Microsoft plans to charge license fee for Xbox 360 peripherals

I personally don't see this as a bad thing...perhaps it will keep some of the shoddy fly by night 3rd party crap out of the marketplace. I have found that few outsider peripherals are as reliable or have the quality of 1st party devices.

Dosen't Microsoft also hold exclusive rights to the wireless controllers for year, and all third party controllers MUST be wired?

Supposedly this will raise third party device quality, but I doubt it.

What it will definitely do is raise prices on third party devices - not paying for high priced first party hardware was the point of buying third party hardware in the first place.

[quote name='Scrubking']Supposedly this will raise third party device quality, but I doubt it.

What it will definitely do is raise prices on third party devices - not paying for high priced first party hardware was the point of buying third party hardware in the first place.[/QUOTE]

...Thus it makes perfect buisness sense, but sucks for people with a lack of funds...or who get a bit too angry and break them

Dear MS, please charge Pelican and Mad Catz the most as they almost always produce products that just plainly suck.

Thanks.

;)

[quote name='Scrubking']Supposedly this will raise third party device quality, but I doubt it.

What it will definitely do is raise prices on third party devices - not paying for high priced first party hardware was the point of buying third party hardware in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Good Point. I rarely will buy anything 3rd party since I bought some pelican controllers for my xbox. Unresponsive buttons suck.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']...Thus it makes perfect buisness sense, but sucks for people with a lack of funds...or who get a bit too angry and break them[/QUOTE]

or people who don't like getting ripped off

or people who like paying a fair price for products

[quote name='mtxbass1']Dear MS, please charge Pelican and Mad Catz the most as they almost always produce products that just plainly suck.

Thanks.

;)[/QUOTE]
My RetroCon tells me you're wrong. ;)

[quote name='Roufuss']Dosen't Microsoft also hold exclusive rights to the wireless controllers for year, and all third party controllers MUST be wired?[/QUOTE]

According to that article they are currently only allowing Mad Catz to make wired controllers and nothing else. Article seems to say that at this point there will be no 3rd party memory cards, wireless controllers, or anything else. Even though I prefer 1st party controllers, I like picking up cheap-o 3rd party ones for the 3rd+ players. (Since I rarely have that many, anyway.)

I thought the xbox 360 was gong to be able to use regular xbox controllers ? I was really looking forward to using my Smart Joy Frag on Halo 3.

[quote name='KingDox']I thought the xbox 360 was gong to be able to use regular xbox controllers ? I was really looking forward to using my Smart Joy Frag on Halo 3.[/QUOTE]

I imagine someone will make a USB adapter allowing the original controllers to be used if that is possible. I think it would be since they have pretty much the same buttons. White + black have been moved and renamed, and I think there is a new 'Live' button in the middle. It shouldn't be a problem for player 2 to not have a 'Live' button :lol: Of course some games will probably be pretty hard to control with the crappy placement of the current W+B buttons vs. the much easier to handle (IMO) extra shoulder buttons, but that just means more kills for the people with the nice controllers ;)

Only question for me is whether this security stuff will make it not work. :cry:

[quote name='62t']I wonder how long it will take before someone crack the "security."[/QUOTE]

And if the security is cracked the product enters the shady legality of a mod chip. And no retailers will carry it.

[quote name='daikaiju']I personally don't see this as a bad thing...perhaps it will keep some of the shoddy fly by night 3rd party crap out of the marketplace. I have found that few outsider peripherals are as reliable or have the quality of 1st party devices.[/QUOTE]

Exactally what i was thinking. Get rid of all those no name controllers and crap. Look on ebay, there are mounds of these controllers for XBOX that look like Controller S's but they are not. They are shitty knock offs........damn budget companies :)

bread's done
Back