Grand Theft Auto 2
Hidden & Dangerous Deluxe
The Marathon Trilogy
Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
Starsiege: Tribes
Wild Metal Country
The Zork Trilogy

cnet

..95% of those were free to begin with.. America's Army and RTCW: ET were released free adn the GTA games are available through Rockstar..

But holy hell, i'm there for the Zork trilogy!!!! Want some rye?

edit: I think i'm thinking of a different Zork or something

fuck. When I saw "America's Army" the thing that popped into my head was the game where you could be little plastic soldiers.

Hate to tell you this, but all of those games have been freely available for months or years. You can usually get them from the publisher; Rockstar stll has the GTA downloads up, and Infocom still offers their old text adventures for free.

Not quite on-topic, but are there any plans to release more CD keys for Tribes 2?

Nice, I didn't realize I could download the Marathon Trilogy for free. I loved playing those games on my old PowerMac.

[quote name='rallen']I heard Quake 3 is now available for free, also. It went open source a week ago.[/QUOTE]

Well, the Q3A engine is available for download, I'm not sure about the actual game itself (haven't seen or heard one way or another, so its entirely possible).

I'm really not trying to sound like a dick, but how do you calculate 95% of 10 games?

Seems to me that percentages should be in increments of 10...

[quote name='Scorch']..95% of those were free to begin with.. America's Army and RTCW: ET were released free adn the GTA games are available through Rockstar..

edit: I think i'm thinking of a different Zork or something[/QUOTE]

[quote name='rallen']I heard Quake 3 is now or will soon be available for free, also[/QUOTE]

No, the engine has been open-sourced, but the game content (maps, models, textures) is not free. You need the game to play the game, unless you're a thief.

[quote name='Scorch']

edit: I think i'm thinking of a different Zork or something[/QUOTE]

'Course ya are.

[quote name='Sway']Nice find. Tribes was the multiplayer game to play back in the day.[/QUOTE]

Back in the day? It still makes an appearance at my LAN parties. ;)

[quote name='cdneng2']There are more websites:

Liberated Games offers more PC freeware:

and

GameOgre GameOgre offers free and trial MMORPGs.[/QUOTE]

And here's another site for those that like there games on the free, Abandonia

Well sure there are some on there that are the most legitamately free, but this is a great site for games that have become free like liberated games, but also has a slew of extremely well done indie games, especially in the text-adventure/classic adventure game genre. I've played a large number of the ones offered there, so if you want some recommendations, just ask. I'd be happy to oblige.

Also, most of those have been free for PCs for awhile, but it's still great to know. I hadn't known that the Marathon Trilogy had become free either.

Tribes was cool because of the jetpacks. I actually bought that and the mech combat game. I thought the mech game had a lot of potential because of the storyline and stuff, I guess I was wrong.

The Link : http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6464_7-6300449-1.html?tag=cnetfd.sd

Gaming is becoming a more expensive proposition all the time: games with monthly subscriptions, game services with yearly fees, PC graphics cards that cost north of $500, new games that go for $50 a pop. Having already cooked up a list of 20 great titles you could get for a single Andrew Jackson, we decided to up the ante. Presented here are 10 games you can play for free. For one reason or another--often to promote upcoming sequels, for instance, or simply out of karmic generosity--these games have been released as free downloads by their respective publisher, developer, or creator. And each title listed below is a complete game--there's not a demo, an expansion pack, or a browser-based Flash game among them. So what's the catch? Many of these titles are old (some are downright ancient), some lack a single-player component, and others are notoriously buggy--but hey, what did you expect for free?

b.gif

America's Army: Special Forces
The original version of America's Army, released in 2002, was a better-than-average online multiplayer shooter. But what set it apart from the legion of other Counter-Strike clones were its impressive visuals (powered by the Unreal graphics engine) and its price--or lack thereof. Unlike all the other games on this list that began as commercial ventures, America's Army was always intended as a giveaway. That's because it's an unapologetic recruiting tool for the real U.S. Army, which paid for its development. While it's unclear how many people the game has converted into real-life soldiers, the game itself continues to rank among the top 10 online shooters, thanks in part to frequent updates; it's currently up to version 2.4. Just make sure your rig meets the somewhat formidable system requirements before you download the nearly 900MB installation file.
arrow_333.gif
Download complete Windows game (2.4) from CNET Download.com (856MB): Free download
arrow_333.gif
Download complete Mac game (2.3) from CNET Download.com (729MB): Free download
arrow_333.gif
Download complete Linux game (2.3) from 3dgamers.com (745MB): Free download

Alternative worth paying for:
arrow_333.gif
Battlefield 2: Read review | Check prices
arrow_333.gif
Full Spectrum Warrior: Read review | Check prices

b.gif

Battlecruiser 3000 A.D.
Until John Romero's famously disastrous Daikatana bowed to yawns in 2000, Battlecruiser 3000 A.D. was easily the most notorious game of its time. Derek Smart's space combat and strategy sim remained in development for years (three to ten, depending on whom you ask), becoming the original poster child for gaming vaporware. By the time publisher Take Two Interactive shoved it out the door in 1996, GameSpot declared that "it will go down in legend as the most bug-ridden, unstable, unplayable pieces of software ever released" and slapped it with a 2.6 rating. Undaunted, Smart followed up with a flurry of patches and upgrades, which were consolidated into a "version 2.0" in 1998. Three years later, Smart released BC3K as freeware; version 2.09, linked below, is the "final" release. Is it the Ishtar of gaming? Judge for yourself.
arrow_333.gif
Download complete Windows game (137MB) from 3dgamers.com: Free download

arrow_333.gif
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident: Read review | Check prices

b.gif

Grand Theft Auto & Grand Theft Auto 2
When the original Grand Theft Auto first hit the PC in 1998, the game was already courting controversy: its brazenly amoral gameplay actually rewarded the player for wanton criminal conduct. But competing titles such as Carmageddon--a Death Race 2000-inspired car combat racer that awarded points for mowing down as many pedestrians as possible--were an easier lightning rod for critics. By comparison, GTA's cartoonish, top-down 2D point-of-view seemed like little more than an amped-up Hot Wheels. Grand Theft Auto 2 refined the gameplay of the original title the following year, but Rockstar wouldn't perfect the formula until taking the mayhem 3D in 2001 with Grand Theft Auto III. For gamers familiar with only such 21st-century GTA landscapes of Vice City and San Andreas, the company has subsequently released the original two games--reoptimized for current PCs and Windows versions--as free downloads. The price of a taste of GTA history? You'll need to sign up for Rockstar's mailing list before you can pull down the files.
arrow_333.gif
Grand Theft Auto: Read review
Download complete Windows game (336MB) from Rockstar's Web site (registration required): Free download
arrow_333.gif
Grand Theft Auto 2: Read review
Download complete Windows game (353MB) from Rockstar's Web site (registration required): Free download

arrow_333.gif
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas: Read review | Check prices

b.gif

Hidden & Dangerous Deluxe
When Hidden & Dangerous was released in 1999, setting games against the background of World War II was still a fairly fresh phenomenon; Medal of Honor: Allied Assault was still three years away. Czech developer Illusion Softworks crafted an impressive squad-oriented third-person game that focused more on tension-filled stealth missions behind enemy lines than run-and-gun action. Despite a laundry list of bugs, glitches, and stability problems, the game built a core of enthusiastic fans. To promote the release of the 2003 sequel, publisher Gathering of Developers released the original game as a freebie. The Deluxe version incorporates a host of bug fixes, though some system configurations, apparently, still have issues, and the Devil's Bridge expansion pack into one convenient download.
arrow_333.gif
Hidden & Dangerous Deluxe: Read review
Download complete Windows game (270MB) from 3dgamers.com: Free download

arrow_333.gif
SWAT 4: Read review | Check prices

b.gif

The Marathon Trilogy
Marathon was one of the initial wave of first-person shooters that hit in the mid-1990s. Often dismissed--unfairly--as Doom for Mac (Marathon 2 was the only game in the series to be published for the PC), the game's rich storyline and then-impressive graphics cultivated a loyal following that persists to this day. Marathon's developer, Bungie, was scooped up by Microsoft just so the software giant could secure the rights to a promising title called Halo--which Bungie was developing, ironically, for the Mac. Halo, of course, went on to become the raison d'être for owning Microsoft's Xbox console. Is Halo really Marathon 4? Download the original trilogy--which Bungie has since made available for free--and decide for yourself.
arrow_333.gif
Download complete Mac games (69MB total) from bungie.org: Free download
arrow_333.gif
Complete download links and installation instructions for Windows port: Free download

arrow_333.gif
Half-Life 2: Read review | Check prices

b.gif

Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
Enemy Territory began life as an expansion pack for 2001's Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Activision ended up canceling the game, but it released the multiplayer component of the game as a free standalone download in 2003. The result was a game that--two years later--holds its own against such heavyweights as America's Army (above), Call of Duty, and Unreal Tournament 2004 as one of the most played online multiplayer shooters out there. The game's legacy will live on in the form of Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, a multiplayer spin-off of the upcoming Quake 4.
arrow_333.gif
Download complete Windows game (264MB) from CNET Download.com: Free download
arrow_333.gif
Download complete Mac game (271MB) from 3dgamers.com: Free download
arrow_333.gif
Download complete Linux game (271MB) from 3dgamers.com: Free download

arrow_333.gif
Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30: Read review | Check prices

b.gif

Starsiege: Tribes
Sierra's Starsiege series made a successful transition from strategy to action with 1998's Starsiege: Tribes. Released a year before Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament, Tribes' online multiplayer-only gameplay was a revolutionary step forward in the way games were marketed. The inclusion of player-controlled vehicles--years before Halo, Battlefield 1942, and Unreal Tournament 2004--was similarly visionary. The original game was given away free as a promotion for the 2004 release of the updated sequel Tribes Vengeance. It's not as popular as America's Army and Enemy Territory--the once vibrant online community has largely moved on--but those with older PCs will appreciate the easygoing system requirements.
arrow_333.gif
Starsiege: Tribes: Read review
Download complete Windows game (139MB) from Sierra/Vivendi's FTP site: Free download

arrow_333.gif
Unreal Tournament 2004: Read review | Check prices

b.gif

Wild Metal Country
If you've never heard of Rockstar's 1999 tank shooter, you're not alone. It lacks the notoriety of the company's Grand Theft Auto series, and the game's reviews were hardly stellar, with GameSpot awarding the Dreamcast version a mere 3.7. But when you're not paying for it--Rockstar made it gratis in 2004--it's a bit easier to see the Wild Metal glass as half full. Unlike many of the multiplayer-only and graphically intensive games presented here, Wild Metal offers a decent single-player experience, and its Windows 98-era system requirements mean it'll run well on many current laptops and business desktops. But the lack of a hot coffee mod means those looking for some tank-on-tank action will have to point their turrets elsewhere. Like Rockstar's GTA freebies, you'll need to register for their newsletter before downloading this one.
arrow_333.gif
Wild Metal Country: Read review
Download full game (170MB) from Rockstar's Web site (registration required): Free download

arrow_333.gif
Full Auto (Xbox 360): View screenshots

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I never look for games for my Mac. I had no idea that the Marathon games were free or the Wolfenstein pack. I for one am appreciative.

Tribes is the only game that's worth downloading for free. The other ones have been free for a long while now. I recall dl'ing GTA 1 & 2 back in January when I found out Rockstar was giving away their old old pc games.

I just wanted to post so I could see the arcade icon under my username. :D Champion of ONE arcade game, but that's ONE more than most posters. :razz:

Wow Star Control 2 for free also.....thanks to whoever posted the other two freebie sites earlier....Ive been looking for this for awhile now

bread's done
Back