Overcomer or Victim of Hype?

XboxMaster

CAGiversary!
Hype can be the fall and crash of video games. Most of the time, it's a bad thing, sometimes, good. For a game to have hype, a lot of ppl have to think it's gonna be a good game, but there are few that see past the mainstream publicity or whatever makes it hyped up. Have you ever been one of those ppl, telling others that this game will, in fact, suck, but they still don't listen?

One time I can remember that I was an overcomer of hype was around True Crime's pre-release. I could see why a lot of casual gamers would be attracted to it, but I was surprised to see a lot of hardcore gamers, including EB employees I know, attracted to it as well!!! I still stood by my opinion, and I know that I'm not the only one predicting it's lack-luster performance, but I was the only one I knew of that doubted it's capabilites. Then it came out, and I was right, but unfortunately, I didn't go back to EB for a while, so I didn't get to rub it in the employees' faces, which would've been fun :cry: .

Now the opposite, have you ever been so excited about a hyped-up game that you pre-ordered and picked it up on the first day of it's release only to find out it sucks or just doesn't stand up to its hype? Have you ever been a victim to hype?

I have been a victim to hype as well as an overcomer. What game? Dead to Rights. It looked and sounded awesome in the mags, its concept sounded great in the mags, and it was, but unforunately, the developers ruined it. I had pre-ordered it, picked it up the day it came out, and turned it back in the day after it came out.

Now, you may be thinking, "WTF, these games weren't great, but they weren't horrible, this guy is stupid", but I'm talking about games that didn't live up to either your personal expectations, or to many gamers' expectations (hype).

I thought the original WWF Smackdown on Playstation was gonna be awesome at the time, and being a big wrestling fan I preordered it. I was really dissappointed by its create a wrestler mode and the lack of many wrestlers, even though the graphics were pretty nice for the time.

I always thought Halo would suck, despite all the hype, and you know what? I was pleasently proved. I think I avoided the hype on that one.

I thought Star Fox Adventures would be amazing. I thought it was OK, but certainly not worth running to the store to get it at launch. I was right about The Getaway, though. I originally wanted to pass up getting GTA Vice City to wait and get The Getaway. Then I came to my senses and bought Vice City at launch.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I always thought Halo would suck, despite all the hype, and you know what? I was pleasently proved. I think I avoided the hype on that one.[/quote]

That took a blow right to my Xbox fanboy heart...

what is a victom? "can i eat it?" maybe its a victor, in the size of a atom...

edit: OP edited topic's spelling.. whew.. thank you OP, hope u did not take it to the heart.

[quote name='rimsforsale']what is a victom? "can i eat it?" maybe its a victor, in the size of a atom...[/quote]

A simple "spell check" call would have been adequate.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I always thought Halo would suck, despite all the hype, and you know what? I was pleasently proved. I think I avoided the hype on that one.[/quote] I love how how trashes Halo, but about 6 months ago he was wanting to play the demo with everyone on CAG :wink:

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='SneakyPenguin']I always thought Halo would suck, despite all the hype, and you know what? I was pleasently proved. I think I avoided the hype on that one.[/quote] I love how how trashes Halo, but about 6 months ago he was wanting to play the demo with everyone on CAG :wink:[/quote]

Multiplayer on the PC version is good. Single player everywhere and multiplayer on the boc sucks. In fact, the whole games sucks. The only thing good about it is the multiplayer on the PC version.

Penguin is right. The game is much better on the PC, but to say the whole game sucks is a little out there (but there are much better shooters)

The last game that I was hyped about and actually pre-ordered was World Series Baseball for the Dreamcast. Needless to say that it really sucked like hell and I found myself trading it in about a week later. I've never pre-ordered another game since, I'd rather pick up the game after it's been proven that it's a good game.

[quote name='karmapolice620']Did Xboxmaster seriously call EB employees hardcore gamers? Anyone see something terribly wrong with that statement?[/quote]

The statement wouldn't look right to most, but to a few lucky (me) ppl that have EB's filled with employees that actually know what they're talking about and actually play, it would.

I got caught up in the hype for Pandora Tomorrow's multiplayer. When I first played it and got my arse whooped by some punk kids I realized I was a victim of hype.

I got caught up in the hype for Pandora Tomorrow's multiplayer. When I first played it and got my arse whooped by some punk kids I realized I was a victim of hype.

No your a victim of giving up and not trying to get better...I hate those people who try games once and suck so they give up and say its horrible...no your just to lazy to try

[quote name='karmapolice620']I got caught up in the hype for Pandora Tomorrow's multiplayer. When I first played it and got my arse whooped by some punk kids I realized I was a victim of hype.

No your a victim of giving up and not trying to get better...I hate those people who try games once and suck so they give up and say its horrible...no your just to lazy to try[/quote]

I still suck at PGR2 and I played it for 2 weeks straight.

[quote name='evilmax17']WWF Raw (XB)

It got a 9.something at ign. WTF game were they playing?[/quote]

they also gave Raw 2 a really high score

I would say i had my hopes up for Deus Ex: Invisible War, it decent, but not as great as the first.

[quote name='MightySlacker']XENOSAGA
[/quote]

I couldn't have came to this conclusion. Then again, I didn't pay attention to any hype around this game. All I read about it was that it was practically a movie, and that made me not want to play in. After 1 year and a $9.99 price tag, I bought it anyway, and had more fun with that than I would have ever imagined.

i got a good one for you. I remember when i was reading about a game codenamed at the time "RLH" and IGN said they got to play it behind closed doors and thought the world of it. Little did we know the game would be released under Run like Hell, and man o man did it suck the preverbial weenur or what????

Oh and you don't like SSPT multiplayer not because it's not good, but b/c you are t3h sux at it :p

MEYnerd

see i thought xenosaga was dope if you played it for like 14 hours into the game then it got really good and the story was awesome. I'm confused as to why more people didn't like halo? Is it cause you don't like xbox or did you seriously not like the game? Elaborate a little bit more and tell us why you didn't like it. It does you no justice to just say "I though it sucked"

MEYnerd

I am damn suprized that Nobody here has thought of State of Emergency. That was hyped up to be the greatest game ever, but it sucked super monkey balls. I preordered it from gamestop, and I saw the gameplay in store, and I just couldn't buy it. It just sucked.

state of emergency was ok just boring after 30 min. WWF raw 1 and 2 WTF was ign talking about. Also why the hell is AKI developing more wrestling games (excluding ultimate muscle) SCREW YUKES

m.n

I like State Of Emergency...Actually I just traded a game for it yesterday...I like needless killing that is overly dramatized...and anyone else wonder why the media never got mad at SOE?

probably cause all that damn buzz was still surrounding GTA. HL2 is starting to get hyped pretty hardcore, but i have alot of faith in it. GOD i can't wait for HL2, i promise you all i will play that game for 24 hours within the day it comes out. I'm requesting off 2 days whenever they finally decide on a fucking release date

MEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYNnnnneerrrrdddddd

sunnnnday sunnnnday sunnnnday

man I so wanted DX:IW to be a good game, but it got so many bad reviews I refuse to buy it untill I can find it for under 20.

The First DX I loved and is my favorite game ever, so it really hurt when part 2 got such bad reviews.

haha.
have to agree about halo. I played it over my friend's house, both multiplayer and single player, and it just blowed.
and i don't know if this game was hyped or not, but i was the very few who bought arc the lad FULL PRICED at 39.99, and was extremely disappointed. now it's potentially worthless, so i can't get rid of it for a good price.

maybe youre over exaggerating with the Halo. Its better to reconsider. THat game introduced, or improved several aspects of previous fps games. Despite the fact that its the only game that some xbox owners ever tend to mention though to diss other systems, that can be a downfall to this games image.

*puts down 2 cents on the discussion table and leaves*

Honestly, I think it's often pretty hard to tell if a game is going to be great or a great big stinker before it actually comes out and you can read some reviews or rent it to play for yourself. Sometimes even the reviews don't give you a really good picture of what you will personally enjoy.

For example based on the reviews and seemingly kiddy concept I had practically written off Grabbed by the Ghoulies. But I found it for $10 last week, decided to give it a shot and ended up really enjoying myself with it. If I had spent $50 on the title I would have been dissapointed (it's pretty short - under 7 hours for me although I'm now going back to play the 'bonus' challenges.) But for $10 it's a great pick up.

Previews always paint the best possible picture of a game and unless a game is shaping up to be really bad almost anything can be made to look like it will have promise. A company grants a site or mag the right to do a preview as basically a source of free advertising IMO. I think it's probably pretty well understood that if they don't gloss over any bad points as things still needing to be tweaked the site won't be getting much more inside info on future titles. ("the game ran at a solid 10FPS at this very very early stage in development and there is lots of clipping which they tell us will be eliminated in the next build, also the enemies kind of stand around and turn their back on you, but the rest of what we saw was fricking mind-blowing!!!")

[quote name='Eclipse']maybe youre over exaggerating with the Halo. Its better to reconsider. THat game introduced, or improved several aspects of previous fps games. Despite the fact that its the only game that some xbox owners ever tend to mention though to diss other systems, that can be a downfall to this games image.

*puts down 2 cents on the discussion table and leaves*[/quote]

I hate that stupid theory. The one that says all Xbox fanboys defend Xbox by always mentioning how awesome Halo is. When's the last time you saw (or heard) an educated (in video games) Xbox fanboy say that? I'm sure a lot of us did when Halo first came out, but really, no one says that anymore and now it's like an old wives' tale. I can't walk into a console flame war without a PS2 fanboy saying something like, "Oh no, here come the Xbox fanboys to say how good Halo is", I look at all the posts, guess what, no Xbox fanboy held Halo in their hands as the savior of Xbox. I know you're thinking something along the lines of, "He's just trying to protect his own kind", but I'm being totally and completely honest here, I, myself, have never, ever, ever seen an Xbox fanboy try to defend Xbox solely with Halo. I'm sure it's been done before, but obviously not a lot, at least, in the past year. Why would I make that estimation? Because that's when I started getting on game forums, and, of course, like any game forum newbie, started a lot of console wars. Now, let's try and remember I said educated fanboys, because I can easily depict a casual gamer shamelessly saying, "Well, we have Halo and you don't", in my mind.

I have an xbox too, and enjoy having it alongside my other consoles. Just that the dorks at my videogame college go on and on about it to people who dont have Halo, and i sometimes ask them to stop, since its on a daily basis. Which means that our school is very full of uneducated Halo/BLizzard, etc. fanboys. THis is going on in real life. =0 I go to Digipen in Seattle, that nintendo school-thats why dumb crap like that happens. SO the comment wasnt meant as an attack on xbox.

bread's done
Back