Fighter Thread 2: Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Apossum

hitomi_vs_lei_fang.jpg

Hitomi says:
"Talk about fighters or else I'll kick you in the nutsack-uh"

Could I have Zangeif piledrive me insted?

Has anyone seen any new shots for KOF XI besides the ones from Arcadia? I've yet to see any pics of Duck King yet.

www.neogeoforlife.com

I use to visit that site alot, but not as much as I use to. I think it has some good recent pics of the new KoF.

anyone wanna talk about some older, un-successful fighting game series? Battle arena toshiden anyone? vs? fighting vipers? ehgriez? plasma sword? rival schools/Project Justice (this one is the best IMO)? that sonic the hedghog fighting game? pocket fighter? ... I know there's more.

also a question to bring up: what needs to be done to pull people who love fighters to be as deeply devoted to beat-em-ups? I know we all love them, but we don't work on our skills as much as a regular fighter.

also, I just picked up ehgriez last night and realized the character Godhand is related to the Mishima family from Tekken...

nice title OP :)

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Could I have Zangeif piledrive me insted?[/QUOTE]
Speaking of which, your sig is the greatest thing in the history of the internet.

Toshinden 2 used to rule my PS1...I usually played as the chick with the whip.
As for fighting vipers, I get my fix of that every once in a while through Fighters Megamix. That game had so many unlockable characters! The daytona car ruled!

BAT2 was a damn good game. I snagged it off of ebay a few months ago for 7 bucks +shipping. Too bad 3 paled in comparison.

I'm a big fan of Rival Schools too, although I rarely get the chance to play the original (I regret not snagging the copy I saw at Gamestop awhile ago). I have Project Justice for DC tho. My personal favorte character was Roberto.

Anyone get a chance to try out Tekken 5.1 in the arcades? I haven't seen a cabinet running it yet but zaibatsu says they are popping up in the us. I'm pretty sure R.Rolento dislikes the Bryan changes on paper as much as I am, and it looks like Feng has been totally raped.

[quote name='Purple Flames']I'm a big fan of Rival Schools too, although I rarely get the chance to play the original (I regret not snagging the copy I saw at Gamestop awhile ago). I have Project Justice for DC tho. My personal favorte character was Roberto.[/QUOTE]
I'm all about Akira in Rival Schools/Project Justice. It's a shame that Rival schools and Power stone series don't have any titles in the current gen.

Power Stone was kinda meh for me. Outside Smash Bros. I'm not too big on the whole 4-player free-for-all deal. Too much going on on the screen at once and kinda hard to keep track of whose ass you're supposed to be kicking.

[quote name='Apossum']congrats, you both look like idiots....back to fighters, mmmkay?[/QUOTE]

How dare you disrepect me like this. Without me you'd be posting your fighting game shit on other forums!

!!!

Rival Schools was worse than I remembered it. Limits on how much you can hit people in the air = retarded.

Great title OP.

I love the Rival School series and really should pick it up one of these days again. It was a lot of fun as I remember it.

Power Stone was awesome and only 1 sequel for it does not suffice. They should have had more this generation.

Ehrgeiz is pretty meh to me, but I wouldn't mind picking it up again just for nostalgia.

I've only come across/seen that Sonic fighting game at a Gameworks, but it was so-so. I mean for the time the graphics were probably pretty good, but the camera in the game is all wonky and the moves barely pick up.

I've been playing a ton of Soul Calibur 2 recently, both at home and the arcades. Been in a few tournaments recently and have been mainly just increasing my characters' win percentages at the arcades. I have a Voldo with 400 wins and 90 losses, two talims, one with 1000 wins and 100 losses and one with 400 wins and 200 losses.

I've also had a hankering for Tekken 5 that is testing my CAG will power. I've nearly gone out and bought the game at $50 6 times.

Not too many arcades around here.. I hope Tekken 5.1 is released for the PS2 stateside.. I don't know if I'd pay $50 for it.. but definitely $20.

Ah Tekken 5, that last game I paid retail for....

I need to brush up on that because I'm sick of getting my ass handed to me at the arcade. I use King mostly but I don't use him the way I should be. I need to practice more and learn to do his chain throws and some effective juggles.

[quote name='TheUnsane1']I'm all about Akira in Rival Schools/Project Justice. It's a shame that Rival schools and Power stone series don't have any titles in the current gen.[/QUOTE]
Strategy in Project Justice:

Step 1: Pick Roberto
Step 2: Win
Step 3: Repeat as necessary

Still a fun game though.

Roberto from Rival Schools is probably one of the cheaper characters. I know he's got a super long combo that's easy to pull off. I always liked Roy, he reminds me of Terry Bogard. Nagare (I think) the swimer, was a funny character. His "mouth to mouth" move is great, plus his stance is just funny. Guys always gag when they see him in his speedo.

I wish the little extra board game from the Japanese Rival Schools 3 was also brought over to the states. It looked like fun to play.

I was just playing Tobal no.1 last night and I'm amazed at how well it's held up over time. It feels a lot different than any other fighter and even has a decent amount of depth to it, though it can be a pain in the ass at times. but I'm totally beating the quest mode this week!

Also noticed that it's designed by Akira Toriyama...the back of the instructions say "Check out the new series by the creator of Tobal No.1 -- DRAGON BALL Z!"
:lol: I guess you could reverse that statement nowadays, eh?

[quote name='The VGM']How dare you disrepect me like this. Without me you'd be posting your fighting game shit on other forums!

!!!

Rival Schools was worse than I remembered it. Limits on how much you can hit people in the air = retarded.[/QUOTE]

:lol: I blame it mostly on the other guy VGM.

[quote name='Apossum']I was just playing Tobal no.1 last night and I'm amazed at how well it's held up over time. It feels a lot different than any other fighter and even has a decent amount of depth to it, though it can be a pain in the ass at times. but I'm totally beating the quest mode this week!

Also noticed that it's designed by Akira Toriyama...the back of the instructions say "Check out the new series by the creator of Tobal No.1 -- DRAGON BALL Z!"
:lol: I guess you could reverse that statement nowadays, eh? [/QUOTE]

You never saw the simliarity in the guy white black and white hair and Goku? The same guy did the characters in Chrono Trigger right?

The only thing I find that's a pain in the ass is quest mode. I never got any secret characters becasue of it. My favorite guy is the robot, followed by the old man (it's been to long to remember the names).

[quote name='The VGM']You never saw the simliarity in the guy white black and white hair and Goku? The same guy did the characters in Chrono Trigger right?

The only thing I find that's a pain in the ass is quest mode. I never got any secret characters becasue of it. My favorite guy is the robot, followed by the old man (it's been to long to remember the names).[/QUOTE]

I don't know who Goku is, not a DBZ fan. Quest mode is tough, especially when you die at the boss of a stage, but I like it much better than I did back in the day.

I think I'm the only person I know who didn't buy the game just for the FFVII demo-- though I was completely blown away by it like every one else.

I don't remember when I bought the game, but it definately wasn't for the FF Demo. I let my mom's friend borrow it for a long time (I got it back like 4 months ago). Goku is the main character. If you've ever seen anything DBZ anywhere, you've seen him.

I got Tobal No. 1 about a year ago for 5 bucks at Gamestop complete. It even came with the FFVII demo, but since I hate FFVII that was the farthest reason for me purchasing it.

I only really bought it for collector's value since it's pretty hard to come by and I couldn't ignore the price.

I bought it along with Bushido Blade on their respective release days...both of those games need sequels. Bushido Blade was so much fun, a fight could last a half hour, yet it only took one hit to kill the guy.

by the by, anyonewho says tekken sucks needs to suck a long hard one...

yeah, I am kinda pissed at the changes made on bryan (especially his Mach Punsh delay... if I read it right) in Tekken 5.1

I highly doubt we will see a console release of Tekken 5.1. The team working on the tekken series is busy as is. They're working on both Urban Reign (Paul and Law are in the game) and Tekken on the PS3. so tey have their hands full unless another namco hometech team puts it all together.

to bring up some good questions... answer whatever ones you like:

1. What fighting game has the best announcer/narrator/MC? the worst?
2. What fighting game has the best intro? the worst?
3. What is the worst looking fighting game you have ever played?
4. What is the most unfair fighting game you have ever played
(unbeatable/impossible AI)?
5. Would you like to see a new type of fighting game that plays in First-Person view and actually plays good (I may be working on a game like this soon)?
6. What fighting game has the best character(s) design? the worst?
7. What fighting game has the best soundtrack? the worst?
8. What was the best year for fighting games in your opninion?

Answeing my own questions:

1. What fighting game has the best announcer/narrator/MC? the worst? Best... for me, either Last Blade 2 (have no idea why?) or SFA3.... worst, um... er KOF Max Impact.

2. What fighting game has the best intro? the worst? Tie for me: SFA3 and Tekken 5, but tekken kinda wins since it has some of the best game intros in gaming history IMO. Worst has to be VF4

3. What is the worst looking fighting game you have ever played? Street Fighter the Movie

(unbeatable/impossible AI)? Mortal Kombat Series

5. Would you like to see a new type of fighting game that plays in First-Person view and actually plays good (I may be working on a game like this soon)? yes, because I want to make a game on this ;)

best is hard to say, but I like the character desing in Rival Schools alot. Worst has to be World Heros.

7. What fighting game has the best soundtrack? the worst? Tekken 5 or Soul Calibur 2. Worst is MVC2 not because it's bad, but it just is not good for the mood.

8. What was the best year for fighting games in your opninion? I do not know... probably 1997 just because I started my love for tekken back in the day...

1. What fighting game has the best announcer/narrator/MC? the worst? The Best: Street Fighter III: Third Strike. The Worst: Double Dragon on the NeoGeo

2. What fighting game has the best intro? Soul Blade

3. What is the worst looking fighting game you have ever played? Street Fghter: The Movie

4. What is the most unfair fighting game you have ever played? Super Street Fighter II Turbo

5. Would you like to see a new type of fighting game that plays in First-Person view and actually plays good (I may be working on a game like this soon)? No, just give me more good 2D fighters

6. What fighting game has the best character(s) design? the worst? The Best: Guilty Gear. Not a single karate gi in sight. The Worst: The original Street Fighter
7. What fighting game has the best soundtrack? the worst? The Best: Street Fighter III: Third Strike. The Worst: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

8. What was the best year for fighting games in your opninion? 1999, the year Third Strike was released

[quote name='The VGM']Pretty sure both have sequals. Or do you mean a 3rd game for both?[/QUOTE]

3rd game for both!

come to think of it, the sequels to both of those games were pretty mediocre.

and the survey--

Mortal Kombat has the best announcer. C vs. SNK 2 had a pretty bad announcer.

Best: DoA 3.1 (japanese version)

Worst: Mortal Kombat: Deception. Raiden's dead. oh but now he's back. and Quan Chi kills Shang Tsung! oh but now he's alive again too! and all 3 are now killing some other guy!! blech.

FX fighter or Pray for Death on the PC.

Mortal Kombat 1-3 in the arcade set to the highest difficulty. after beating the first couple guys, you literally can't touch the computer-- you get thrown and countered every time.

5. Would you like to see a new type of fighting game that plays in First-Person view and actually plays good (I may be working on a game like this soon)?

I'd be cautious of it, but I would definitely play it.

my current favorite is Melty Blood- i like the Tsukihime characters a lot.

worst-- easily Rise of the Robots.

Melty Blood has my favorite soundtrack of all time hands down. It's not cheesy in the least and actually gets me pretty pumped. Tekken 5 comes in a close second.

but the Dead or Alive series has the worst music! The stage songs are just awful and Itagaki needs to get over his Aerosmith obsession. that's my main complaint about the whole series.

I like the quality of the games best nowadays but there is nothing quite like the early to mid-90s for the arcade fighting game scene. Tons of people played them, there were always huge lines and it was just a lot of fun. especially when you school 20 guys in a row and people keep coming up and pretty soon everyone in the arcade is lining up to try to beat you :lol:
kinda like DDR nowadays, but even bigger. There were also tons of different fighting games at any given arcade. Nowadays it's either empty or crowded by experts. the fun factor isn't really there.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Ah Tekken 5, that last game I paid retail for....

I need to brush up on that because I'm sick of getting my ass handed to me at the arcade. I use King mostly but I don't use him the way I should be. I need to practice more and learn to do his chain throws and some effective juggles.[/QUOTE]

I love King and how his combos haven't changed much since the early days. I remember practicing days on end to get some of his more difficult combo holds/throws timed perfectly and I just got it. Now I can do it basically any time. Oh and to Rolento with the questions, too many questions;)

[quote name='Apossum']

Melty Blood has my favorite soundtrack of all time hands down. It's not cheesy in the least and actually gets me pretty pumped. Tekken 5 comes in a close second.

but the Dead or Alive series has the worst music! The stage songs are just awful and Itagaki needs to get over his Aerosmith obsession. that's my main complaint about the whole series.

I like the quality of the games best nowadays but there is nothing quite like the early to mid-90s for the arcade fighting game scene. Tons of people played them, there were always huge lines and it was just a lot of fun. especially when you school 20 guys in a row and people keep coming up and pretty soon everyone in the arcade is lining up to try to beat you :lol:
kinda like DDR nowadays, but even bigger. There were also tons of different fighting games at any given arcade. Nowadays it's either empty or crowded by experts. the fun factor isn't really there.[/QUOTE]

yeah, it totally forgot how bothered I was witht he music when playing DOA3. it was okay music, but kinda cheesey and didn't pair too well with the onscreen action.

I miss the arcade days also... someday there will be another uprising (probaby our kids after they exist) of arcade players... or at least I hope so.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']by the by, anyonewho says tekken sucks needs to suck a long hard one...[/QUOTE]

Tekken 5 sucks. 2 no, 3 no, TT no, even T4 no, but 5 sucks.

Best: Samurai Shodown. IPPON! or Guilty Gear X, the wierd sounding dude
Worst: CvS2 That guys pisses me the fuck off.

I skip most of them but best would be one of the vs games, I'll get back to you on that one.

Primal Rage on Genesis IMO. It looked real bad compared to the Arcade.

I dunno, does mame count? When they get the good fighters like Evil Dan, the cpu rapes you.

No.

Best: Guilty Gear/Street Fighter
Worst: Don't know

Best: MvC2. Yeah I said it
Worst: Dunno

Couldn't tell you.

Yeah, my answers suck.

Tekken 5 is the best Tekken so far, followed by either 3 or Tag.

Worst fighting game (graphics-wise): Street Fighter 1

King is mainly a poker.. you're supposed to play him offensively, multi-throws aren't very effective against people who know how to do them (like me) and can easily cancel them. A good King player knows how to abuse the 1,2,grab combo's :) Also remember to finish off all your juggles with a grab.

- Best - Probably Guilty Gear XX. The weird guy saying hevean or hell is cool.
- Worst - Tech Romancer, some geeky guy straining his voice to sound cool. Even though it's bad, it's funny.

- Best - KOF 98' for Dremcast. Anything with animated Billy Kane is cool.
- Worst - Any MVC intros, BORING. It doesn't get you into the game.

- It's a tie. Street Fighter the Movie Game. It didn't play so bad but it was awful looking. Blanka looked like $hit. Plus Fight for Life on Jaguar. Not only does it look bad but it plays bad. Probably the worst fighter ever.

- If anyone's played Guilty Gear XX's mission modes you know what I mean. One of them is just impossible.

- Doesn't sound intresting to me, but it depends if it plays good. I dislike FPS.

- Best - Guilty Gear, very original characters
- Worst - Virtua Fighter, great gameplay but just look at Akira, no personality. Thanks to Evolution's feature you can change that though.

- Best - Battle Arena Toshinden 2, I used to pop that in my CD player all the time.
- Worst - Marvel vs Capcom 2, by far. Sorry VGM but theirs no denying it.

- It's hard to say an exact year but mid 90's were the best for me. SNK and Capcom were both releasing 2D fighters, plus you had games like Killer Insticnt and Mortal Kombat hitting the scene. It's when their was competition for the market, now one really cares. Plus then everything still seemed new and graphics didn't matter much. In whole, fighting fans are jaded, plus graphics seem to make the game by Americian standards.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']8. What was the best year for fighting games in your opninion?
- It's hard to say an exact year but mid 90's were the best for me. SNK and Capcom were both releasing 2D fighters, plus you had games like Killer Insticnt and Mortal Kombat hitting the scene. It's when their was competition for the market, now one really cares. Plus then everything still seemed new and graphics didn't matter much. In whole, fighting fans are jaded, plus graphics seem to make the game by Americian standards.[/QUOTE]

hmmm, you make a good point there. It seemse that, on the terms of graphics nowadays, the only two types of gamers that seem to not be as bothered by graphics as almost all other types of gamers has to be both old-school gamers and people who like fighters... I still enjoy my good old KoF 95 now and then, even with such dated graphics. The thing with "common" amercian standards is graphics are the biggest pull, which is somewhat sad. The japanese, on the other hand, seem to put gameplay as the biggest pull. Proof of this shows in the sale numbers of Nintendogs. Not the best looking game, but a load of gameplay.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']hmmm, you make a good point there. It seemse that, on the terms of graphics nowadays, the only two types of gamers that seem to not be as bothered by graphics as almost all other types of gamers has to be both old-school gamers and people who like fighters... I still enjoy my good old KoF 95 now and then, even with such dated graphics. The thing with "common" amercian standards is graphics are the biggest pull, which is somewhat sad. The japanese, on the other hand, seem to put gameplay as the biggest pull. Proof of this shows in the sale numbers of Nintendogs. Not the best looking game, but a load of gameplay.[/QUOTE]

It's sad that graphics play a big part in buying or reviewing games in the states. I used to be in animation in collage so I know that 2D animation can be just as hard as 3D. In a sense I respect 2D animation much more. Plus 3D animaters don't actually animate now. It's mostly motion caputred.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']It's sad that graphics play a big part in buying or reviewing games in the states. I used to be in animation in collage so I know that 2D animation can be just as hard as 3D. In a sense I respect 2D animation much more. Plus 3D animaters don't actually animate now. It's mostly motion caputred.[/QUOTE]

That couldn't be further from the truth. I read in EGM where they were reviewing Star Wars Episode III for the DS and they're saying how it looks like a SNES game and complaining. I'm on the other hand thinking (SNES) cool!

If you look at some of the older 2D fighters as compared to their newer and updated versions its really great to see how the animation evolved over time.

In a sense I respect 2D animation much more

Agreed. I look at games like SF3, Guity Gear, Melty Blood, Alien Hominid and various GBA games, and my jaw drops. it takes a lot more to impress me with CG. I can only watch so many cool cutscenes featuring the latest cool matrix-effect before I get bored.

I wish there was more interest in creating 2D animated sprites. It seems like just when things started getting hot, everyone decided to hop on to the 3-D bandwagon and try and make everything realistic. What the hell is this tendency towards making things look real anyway? I got into games to ESCAPE reality and visit other worlds. :lol: j.k. I do enjoy a surreal spin on reality, but 2D shouldn't be dying.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']7. What fighting game has the best soundtrack? the worst?
- Worst - Marvel vs Capcom 2, by far. Sorry VGM but theirs no denying it.[/QUOTE]

You will burn in hell! :hot:

[quote name='Apossum']
I wish there was more interest in creating 2D animated sprites. It seems like just when things started getting hot, everyone decided to hop on to the 3-D bandwagon and try and make everything realistic. What the hell is this tendency towards making things look real anyway? I got into games to ESCAPE reality and visit other worlds. :lol: j.k. I do enjoy a surreal spin on reality, but 2D shouldn't be dying.[/QUOTE]

I think the trend is moving towards 3D characters that react as fluidly as a 2D sprites. The more polys a system can push to build the characters, the more features can be articulated on the character model, and the closer things will come to the hand-drawn 2D style.

I think I'd rather just see more 2D fighters with really nice-looking sprites along the lines of the ones in Street Fighter III.

I'm just nostalgic like that.

yeah... i think nice animation started with SNK's king of fighters, but now games such as SFIII and GGX/XX go even further and are even better. I still think there is alot fo room for improvement (think the animation of old disney films... that's damn impressive!) but 2D art usually takes alot more hard work animating correctly than 3d

5.1 should be shipping soon, very soon. Expect it!

I still don't know what to think about 5.1... we'll have to see.

Also if you're a fighting game fan, you HAVE TO check out EVOLUTION 2005. It's in 2 weeks! In Las Vegas, NV. The best players in the world will be attending for a multitude of fighting game titles... don't miss it!

Oh, and I hope you guys enjoy my 5.1 updates that I post on Zaibatsu. :)

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']yeah... i think nice animation started with SNK's king of fighters, but now games such as SFIII and GGX/XX go even further and are even better. I still think there is alot fo room for improvement (think the animation of old disney films... that's damn impressive!) but 2D art usually takes alot more hard work animating correctly than 3d[/QUOTE]

Honestly, GGXX's animation isn't all that great. The sprites are in hi-res, but the actual animation qaulity isn't higher than KOF. But that doesn't take away from the game, it plays fast so it has the right amount of animated frames.

Another very intresting game is Rumble Fish 2. I played it for the first time a couple weeks ago. The sprites seem like a mix of 3D/2D and flash. It plays great and I'm surprised I don't see more people talking about it. The character designs are intresting, not as crazy as GG but very good. I haven't seen it in any American arcades though, did it even come out? Plus are we gonna see this states side? Anyone else play it, and if so what do you think of it?

[quote name='MarkMan']5.1 should be shipping soon, very soon. Expect it!

I still don't know what to think about 5.1... we'll have to see.

Also if you're a fighting game fan, you HAVE TO check out EVOLUTION 2005. It's in 2 weeks! In Las Vegas, NV. The best players in the world will be attending for a multitude of fighting game titles... don't miss it!

Oh, and I hope you guys enjoy my 5.1 updates that I post on Zaibatsu. :)[/QUOTE]

I plan on ordering the DVD like I did for last year's tournament. Pretty good matches for the 2D games (I didn't care for the 3D fighters), though I wish there was more character variety beind used in the games. In 3S it was a Yun/Chun-Li/Ken-fest with the only variety being a Dudley (my favorite character) and a damn good Alex. I know those 3 characters are top tier and all, but damn.

rumble fish sounds promising... seems to use more of a vector graphics based engine rather than bitmaps like all the other fighters out so far. the nice thing about vectors over bitmaps is the fact that no matter how odd the animation is, it will always run smooth and look clean/crisp. THink of the way they animate 3D games where you take a skeleton of the character and move the joints to move the body, but hten apply it to 2D art... it's pretty damn cool.

With Rumble fish, didn't they animate each character's body parts indivudually and the place them all together in the end? It looked like this was the case when I first saw the game in action a few months ago at an anime con. The animation looked great, but I noticed the characters movements were a little herky-jerky.

[quote name='MarkMan']Also if you're a fighting game fan, you HAVE TO check out EVOLUTION 2005. It's in 2 weeks! In Las Vegas, NV. The best players in the world will be attending for a multitude of fighting game titles... don't miss it![/QUOTE]

Really? Where does it say I have to?

I'd go there and use a controller and beat all them dudes. They don't want to fuck around with me.

[quote name='Purple Flames']With Rumble fish, didn't they animate each character's body parts indivudually and the place them all together in the end? It looked like this was the case when I first saw the game in action a few months ago at an anime con. The animation looked great, but I noticed the characters movements were a little herky-jerky.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the parts are animated indivudially. I remember fighting a female character and her top was slowly peeling off.

I'd love to go to more tournaments (I did alot in my collage days, going to Orlando for the Tekken Tag Tournament was fun.) But I don't know of any good arcades that are still into the fighting sceene near South Florida. Any places you know of Rolento?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back