Is FFVII coming to PS3?

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I finally saw the PS3 tech demo last night on cinematech and it looks really amazing. Any chance Square would throw us a bone?

They've gone on record saying that the tech demo was not intended to indicate any possibility of a PS3 remake of FF7.

It is possible, of course, but I sure hope that they don't do it.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It is possible, of course, but I sure hope they don't. How pointless would that be?[/QUOTE]

I am 100% in favor of updating the classics using the current technology if the gameplay goes unchanged. I mean, if you had the choice to play the same game with PSX graphics or PS3 graphics which one would you pick assuming the gameplay, story and all scenes were identical? Resident Evil for Gamecube (although not entirely identical) is a great example - I will never play the original again...

[quote name='javeryh']I am 100% in favor of updating the classics using the current technology if the gameplay goes unchanged. I mean, if you had the choice to play the same game with PSX graphics or PS3 graphics which one would you pick assuming the gameplay, story and all scenes were identical? Resident Evil for Gamecube (although not entirely identical) is a great example - I will never play the original again...[/QUOTE]

You would pay a company to sell you the exact same game twice? Oh, you silly consumer you, they tricked you good.

I would be all for an update... but knowing Square-Enix, they'd do something stpuid to ruin the story and make Cloud a total fairy.

"Oh.. my.. gosh! You, like, totally killed Aeris! You silly man, you! I'm gonna give you a spankin!"

Ugh...

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']You would pay a company to sell you the exact same game twice? Oh, you silly consumer you, they tricked you good.[/QUOTE]

No one is tricking anyone. I find value in an updated version of a game I love. I guess you would also never buy the same game for a PSP and PS2 because you don't want to pay for it twice. I find value in the portability so I have no problem with that either...

Bad if the number 1 title for PS3 is a remake of a game from years ago. Since not everyone like FFVII it is better to make a new game.
Now a port on PSP wont be a bad idea.

They're already making a new final fantasy action-rpg for psp... Final Fantasy VII- Crisis Core, however, I expect it to be much more along the lines of Kindom Hearts style gameplay, or in otherwords a watered down version of Dirge of Cerberus {Also Not Yet Released}

ffvii_screen001.jpg

In the latest EGM the Rumor Control reported that an FF7 remake for the PS3 was, at the least, very likely to happen. Not sure of the credibility of it all, but they've been right before.

S-E initially said it was strictly a tech demo, but based on the overwhelmingly positive response, they would rule not it out. They said nothing is in development at this time though.

[quote name='javeryh']No one is tricking anyone. I find value in an updated version of a game I love. I guess you would also never buy the same game for a PSP and PS2 because you don't want to pay for it twice. I find value in the portability so I have no problem with that either...[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but for that comment you need to bitchslapped. It's because of people like you Sony is doing all these NONSENSE PS ports. Now with GBA it can at least be justified because those games got a low print run here and people are nostalgic enough to replay them on their portables. In other words those games are OLD enough and halfway RARE! X-(
If Atlus released Persona and the full Persona 2 I'd be all for it. Heck Sony is releasing Popolocrois over here which was NEVER brought to our shores. Hopefully it ends up doing well and they release Popolocrois 2 for the PSP as well then we FINALLY get Popolocrois 3 and 4 for the PS2 hopefully.

[quote name='Sarang01']I'm sorry but for that comment you need to bitchslapped. It's because of people like you Sony is doing all these NONSENSE PS ports. Now with GBA it can at least be justified because those games got a low print run here and people are nostalgic enough to replay them on their portables. In other words those games are OLD enough and halfway RARE! X-(
If Atlus released Persona and the full Persona 2 I'd be all for it. Heck Sony is releasing Popolocrois over here which was NEVER brought to our shores. Hopefully it ends up doing well and they release Popolocrois 2 for the PSP as well then we FINALLY get Popolocrois 3 and 4 for the PS2 hopefully.[/QUOTE]

Wow, is their a magic list of games that I don't know of, because I could swear that every SNES port on the GBA that was worth buying HAD AN EXTREMELY HIGH PRINT RUN, MAKING IT fuckING COMMON AS HELL. Donkey Kong Country sold nearly 7 million copies in America alone, Mario 3 sold nearly 18 million copies in America alone, so stop being such an idiot. FFVII on the PS3 is much more likely than the PS2 remake, and if you can't see why (the glorified tech demo, and umm, maybe 5 more years of age...), I can't justify your opinion.

[quote name='Lord Draconus777']Wow, is their a magic list of games that I don't know of, because I could swear that every SNES port on the GBA that was worth buying HAD AN EXTREMELY HIGH PRINT RUN, MAKING IT fuckING COMMON AS HELL. Donkey Kong Country sold nearly 7 million copies in America alone, Mario 3 sold nearly 18 million copies in America alone, so stop being such an idiot. FFVII on the PS3 is much more likely than the PS2 remake, and if you can't see why (the glorified tech demo, and umm, maybe 5 more years of age...), I can't justify your opinion.[/QUOTE]

They may have had high print runs, but how many kids (not adults) own SNES or NES systems? You CAN NOT just go out to Best Buy and Wal-Mart and pick up a new copy of Donkey Kong Country for the SNES or Super Mario 3 for the NES. Final Fantasy 7 on the other hand I can go down and still buy, Plus I can play it on my PS2. I can't play thou games on my GameCube. Nintendo re-releasing games works because you CAN'T BUY THEM for the curent systems out there.

Most games that I have played I would not buy again when I still own the original, but if they made an upgraded Final Fantasy VII I would probably buy it right away. I would love to play through again, and this would give me a reason to. Then again, they might ruin the experience with the remake if they change too much. I really wouldn't want the graphics to look like the movie they have coming out or anything like that. The sound effects could use some major updating, but if they did that it could ruin the feel of the game too.

why remake a classic?
Would you remake 'The Godfather' or 'Casablanca'?
Leave 'Final Fantasy VII' alone.
I rather have Square work on a New game then risk them ruining a classic.
Just look what happen to 'Psycho'. *shakes head*

[quote name='lionheart4life']Most games that I have played I would not buy again when I still own the original, but if they made an upgraded Final Fantasy VII I would probably buy it right away. I would love to play through again, and this would give me a reason to. Then again, they might ruin the experience with the remake if they change too much. I really wouldn't want the graphics to look like the movie they have coming out or anything like that. The sound effects could use some major updating, but if they did that it could ruin the feel of the game too.[/QUOTE]

If you, or anyone, wanted to play through it again so badly, just pop the disc in your PSX or PS2 and start playing. You don't need to shell out $50 (or maybe $60) for the same experience. It's not as if the play mechanics would be any different, and if they were, people would bitch.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']If you, or anyone, wanted to play through it again so badly, just pop the disc in your PSX or PS2 and start playing. You don't need to shell out $50 (or maybe $60) for the same experience. It's not as if the play mechanics would be any different, and if they were, people would bitch.[/QUOTE]

Nobody doubts that the core mechanics would remain the same, but just think of how much ass FREAKIN 1080p IFRIT could kick :cool:

[quote name='MadEdSkillz']Nobody doubts that the core mechanics would remain the same, but just think of how much ass FREAKIN 1080p IFRIT could kick :cool:[/QUOTE]

Yes, I guess I can understand someone having a fascination with pretty shiny things, cavemen had this curiosity as well. I don't see how people, especially cheap ass gamers can pitch a tent over being sold the same product twice in a relatively short period of time. It would be similar to James Cameron re-making Titanic this year and people being excited about it.

[quote name='MeGaWC27']well... they are remaking King Kong which was a classic =P[/QUOTE]

First the orignal wasn't that good, second we haven't even seen it. And it might not even be a remake but more of a retelling, Peter Jackson's vison of King Kong.

I used 'Psycho' as an example because the newest version was a remake of the orignal and it really sucked. It wasn't a 'lets take the idea and see if we can make our own version of it and make it better' no it was a frame by frame remake. which is what a remake of FFVII would be.

I'm not saying the frame by frame remake wouldn't work, But it might not. Do we want to risk ruining FFVII?

I say if Square wants to do a updated version of FFVII, make another movie that tells the story of the game. Don't risk ruining the game.

Does it really matter if somebody else wants a remake of a game they enjoyed? If you don't like it, don't play it. Now everybody just shut the fuck up, respect each other, and stop bickering like little children. Jesus fucking christ, people...

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Does it really matter if somebody else wants a remake of a game they enjoyed? If you don't like it, don't play it. Now everybody just shut the fuck up, respect each other, and stop bickering like little children. Jesus fucking christ, people...[/QUOTE]

Does it really matter if annonymous people on the internet want to bicker about video games on a video game forum? If you don't like it, don't post here. Jesus fucking christ Kirin Lemon...

[quote name='CapAmerica']why remake a classic? Would you remake 'The Godfather' or 'Casablanca'?[/QUOTE]

Video games are way different than movies - there are plenty of reasons to remake a classic game but the two most prominent are probably that the technology allows for better presentation (and thus more enjoyment for the player) and it's an easy way for the company to make money.

... and to answer your other question: Casablanca sucks so why remake a heaping pile of shit? The Godfather, on the other hand, definitely needs to be remade because there aren't enough special effects in the old versions.

[quote name='javeryh']Video games are way different than movies - there are plenty of reasons to remake a classic game but the two most prominent are probably that the technology allows for better presentation (and thus more enjoyment for the player) and it's an easy way for the company to make money.

... and to answer your other question: Casablanca sucks so why remake a heaping pile of shit? The Godfather, on the other hand, definitely needs to be remade because there aren't enough special effects in the old versions.[/QUOTE]

Please say you are kidding about the Godfather.

Here's another way to look at it. Look at FFXII. They're almost completely throwing away the FF system. Sure, everyone likes a change of pace once in a while, but impressions have been lackluster at best. It would be nice to have them do another game with a more classic system, and FFVII was pretty close to the basic original style. Maybe it will lead the series back to what it used to be. And I don't really think it would ruin the game to have it remade. I mean, just look at FFX. The voice acting was pretty bad at times ("Ihateyou!" Jesus, did they have any voice direction?) but yet the game was still pretty playable, despite the horribly easy and repetitive battle system. If the voice acting couldn't ruin FFX, then it probably won't ruin FFVII, considering it should have progressed and all. Plus, we really, really need the return of the overworld.

But then again, I would still play the original, too. I still enjoy the old RE along with the GC remake. "Here's a lockpick. It might be useful if you, the master of unlocking, take it with you."

[quote name='Vinny']I would be all for an update... but knowing Square-Enix, they'd do something stpuid to ruin the story and make Cloud a total fairy.
[/QUOTE]

Uh, Cloud already was a total fairy.

[quote name='DaemonSaber']Here's another way to look at it. Look at FFXII. They're almost completely throwing away the FF system. Sure, everyone likes a change of pace once in a while, but impressions have been lackluster at best. It would be nice to have them do another game with a more classic system, and FFVII was pretty close to the basic original style. Maybe it will lead the series back to what it used to be. And I don't really think it would ruin the game to have it remade. I mean, just look at FFX. The voice acting was pretty bad at times ("Ihateyou!" Jesus, did they have any voice direction?) but yet the game was still pretty playable, despite the horribly easy and repetitive battle system. If the voice acting couldn't ruin FFX, then it probably won't ruin FFVII, considering it should have progressed and all. Plus, we really, really need the return of the overworld.

But then again, I would still play the original, too. I still enjoy the old RE along with the GC remake. "Here's a lockpick. It might be useful if you, the master of unlocking, take it with you."[/QUOTE]

Instead of re-making a game to bring back the "classic conventions" of FF VII, why not just put their efforts into a NEW games that plays like FF VII. This way you can have a FF VII like game with a new story?

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Instead of re-making a game to bring back the "classic conventions" of FF VII, why not just put their efforts into a NEW games that plays like FF VII. This way you can have a FF VII like game with a new story?[/QUOTE]

Well, that's the end goal, and of course most of us want a new FF game with a better system (it doesn't have to be the classic system, just one that goes in a direction other than south), but that game has yet to be announced, or even hinted at. Only with a FFVII remake would that system be certain, and I feel it would probably greaten the odds of a new game with the classic system. It's the idea of leading the series back to classic system that appeals to me, not the FFVII.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Instead of re-making a game to bring back the "classic conventions" of FF VII, why not just put their efforts into a NEW games that plays like FF VII. This way you can have a FF VII like game with a new story?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, make it "gritty" - maybe add a GTA style mode where you can run over chokobos with your dune buggy. And add killer robots. And zombies.

I was just watching G4 between innings of the Astros game, and one of the talking heads said that a recent demonstration of the FF7 PS3 footage in Japan didn't come with the standard "this is just a tech demo" disclaimer. Do they think that everyone knows it is a tech demo by now, or is FF7 PS3 in the works?

[quote name='nwaugh']I was just watching G4 between innings of the Astros game, and one of the talking heads said that a recent demonstration of the FF7 PS3 footage in Japan didn't come with the standard "this is just a tech demo" disclaimer. Do they think that everyone knows it is a tech demo by now, or is FF7 PS3 in the works?[/QUOTE]

I have the clip on my computer, and at the title screen it says "Final Fantasy VII: Technical Demo for PS3".

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Yes, I guess I can understand someone having a fascination with pretty shiny things, cavemen had this curiosity as well. I don't see how people, especially cheap ass gamers can pitch a tent over being sold the same product twice in a relatively short period of time. It would be similar to James Cameron re-making Titanic this year and people being excited about it.[/QUOTE]

Except it wouldn't be like that because Titanic sucked and FFVII didn't.

[quote name='MeGaWC27']well... they are remaking King Kong which was a classic =P[/QUOTE]

yea, but Jack Black is in it so i am assuming its going to whoop ass.

I for one would love to see this remade. It was one of my favorite games, and you may call me a "caveman" but I would like to relive the game with updated music and graphics, perhaps a little work on the translation. Plus I wouldn't be suprised if they threw in a few extras here and there. To be honest I kind of wanted to play it again when the demo came out, but now I'll wait because there is a slight chance of the game being remade.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Yes, I guess I can understand someone having a fascination with pretty shiny things, cavemen had this curiosity as well. I don't see how people, especially cheap ass gamers can pitch a tent over being sold the same product twice in a relatively short period of time. It would be similar to James Cameron re-making Titanic this year and people being excited about it.[/QUOTE]

Mr Unoriginal, seems your pretty mad about people wanting a remake. I see nothing wrong with it, your comparing it to movies(in theater) but i dont see why.....

I see it like this. Lets say i have a movie on VHS, after having so much on DVD, would i not want to pick up that same favorite movie, remade for dvd? If i loved a certain CD, would i not be thrilled about picking it up digitally remastered?

I dont think anyone would complain if the Titanic was remade on like a DVD Superbit version. I sure as hell know i wouldnt buy it but i wouldnt hound the people who would.

Pardon me for not being hardcore and saying "VI" instead, but if any FF game deserves the full treatment of next gen graphics and updated gameplay, it's VII.

bread's done
Back