Rape in GTA? What do you think?

Scrubking

CAGiversary!
http://www.avault.com/articles/getarticle.asp?name=durocher1

The above article was written by a staff member of Avault, and although I respect the site's intelligence this article is wack.

The author is also getting dominated on the forums as he tries to defend his position which includes there being actual rape in the gta games. Here is his quote:

Scenario:
Thug runs up to vehicle, pulls out the driver of vehicle, gets in and goes for a joyride, running over pedestrians quite casually. Upon seeing a prostitute, he then picks her up, and takes her into a back alley. Car is shown rocking rythmically, it doesn't exactly take a genius to figure out what the implications are. Prostitute takes money and leaves vehicle. Thug gets out, beats the prostitute to death and steals back the money, then drives off after some more pedestrians.

Oh I'm sorry, I guess because the brutally violent homicide takes place -after- the sex, it's ok. Pardon me for presuming to pass judgement on what is, to me, an obvious act of rape. That the violence and the sex only take place a matter of seconds apart means nothing. the fact is, my 9 year old nephew can, as part of the game, for no good reason, murder a woman after having slept with her. Hey, all in the name of entertainment, right?

Frankly I think the guy has lost his mind. He also goes on to bash the developers because his sister lets her 9yo son play gta - 9yo!

Anyway, you can catch the pwnage at the avault forums

The strategy described in the article is not required to play the game. The beauty of GTA is you can play the entire game and just kill villains if you so choose. Or you can injure innocent people, although there are consequences for running over people which makes the game more difficult and thus acts to discourage such mayhem.

Also the game has a MA rating and if your 9 year old nephew is playing an MA game you have more problems than a silly computer game.

I don't want all our games dumbed down for 9 year olds.

The beauty of GTA is it lets us do things we'd never be able to do in real life, but things that we sometimes think we'd love to do.

How many people out there drive a car, and when a pedestrian walks by asks the passengers how many points they are worth? I know I've done it a few times.

Or how many people have thought about robbing a bank? No, not seriously thought about it, but have just thought about how cool it would be to get all that money to spend on whatever you want.

Just because the game lets you do these things, it doesn't necessarily make you do them. People complain about all the terrible things in the game, but the users are generally the ones creating all the mayhem.

And I don't know what the hell the dude is talking about in that quote. Killing a woman after you had sex with her is not rape, it's murder. It was consensual sex.

Yeah I pour my daughter 8 year old shots of tequila every night, but I blame cuervo tequilla for her drinking it. I hate poeple like this, take responsibility for your kids........sorry I had to vent. :)

Yeah the ratings are there for a reason and should be used.

I only read what you quoted, but does this guy have a problem with all of the other violent behavior you can do in the game?

Having said that though, it would be interesting if you couldn't kill the prostitute afterwards - sort of a professional courtesy. Or at least not get your money back when you did.

Wow, just when I thought people couldn't get any stupider, he comes along and blames his personal actions on a game. Bravo to him.

I'm 16, and I've been playing M-Rated games my whole life. But you know what the difference is? My parents knew I was, knew what was in the games, and allowed me to get them. And I turned out just fine.

What a flaming fucktard.

His plea to developers makes sense, of course. The only problem is that those morals and ethics already exist in most games, including GTA. We all know that Tommy Vercetti is drug dealing, criminal scum. We all know that the nameless dude in GTA3 is pretty much the same. You're playing as a criminal. The fucking cops are chasing you. You've got to be pretty thick if you can't put two and two together. I mean, if a cop is trying to lock you up, or a SWAT team is trying to take you out, usually that mean's you've broken the law somehow.

That guy is just a douche, a flaming, fucktard douche-master.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Wow, just when I thought people couldn't get any stupider[/quote]

redgopher casts Grammerga.
redgopher: stupider = more stupid.
SneakyPenguin takes 9999 damage.
SneakyPenguin has been defeated by redgopher.
redgopher obtains a Slice of Penguin Meat.
redgopher obtains 13 gil.
redgopher: woo!
redgopher gives a triumphant cry!

[quote name='redgopher'][quote name='SneakyPenguin']Wow, just when I thought people couldn't get any stupider[/quote]

redgopher gives a triumphant cry![/quote]

StinkyGazelle casts FullLife on SneakyPenguin.
SneakyPenguin returns from dead.
SneakyPenguin summons Grammar Gestapo.
Grammar Gestapo goes to town on redgopher's ass.
SneakyPenguin goes to hospital to re-attach slice of meat.

As a 38 year old gamer, I have big issues with j@ck@sses who allow minors to play M Rated games.

It is idiots like that who are creating the ratings controversary we get to suffer thru at least once a year, more during an election year.

Until these idiots learn to parent (like that will happen), we will always have to listen to crap like this.

And dare I go this far... these parents are the spoiled children of the spoiled baby boomers... must.. stop... rant...

Here's a question I mailed him:

Why does your sibling allow their 9-year-old to play M rated games?

Do his parents let him watch R rated movies too?

[quote name='redgopher'][quote name='SneakyPenguin']Wow, just when I thought people couldn't get any stupider[/quote]

redgopher gives a triumphant cry![/quote]

Dear Schoolmarm: http://experts.about.com/q/680/3544555.htm

[quote name='eldad9']Here's a question I mailed him:

Why does your sibling allow their 9-year-old to play M rated games?

Do his parents let him watch R rated movies too?[/quote]

Because video games are a comparatively young entertainment medium. The people raising kids now might be the ones raised on the Atari and Nintendo, where games weren't necessarily less violent, but were certainly less realistically rendered. They can't get it out of their heads that games aren't just for kids, yet, so they just figure anything they pop in the PS2 will be appropriate for their chilluns. It will only be a problem of this particular generation. Kids raised on Mortal Kombat/Doom will have a better understanding of what's appropriate for their kids and what isn't, I think.

my 6 yo nephew plays almost any game he wants, though i wont let him play manhunt

he understands right and wrong and real and fake

hes as normal as they come

and has the brain of a 12 yr old

[quote name='trustcompany1013']my 6 yo nephew plays almost any game he wants, though i wont let him play manhunt

he understands right and wrong and real and fake

hes as normal as they come

and has the brain of a 12 yr old[/quote]

Most kids are not like this. Most kids parents to care. Parents are the problem, not the games. My parents would not let me play games like this when I was a kid. I couldnt even buy a cd with parental advisory onit. Thank god for college.

You know the one violent thing GTA DOESNT allow you to do is rape, I mean with all the things that go on in the game it seems to be the only thing they thought would have been too much... well that and the fact that there are no children in any GTA game.

I remember once in VC I carjacked a guy and some how his girl friend was still in it I took of down the streets driving insanely and I could hear her screaming for her life!

I'd actually kidnapped someone!

I stopped the car to see if she'd get out and run like she hadnt gotten a chance to run for some reason but she never did... in a way i almost expected the rocking car animation but she wasnt a hooker so it never happened (otherwise he'd be raping her) Eventually I got out of the car and stole another because it was just such a weird expierence.

That's so terrible!!! A 9-y/r can't even kill pedestrians, cops, or pick up a prostitute for some good fun without witnessing "rape". What is this world coming to.....

I don't understand complaining about a game's content. If you don't want to play/look at it don't buy it. I have a 12 year old son and I would never let him play anything like Manhunt or GTA. I've never played them myself but I've read enough reviews/articles to know that they are rated M for a very good reason.

It's because of retards like this brain surgeon that when I went to Best Buy today to get "Roadkill" I needed I.D. !

I'm 32 for God's sake and need to flash credentials for a damn video game!

It was somewhat flattering but also just out right stupid at the same time.

Here's a hint pal, don't give your kids the game to play and you won't have these problems. After all, I bet junior didn't buy it himself!

Blaming a game for bad parenting is a joke!

It's funny, being old enough to buy the games apparently dosent make a person smart enough to know what to DO with them.

"I need to see you ID to let you buy this game"
"Here you go, I'm 35."
"Thank you, Enjoy your game."
"Oh, it's not for me it's for my son Timmy!"

[quote name='Maxwell31']It's because of retards like this brain surgeon that when I went to Best Buy today to get "Roadkill" I needed I.D. !

I'm 32 for God's sake and need to flash credentials for a damn video game![/quote]

But, your breasts are so high and firm. Anyone could make the same mistake.

jmcc wrote:

But, your breasts are so high and firm. Anyone could make the same mistake.

True, I was shopping at BestBuy after all! LOL!

bread's done
Back