how many multi-console owners are contemplating going solo-console next gen?

pukemon

CAGiversary!
i think i'm going solo next gen. keeping up with 3 systems is hell, especially because of this damned website. i hope nintendo builds some serious hype and backs it up. i also hope they get some serious 3rd party support among many other things.

I'll probably get Sony and Nintendo's next-gen consoles. I have a Gamecube and PS2 now and I enjoy them both and they are the only companies that have more then 2 games for their system that I want to play.

PS3 i'm buying first. Sorry, but just the backlog... so many.. good games...so the second it drops 200, i'm getting that.
Gamecube 2 i'll get next, for around 150-200.
Doubt if i'll get xbox 2.
DO plan to get DS though, and eventually get PSP, once it drops to about 150. I won't go higher then that on a portable system.

I wish I could go solo, but each system is going to have different games that I want to play and own so I will prob buy all three.

i'm getting all 3... either xbox 2 or ps3 first... then the other of the two second.. then the nintendo one last...

really depends on release dates, prices, launch games and other crap..

Ill probably get xbox2 and ps3 at launch like I did this gen and then later on when the n gets a few games and theres a price drop or 2 then I get it.

Sony is gunna have to kiss my ass major before I blow more money on em...I love the PS1...I had a PS2 but I couldnt get attached to it...There were no games that really stuck out to me...Im going with Nintendo..Given Xbox was my first step into this gen. I like where Nintendo is going (trying to give us a different gaming experience and not just better graphics)...I then will purchase "Xbox Next" or whatever they call it...I feel they have a very good online market...I love playing online in a secure and stable atmosphere...Nintendo...then Microsoft...and maybe Sony....thats a big IF on sony

gonna be hard choice...dont want all the systems again but probably will get them anyways..i guess itll be the first one that comes out

u should have an option for none... im opting out of the gamer bizz, and if any of u are looking for a few games check out my huge for sale thread on the trading boards.

[quote name='guyver2077']gonna be hard choice...dont want all the systems again but probably will get them anyways..i guess itll be the first one that comes out[/quote] You a sucker for pretty pics too?

Sony's probably going to have the most powerful machine, but XBox is the only console to support wireless internet, and there is a rumor that PS3 is not going to feature backward compatability, so I don't know. I hope Nintendo hangs it up and just makes software.

[quote name='rebenns']Sony's probably going to have the most powerful machine, but XBox is the only console to support wireless internet, and there is a rumor that PS3 is not going to feature backward compatability, so I don't know. I hope Nintendo hangs it up and just makes software.[/quote]

I love gameboy and ds though

what makes you thing sony will be packing more horses???

Isn't it odd that ibm will have a hand in the processor for all 3 consoles (or maybe 2 nintendo and microsoft both have ibm proccessors and ati graphics)

I think Microsoft will have the most powerfull machine...But I dont think it matters now...there isnt that much of a differance like there was when it was: N64-Gamecube or PS1-PS2...those were amazing differences...now its not that way and thats what nintendos getting at

I'm tempted to go with one console, but if I get a job I'll probably pick up a couple. This depends mostly on whether XB2 will be backwards compatible.

I'll probably buy all three system. I'll probably get N5 at launch and the others after a few price drops and depending on killer apps. But I'll definitely wait for all the "buggy" PS3 models to pass before I but it.

[quote name='karmapolice620']I think Microsoft will have the most powerfull machine...But I dont think it matters now...there isnt that much of a differance like there was when it was: N64-Gamecube or PS1-PS2...those were amazing differences...now its not that way and thats what nintendos getting at[/quote]
Yah you got a good point there. But don't think that nintendo is the only one thinking that. Microsoft created XNA for the purpose of making games that look awesome but without the kind of effort it took to make gt4. Sony knows they can get away with being hard to dev for because they got a huge market share but if that changes they are a speed boat with no gas.
I would bet the new sony stuff is just as hard to develop for because its different. With ati hardware its like working with the same pc hardware but its just faster.

as far as this thread goes, im gunna say if nintendo can pull in the 3rd party games, ill buy their console at launch.

odds are they wont, and ill stick to a ps3 until nintendos console drops a bit

I'll buy all of them except for the Phantom. I don't really want to rent games for that kind of fee. Even if it's all from the confort of my own home.

I own only a PS2, and I will probably continue to own only one system per video game generation. I will wait until all three next gen systems launch to determine which one to buy.

I would guess that I will probably go for the PS3, just because the Metal Gear games will probably stay "exclusive" (I use that term loosely) to Sony. I don't think I'll buy at launch either. The prices are just too high. I'll be patient until a price drop.

After buying both an original Playstation and a PS2 at launch and having them break down because of shoddy workmanship, Im going to stick with Nintendo and then get a PS3 when the price has dropped and there's been at least one or two hardware revisions.

I'm not going to get one at all until a year or two after launch. I got my xbox about 20 months ago and I am very happy with it. The graphics, online play, and the Halo series is what I love. I really won't need another system for a while.

None of the above. I have enough games to last me for the next 4-5 years. I couldn't possibly play them all by the time the new consoles show up. Besides, what are they going to offer: better gameplay? Don't think so. More innovative titles? Don't think so. Better graphics? Yes. Gee, that's 1 out of 3. If Sony's 'Cell' technology were to become reality then I might bite, but I don't think this coming generation is going to be much of an upgrade.

Besides, technological improvements will force a fundamental change in the market in the next few years and consoles will become obsolete after this next generation, excepting handhelds. The set top box and service will be the household staple and I expect MS and Sony to make huge deals with Comcast & AOL TimeWarner if they intend to stay in the game/entertainment market.

I'll just end up getting a new, faster PC in the next 3-4 years with a larger hard drive for a music library and video capture/DVD record. And guess what? It'll play games too!

[quote name='punqsux']as far as this thread goes, im gunna say if nintendo can pull in the 3rd party games, ill buy their console at launch.

odds are they wont, and ill stick to a ps3 until nintendos console drops a bit[/quote]

Same. Nintendo needs more 3rd party games. Yeah, Nintendo makes some great games themselves, but they just don't have the amount of 3rd-party gems Sony has.

[quote name='sketch226']After buying both an original Playstation and a PS2 at launch and having them break down because of shoddy workmanship, Im going to stick with Nintendo and then get a PS3 when the price has dropped and there's been at least one or two hardware revisions.[/quote]

I know. Does anyone else remember when Sony used to have a good reputation when it came to hardware, and I mean outside of video game consoles? Sheesh. In any case, I think I'll wait at least 1 year after the first console release to get anything. The launch titles for all the systems were pretty bad this time around, if I remember. Especially PS2, ironically, I don't remember good games coming out for that until 2 years later. X and N didn't have great opening line ups either.

Seeing as how all these consoles are coming out around the time I'll be a freshmen in college...I may have to go with none on this list as well. High school isn't that hard and i've been breezing through allowing me time for gaming. I think college though will be a lot more difficult, especially in the UC system (which I hope to get in). I may just stick to a handheld for my gaming next year.. most likely the Nintendo DS, (PSP game library isn't taht appealing to me right now).

[quote name='tenzor']I wish I could go solo, but each system is going to have different games that I want to play and own so I will prob buy all three.[/quote]

same here! :D when they've all dropped to a reasonable price, then i'll probably pick up one of each.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage'][quote name='sketch226']After buying both an original Playstation and a PS2 at launch and having them break down because of shoddy workmanship, Im going to stick with Nintendo and then get a PS3 when the price has dropped and there's been at least one or two hardware revisions.[/quote]

I know. Does anyone else remember when Sony used to have a good reputation when it came to hardware, and I mean outside of video game consoles? Sheesh. In any case, I think I'll wait at least 1 year after the first console release to get anything. The launch titles for all the systems were pretty bad this time around, if I remember. Especially PS2, ironically, I don't remember good games coming out for that until 2 years later. X and N didn't have great opening line ups either.[/quote]

PSX and PS2 were the only things that sony takes a loss on. Everything else they profit on.

I may skip next gen completly and just stick with PC. I have enuff unplayed/unbeaten ps1/dc games to keep me going till 2010.

I've always been someone who can't wait and buys the new consoles on launch day. Genesis, N64, Dreamcast and PS2 were all launch day buys for me. Yes, I can admit it- I get seduced by the pretty new graphics. I'm one of the lucky ones with a first day PS2 that's never given me any problems at all.

I don't think I'll push my luck, though. Too many horror stories about launch day PS2s not working. Next go around, I'll wait for a price drop and hardware revision. But it will almost certainly be a PS3 when I finally do join the next generation. I don't believe the rumors about no backward compatibility for a second.

I'll eventually own them all but I'm in no hurry. I've got almost every game system marketed in the US since the late 80's and almost 1500 games. I'm seriously backlogged on actually seeing most of the more recent stuff run long enough just to be sure the media isn't defective.

Most of my consoles were purchase at or near launch but I'll probably wait and see for the next gen. My rack system next to my TV is completely full. I found room for the PS2 because it replaced the original Playstation. So barring any other rationale the first next gen machine I'll get will be decided by backward compatibility so I won't be forced to take an existing system out of service.

I'm going to wait until Halo 3 ships for Xbox, by then any first generation Xbox 2 problems will have shown up and the time in between will give me a break to finish all of my brand new cheapass Xbox games that I will have backlogged by then!

[quote name='rywateska']I'm going to wait until Halo 3 ships for Xbox, by then any first generation Xbox 2 problems will have shown up and the time in between will give me a break to finish all of my brand new cheapass Xbox games that I will have backlogged by then![/quote]

Halo 3 is a sure bet for xbox 2 launch what are you thinking.

No it's not. Bungie is even saying that it woudln't be ready in time for the supposed ship date in 2005/2006. It has taken 3+ years to make Halo 2, add that on the new system and bam, you get 2007. I've read that multiple times over at the halo.bungie.org forums. Maybe they can pull off a miracle, but I doubt by far Halo 3 will be launched the same day as Xbox 2.

ps3 will undoubtably have some crap i want to play
nintendo revolution will also have all the nintendo stuff i have come to know and love
xboxnext i have no ideas about, and i'm not particularly hopeful - all that kept me with xbox was Halo's and Sega games, and Sega hasn't produced anything good in a while...

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I heard they were only making 2 Halo games. then again if it makes money there is bound to be a sequel (looks at CAPCOM)[/quote]

Bungie has said in the past that they plan on releasing 7 Halo games. If you look on halo.bungie.org, it'll be hard to dig up, but the names are there somewhere.

ive never bought a new console at launch...ive always waited til the 2nd year to get one so enough games that appeal to me are available....but ill end up getting all 3 again as soon as enough games hit for each system....im sure ill be getting sonys first though....im also sure that ill buy games for each system before i even have any of the new systems...due to not being able to pass up good deals as they come

I pretty much always get a system for christmas or at launch everytime one is released since the SNES.

N64 I got for christmas, DC i got at launch, GCN a week after launch (took me that long to freaking find one) and a GBA with christmas money.

I got an Xbox after the E3 2002 price drop and recently got rid of it for a PS2.

Will purchase Nintendo system at launch and the more appealing other after a year or so

[quote name='rywateska'][quote name='CaseyRyback']I heard they were only making 2 Halo games. then again if it makes money there is bound to be a sequel (looks at CAPCOM)[/quote]

Bungie has said in the past that they plan on releasing 7 Halo games. If you look on halo.bungie.org, it'll be hard to dig up, but the names are there somewhere.[/quote]

like when eidos claimed that tomb raider: the last revolation was the final tomb raider game, but then a year lated, we got tomb raider chronicles, and a few years after that, angel of darkness.

like how sega said they're making a TON of shenmue games? after the failure of 2, i dont see this happening.

it all depends on sales. they can plan 7, but they'll make 8 if theres money in it

I'm searching for it now. Sooner or later I'm going to find the thread for it. I'll post it up when I do, even if it takes me till Halo 4...
*edit*
"Screw you guys, I'm going home"

I will buy the next Nintendo system first. Nintendo makes my favorite games so I will support thier system first. I will pick up a PS3 or XBOX2 depending on the lineups. I will have lots of money at that point so I will probably just get all three.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='rywateska'][quote name='CaseyRyback']I heard they were only making 2 Halo games. then again if it makes money there is bound to be a sequel (looks at CAPCOM)[/quote]

Bungie has said in the past that they plan on releasing 7 Halo games. If you look on halo.bungie.org, it'll be hard to dig up, but the names are there somewhere.[/quote]

like when eidos claimed that tomb raider: the last revolation was the final tomb raider game, but then a year lated, we got tomb raider chronicles, and a few years after that, angel of darkness.

like how sega said they're making a TON of shenmue games? after the failure of 2, i dont see this happening.

it all depends on sales. they can plan 7, but they'll make 8 if theres money in it[/quote]

Well did everyone forget final fantasy. It was a last ditch effort and took all there resources and they were planning on selling it then going bankrupt. But then it sold so they made Final Fantasy 2. How could there be a sequal to a Final Fantasy ha.

[quote name='goldengraham']Seeing as how all these consoles are coming out around the time I'll be a freshmen in college...I may have to go with none on this list as well. High school isn't that hard and i've been breezing through allowing me time for gaming. I think college though will be a lot more difficult, especially in the UC system (which I hope to get in). I may just stick to a handheld for my gaming next year.. most likely the Nintendo DS, (PSP game library isn't taht appealing to me right now).[/quote]

Haha, maybe, I go to UC Santa Cruz and it is EXTREMELY easy if you know what you're doing. I have way more free time now then I ever did in high school, I'm about to graduate though so I guess the party's over. Which school are you trying to get into?

im going to stick to NIntendo or Ps3.

The new xbox is starting to sound like a pc to me. that sort of detracts from it.

bread's done
Back