Out of Web sites with reviews...

nneace

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
Who seems to have the most accurate reviews? In other words, which Web site's (whether it is Ign.com, Gamespot, etc.) reviews generally seem to be the most accurate? Any help would be appreciated. I do subscribe to a few magazines, but it is easier to access up to date reviews. Thanks.

It's all BS man... there are some sites which are more reliable than others at times but normally, I find 95% of reviews to be crap. This is especially true for IGN's PS2/Xbox channel and EGM, which had inflated scores for games recently. Gamespot is pretty good and so is GamesAreFun.com.

I suggest visiting www.gamerankings.com which compiles scores from the most popular magazines and sites and gives you a overall score. I've been visiting for the past ~2 years (actually heard about CAG from a member there) and the site's overall score is usually the close to what I would give a game.

[quote name='Vinny']It's all BS man... there are some sites which are more reliable than others at times but normally, I find 95% of reviews to be crap. This is especially true for IGN's PS2/Xbox channel and EGM, which had inflated scores for games recently. Gamespot is pretty good and so is GamesAreFun.com.

I suggest visiting www.gamerankings.com which compiles scores from the most popular magazines and sites and gives you a overall score. I've been visiting for the past ~2 years (actually heard about CAG from a member there) and the site's overall score is usually the close to what I would give a game.[/QUOTE]

I second this, most of the sites simply won't give a bad review to an overhyped game for fear of alienating their readers. Gamerankings will still have inflated scores but if you look through the scores from each site normally you can find one that seems to be more based on the game itself and not the hype.

How does one define accuracy when it comes to a review? Isnt a review an opinion by its nature?

The best way I have found is to simply get a rough average of all the sources out there then read the reviews to see what things were mentioned or appeared often. Decide if those issues are big to you or not, and rent/buy accordingly.

[quote name='supadupacheap']How does one define accuracy when it comes to a review? Isnt a review an opinion by its nature?

The best way I have found is to simply get a rough average of all the sources out there then read the reviews to see what things were mentioned or appeared often. Decide if those issues are big to you or not, and rent/buy accordingly.[/QUOTE]

And GameRankings will help you do that, it'll have an average score and direct links to the reviews.

Cool, I wanted to know game ratings to add to my Video game database that I bought from collectorz.com . Thanks guys!

I kinda hate reviews too, even though I write them, but I find that if you look at reviews from all kinds of places-- ign, gamespot and any number of fan sites-- you'll get a good idea. or you just get to know developers, companies, genres, and all that and you'll get a nice sense of what will suck and what won't.

[quote name='Apossum']I kinda hate reviews too, even though I write them, but I find that if you look at reviews from all kinds of places-- ign, gamespot and any number of fan sites-- you'll get a good idea. or you just get to know developers, companies, genres, and all that and you'll get a nice sense of what will suck and what won't.[/QUOTE]

Your site is pretty good, a lot of games on there. Thanks for the advice.

gamespot is the most reliable to me...IGN is usually either too high (more often) or too low (less often)...gamespy is good as well, but not as good as gamespot

[quote name='swetooth9']gamespot is the most reliable to me...IGN is usually either too high (more often) or too low (less often)...gamespy is good as well, but not as good as gamespot[/QUOTE]

Yeah I understand that IGN is always over rated, and Gamespot happens to be the most consistent.

[quote name='nneace']Your site is pretty good, a lot of games on there. Thanks for the advice.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! was that honestgamers.com? I just changed it to the site I'm semi-officially writing for...so come visit there....once I get some reviews up that haven't been in the review forum. :D They don't have a ton of new game reviews-- but they have a great archive of older reviews.

bread's done
Back