The Ign Review Of Madden 06 Is In... And It May Surprise!

I'll still get it, as it's been a tradition since I was like 14 to get it each year. Not sure how much I like the line of sight idea. Thanks for the heads-up on the review, OP!

[quote name='Josef']I'm not surprised.

no competition = don't do anything and watch the money flow in[/QUOTE]

I'm by no means a football or an NFL fan for that matter, but to say EA didn't do anything to change this year's game is a foolish statement.

In the minds of people who think anything that scores under a 9.0 is considered a flop, IGN still thinks "Madden is great"

I don't think there is much more they can do with Madden on the current consoles. I'm interested to see what Madden transforms into in the next generation.

[quote name='Parathod']I don't think there is much more they can do with Madden on the current consoles. I'm interested to see what Madden transforms into in the next generation.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because EA sure is known for innovation.

It's the same damn shit every time EA is brought up. Bashing EA is the new EB & Gamestop at this forum.

[quote name='Scahom1']It's the same damn shit every time EA is brought up. Bashing EA is the new EB & Gamestop at this forum.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and it's the same damn bitching about the bitching about EA from people no one listens to everytime.

[quote name='The Truth']I'll still get it, as it's been a tradition since I was like 14 to get it each year. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='JSK414']I can't wait. My Boy McNabb is the cover boy![/QUOTE]

EA thanks you guys ^^

[quote name='Tromack']Yeah, because EA sure is known for innovation.[/QUOTE]

It's EA's winning formula so you can't expect them to change it that much. It's the same thing with Konami's Winning Eleven line. EA is obviously the most greedy/cold video game company on Earth, but either way, fans of Madden will never want to see a dramatic change. And even if EA decided to change their ways and turn into "Innovation Central", what could they alter about the game to really make it innovative? It's a football game. In the game you play as football players who perform as accurately as the technology allows them to. Maybe on the PS3 they can have them play underwater instead. Hell, if they team up with Nintendo, they might even be able to get some of that sweet gyro technology and we can control our characters by twisting the controllers. Everytime we score a touchdown we'll get a bunch of fireworks followed by toad coming out and proclaiming "sorry, but the princess is in another castle" with Bowser laughing in the background and Wario jerking off.

Too bad McNabb is only good because of his awesome receivers and Westbrook. :D They seem to catch every sloppy pass he sends their way.

I'm not quite sure if I'll get this or not. I really liked the NFL 2K series that Sega had going but I guess I'll end up getting this preowned or something so I don't have to drop the $50.

Well you can look forward to McNabb having either a season-ending injury or a sub-par season. You must have forgotten "The Madden Curse"

[quote name='Scahom1']It's the same damn shit every time EA is brought up. Bashing EA is the new EB & Gamestop at this forum.[/QUOTE]
Thats because EA keeps doing the same shit. And yes, I can blame them for milking every last dime out of their cash cow, you know why? I don't care if EA makes an assload of money, I want a better product. Making money is not a rationalization for everything. I'm not happy with their product, so I'm not going to buy it. And due to EA paying an assload of money, I can't buy a competing product. So here I am, bitching about EA, because I want a better football game, and because of them, I won't get it. I'd sooner go without a football game than buy Madden 20XX, and I'm a big football fan.

If they really, really improve the game for next gen consoles, I'll consider buying it. If it looks like a PS2 game on 360, forget it.

In addition, just as in Madden's little brother NCAA Football 2006, the control schemes have been changed. Assuming you don't choose your receiver pre-snap, the button string needed to execute the precision passing/QB vision is sequenced something like this (let's use the PS2 controller layout for example purposes):

Step one: (X button) Hikes the ball.
Step two: Hold the R1 trigger and press corresponding receiver button to lock on QB Vision.
Step three: Direct the pass behind/above/ahead of receiver (precision passing) and press same button to throw the ball.

Calculate if you will, the time that takes, and how simple it is to complete while Ed Reed is flying toward you on a safety blitz. Not Easy. Play on All-Pro or All-Madden difficulty, and you'll only have time to make one or two reads before your QB is lying facedown in the dirt with six sweaty linemen on top of him

This guy seems like he sucks at this vision and precision thing, and he probably doesnt watch much football. In real life, QBs are expected to get the ball out in 3 seconds or so, and thats the point of a safety or a corner blitz, its usually left unblocked if the wrong blocking assignments are called, and you dont compensate for it before the play. Also, why cant he make a read first without the cone, then move the cone once he spots the open man, hes making it sound like you cant see anyone on the field except whats in the cone

[quote name='cyberlian']Well you can look forward to McNabb having either a season-ending injury or a sub-par season. You must have forgotten "The Madden Curse"[/QUOTE]

I think the curse is currently happening, look at the eagles, they have westbrook holding out and pinkston is out for the season!

[quote name='Murcielago77']This guy seems like he sucks at this vision and precision thing, and he probably doesnt watch much football. In real life, QBs are expected to get the ball out in 3 seconds or so, and thats the point of a safety or a corner blitz, its usually left unblocked if the wrong blocking assignments are called, and you dont compensate for it before the play. Also, why cant he make a read first without the cone, then move the cone once he spots the open man, hes making it sound like you cant see anyone on the field except whats in the cone[/QUOTE]

Murc,
Shouldnt we get the game in hand first before we go arguing that the player sucks, not the system? Im not saying you cant be 100% right, but you lose a lot of creditibilty since we all assume youve not played it yet since its not out. Once we have game in hand and can see how fast the blitz comes and how well its picked up, then we'll know whats what.

Also, not a good idea to try to guess someones football knowledge when theres no way you can substatiate your claims. I mean, I could say your football accumen sucks but really, how on earth would I know? (or would you know his, or he yours, etc)

Since I bought ESPN 2k5 last year, I was able to satiated my desire for a new football game by buying LAST YEAR'S Madden for $11 off the clearance rack at Wal Mart. Since I haven't seriously played a Madden game in a while it'll feel fresh and exciting while at the same time costing me a fraction of what people will spend on THIS YEAR'S version.

This year I'm boycotting the whole EA sports lineup. It is one thing to acquire licenses to do great things and make a franchise more innovative, but just to do so to get back at your competition is childish. If they found Sega to be a threat maybe they should make a better product. Reguardless of the praise from all the madden fanboys, they're only playing Madden 2001 version 5.0; every year it is pretty much the same game. Granted the graphics are smoother showing more detail, but that comes without saying in the evolution of games.

Also every year EA slips in a new hypnotic feature that sucks you zombie fanboys in; one year they add a mini-camp, the next they add the "Hit Stick" and now beautiful "QB Vision a.k.a. "Cones". The Madden production wil never be truly innovative because they cannot throw all there eggs in one basket. They string you along by adding a single feature each year and this makes it the "New" madden. They probably were set for 10+ years after the production meeting for Madden 2001; all the features that have evolved since Madden 2001 probably have just been filed away until a new year.

Maybe if EA really wanted to compete with SEGA/2k Games they would of took a page from the "Helmet Cam". Now this isn't the best innovation, but it added a new aspect to an already good game. EA could have expanded on this and allowed you to choose your offensive position; QB, RB, TE, o r WR from the Madden viewpoint and not the "Helmet Cam".

Just as I stated though EA probably already has this feature on the back burner and will throw it in when they need that "New" feature to suck players in. Though I'm voicing this new animosity towards EA doesn't mean I don't enjoy the games or have a small appreciation for the Madden franchise. My first launch title for the PS2 was Madden 2001 and I was ecstatic about the next gen football game. EA has a decent product out there, but they took the wrong direction with the licensing; you take on the pressure of putting out the best NFL game and you have to be very innovatie, EA has lacked in both areas the past few years. Remember fanboys a pretty game doesn't make a great game.

[quote name='alfonsosoriano']It's definitely going to be improved. How could it not. I bet they have some stupid gripe with the new passing thing.[/QUOTE]

Its always improved. Only the diehardest of the fanboys or anti-EAers will say its not. The questions are

How much?
Could it have been even more if there was competition?

ESPN being no more has a lot of people nervous as to the future of videogame football. Madden is still good (so say the reviews, Ill find out myself) but will it stay so? Many will argue yes but you must admit there is little reason for EA to give their all when theres nobody else to compete with.

I am very much a casual sports gamer. I loved Sega's ESPN series price point, as I can't justify $50 for a game I'll play only a few times. That they were also great games was bonus. But I find the games are getting too damn complicated. I am not a coach or manager, I would love a "dumbed down" control scheme and playbook. I also don't give a crap about setting the price of hot dogs in my home stadium. And how about an option to play a position other than QB? If the AI can handle all the other players, why not let me run passing routes and catch a ball thrown by the CPU? That would be innovative.

I will not bash EA for purchasing the NFL exclusivity. It was offered for sale by the NFL and any company had the option to buy it.

The hastings in my area is having a midnight sale on madden. When the hell did madden become such a big deal that hastings has a midnight sale?

[quote name='adamsappel']I am very much a casual sports gamer. I loved Sega's ESPN series price point, as I can't justify $50 for a game I'll play only a few times. That they were also great games was bonus. But I find the games are getting too damn complicated. I am not a coach or manager, I would love a "dumbed down" control scheme and playbook. I also don't give a crap about setting the price of hot dogs in my home stadium. And how about an option to play a position other than QB? If the AI can handle all the other players, why not let me run passing routes and catch a ball thrown by the CPU? That would be innovative.

I will not bash EA for purchasing the NFL exclusivity. It was offered for sale by the NFL and any company had the option to buy it.[/QUOTE]

You might want to try Tecmo Superbowl or the Blitz series. Does the NFL contract allow for first parties to still use it's license or was that for baseball?

Anybody care to explain why this new superstar mode isn't innovative? That's the only reason I'm buying it this year. That and I accidently deleted my 11 year franchise on 2K5.

And wasn't Sony going to do an unlicensed football game where you took over your father's team but he had a debt, so you enlist a few players in some sort of underground fighting league? And how well you did in the fight determined fatigue/stats for the next game.

[quote name='irrossistable']Anybody care to explain why this new superstar mode isn't innovative? That's the only reason I'm buying it this year. That and I accidently deleted my 11 year franchise on 2K5.

And wasn't Sony going to do an unlicensed football game where you took over your father's team but he had a debt, so you enlist a few players in some sort of underground fighting league? And how well you did in the fight determined fatigue/stats for the next game.[/QUOTE]

I think you are talking about Road to Sunday. Sadly, that got cancelled.

I don't play Madden or ESPN (I'm a fan of Mario sports games), so I wouldn't say anything about those games.

[quote name='Parathod']It's EA's winning formula so you can't expect them to change it that much. It's the same thing with Konami's Winning Eleven line.[/QUOTE]

WE7 to WE8 was not as huge a leap forward as WE6 to WE7 was, but Konami adds way more than one gameplay feature per WE (not counting the different versions of the same WE that gets released in Japan, in which case they are as bad if not worse than EA). I don't play Madden, so I can't compare the two, but I know that since WE6 (1st WE to be released in the US), there has been huge additions not only to "rosters" (from fake to semi-licensed), but to gameplay (physics of players controlling ball, new moves of course) and the season mode.

But in general, it's the same with all sport games I guess, cause there is only so much you can do in one year's time. Since Konami didn't have real licenses for a while, they just focused on how the game played, not so much the interface/presentation/soundtrack and all the "fluff".

[quote name='whiteboy']They added cones.[/QUOTE]

I'm definitely buying it now.

Everyone's bitching about EA and Madden Rehash. Just wait till it comes out, wait like a week and buy it for $20 bucks. Then decide if it sucks or not. Or wait longer till you can get it for free from a friend who can't even sell it back to any game store and recieve anything mroe than a buck for it.

bread's done
Back