Sony Hints At PS3 Release Date

daphatty

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
from Gamasutra.com...

Officials from Sony have issued a statement regarding the release of products that will use the company’s new CELL processor technology.

According to Sony chairman Nonuyuki Idei, "We'll first focus on developing a successor console to the PlayStation 2. But incorporating the CELL chip into TVs will give us greater control in adding functions, so we'll concurrently pursue the development of a new game console and the incorporation of the chip into TVs. It just means that demand for TVs with computer-like functions is starting to emerge, and we are going to meet such demand.”

The statement further indicated that the first CELL based products would be launched by March 2006, which considering Idei's comments would presumably mean the PlayStation 3.

well i mean they are only starting to release products with cell technology then. They would prob want some time for tvs and other electorinics to be on the market first. But really it probably all depends on when the first next generation console comes out. If its earlier, all the other companies will try to release their hardware asap to not lose ground.

I think Microsoft is going to release first. Sony has already stated that they aren't going to engage in a "race to market" war with any other console maker. Plus they seem a bit smug on MS' ability to gain market share since the Xbox is only a success here in the states.

[quote name='daphatty']I think Microsoft is going to release first. Sony has already stated that they aren't going to engage in a "race to market" war with any other console maker. Plus they seem a bit smug on MS' ability to gain market share since the Xbox is only a success here in the states.[/quote]

I don't care how it sells in other countries compared to how it sells here. I'm thinking that if Microsoft does release it's console first, PS2 will have to try and catch up, just what Xbox has been doing since it's release (in sales).

The Dreamcast was out well before the PS2 and it was a rock solid system. It didnt seem to matter though. People will want PS3 as well. I think part of the problem with PS2 was that it was rushed before the Xbox or Cube. Personally I wish they would have waited and added better power to the system.

Sony made too strong of a name in Playstation. It took over stupid parents, now they say "Timmy's playing his Playstation" rather than "Timmy's playing his Nintendo"... sad really...

[quote name='daphatty']from Gamasutra.com...

Officials from Sony have issued a statement regarding the release of products that will use the company’s new CELL processor technology.

According to Sony chairman Nonuyuki Idei, "We'll first focus on developing a successor console to the PlayStation 2. But incorporating the CELL chip into TVs will give us greater control in adding functions, so we'll concurrently pursue the development of a new game console and the incorporation of the chip into TVs. It just means that demand for TVs with computer-like functions is starting to emerge, and we are going to meet such demand.”

The statement further indicated that the first CELL based products would be launched by March 2006, which considering Idei's comments would presumably mean the PlayStation 3.
[/quote]

They talked about this at e3 they are only talking about computers with cell technology not ps3

sony seems like they would be happy releasing ps3 in 2010 anyway with the way they talk about the ps2's 10 year plan.

yea i remmber when it use to be "timmy is playing his nintendo" when he is relaly playing a Playstation, but SOny has taken over I guess

Nintendo fell from the top. And Sony will as well. Maybe next generation maybe the generation after.... someone will knock them off it is only a matter of time.

I say fuck sony...they made dreamcast bomb and theyre hardware isnt even that good...Sega would be ruling right now if they hadnt been drivin out of business by that dammed company...I hate sony...

[quote name='karmapolice620']I say shaq-fu sony...they made dreamcast bomb and theyre hardware isnt even that good...Sega would be ruling right now if they hadnt been drivin out of business by that dammed company...I hate sony...[/quote]

:-({|=

[quote name='karmapolice620']I say shaq-fu sony...they made dreamcast bomb and theyre hardware isnt even that good...Sega would be ruling right now if they hadnt been drivin out of business by that dammed company...I hate sony...[/quote]

Sega was dieing long before the dreamcast remember the saturn. Well i guess that was sony's fault too lol. Either way sega doesn't make good business decisions. Do you remember the advertising for the dreamcast. Its thinking wtf is that. I hated the dc just for that commercial but then bought one when they got cheap. I got one on ebay with an age tech stick for 70 bucks.

I am still very curious on how all next gen consoles will look. I would love to see how ps3, xbox 2, and GC 2 (i dont know what its called) will look like.

bread's done
Back