Toys R Us would not honor their buy 1 get 1 free sale on PS2 games.

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I went to Toys R Us today to check out the buy 1 get 1 free sale on value rack PS2 games. I didn't see anything interesting except Driven with the DVD movie for $14.98 and Frequency for $14.98. I took both games to the register and the cashier said the total was $31.76.

I told her they were buy 1 get 1 free and I ended up having to show another worker the value rack where there were signs all over the rack about the sale. First she says that because it says "Playstation 2 Software", only "Software" meaning PC games are included only. I told her the sign says Playstation 2 and that's what I bought.

The value rack has 4 sides. 3 of the sides are full of PS2 and PS1 games all with the value stickers on them.

The 4th side of the rack has a mixture of PS2, Xbox and GCN games and this is the side that the 2 games I got were on. It was still on the value rack though.

When she saw where I got the games, the worker said those PS2 games were not valid because it's part of a different promotion. I then said that those games were still on the value rack and they were Playstation 2 games and nowhere on the sign did it say it only applied to the PS2 games with stickers on them. They still wouldn't honor the deal. I didn't feel like arguing any more with them so I left.

Were they right to exclude those few games or do I have a valid complaint?

I think I made out well on this deal, as I picked up devil may cry and baldur's gate dark alliance for $20 total, but I do think you have a valid complaint.

So they had non-value games on the value rack?
If they put them there [and not just another lazy customer], and if the promotion didn't specify 'value' sticker [that is, it implied value rack], I'd say you have an argument. Not a 100% one, but enough of one to cause a fuss if it were worth it.
That said, it does come down to
"Their promotion, their rules"
and of course those magic words
'We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.'
So they could say, Yep, you're right, now get your cheap ass out of our store.

I'm sure the store put them there because the games were in cases and out of the R-Zone video game area. They had at least 5 or 6 different PS2 games on that side of the rack so I don't think a customer put all of those games there (and multiple copies of the same game).

I probably could have tried to argue more about it but I don't like arguing at all in stores with employees and I knew it would just get me more annoyed if they still refused so instead I left.

I've seen those 2 games on the 4 sided Value rack as well. However, since they didn't have the Value sticker on the front and the UPC sticker on the back, I didn't bother with them.

I think the UPC sticker on the back is more important than the one on front. I was able to convince them about a game that I found with the UPC sticker, but no value sticker.

I could try to get them for you tomorrow if you want, since tomorrow is the last day for the deal. :eek:

Thanks for the offer sm04as but the games weren't that important to me that I needed to get them even at $7.50 each (didn't really want Driver anyway and I'm sure I can find Frequency really cheap at another store)

Ok...saves me a trip :wink:

It really is YMMV. Last time they had this deal, they would not honor GH games even if they had the UPC sticker. This time they did. Same store, same manager, this time without a second thought. Some of the games were ringing a couple of dollars higher, but were manually changed. But all the TRU that I've been to this week had the deal going.

If it was placed on the rack by the store and they don't value the buy 1 get 1 free offer with it, you've got a case of FALSE ADVERTISING. The store can get in trouble for that if they did place the games in that area and don't honor it.

I got my local Sears in trouble about 6 years ago for not honoring a price they had in their ad. The game was Final Fantasy VII, it was not a greatest hit so it was still $50, they had it advertised for $19.99 in their ad. I went up there and grabbed and it rang up for $50. I argued with the employee and mentioned the ad and he still refused to sell it for that price. So I reported it to the better business bureau, I know the exact amount, but they got fined for that incident due to other customers complaining about it too.

Yeah I've had similar problems with toys r us in the past. I went for the Splinter Cell/PoP deal earlier this year. So I go and ask some arab dude if they have PoP of gamecube and he says they sold out(he was insulted too that the name of the game was PoP). Anyway I'm walking out and I see they have it for Xbox so I decide to look for it myself behind the glass case. So I see that they actually have it. So I wait on line and then its my turn, and the lady takes Pop and after 20 minutes of her trying to find SC(even though I kept telling her it was right next to PoP) she found it. I tell her about the promo and just as she was about to ring it up the jerkoff from before comes and says,"its sold out." Now I begin to laugh my cheapass off because she is holding both games. Then I tell her to ring it up and give me SC free then the arab dude says "its only for PS2". So I say its not how its for all systems blah, blah, blah anf then again he says "only for PS2". I naturally then ask "why?" then the stupid clerk says "it must be because sony is giving money to the companies." I again laugh my ass off and ask her if she could just ring it up. The arab jerkoff then calls in his manager and she watches me and him get into a fight and he says,"it won't work. I'm telling you. Now please leave." Well the clerk rings it up and it works. I got my free SC and the clerk and the manager apologiezed to me and as I was walking out the manager asks the jerk to "step into her office." and I haven't seen him since.

Summary: Jerkoff tried to keep me from geeting my free game but I got that and I got him fired. Victory is mine!

not even close to being a valid complaint. ive seen 50 dollar games on that rack before. does that mean i get em buy one get one? no of course not. the deal is for value games. the value games have value stickers.

Anyone can just walk up and put whatever game they want there so just cause it's there doesn't mean that it is part of the deal.

Same thing almost happened to me the last time, but in my case I did have the right games, and I went as soon as it opened so no one messed with the rack.

I think the major PROBLEM with this deal is that all TRU's are different. Some are offering games as value games and others are not. I also noticed changes in the r zone stickered games from the last sale to this sale.

[quote name='Jrunt20x']Yeah I've had similar problems with toys r us in the past. I went for the Splinter Cell/PoP deal earlier this year. So I go and ask some arab dude if they have PoP of gamecube and he says they sold out(he was insulted too that the name of the game was PoP). Anyway I'm walking out and I see they have it for Xbox so I decide to look for it myself behind the glass case. So I see that they actually have it. So I wait on line and then its my turn, and the lady takes Pop and after 20 minutes of her trying to find SC(even though I kept telling her it was right next to PoP) she found it. I tell her about the promo and just as she was about to ring it up the jerkoff from before comes and says,"its sold out." Now I begin to laugh my cheapass off because she is holding both games. Then I tell her to ring it up and give me SC free then the arab dude says "its only for PS2". So I say its not how its for all systems blah, blah, blah anf then again he says "only for PS2". I naturally then ask "why?" then the stupid clerk says "it must be because sony is giving money to the companies." I again laugh my ass off and ask her if she could just ring it up. The arab jerkoff then calls in his manager and she watches me and him get into a fight and he says,"it won't work. I'm telling you. Now please leave." Well the clerk rings it up and it works. I got my free SC and the clerk and the manager apologiezed to me and as I was walking out the manager asks the jerk to "step into her office." and I haven't seen him since.

Summary: Jerkoff tried to keep me from geeting my free game but I got that and I got him fired. Victory is mine![/quote]

aha, that made my night,
best [victorious]. story. evar. :lol:

I remember quite a long time ago I was at my everyday local CompUSA. Anyways, they had official N64 Rumble Packs for $9.99 printed on some labels. One of them displayed $4.99. Being 10 at the time with my mom, I brought it to the counter, along with SF Rush, and some South Park game title I can't remember at the moment. Well anyway, I complained that the rumble pak was $4.99. The cashier told a store assistance to check, and indeed they did find one $4.99 label along with some other $9.99 labels. So at the end, after some talking of ignorance stating over and over the price was labeled $4.99, I was "honored" the deal. As for doing these kinds of things, I never like to argue with them anymore, knowing I'm not that cheap hearted. Now I'm 16. 8)

Just an update, I went back to Toys R Us today and since they are now having that Buy 1 Get 1 Free Sale on old games, I got both games for $14.98. :)

bread's done
Back