

Also, as far as EB not having the power of Wal-Mart, that doesn't matter. They are a huge chain. Huge chains get hit with symbolic fines and/or actions. Street dates only keep independent stores in line.

Check out the freaky post count...#999.

Why do so many of you want to see EB fall? I personally don't want see anything bad happen to them since I have Psi-Ops, Halo 2, and Fable fully paid off at EB (thanks to the 4 for 1 trades before they had exlcusions).

I think alot of people dislike EB because they have ran into crappy employees or gotten burned trading in games. They have some real customer service issues. I swear they should just move all the friendly people from hot topic and move them EB so I never run into another rude person.

[quote name='ksuwild25']Why do so many of you want to see EB fall? I personally don't want see anything bad happen to them since I have Psi-Ops, Halo 2, and Fable fully paid off at EB (thanks to the 4 for 1 trades before they had exlcusions).[/quote]

- Poor customer service
- Selling open games as 'new'
- Pushy, inept employees
- Charging sales tax that is usually miscalculated

I'm sure there is more

[quote name='KingDox']I think alot of people dislike EB because they have ran into crappy employees or gotten burned trading in games. They have some real customer service issues. I swear they should just move all the friendly people from hot topic and move them EB so I never run into another rude person.[/quote]

hot topic employees are really friendly...

I hate having to go into a Hot Topic...
despite the fact that they have some cool stuff in there, I feel so drastically out of place when I step foot inside the door.

[quote name='Wshakspear']That makes me laugh :) I wonder how many of those were decoded and put online...[/quote]

Probably doesn't matter, since the 2 disc version of this movie has already been circulating for months now, albeit without any extras.

*edit*

Why is there a picture of Jack Black on the page with the story? I guess he does look like some Orc/Hobbit hybrid...

I visit three EB locations. The one at my nearest mall has employees that are the friendliest at any store of any kind. I once had the sales rep give me an Xbox mag. (with disc) for free after we had a lengthy conversation about old school games and newer ones such as Painkiller and R-Type Final. I've been greeted by name when I come in and we always have something to talk about.

The second EB games at a different mall seems to be in perpetual chaos. Long waits are common. Two weeks ago I brought a used box for Guilty gear X to the counter and after a search the man told me that he didn't have the disc (there were no other copies). Last weekend I went to that store and found a box for Guilty Gear X2 and bought it to the counter and...you guessed it, they didn't have that disc either. I was amazed. The clerk was stammering and I let it go gracefully. He gave me a demo of "Siren?" for the PS2 I guess as an apology. I took pity and left quietly.

My third location is online and with the discount codes for used games (no new games thanks to my cheap ass) the prices are mighty hard to beat. Ebay should link directly to the used section of EB and save a lot of dullards some cash.

I like EB.

I've never had a problem with eb online. They're fast, reasonably priced and any call to customer service I've had to make have been extremely positive.

EB brick and mortar stores are another deal altogether. I usually get in and out with a purchase knowing exactly what I want...on the few occasions I've had conversations with employees, I find them annoyingly stubborn with a severe lack of video game knowledge...

bread's done
Back