What does "owned" or "ownz" mean?

imacheapasstoo

CAGiversary!
I realize I'm showing my age by asking this, but I keep seeing it online and hearing it from other people, and I'm too embarassed to ask them what it means. I figure I can ask here and probably not be ridiculed... at least not openly. heh

What does "owned" or "ownz" mean? I'm referring to the phrase " ownz you" or "owned by "

People like me need a translation service to translate from words the younger generation uses to words we grew up with, like "totally" and "gnarly" and "grody to the max".

I miss the 80s.

Sweet! Thanks for that link.

Now I can pretend I'm hip. Or is "hip" no longer a cool word? Is "cool" no longer cool? *sigh*

To be owned or the newer version pwned is to be defeated hard in a game or to be ridiculed publicly by someone. Or to just be in a submissive position to someone. Pwned is spelled with a 'p' to denote a common internet meme - intentional bad spelling. Other intentionally misspelled words include the (teh) or the ever popular acronym for 'oh my god' - omg - which is spelled zomg.

Example:

jaykrue finishes imacheapasstoo with an uppercut in Street Fighter 2

Game announcer: Perfect! You win!

jaykrue: Haha bitch! You just got owned!

[quote name='imacheapasstoo']Sweet! Thanks for that link.

Now I can pretend I'm hip. Or is "hip" no longer a cool word? Is "cool" no longer cool? *sigh*[/QUOTE]

'Trendy' is the new 'hip'.

Or, if you're even cooler, such as myself, you use 'Pwnt', popularized by this:

pwnt2eq1cd.gif

It's much more pretentous, and just sounds snobby or sophisticated. I love it.

[quote name='Tiphireth']Or, if you're even cooler, such as myself, you use 'Pwnt', popularized by this:

It's much more pretentous, and just sounds snobby or sophisticated. I love it.[/QUOTE]

The first rule of CAG is: Don't act like Tiph

I have a question, though. If you were to say "pwned," wouldn't you just say it as "owned"?

There's this really stupid guy I always at the store that always has to overuse the latest phrases, and he says stuff like this:

(sees a little kid fall off a shopping cart)
Stupid guy: He just got "pawned."

Yes, he pronounces "pwned" as "pawned," as in, "I needed some cash so I 'pawned' some items at the pawn shop."

[quote name='Saucy Jack']I have a question, though. If you were to say "pwned," wouldn't you just say it as "owned"?

There's this really stupid guy I always at the store that always has to overuse the latest phrases, and he says stuff like this:

Yes, he pronounces "pwned" as "pawned," as in, "I needed some cash so I 'pawned' some items at the pawn shop."[/QUOTE]
correct him then say "you just got pwned dumbass!! go lick my shoes" or something like that

[quote name='Saucy Jack']I have a question, though. If you were to say "pwned," wouldn't you just say it as "owned"?

Yes, he pronounces "pwned" as "pawned," as in, "I needed some cash so I 'pawned' some items at the pawn shop."[/QUOTE]

yeah, it's still pronounced 'owned'. I know someone who says 'pee-owned' and that in itself sounds stupid. Pwned works better as a written word than a spoken one but still even then the phrase is getting played out too much as it is.

[quote name='jaykrue']yeah, it's still pronounced 'owned'. I know someone who says 'pee-owned' and that in itself sounds stupid. Pwned works better as a written word than a spoken one but still even then the phrase is getting played out too much as it is.[/QUOTE]
The people I know that use it jokingly pronounce it as "powned" which is the best pronunciation of it if one must use it. It shows that you owned that person, object, or whatever to the degree that the "p" was added. :D

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The people I know that use it jokingly pronounce it as "powned" which is the best pronunciation of it if one must use it. It shows that you owned that person, object, or whatever to the degree that the "p" was added. :D[/QUOTE]

Still sounds stupid. :lol:

You should ask AngellicLulu too. Apparently she has a friend that says that a lot.

bread's done
Back