Looks Like I found My HDTV....Now what??

Verbal

CAGiversary!
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=26hf85

Looks like Im gonna go with this one unless anyone here can recommend me a better one in that same price...I personally do no want to go over $800....So my question is now that ive picked my hdtv what now? Im not an audio/video buff so what other cables and equipment will I have to buy in order to use the hdtv to its full potential?..Keep in mind im buying this tv with the 360 in mind and I wanna hook my xbox up to it.

Thanks in advance.

well an xbox HD kit would be the first thing.. I'd just buy either an official version.. then i'd buy monster cables to run everything. (this stuff is pricey, but its the best and well worth it). for the 360.. it'll come HD ready.. so it'll include (as far as everyone knows) cables to hook into it.

also remember sound is just as important as visuals.. so maybe 150-200 spent into surround (if you haven't already) will make loads of difference in how you experience games/dvds.

Does this TV even do 720p ? The 360 is going to support 720p so if you get an HDTV that cannot do 720p you are not going to get the best picture.

I don't trust Monster anything. But yeah decent cables will definitely make a difference. Get the offficial MS HD pack for like $20 from Gamestop or just about anywhere nowadays. For sound, use optical cables if possible. That is the only way to get true DD or DTS surround from your components. Go to radioshack and get a decent one for under $10 or go to Walmart and they have some sweet looking gold and silver ended ones for like $20. These really don't make a difference AFAIK in sound only in the durability of the cable.

[quote name='Indiana']Does this TV even do 720p ? The 360 is going to support 720p so if you get an HDTV that cannot do 720p you are not going to get the best picture.[/QUOTE]
Maybe not the best picture but for the price..............he will definitely get a damn good picture, better than any analog TV would get.

[quote name='urzishra14']well an xbox HD kit would be the first thing.. I'd just buy either an official version.. then i'd buy monster cables to run everything. (this stuff is pricey, but its the best and well worth it). for the 360.. it'll come HD ready.. so it'll include (as far as everyone knows) cables to hook into it.

also remember sound is just as important as visuals.. so maybe 150-200 spent into surround (if you haven't already) will make loads of difference in how you experience games/dvds.[/QUOTE]

Monster cables are crap. Not crap but dollar for dollar they are the worst value in cable. I cant believe the people who buy into the "OMG they are da best" BS.
Most people who say they see a difference WANT to see a difference. The few of us that CAN realize the improvement is so slight that spending 5 times what it cost for other quality cable is crap.
And I wont even get into their company practices. Makes microsoft look like saints.

*Edit for link* Please notice that monster cable did average to poor yet cost an ungodly amount more per foot than any one but the Alpha series. With monster YOU NEVER GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/interconnects/DIYSpeakerCablesp3.html

[quote name='urzishra14']well an xbox HD kit would be the first thing.. I'd just buy either an official version.. then i'd buy monster cables to run everything. (this stuff is pricey, but its the best and well worth it). for the 360.. it'll come HD ready.. so it'll include (as far as everyone knows) cables to hook into it.

also remember sound is just as important as visuals.. so maybe 150-200 spent into surround (if you haven't already) will make loads of difference in how you experience games/dvds.[/QUOTE]

You don't realize they charge 20 dollars for a cable that is the same as any other cable but just looks more flashy? Here go and download this video and they show that all of the GOODness and stuff of monster's cables don't make a difference.
http://revision3.com/systm/avcabling/
The whole video shows you how to make hi-quality cables but its the beginning where they look at monster cables with a professional.

[quote name='cyrix`']You don't realize they charge 20 dollars for a cable that is the same as any other cable but just looks more flashy? Here go and download this video and they show that all of the GOODness and stuff of monster's cables don't make a difference.
http://revision3.com/systm/avcabling/
The whole video shows you how to make hi-quality cables but its the beginning where they look at monster cables with a professional.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the Systm guys rock.. I watched this about a week ago...
The TV is not that bad but you might want to hold out .. From what I have read on the web and in indresty mags the HDTV flat panale market is going to get super low this X-mas. A CRT HDTV is not bad but I would look into a Smae size flat panle later this year . and it shows that it dose 1018i that means it will convert any 720p to that and it looks fine My rear projection set dose this and the 720p looks sweet on my TV (espnhd, foxhd, Xmen Legands for xbox).. If this is the size your looking for I would wate a few months for 2 reasons the market is comign down and that means the CRTs will hit Firesale shelfs and I may pick one up for my Bedroom is thats the case... And I agree with the MC argument not worth paying the price any MC I have I got used or super cheap .. Watch the vid it answers alot of ? and kills some myths

[quote name='urzishra14']then i'd buy monster cables to run everything. [/QUOTE]

No way, they are crap. Way too expensive. Almost any brand will do just fine. I have monsters, generic, and Psyclone. And the monsters are no different then any of the others. If you have a gamecube, order your cables now, because they are currently in stock which is a rarity.

where are you buying it from?
pricegrabber shows pcconnection at $480 (and the $5 rebate)
Will the xbox360 support hdmi, does anyone know? If so, those will be the cables you will want and anything you buy now for the xbox would be replaced.

[quote name='Indiana']Does this TV even do 720p ? The 360 is going to support 720p so if you get an HDTV that cannot do 720p you are not going to get the best picture.[/QUOTE]

True. Doesn't look like it: CrystalScan HDSC™ (All time 1080i) with User Selectable 540p

Go with a Sony, they usually support almost all the different resolutions.

You guys are WRONG about the monster cable video game cables. I have seen with my own eyes the diffrences between cables(at least s-video) I've done comparasons with all 3 MC s-video cables.(ps2,GC , xbox) and mad catz and sony s-video cables. And each time the monster cable came out on top.

Now I reccomend buying off of ebay or used game shop. After all this is CAG! ;) Now as far as your dvd player options audio etc.

You do have MANY options for good a/v. I liked acoustic research( I think that's the brand of cables) They are comparable to others you just don't get the inflated price of other" high end" cables.

And don't forget to get a calibration dvd for your tv. To make sure you get the best picture out of that sucker.(turn the sharpness all the way down, it adds jaggies & artifical information to the picture)

Good luck & enjoy your tv!

NO!!!!!! Do not buy that TV!! I originally bought that exact TV back in June, I thought it would be perfect for my bedroom since it is the smallest HD Ready Tube TV they make, boy was I wrong! The TV isn't even made by Toshiba, it is made by a Thailand company called Orion (our friends who make crappy brands like Memorex). The first problem I had with the TV was that the HDMI port does not work correctly. I had a upscale DVD player using the HDMI cable and it would flicker every so often. This wasn't the DVD player because I tried 3 different players on the tv and all 3 did the same thing. The next problem I had was when playing my old game systems (NES, N64, SNES) the tv would automatically cut off the bottom of the screen. There was no way to resize it so most of the older games were unplayable. I emailed Toshiba and they told me the TV already needed service, luckily I worked at Sears at the time so even though it was after the 30 day return policy I was able to return it.
I ended up just going to Best Buy and getting this TV http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=TXR2678WHX%2fXAA

The retail price on the Toshiba is $599.99 and the Samsung one is a much better TV and the retail price is $649.99. I got the Samsung for $584.99 and it was a much better deal since it has the OTA tuner built in. This is nice because I don't plan on buying all the Satellite HD equipment for a while and I am getting free OTA HD/Digital programming. Sorry for the long reply , but I am just warning you DO NOT BUY THAT TV. I have read of quite a few others having problems with it too.

I had a friend that used to work at Best Buy and he told me back then to never get the Monster Cables. He said they are so expensive just because the stores get to mark them up real high. He said they are the same as all the other ones, but all the flashy packaging and the "24k Gold connectors" crap was just there as a selling ploy to get folks to plunk down the extra cash.
Some more advice. Take your CAGer attutide into the store with you. I just bought a 32' Sharp Aquos LCD TV at Best Buy a couple weeks ago. Their posted price was $2300 and I asked them "Whats the best deal you could give me on this one?" The sales rep went and called the manager and after a bit of back and forth, I ended up getting the set for $1950 with free shipping AND 10% off my accessories (XBOX component pack, some cables I needed) and I even got them to give me the 10% off of a JVC progressive scan DVD player that was already on sale for $59 (originally $100+). My wife thinks Im crazy for trying to bargin with retail stores..but trust me, it works. The last three big purchases Ive made like that Ive gotten for cheaper than their posted prices.

[quote name='js1']You guys are WRONG about the monster cable video game cables. I have seen with my own eyes the diffrences between cables(at least s-video) I've done comparasons with all 3 MC s-video cables.(ps2,GC , xbox) and mad catz and sony s-video cables. And each time the monster cable came out on top.

Now I reccomend buying off of ebay or used game shop. After all this is CAG! ;) Now as far as your dvd player options audio etc.

You do have MANY options for good a/v. I liked acoustic research( I think that's the brand of cables) They are comparable to others you just don't get the inflated price of other" high end" cables.

And don't forget to get a calibration dvd for your tv. To make sure you get the best picture out of that sucker.(turn the sharpness all the way down, it adds jaggies & artifical information to the picture)

Good luck & enjoy your tv![/QUOTE]

calibration dvd is a good idea but if you have any THX dvds they work just as well (look in the fetures for setup) .. But as far the the MC game cables I have a PS2 Componet Monster Cable (Gamestop preowned 8.99) I replaced a TRU chepy that I bought for 9.99 NO DIFFERENCE if anything the Colors were a just a tad brighter if I would have paied the 50.00 bucks I would have been a very pissed off.. But all this will be moot when I start useing more HDMI and DVI cable becuse Digital makes no difference cheap or expensive the thing that will suck is If I keep my same TV I have 1 DVI input I will need splitters and such UHHHH.

[quote name='minos1067']i don't know if this makes any difference but i heard monster cable is overrated/overpriced. i usually get my stuff here: www.monoprice.com[/QUOTE]

That site's got pretty good prices. Thanks for the link, I'll have to bookmark that for the future :)

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']No you are wrong, we aren't talking about S-video, we are talking component. Completely different.[/QUOTE]

No I'm not, what I'm saying is the monster brand is the best option for your VIDEO GAMES! You have better options/cheaper for you home theater.

Wow this topic is full of misunderstandings.

Go to http://www.avsforum.com/ for all of your HD questions. I get sick of dumbasses that think they know what the hell they are talking about when it comes to HDTV on CAG. When it comes to HD don't trust what you read on CAG.

Yes Orion makes all Toshiba CRT as of last year.
Orion still goes by the Toshiba quality standards not the shit standards some other companies go by.
NO mainstream CRT uses 720p
All Toshiba HD CRT upconverts 720p to 1080i.
Toshibas are known to have the best 720p to 1080 upconvert.
To get the best picture out of the box the majority of all CRT will need serviced.
Buy the TV you want not what others will tell you. If you like the Toshiba buy it if you don't buy a different brand.

[quote name='spoo']Wow this topic is full of misunderstandings.

Go to http://www.avsforum.com/ for all of your HD questions. I get sick of dumbasses that think they know what the hell they are talking about when it comes to HDTV on CAG. When it comes to HD don't trust what you read on CAG.

Yes Orion makes all Toshiba CRT as of last year.
Orion still goes by the Toshiba quality standards not the shit standards some other companies go by.
NO mainstream CRT uses 720p
All Toshiba HD CRT upconverts 720p to 1080i.
Toshibas are known to have the best 720p to 1080 upconvert.
To get the best picture out of the box the majority of all CRT will need serviced.
Buy the TV you want not what others will tell you. If you like the Toshiba buy it if you don't buy a different brand.[/QUOTE]

Well then I must of had terrible luck if mine needed serviced after 30 days of owning the TV. Thats not exactally what I call quality.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. One more question if i want to hook up my tv to my computer...what would be best....a s-video cable or a hdmi to dvi??

[quote name='Staind204']NO!!!!!! Do not buy that TV!! I originally bought that exact TV back in June, I thought it would be perfect for my bedroom since it is the smallest HD Ready Tube TV they make, boy was I wrong! The TV isn't even made by Toshiba, it is made by a Thailand company called Orion (our friends who make crappy brands like Memorex). The first problem I had with the TV was that the HDMI port does not work correctly. I had a upscale DVD player using the HDMI cable and it would flicker every so often. This wasn't the DVD player because I tried 3 different players on the tv and all 3 did the same thing. The next problem I had was when playing my old game systems (NES, N64, SNES) the tv would automatically cut off the bottom of the screen. There was no way to resize it so most of the older games were unplayable. I emailed Toshiba and they told me the TV already needed service, luckily I worked at Sears at the time so even though it was after the 30 day return policy I was able to return it.
I ended up just going to Best Buy and getting this TV http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=TXR2678WHX%252fXAA

The retail price on the Toshiba is $599.99 and the Samsung one is a much better TV and the retail price is $649.99. I got the Samsung for $584.99 and it was a much better deal since it has the OTA tuner built in. This is nice because I don't plan on buying all the Satellite HD equipment for a while and I am getting free OTA HD/Digital programming. Sorry for the long reply , but I am just warning you DO NOT BUY THAT TV. I have read of quite a few others having problems with it too.[/QUOTE]

I cant seem to find that Samsung tv nowhere online not even on Sears website

It depend what input/output you monitor has. Most/all have vga some newer more expenesive ones have hdmi or dvi check and see what you tv has and then your pc has.

bread's done
Back