The Sega Genesis Case Project! -- We need your scans!!

daroga

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (100%)
Well, it was bound to happen, and perhaps this will be easier than the other projects. While there's a better chance that you'll receive a box with insert for the Genesis, I know there's a LOT of us out there with a lot of loose Genesis carts.

As with the SNES case project and the N64 project before it, this project is being designed for the cases available from MediaShelving.com (specific cases found here). While designed for the MediaShelving cases, the original Genesis cases aren't that much different in size. Probably it would only take minor resizing to get them to fit in the actual Genesis cases. If someone figures that out, I'll post the info here.

My personal goal for my personal collection is to have a set of cases that all match. I opted to go for the newer "red lines" look for the cases. Below you will find a template (which I put together using some of Mooky's matieral from his 2 cases below and lot of patience) to easily import box art from any Genesis game and have a consitant looking shelf. No doubt there are purests among us who would like their cases to be exact replicas (or as close as possible) to the original Genesis cases. If you want to go ahead and design those "near perfect" alternatives to ones made with the template, go right ahead. Also, if someone wants to make even slight changes to the template and post them, please do. You won't be treading on anyone's toes. :)

How can you help? Get out your Genesis boxes and start scanning! Scan the front and backs at 300dpi and situate them in such a way as to look nice on the background. The older cases might require some resizing to get the fronts to fit in the narrower space of the template/newer Genesis box design. As far as I'm concerned, be creative and see what you can come up with. I'm out of boxed Genesis games at the moment, so I can't contribute any more scans, though I'd be glad to help put together covers.

When you've got a cover complete, head on over to the Snackbar-Games to upload it (go here!). Make sure to mark the file as a Genesis game. (At the time of writing, the option was not there yet. It will be soon.)

If anyone wants raw scans of what I've done to work with, let me know and I'll post them.

Now to the fun stuff:
- Red Case Template (Photoshop File)
- Red Case Template (JPEG File without game name)
- Spine Template for games with no covers so that the spines can look right on your shelf. Makes 4 spines. (PSD file, 6.5 megs)
- Spine Template for games with no covers so that the spines can look right on your shelf. Makes 4 spines. (JPEG file, no game names)
- Red Case Template (Photoshop File)
- Sega Logo (Photoshop PSD file)
- Original Genesis Logo (Photoshop PSD file)
- Sega Seal of Quality (Photoshop PSD file)
- Guide for getting Virtua Racing to fit in the MediaShelving Cases

daroga

Completed Covers:
After Burner II
Battletoads / Double Dragon
Desert Strike
Ecco the Dolphin
Joe Montana 2 Sports Talk Football
Joe Montana '93
Prime Time Football Starring Deion Sanders
Road Rash II
Sonic the Hedgehog ("Not for Resale" Cover)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Street Fighter II: Special Championship Edition
Toe Jam & Earl
World Series Baseball

Offical Requests (though we need anything not completed):
Castlevania Bloodlines
Mutant League Football
NBA Jam: Tournament Edition
Rocket Knight Adventures
Sonic 1 (Plain, retail front cover)
Sonic Spinball
TazMania
Triple Score
Vectorman
Vectorman 2
Virtua Racing
Urban Strike
Zoop

If you need someone to take raw scans from you or you want to simply provide inserts through the mail to be scanned, contact me.

Happy Scanning!
daroga

Also, the paper inserts from the plastic Gen games are likely to be in better condition than the cardboard snes/n64/gba boxes. Plus, there would be little editting needed.

Yeah, I think by and large this prject will be much easier than the others. Just needed to get it off the ground :)

daroga

Probably are going to have to stretch out the original spines a bit more since the replacement cases are a bit larger no?? Not really that big of a deal.

Ok, in looking at the few cases I have it seems there were at least 3 or 4 setups for the Genesis boxes:
1) The Original black background with grey grid (much akin to the white/blue grid design of the SMS).
2) Same as 1 by and large except the grid is 1/2 filled in, in a checkerboard pattern (the only game I have like this is Sonic 2. Were there others?)
3) The later Genesis games had the red borders/spines with the diagonal bands of dark and light red.
4) Street Fighter 2: Championship Edition had a green and black case. It looks like this is a one time only case, not used by Capcom for other things, though I could be wrong.

So, my thought is this. Each case's box art and logos are slapped on over top of these patters with no transparency to the art. So, if we make templates of these patterns, making the cases will be as easy as scanning in the box art and the back box and pasting them into the appropriate spot on the template. This will also facilitate us making alternate covers in the other pattern designs (so if someone wants their entire Genesis collection to be the black pattern, that'll be easy, likewise the red). And if we base all the covers on the same templates, the spines should all print out to be exactly the same shades of red and/or black.

The covers I have available to work on are the following:
1) Sonic 1 (black grid [my version is the pack-in version with the console and thus has "not for resale" on it. can anyone scan the cover art without that banner over Sonic's head?])
2) Sonic 2 (checkerboard)
3) Sonic 3 (red)
4) Sonic & Knuckles (red)
5) Street Fighter 2: Championship Edition (black & green)
6) Battletoads Double Dragon (red)
7) Desert Strike (only have the front cover of what may have been the manual or may have been the insert, I'm not sure--no recognizable box pattern on it, shouldn't be part to plug into a template)
8) World Series Baseball (red)
9) After Burner II (black grid)
10) Prime Time NFL (red)
11) Sports Talk Foorball '93 (black grid)
12) Ecco the Dolphin (black grid)

Just in looking at the grid patterns, it looks like the size of the pattern varried a bit as well. I'll tweak all the patterns so that they fit on the MediaShelving cases. Can anyone take a look at the MediaShelving cases and let me know if Sonic & Knuckles will fit (and even more of a stretch, Virtua Racing). Just curious if the xacto knife will have to do some work or not.

daroga

Alright, the inserts for the Genesis games are SOOOOO close to the sizes we need for the cases that I opted to give it a shot with just a simple resize of the image. Can someone try to do a draft printing of this cover and let me know how the front/back/spine line up in a mediashelving case? I don't have any yet to try out. If you could post pics too, that'd be awesome :)

Ecco the Dolphin

daroga

Got a couple more for you to play with. The Sonic 3 one is pretty much as is with a little "aribrushing" to fix some tears and stuff (some of my other covers are in REALLY rough shape, should be fun :p). Sonic 2 is cleaned up and I removed the barcode from the spine. I think they're ugly there. Perhaps if I do that for others, I'll make the Genesis logo bigger.

Sonic 2
Sonic 3

Let me know what you guys think.

daroga

[quote name='daroga']Got a couple more for you to play with. The Sonic 3 one is pretty much as is with a little "aribrushing" to fix some tears and stuff (some of my other covers are in REALLY rough shape, should be fun :p). Sonic 2 is cleaned up and I removed the barcode from the spine. I think they're ugly there. Perhaps if I do that for others, I'll make the Genesis logo bigger.

Sonic 2
Sonic 3

Let me know what you guys think.

daroga[/QUOTE]

Very cool.

Do these fit in the Media Shelving cases?

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']Very cool.

Do these fit in the Media Shelving cases?[/QUOTE]

That's what they're designed for. The Genesis inserts are only off by 60 or so pixels when scanned at 300dpi from the proportions of the MedisShelving cases, so I've ever so slightly warped the scans to fit. However, if someone could even just print off a rough draft black and white version of one of these and test it out (I don't have any of these cases yet), I would be very grateful.

daroga

I don't have a Genesis yet (I plan on buying the sega systems I don't have soon), but here is one of my favorite games that has a port on SNES.

Here is a link to a site with decent sized scans of the boxes.

I gave Snowcone a Genesis Template to make them all match and here are some examples below. I used IMPACT - 36px for the spine font. He should post the link to the template soon.

Click on images to inlarge:

Awesome, awesome, awesome! I've got stuff still sitting on my computer. If I upload raw scans, does someone have the talent and desire to make covers out of them. I'm discovering my skill (and time) is very limited for this project. Or, can someone make a template of the black grid design as well?

Also, just mild nitpicks, the template isn't the right size. The final image size should be 3366 x 2100 pixels @ 300 dpi (front and back covers 1536 x 2100 each and the spine at 294 x 2100). I found a few typos in the "WARNING" paragraph by the barcode too. Look that over for a few words missing and the "u" sneaking in the "n"'s spot in "television."

Thanks all!
daroga

EDIT: I should talk about typos... good heavens.

[quote name='daroga']Also, just mild nitpicks, the template isn't the right size. The final image size should be 3366 x 2100 pixels @ 300 dpi (front and back covers 1536 x 2100 each and the spine at 294 x 2100). I found a few typos in the "WARNING" paragraph by the barcode too. Look that over for a few words missing and the "u" sneaking in the "n"'s spot in "television."

Thanks all!
daroga

EDIT: I should talk about typos... good heavens.[/QUOTE]

I'll fix the sizes, and give it to snow or you... so no one use it till I go ver.2 on it. Also, sorry about the typos! ;-) It was funny because I was thinking that the Warning label on the original misspelled "Genesis" .

[quote name='daroga']Awesome, awesome, awesome! I've got stuff still sitting on my computer. If I upload raw scans, does someone have the talent and desire to make covers out of them. I'm discovering my skill (and time) is very limited for this project. Or, can someone make a template of the black grid design as well?

Also, just mild nitpicks, the template isn't the right size. The final image size should be 3366 x 2100 pixels @ 300 dpi (front and back covers 1536 x 2100 each and the spine at 294 x 2100). I found a few typos in the "WARNING" paragraph by the barcode too. Look that over for a few words missing and the "u" sneaking in the "n"'s spot in "television."

Thanks all!
daroga

EDIT: I should talk about typos... good heavens.[/QUOTE]

I'll make the grid design template as well too... ;-)

Once we get these templates done, I'll update the first post so people can start cranking these out easily. Ignore my earlier image posts.

daroga

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I'll make the grid design template as well too... ;-)[/QUOTE]

Awesome! I'm thinking using the older Genesis logo on the spine (see Sonic 2 & Ecco) would make the most sense for that template. Make sense to you?

daroga

Daroga, would there be any way to easily resize these to the original Genesis black case? I've got some extras of those lying around that I'd love to put some of these in. I'll dig around and see what covers I've got too. Is there a place to put raws up for people without the skills?

[quote name='Segafiend']Daroga, would there be any way to easily resize these to the original Genesis black case? I've got some extras of those lying around that I'd love to put some of these in. I'll dig around and see what covers I've got too. Is there a place to put raws up for people without the skills?[/QUOTE]

Really, these inserts are very, very close to the original's size. In fact, with a little bit of trimming around the edges (or maybe without any) the MediaShelving inserts would be able to fit into the original Genesis cases.

Using a little bit of Mooky's submission above I tihnk I've just about got a nice template done for the red cases. I've put together a Sonic 2 case (which retains a bit of the old design because a) I like the nod to the classic Genesis cases and b) it'd be a pain in the butt to get rid of all of that. Let me know what you think, you can find it here. Also, Prime Time Football Starring Deion Sanders test can be found here

I'd be more than happy to take your raw scans and try to put them together. PM me or AIM me (daroga28) and we'll work it out.

daroga

Ok, I have aprrox. 50 cases from http://www.mediacases.com with the plastic sleeves I want to unload. I am selling them for $ .61 cents each plus what ever the shipping cost is to send to who buys them. Not making any money off this .61cents is the price that I paid for the cases and shipping to get to me. Private message me if anyone is interested. I can accept paypal and money orders

If anyone has the Castlevania Bloodlines box art, please scan. In the mean time, I will try and create a few new scans of different games myself this weekend, hopefully I can post by sunday, just so busy. DAMN, WORK SUCKS!!!

Uploaded all but 2 of the cases I have to offer. We need more help! Let me know if you need a place to dump raw scans.

daroga

I have

road rash 2
NBA Live 95
Lion King
Beavis and Butthead
NBA JAM
Wrestlemania The Arcade Game
NHL 95
Captain AMerica and the Avengers
Bulls Verses Blazers
Evander Holyfield Real Deal Boxing
WWF RAW
WWF Royal Rumble
Super Wrestlemania

Which ones should i scan? I know with the sports games most people arent even gonna want so i just wanted to get your guys feedback.

Certainly Lion King, Beavis and Butthead, NBA Jam, and Captin America. I can scan Road Rash 2 if you'd rather not. Really anything at this point would be worthwhile, whatever you've got time for. :)

Thanks!

Uploaded the last 2 covers I have to contribute and organized the lists in the OP. Anyone else have a scanner and access to game covers?

daroga

Ok, I need to rant a little bit...

I went to Office Max to get the Genny stuff printed. I had a meeting to go to, so my fiancee went to pick it up for me. When I was at the store, the girl working in the print department was a total space cadet. I explained how we've had issues with it not printing to be the right size, and that each folder name has in it the exact dimensions the printed products should be. I could tell she didn't understand a word I said, but I gave her the benefit of the doubt. I told my fiancee to make sure the print outs were the right size. She forgot (not really her fault, I didn't emphasize that enough) and paid for them. Not only were they all too big (filling legal size sheets), but the dark red lines on the genesis stuff didn't even show up, AT ALL. I just printed a test on my $50 Canon inkjet and it printed the colors just fine. A multi-thousand dollar printer can't get it right? What the heck?

There's a little box on the recepit saying, "Sign this because everythign is good." My fiancee never signed it (was never asked to) so I'm hoping I can get my money back, and maybe even get them printed properly, or at least use the money to get a color ink cartridge for my home printer and some legal paper.

Why are people so incompetent? I understand the size thing, but the print outs were obviously VERY wrong from what was on the screen. ARGH!

Anyway, one way or another this is going to get figured out ;)

daroga

I'd hate to see this project die away. Anyway, I'd be able to provide scans for, Jungle Strike, NBA Live 95, Mortal Kombat, and Starflight. Let me know where you'd want me to send these scans to.

[quote name='FFMooglestar']I'd hate to see this project die away. Anyway, I'd be able to provide scans for, Jungle Strike, NBA Live 95, Mortal Kombat, and Starflight. Let me know where you'd want me to send these scans to.[/QUOTE]

If you can put together the cover, I can host it. PM me :)

daroga

Hey guys, I found this site while looking for info on replacement Sega CD cases (will look for or make a new thread on that so don't bother responding here), found this thread...

Here's a list of what I have covers in good condition for:

-Twin Cobra
-Robo-Kid
-RBI Baseball 3
-Fire Strike
-Air Buster
-Fatal Fury III
-Splatterhouse 3
-Whip Rush
-Paperboy (not perfect, but pretty good, can probably be made perfect with a little editing)
-Bonanza Brothers
-Thunder Force II
-Midnight Resistance (the very bottom few mm of it slipped out of the plastic and is screwed up, but most of it is good)
-Streets of Rage
-Fantasia
-Jurassic Park
-Sonic 2
-Speedball
-Castle of Illusion
-World of Illusion

I have lots more games, but those are the good cases I can find. I don't have a scanner at the moment, though.

I hope this project hasn't died, I'm really interested. I have these covers if anyone needs a scan, some might not be in the best condition. I have 60+ Gensesis games, but most are boxless, if you need cart pics.

Sonic 1 (Not For Resale)
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Garfield: Caught in the Act
Rocket Knight Adventures (Sparkster)
Knuckles Chaotix (32x- Cardboard box is in great condition)
Batman Forever
Madden 97
Lion King
NBA Live 95
Golden Axe 2
Space Harrier 2
The Great Circus Mystery with Mickey and Minnie (Magical Quest 2)
World Series Baseball
Aladin
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco Tides of Time
Ecco Jr.
Pacman 2- The New Adventures
Landstalker
Shining Force
Double Dragon

I might have more. If some of the scans are bad, it's for one of two reasons.

1. My scanner sucks =\
2. I was born in 1992, and spent alot of my early childhood on NES and SNES. By the time I got into Genesis, it was almost obsolete.

I've got some stuff all scanned in. Just need to clean it up a bit and I will post it up. I notice that snackbar does not have the option to choose genesis for the case upload. Here is what I have almost ready to go

Old Sonic 1
Old Sonic 2
Jungle Strike
Sonic Spinball
NBA JAM
ESPN Baseball Tonight
PGA Golf Tour 2
Pebble Beach Golf Links
PGA Tour 96
Moto Cross (32x)
Doom 32x (32x)
Shadow Squadron (32x)
Golf Magazine 36 Great Holes (32x)

I will make some clean back/front and spine images for the 32X games as well if anyone wants to try to hack some covers together. I'll try to have it up in a few more days

this is just what i was looking for ^_^.

do you guy's know of a good place to find the original Genesis cases? I was thinking that my best bet would be to buy a bunch of crappy games that actually have cases, and then sell or recycle the games inside.

Most of the games i own you guys already have scans for but i could provide Earthworm Jim, Altered Beast and James Pond II. I also have alot of vidpros from Toy's R us. vidpro's are those cards that Toys R Us used to have in the aisles to showcase their videogames. They have a detailed pictures of both the cover art and back art. Now-a-days, modern Toys R Us stores have the Rzone, thus retiring their vidpro system.

I haven't sifted through them in a while, but there should be Genesis games in there. I have all Sega CD games and a bunch of Snes ones. I'll keep you guys posted.

I'm looking for slip cover scans of the following games:
James Pond 1 (...don't ask)
Gunstar Heroes
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
Columns
... and any other games that my girlfriend will end up buying w/o a case.

Alright, I'm gonna bump this up and see if we can't get something rolling here.

I'm just getting my genesis covers that I made printed. They're looking really nice. A problem I had was finding a printer that would do a decent job with the red bars in the background. Found one and now I'm getting them printed. Sadly, all my Genesis stuff is at home so I can't get them *all* put together now. Luckily, I scanned everything I owned this summer.

These are designed for the Media Shelving cases, though a slight modification would get them into the original Genesis cases.

If anyone is interested in having the video game inserts that are available for download printed out but don't have the resources to do it I'm offering a print service at a cost of $0.35 per insert plus a small S&H fee. I can print them out on a thin, glossy cardstock that will hold up better than paper. The printer I use is a high end commercial grade color laser that's as big as a washing machine, no kidding, and it does an incredible job. The only thing I ask is that you order a minimum of two inserts because the sheets I use are 12" x 18" and this will help prevent wasting the cardstock. If you check my feedback you'll see that I already have two very satisfied customers.

bread's done
Back