Rhino 2 for 1 deal

hoofrog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Rhino has a deal where you trade in 2 games that they resell for $24.99 or higher and you get a brand new $49.99 game free. I might be mistaken, but couldn't you just get $50 trade in credit instead or pick a new game and return it unopened for the store credit. Seems like a great way to build up some quick credit. Thoughts?

[quote name='hoofrog']Rhino has a deal where you trade in 2 games that they resell for $24.99 or higher and you get a brand new $49.99 game free. I might be mistaken, but couldn't you just get $50 trade in credit instead or pick a new game and return it unopened for the store credit. Seems like a great way to build up some quick credit. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]
you could but i never have. i have always just got the $50 game i wanted. But, scorch knows a lot more about this than i do...

[quote name='hoofrog']Rhino has a deal where you trade in 2 games that they resell for $24.99 or higher and you get a brand new $49.99 game free. I might be mistaken, but couldn't you just get $50 trade in credit instead or pick a new game and return it unopened for the store credit. Seems like a great way to build up some quick credit. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

lol.. this has been going on for a long, long time, i've helped users here and have been mentioning it on the board since last July. And yes, you could do it for store credit, and yes, i've done it for store credit. it might be immoral, it might be wrong, but they don't care. Yes, you could theoretically get a DS or a PSP for a very, very, very cheap amount of your pocket. I've got several hundred dollars in credit right now. Here's some threads discussing it..

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56801
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53533
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53433

In short, trade in two games that they sell for $24.99 used and up and get one free. There's a prebook list on the counter where you can reserve games that aren't out yet.

[quote name='Scorch']lol.. this has been going on for a long, long time, i've helped users here and have been mentioning it on the board since last July. And yes, you could do it for store credit, and yes, i've done it for store credit. it might be immoral, it might be wrong, but they don't care. Yes, you could theoretically get a DS or a PSP for a very, very, very cheap amount of your pocket. I've got several hundred dollars in credit right now. Here's some threads discussing it..

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56801
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53533
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53433

In short, trade in two games that they sell for $24.99 used and up and get one free. There's a prebook list on the counter where you can reserve games that aren't out yet.[/QUOte]
I find it funny that i started two of those threads. It is just a reflection for me about how much i am posting. I really enjoy the 2-for-1 deal, it is a great way to get a game at release for not that much if you know some cheap games that qualify.

[quote name='hoofrog']Do they have a list in the store or is it just check the shelves?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Scorch']There's a prebook list on the counter where you can reserve games that aren't out yet.[/quote]

^^ You can get any game you want that's in the store or use the prebook list to get a game that's not out yet. If there's a game you want that's not on the prebook yet, put it on something random then switch to when it either comes out or to when it comes on the list. I've got two prebooks on RS: Lockdown, two on Far Cry: Instincts, one on Burnout Revenge, and one on The Warriors, which will be switched to X-Men Legends 2 when it comes out.

There's also usually a week lag on them changing dates.. example.. picked up Punisher used for $9.99 at Hastings, Rhino still had it for $39.99 and was giving over $10 in trade for it, meaning it applied to the 2 for 1. I used it with UC2 and prebooked Lockdown, then went to EB and re-bought UC2 for a few dollars, since it was on sale and I had credit left over.

is this store any good? i noticed they have one in my city when i looked at the web site. never knew it existed prior to seeing this thread.

I find some good deals every now and again. Nothing too consistent though. Not sure how much credit they offer for trade-ins, never tried.

[quote name='Staraang21']is this store any good? i noticed they have one in my city when i looked at the web site. never knew it existed prior to seeing this thread.[/QUOTE]

No, we only talk about it over and over and praise the 2 for 1 and their excellent trade-in value because the store blows goat nuts.

[quote name='Scorch']No, we only talk about it over and over and praise the 2 for 1 and their excellent trade-in value because the store blows goat nuts.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

[quote name='Scorch']No, we only talk about it over and over and praise the 2 for 1 and their excellent trade-in value because the store blows goat nuts.[/QUOTE]

yeah that's hilarious. sorry if i haven't lived on this site day and night for the last several years so that i know about every video game store in existence. maybe one day i too can get the coveted "1K posts" tag and mock others. loser.

[quote name='Staraang21']yeah that's hilarious. sorry if i haven't lived on this site day and night for the last several years so that i know about every video game store in existence. maybe one day i too can get the coveted "1K posts" tag and mock others. loser.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because "being here night and day" makes you more intelligent. Don't try to diss me, you could gather what I wrote by visiting the website. Either that, or you could've used the search feature to see what other people say about Rhino.

Instead of starting a flame war, just visit the store and form your own opinion.

[quote name='Scorch']Yeah, because "being here night and day" makes you more intelligent. Don't try to diss me, you could gather what I wrote by visiting the website. Either that, or you could've used the search feature to see what other people say about Rhino.

Instead of starting a flame war, just visit the store and form your own opinion.[/QUOTE]

obviously it doesn't make you any more intelligent because what i said was it helps you know about every video game store. and you're telling me i'm starting a flame war? who's the one who gave me a sarcastic response? is it so hard for you to be civil? and, thanks, but no need for you to tell me what to do. before i drive 45 mins to go to the store, i'll ask others for their opinion on the store.

Sorry, I meant no offense. I'm just sarcastic a lot of the time and I come off as a jerk. I'll just tell you about it.

Rhino's got games from every generation, though my store just got rid of their Saturn collection because they never sold anything Saturn related. It wasn't being destroyed, just sent to other Rhino stores. Most of their older games aren't complete. My Rhino is a haven for older rare games. I'm not joking when I say that my Rhino has Ogre Tactics (or whatever it's called), Arc the Lad collection, Starcraft 64, Harvest Moon 64, Shining Force (I and II), Mario RPG, Final Fantasy 2, etcetcetc.. just stuff from every generation. They're also the only store that I know of that gives decent credit on older games. I personally traded in 9 N64 games (most were rare) and got about $115 in credit. The only value I can remember is $16 for Harvest Moon 64, which I had picked up for $5 in a GameCrazy sale. I spent $45 on the 9 N64 games and got $115 in credit.

As far as the 2 for 1 deal goes, i've discussed it in the posts above. Yeah, you can credit stack with it, just make sure a different employee is working when you return the game. Credit stacking isn't "illegal" at the store, just frowned upon. For huge price drops, you usually have a week until Rhino drops it.. example, Punisher dropped to $20, my Hastings put a used rental copy at $10, I picked it up for $10, took it to Rhino (where it was still $40) and used it in a 2 for 1, along with a copy of Unreal Championship 2, which was also $40 while EB had dropped it to $20. Sometimes they don't drop games at all.. if I remember correctly, mine still has Phantom Brave for $49.99.

They're decent on rare game prices, too.. everything's under $50. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on XBox sells for $32.99 when they get it in stock, and the same Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition on Gamecube that sells for $50 or so at EB sells for $19.99 used at Rhino. They've also got San Andreas for $19.99. So yeah, the prices are great, the trade-in deals are great.. it's worth checking out, especially if you have a ton of things you want to trade in.

Oh, and all used strategy guides are $1.99. So there's that, too.

[quote name='Scorch']Sorry, I meant no offense. I'm just sarcastic a lot of the time and I come off as a jerk. I'll just tell you about it.

Rhino's got games from every generation, though my store just got rid of their Saturn collection because they never sold anything Saturn related. It wasn't being destroyed, just sent to other Rhino stores. Most of their older games aren't complete. My Rhino is a haven for older rare games. I'm not joking when I say that my Rhino has Ogre Tactics (or whatever it's called), Arc the Lad collection, Starcraft 64, Harvest Moon 64, Shining Force (I and II), Mario RPG, Final Fantasy 2, etcetcetc.. just stuff from every generation. They're also the only store that I know of that gives decent credit on older games. I personally traded in 9 N64 games (most were rare) and got about $115 in credit. The only value I can remember is $16 for Harvest Moon 64, which I had picked up for $5 in a GameCrazy sale. I spent $45 on the 9 N64 games and got $115 in credit.

As far as the 2 for 1 deal goes, i've discussed it in the posts above. Yeah, you can credit stack with it, just make sure a different employee is working when you return the game. Credit stacking isn't "illegal" at the store, just frowned upon. For huge price drops, you usually have a week until Rhino drops it.. example, Punisher dropped to $20, my Hastings put a used rental copy at $10, I picked it up for $10, took it to Rhino (where it was still $40) and used it in a 2 for 1, along with a copy of Unreal Championship 2, which was also $40 while EB had dropped it to $20. Sometimes they don't drop games at all.. if I remember correctly, mine still has Phantom Brave for $49.99.

They're decent on rare game prices, too.. everything's under $50. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on XBox sells for $32.99 when they get it in stock, and the same Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition on Gamecube that sells for $50 or so at EB sells for $19.99 used at Rhino. They've also got San Andreas for $19.99. So yeah, the prices are great, the trade-in deals are great.. it's worth checking out, especially if you have a ton of things you want to trade in.

Oh, and all used strategy guides are $1.99. So there's that, too.[/QUOTE]

beautiful. thanks for the thorough response to my question. sorry if i flew off the handle a little too much. i just got negged by some jerk buyer on ebay this morning (first time in years) for no fault of mine and so i've been a little annoyed.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Why did you bump a topic that is 29 days old and has been over for weeks?![/QUOTE]

Just so he could see you spaz out.

The Rhino near my house is selling open games as new. Didn't EB games get in trouble for this years ago. When the display copy is the last one your choice is to take it as new or start walking. If it wasn't for the fact they have one copy of Disgaea left I wouldn't even care...

[quote name='kjauburn']The Rhino near my house is selling open games as new. Didn't EB games get in trouble for this years ago. When the display copy is the last one your choice is to take it as new or start walking. If it wasn't for the fact they have one copy of Disgaea left I wouldn't even care...[/QUOTE]

Every game store sells open games/display copies as new.

[quote name='Scorch']Every game store sells open games/display copies as new.[/QUOTE]

EB usually will give you 10-15% off. This could be YMMV. If I remember correctly there was a lawsuit against one of the chains Software Etc., Eb, or Babbages years ago. Does anyone remember this?

[quote name='kjauburn']The Rhino near my house is selling open games as new. Didn't EB games get in trouble for this years ago. When the display copy is the last one your choice is to take it as new or start walking. If it wasn't for the fact they have one copy of Disgaea left I wouldn't even care...[/QUOTE]

Like Scorch said, every gamestore does this. It is common practice. Gamestop got in trouble a few years back for passing off USED games as NEW. Selling you the last copy of an opened game is not a big deal.

bread's done
Back