- - - - -

Microsoft plans to charge license fee for Xbox 360 peripherals

#1 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   17724 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 06:40 PM

Software giant takes a cut of the third-party peripherals market for its next-gen console

Manufacturers seeking to release peripherals for the Xbox 360 will have to pay royalties to Microsoft on each unit sold, with a new security system on the console preventing the connection of unlicensed devices.
http://www.gamesindu...e.php?aid=10728

#2 daikaiju   Bitter Old Man CAGiversary!   665 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 06:44 PM

I personally don't see this as a bad thing...perhaps it will keep some of the shoddy fly by night 3rd party crap out of the marketplace. I have found that few outsider peripherals are as reliable or have the quality of 1st party devices.

#3 Roufuss   is now a coupon CAGiversary!   21591 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 06:45 PM

Dosen't Microsoft also hold exclusive rights to the wireless controllers for year, and all third party controllers MUST be wired?

#4 Scrubking   Feels the Force CAGiversary!   4804 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Scrubking

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:19 PM

Supposedly this will raise third party device quality, but I doubt it.

What it will definitely do is raise prices on third party devices - not paying for high priced first party hardware was the point of buying third party hardware in the first place.

#5 SpottedNigel   That Guy CAGiversary!   5223 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

SpottedNigel

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:21 PM

What it will definitely do is raise prices on third party devices - not paying for high priced first party hardware was the point of buying third party hardware in the first place.

...Thus it makes perfect buisness sense, but sucks for people with a lack of funds...or who get a bit too angry and break them

#6 mtxbass1   This space for rent. CAGiversary!   11092 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:21 PM

Dear MS, please charge Pelican and Mad Catz the most as they almost always produce products that just plainly suck.

Thanks.

;)

#7 pimpinc333   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   11381 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:23 PM

Good Point. I rarely will buy anything 3rd party since I bought some pelican controllers for my xbox. Unresponsive buttons suck.

#8 ryanbph   Man Down CAGiversary!   7233 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:30 PM

good for them...

#9 Scrubking   Feels the Force CAGiversary!   4804 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Scrubking

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:31 PM

...Thus it makes perfect buisness sense, but sucks for people with a lack of funds...or who get a bit too angry and break them

or people who don't like getting ripped off

or people who like paying a fair price for products

#10 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68502 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:50 PM

Dear MS, please charge Pelican and Mad Catz the most as they almost always produce products that just plainly suck.

Thanks.

;)

My RetroCon tells me you're wrong. ;)

#11 mtxbass1   This space for rent. CAGiversary!   11092 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:51 PM

My RetroCon tells me you're wrong. ;)

ok ok, so they got ONE thing right... ;)

#12 evanft   Wombat needs Nutrisystem. CAGiversary!   7006 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:52 PM

Well this sucks.

#13 Quackzilla   who am i? CAGiversary!   6050 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Quackzilla

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:53 PM

I remember when 3rd party memory cards were about as safe as a paper condom.

I was so fucking pissed when I lost my saves...

#14 wubb   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   20114 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:57 PM

Dosen't Microsoft also hold exclusive rights to the wireless controllers for year, and all third party controllers MUST be wired?

According to that article they are currently only allowing Mad Catz to make wired controllers and nothing else. Article seems to say that at this point there will be no 3rd party memory cards, wireless controllers, or anything else. Even though I prefer 1st party controllers, I like picking up cheap-o 3rd party ones for the 3rd+ players. (Since I rarely have that many, anyway.)

#15 KingDox   Scream My Name CAGiversary!   3771 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 07:11 AM

I thought the xbox 360 was gong to be able to use regular xbox controllers ? I was really looking forward to using my Smart Joy Frag on Halo 3.

#16 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   19957 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 07:33 AM

I wonder how long it will take before someone crack the "security."

#17 wubb   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   20114 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:07 PM

I thought the xbox 360 was gong to be able to use regular xbox controllers ? I was really looking forward to using my Smart Joy Frag on Halo 3.

I imagine someone will make a USB adapter allowing the original controllers to be used if that is possible. I think it would be since they have pretty much the same buttons. White + black have been moved and renamed, and I think there is a new 'Live' button in the middle. It shouldn't be a problem for player 2 to not have a 'Live' button :lol: Of course some games will probably be pretty hard to control with the crappy placement of the current W+B buttons vs. the much easier to handle (IMO) extra shoulder buttons, but that just means more kills for the people with the nice controllers ;)

Only question for me is whether this security stuff will make it not work. :cry:

#18 Friedle   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   833 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:57 PM

I wonder how long it will take before someone crack the "security."

And if the security is cracked the product enters the shady legality of a mod chip. And no retailers will carry it.

#19 Blind the Thief   I want my Mother. CAGiversary!   1650 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Blind the Thief

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:09 PM

<sarcasm> I sure hope this doesn't affect the amount of Madcatz (with a z!) products we see for the system. That'd be a shame. </sarcasm>

#20 stocker08   Socially Awkward CAGiversary!   1312 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 05:43 AM

I personally don't see this as a bad thing...perhaps it will keep some of the shoddy fly by night 3rd party crap out of the marketplace. I have found that few outsider peripherals are as reliable or have the quality of 1st party devices.

Exactally what i was thinking. Get rid of all those no name controllers and crap. Look on ebay, there are mounds of these controllers for XBOX that look like Controller S's but they are not. They are shitty knock offs........damn budget companies :-)