Zelda delayed till 2006

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet!

http://cube.ign.com/articles/642/642238p1.html

Not sure what to think. If this delay results in it being one of the best games ever, then obviously I can wait. However, as the article points out, the November release would have kept Nintendo in the spotlight, at least somewhat, during the Xbox 360 launch. Not to mention all the Christmas sales.

To summarize - Zelda has been pushed off to an as of yet unspecified date, some time after March 2006, to make it a better game...

Ah... let them take there sweet ole' time. If there not rushed then they can make a better game. Although it is kind of dissapointing to wait even longer... Im sure its worth it in the long run.

BAD MOVE NINTENDO!!!

now they have nothing at all holding up their holiday sales. The delay of this game could bury the nintendo name in the coming console next gen wars.

First we have to deal with lacking rev details, now we cant even get the game every nintendo fan wanted this year.

why bother nintendo, just fold

Nintendo will rely on the DS for sales.. with wireless multiplayer, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, and Nintendogs, they will be fine.

*stretches* doesn't that EB deal state that the deal's good until it comes out? Yay.

While still a bit shocking, honestly this isn't too crazy considering it's Nintendo we're talking about here. Delays are abound as usual. I just find it funny that the press release was sent out in the middle of the night...I guess it must be earth-shattering news for the Nintendo PR group.

it is earth shattering news. how do they expect to stand up to the xbox 360 and playstation 3's holiday line up if their console stands pat with garbage? Is this the sign we've all been waiting for that nintendo is officially dumping home console gaming and looking to just portables?

The delay is not surprising given Nintendo's past.

Business-wise, it's a bad decision because Nintendo won't cash in on the lucrative holiday season. This was supposed to be Gamecube's main attraction but it looks like the lineup will be pretty sparse come Christmas-time. This will only help XB360 and PS2... You can officialy stick a fork in Gamecube now. It's over.

But as a Zelda fan, I'm glad they are taking their time to make a better/deeper game... WW was a good game but it felt lacking. Nintendo even admitted they didn't have time to implement more dungeons because they had to rush the game to market... so I don't mind waiting since I already have a stacks of unsealed CAG titles to play through over the next several months.

So it looks like EB will be extending the trade-in 5 PO for Zelda:TW until 2006?

[quote name='sabin23']The delay is not surprising given Nintendo's past.

Business-wise, it's a bad decision because Nintendo won't cash in on the lucrative holiday season. This was supposed to be Gamecube's main attraction but it looks like the lineup will be pretty sparse come Christmas-time. This will only help XB360 and PS2... You can officialy stick a fork in Gamecube now. It's over.

But as a Zelda fan, I'm glad they are taking their time to make a better/deeper game... WW was a good game but it felt lacking. Nintendo even admitted they didn't have time to implement more dungeons because they had to rush the game to market... so I don't mind waiting since I already have a stacks of unsealed CAG titles to play through over the next several months.

So it looks like EB will be extending the trade-in 5 PO for Zelda:TW until 2006?[/QUOTE]

I wonder why they just dont hold it off and make it a rev launch title now, the gamecube is virtually dead. it could be a real strong system seller.

[quote name='sabin23'] so I don't mind waiting since I already have a stacks of unsealed CAG titles to play through over the next several months.

So it looks like EB will be extending the trade-in 5 PO for Zelda:TW until 2006?[/QUOTE]

NO kidding :D. ALL games for ALL consoles could be delayed for a year and I'd have plenty to play from my CAG acquisitions (I have just about the entire PS2 RPG library to get through yet). This does mean, though, that besides Mario Baseball and maybe Fire Emblem my GC won't get much play time the rest of this year - it will all be PS2.

Yeah, I don't know what EB will do - now I am even more worried about the EB/GS merge - if they start closing stores the preorders could get messy. I haven't done the preorder yet, so I'll pick an EB with no GS nearby. They'd be less likely to close it. I'll just need to remember way out in April or June or whatever of 2006, at which store I put in my Zelda preorder. :D

Im sure with the preorders they will change the eb store into a gamestop unless theres a gamestop right next to ebgames then they will probably ship the preorders to that gamestop... not really that complicated :p

*cough* Revolution launch title? *cough*

Seriously tho, this really doesn't bug me too much b/c I'm in Japan and now I don't have to go through the hassle of importing an English version just yet :)
Mario Baseball and DDR Mario Mix are crazy btw, I played them in the store the other day. Good stuff.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']it is earth shattering news. how do they expect to stand up to the xbox 360 and playstation 3's holiday line up if their console stands pat with garbage? Is this the sign we've all been waiting for that nintendo is officially dumping home console gaming and looking to just portables?[/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware that PS3 was launching so soon. ;)

What makes you think that Nintendo would jump ship on consoles with the Revolution launch pending?

Maybe I can switch my EB pre-order to Burnout Revenge...

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']BAD MOVE NINTENDO!!![/QUOTE]

Yep. People are already trading in their GameCubes... I can't imagine a lot people will be holding onto them this long.

Then again, a lot of people are anticipating Zelda and would get it regardless. So; who knows?

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']BAD MOVE NINTENDO!!!

now they have nothing at all holding up their holiday sales. The delay of this game could bury the nintendo name in the coming console next gen wars.

First we have to deal with lacking rev details, now we cant even get the game every nintendo fan wanted this year.

why bother nintendo, just fold[/QUOTE]

STFU! get a life and move on to another thread

[quote name='Brak']People are already trading in their GameCubes...[/QUOTE]

On the plus side, this should mean that we'll be seeing really cheap used Gamecube systems on the market in the near future. I hate to see Nintendo losing market share, but I like picking up a spare system cheap. :D

I wonder if Nintendo will try to market the game to be played on the Revo instead of the Gamecube. The Revo should be launching around that timeframe (At least that's what most reports have suggested), so it might be a good idea for Nintendo to either convert it to the Revo or at least market it for the Revo.

It is a bit shocking but if it makes the game that much better than I'm all for it. I'd rather see Nintendo hold it off and make it better than rush it out just for a strong holiday season.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I wonder if Nintendo will try to market the game to be played on the Revo instead of the Gamecube. The Revo should be launching around that timeframe (At least that's what most reports have suggested), so it might be a good idea for Nintendo to either convert it to the Revo or at least market it for the Revo.[/QUOTE]

Given what we know about the Revolution, I am *very* skeptical of a 2006 release, period. You make a good point, and it puts Nintendo in a conundrum. They have gone through two console cycles with a number of *great* games, but they seem to become fewer and fewer (not to even mention dwindling third party support). There have been some fantastic GC titles, but few "blockbusters," IMO.

Yes, we can discuss the tired "Nintendo takes their time" arguments. In advance, my response to this is that: the market pace is frantic right now. You can embrace Nintendo and make excuses for all these delays (and maybe delays will lead to a better game after all), but their patient "Jack Daniels" (if you recall those advertisements from the 80's) approach to releasing games *is getting their ass kicked.*

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I wonder if Nintendo will try to market the game to be played on the Revo instead of the Gamecube. The Revo should be launching around that timeframe (At least that's what most reports have suggested), so it might be a good idea for Nintendo to either convert it to the Revo or at least market it for the Revo.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's a pretty good point. The Revolution can play GC games. So what better way to entice people who don't own a GC to pick up a Rev? A huge NES library, plus the most fucking amazing-looking Zelda game since the N64 tech demo?

I'd rather them hold this back for a Revolution release - it would be a system seller for sure and if they had that much time to fine tune everything and up the level of detail to "next-gen" quality (whatever that means) then I wouldn't mind waiting at all. They need to make it better than Wind Waker (the only Zelda game I have yet to finish).

While I'm disappointed that there is going to be a delay, I'm glad Nintendo realizes that rushing a half-assed game to market is worse than delaying the most anticipated game for the GC.

As someone else stated, the DS games that are coming out at the end of the year should tide Nintendo over until Zelda launches.

[quote name='lebowsky']While I'm disappointed that there is going to be a delay, I'm glad Nintendo realizes that rushing a half-assed game to market is worse than delaying the most anticipated game for the GC.[/QUOTE]
Also very damn true. I hate hearing the "yeah, we didn't have time to put Magus in / revive the dead FF7 character / add dungeons / include the previously-announced bonus features because we had to rush this game to the market".

Seems like Nintendo really is in it for the games, even to the extent of it potentially hurting sales. Awesomeness.

This day and age nobody can really win. My point is this...if the game came out and it lacked in some way everyone would complain. If the game gets delayed people complain. I'm glad nintendo is patient for the most part. If anything they almost always deliver quality. Why does everyone always want everything right away? In this day and age it seems like everything is quickly becoming a sequel. Will it take until Prince of Persia 27 to come out for you to get tired of it? Maybe but everything seems to be headed in the same direction.

Nintendo has managed to at least keep their Mario and Zelda titles unique for the most part from title to title. Wind Waker and Mario Sunshine were a different experience from their older counterparts but then people complained about that. Maybe its just because Ocarina and Mario 64 were THAT good.

As for getting rid of your CUBE why did you buy it in the first place? For 3 or so games? I own a PS2 but I also buy 3rd party titles for the Cube. Some of them have better graphics. I guess it could be that I favor the Wavebird as well. I realize that the Cube lacks online and a lot of 3rd party titles but for people who own say an XBOX and a Gamecube you do realize the same games can be had on both right? It's not Nintendo's fault you bought the system for only Zelda.

jkam: You are right. There is no such thing as satisfying the masses anymore. There are just too many companies making games these days. There are a bunch of games I've played in the past few years that I think are absolutely fantastic and I've come to these meassage boards and hear people say it sucks. Most notably Metroid Prime - my favorite game of all time - I always think how could anyone not like this? But people don't. I don't understand it... back in the 8-bit/16-bit days when a great game came out it seemed to get universal praise but that was probably because the internet wasn't around for everyone to be heard.

You will never hear me complain about a delay if it makes the end product better. Once it eventually comes out, no one remembers the delays, just the experience. There's a quote out there that I can't remember but it says something like a bad game is bad forever but a good game will be remembered as such even if it gets delayed a bunch of times and everyone gets their panties in a bunch over it or something...

However, as annoying as yearly releases are of certain franchises (because of the lack of new IP), I am also part of the problem because I will keep buying Prince of Persia, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper games every single year until they start to suck. Why? I like playing good games - no matter if it is Prince of Persia 27 or something completely brand new (of course being the cheapass that I am I'm a year behind schedule because I will only pay $20 each)... I don't know...

It probably won't happen, but it would be nice if Nintendo released a demo disc of the playable levels from E3 to hold over everyone who was looking forward to this game.

[quote name='jkam']As for getting rid of your CUBE why did you buy it in the first place? For 3 or so games? I own a PS2 but I also buy 3rd party titles for the Cube. Some of them have better graphics. I guess it could be that I favor the Wavebird as well. I realize that the Cube lacks online and a lot of 3rd party titles but for people who own say an XBOX and a Gamecube you do realize the same games can be had on both right? It's not Nintendo's fault you bought the system for only Zelda.[/QUOTE]

I am a new cube owner and having the xbox and the cube has proven to be a nice combination. I get my online fix and my "Nintendo Creativity" fix. Also, I got RE4 which is awesome. I am selling my xbox soon and keeping my cube to prepare for XB360. I would go into it more but at my current locale, the spacebar doesn't work and I have to keep mousing the space key on the OSK.

WHAT THE fuck? god damn nintendo. WHY WHY WHY. next thing you know this gonna be pushed to the god damn revolution and its gonna cost me another 300 bucks. i just spent 50$ getting my cube fixed in anticipation for this game too.

I hope nintendo is taking the time to pump up the resolution on some of the textures in the game. Some of them looked a little too muddy and not as crisp as I'd like.

What does Nintendo even have for the holidays for the Cube? IGN is running the Sponge Bob party game on their front page! C'mon, Sponge Bob? A feature game? Worthy of a major headline????

The Cube is sooooooooooo dead it's not even funny anymore. At first I got a chuckle out of Nintendo's misfortune how MS was beating them but now it's like they're on their feet bloody, two puffy eyes, broken nose, cauliflowered ear but still don't go down. It's just sad to watch anymore. I figured Zelda could be a respectful final holiday season goodbye to a lousy year and a way for Cube owners to enjoy the holidays.

Now their major holiday titles are Fire Emblem, Mario Party 7 and a Kirby. Yeeeeech. I don't know how fanboys stand behind Nintendo for consoles anymore. They've swayed me from being a disser to a "I'm interested." in the DS but man, their console business is a complete fucking mess.

"Consequently, we're announcing a new global launch in 2006, after the conclusion of this fiscal year (March 31). We'll provide a specific date at a later point in time. While this may come as a disappointment to many eager fans, it will absolutely enrich the game and make it a multi-million seller."

............APRIL AT EARLIEST. NINTENDO HAS OFFICIALLY SHOT ITSELF IN THE FACE. Why in the hell do they want to release the biggest game in the history of the console then release their next gen console a few months later? With crap like this, I wouldn't be surprised if they delay the Revolution until late 2007 or even cancelling it. And if they're depending on the DS for their revenue at the same time the 360 comes out, they're nuts.

This is disappointing, but if it means we're going to get a much better game, I'm all for it. I'd rather see a delayed game come out and turn out to be great, then a half assed game rushed out for the holidays

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']it is earth shattering news. how do they expect to stand up to the xbox 360 and playstation 3's holiday line up if their console stands pat with garbage? Is this the sign we've all been waiting for that nintendo is officially dumping home console gaming and looking to just portables?[/QUOTE]

Well, given that the PS3 isn't coming out, I imagine they will kick it's holiday line-up no matter what.

This holiday season is Sony's lock stock and barrel. They're going to clean up on everything. They have the best current generation lineup by far.

Next gen systems never carry holiday seasons their first year versus established consoles. This reminds me so much of when the Jaguar, Saturn and 3DO were on the market and Nintendo released DKC and destroyed everyone.

Is it possible that Nintendo is going to finish FOURTH this holiday season on console sales?????

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Is it possible that Nintendo is going to finish FOURTH this holiday season on console sales?????[/QUOTE]

Possible? It's all but assured. Microsoft will sell as many 360s as they can manufacture and at least one game per system. Sony's line-up is way stronger than Nintendo's. The only chance the GCN has is beating the Xbox but I don't even think that will happen...

[quote name='c']Seems like Nintendo really is in it for the games, even to the extent of it potentially hurting sales. Awesomeness.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, whatever helps you to sleep at night, buddy. Nintendo is definitely in this for the money first and foremost.

Oh well I guess I won't be touching my GC this holiday season. I'll be busy with my 360 anyhow. I have so many other games as well. I hope it's a great fucking game because I preordered it. This looks like the last great GC title...maybe that's why nintendo pushed it back to march of next year. That way some of the momentum can carry over to Revolution and what not.

Plus it'll keep nintendo in the news between the high profile release of the PS3 and Halo 3. I think it's a good PR move on their part but it sucks for gamers who were looking foward to it. I guess it's just part of the business... who knows.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']Yeah, whatever helps you to sleep at night, buddy. Nintendo is definitely in this for the money first and foremost.[/QUOTE]
Uh well so is every other company. I'm saying at least they care enough about making a good game to allow the development team the time they desire... a practice more companies should follow.

bread's done
Back