Mr. Rhee

CAGiversary!
@ GAMESTOP stores

Pelican Universal System Selector PRO reg. $100 now $80 @ GS B&M

look here for info but do not order. The $20 price drop is only in-store
as of today.
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=801668

$100 online - $80 in store

I bought it yesterday and even if it gets cheaper I needed it. I was daisy chaining several smaller selectors together and the picture quality was suffering and this had more than enough ports including ethernet.

This is amazing. check it out for yourself at a store, look at the picture on the back of the box to see what's inside:
---

here's a description:

Pelican's pro system selector is the ultimate control device for your entertainment system. Start with 7 rear inputs for AV, S Video, Component Video, Digital Optical and Ethernet, as well as two full function outputs. In addition, there is another full offering of inputs hidden behind a quick access from panel. All this comes together in a beautiful metal case with lighted interchangeable name plates for all your consoles and Audio and Video equipment.

I went to a few GS yesterday, and no one working there has seen the silver one, only the black one. but for what I'm saving, I can always paint it myself.

[quote name='online']Available in black or silver. Orders shipped randomly.[/quote]

This is a serious WTF! :roll:

I mean how hard is it to assign a different item number to the colors so that people could order whichever they prefer?

Anyone own one of these yet? Or put any real time on it? I've been thinking about picking one up, but I've got only 1 S-video & 1 Component input on my TV, I'm undecided as to whether I want to have my dvd player running thru one of these devices or not. :? It's currently going directly to the tv, via component, and I have a 3-way spliter on S-Video (which cycles these: Atari 5200, AES, MVS, PS2, DC) Plus I have my poor Gamecube via composite as well as my Laserdisc player & Turbo DUO, AND X-box! I'd like to go Component on X-box, PS2, & Cube, plus be able to keep everything hooked up at once, currently have to swap a couple between the console I want to play. But to go component, I'll have to run the dvd player thru this device as well, and I'm wondering if that will create any noticeable side effects.

Any good reviews online? :?:

video_game_addict, you sure live up to your name.

:D

I think you need two of these.

What I'm going to do is set up my systems tonight and if the selector sucks, I have the option of taking it right back for my refund. It's great buying "tester" items OFFline.

good luck.

It's a great piece of equipment for a great price when you look at what all you get. I've had mine for about 3 or 4 months now and I've had no problems. There is no noticeable degradation of any signals on my Panasonic 36" HDTV. I've discussed this product with many people before and I've never heard of anyone having any problems with it.

As far as trying to find a silver one, I don't think I've ever seen a silver one at GameStop. I have seen the silver one at Best Buy though, but it was sold under the other name. I can't think of what the other company name is right now though.

Electro Source.

But it's still $100 @ BB, if you have to get the silver one and if you can find it, you can use the GGC for -$5 and maybe the -$10 off coupon (may be stackable) and get it for less than $100.

but hopefully GS drops it to $50 soon and I'll buy a spare or 2 for daisy chaining. but I really needed mine asap. so I had to have it for $80.

While I was frothing at the mouth over this item, $100 is a bit much for a Pelican Acc. product. I've had issues with some of their other products (mainly quality related) so I think I will wait for the price to come down even further.

If it dropped to $50, I'd buy at least 2 more of them for future use. And I've had problems with Pelican accessories before too, but this is a top notch product. If you don't feel safe buying the Pelican one, buy the Electrosource one (thanks for the reminder). I think they are actually the same company though. :D

yes, same company. but Pelican really went all out with the quality of this product. It is amazing once you have everything plugged in.

[quote name='Mr. Rhee']yes, same company. but Pelican really went all out with the quality of this product. It is amazing once you have everything plugged in.[/quote]

Well that would certainly be a welcome about face for Pelican.

Don't any of you guys own a receiver? It may be more expensive, but at least you get better sound quality and a remote too.

-Morpheus

[quote name='Morpheus']Don't any of you guys own a receiver? It may be more expensive, but at least you get better sound quality and a remote too.

-Morpheus[/quote]

I don't own a receiver with enough inputs for all of my game systems, if that is what you mean.

Yes, I own a receiver, but I'm not fortunate enough to own one with 8 component inputs and 3 ethernet inputs. In fact, my receiver only has one optical digital input, so this switch with 3 is a Godsend. And not having a remote is not that big of a deal either because I have to go up by the TV to turn on whatever console I want to play anyway. To get the number of inputs that this system selector has on a receiver you would have to spend an obnoxious amount of money for no noticeable difference in sound or picture quality. I've actually never even seen a receiver with as many inputs as this thing has.

I have one - unopened. I'm waiting for the TV guy to come to install my TV before I hook it up. I paid $100 for it though... maybe I can get a refund...

I have the silver one. I got it from BestBuy.com a few weeks ago for about $72 by using a coupon. It's really light, but well made. It has all of the components you would likely need, the light up nameplates are cool, and there doesn't seem to be any image quality loss while using it. I would recommend it for sure.

Gamestop B&M does have Silver ones. I found several today. Ask the employees to check in the back. Obviously the boxart is silver so easy to identify. Use GS.com's zip code locator, call the stores and have them hold one for you. I broke down and bought two silvers tonight to hookup all my gear. I don't even know if I have enough electricity for everything.

;)

Gurileck, I did exactly that. I daisy-chained 3+ together for all my gear and sooner or later you may notice a loss of image quality.

Do those "$10 things" have component input/outputs? If so then go for it I guess. I bought this because I don't want unnecessary clutter and it looks stylish...

Yeah, you're going to lose a lot of quality through daisy chaining and you really won't end up saving that much money. Daisy chaining requires more cables than just having one large switch, and when you are talking about quality component cables, then you are going to spend at least $20 bucks. So let's look at the cost comparison.

Pelican System Selector $80 (8 component/s-video/composite inputs, 3 digital audio inputs, 3 ethernet inputs) Plus it comes with a set of component cables.

$10 component switches (I'm guessing they have 3 to 4 inputs each)...You would then need at least three of these to have the same number of video inputs after daisy chaining. So total of $30 for the cheap switches.

$20 component cables (you would need two extra cables to daisy chain). So add a total of $40 for the component cables.

So we are already up to $70 just for connecting the same amount of component inputs and we have a cables and switches everywhere. This is without having hooked up any of our digital audio inputs yet. And then there is also a hub that would be needed for the ethernet connections. When you start doing the math, it really makes sense to just go ahead and buy the Pelican System Selector. You'll be much happier with the quality and being a cheapass, you will have also saved some money.

[quote name='defender']I will be getting these in stock soon...I will let you all know my price when I know. I hope to beat $80 online.[/quote]

Lower! Lower! -- imitating infomercial audience.

shipwreck, well said. I hated all the wires and extra selectors that were stacked side by side. Pelican found a perfect solution, but I guess they may not have marketed it correctly, because it is well worth $100+. Great to see a price drop, but sad because they may steer away from developing other innovative products in the future.

I think their reputation for poor quality is what is hurting this product. Maybe they should have kept it under the Electrosource brand...

It offers less connections/options for less money. I needed more options for more money, including ethernet connections.

I've got one of these. Currently i'm only using it for my DVD player and HD cable box; although I just bought component cables for my PS2, I might hook it up to that for the few progressive-scan games offered.
I bought it long before the MadCatz one came out, and now i'm past my return period. It does what it's supposed to do, it's got a lot of inputs, and it came with a component cable to go from the box to the TV, which is worth 10-30 bucks in itself.

I also own the Pelican System Selector Pro in black. I have my DVD player, Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube all run through it in component video. The DVD, Xbox, and PS2 all have optical digital audio, and the GC, PS2, and Xbox all have ethernet.

This one device handles all the switching and looks stylish to boot. I have not had a single problem with sound or image quality. I have not found the lack of remote to be a problem since it defaults to DVD upon powerup and I would have to get up to use one of the game systems anyway. Well worth the $$ and much less than other options that do all the same things. The Mad Catz selector only switches video and analog audio for four devices, and it's ugly to boot. Mad Catz has just as much of a poor quality reputation as Pelican too, so that's no benefit either. I'm not knocking the Mad Catz product, but it's just not in the same league as the SSPro.

can someone comment on the two video outputs.
does this mean you can connect two tvs to the pelican and be able to for example, play your ps2 on one tv while watching a dvd on the other? how does this feature work?

can someone comment on the two video outputs.

Well, I'm not sure what you're referring to. The SSPro features many inputs but only one output as far as I know. The output features composite, component, and S-video but you can only select one source at a time, and it does not magically convert S-video to component or vice-versa. All s-video ins will use the s-video out, all component ins will use the component out, etc.[/code]

I purchased this the first day it came out. I work at GS and saw the demo of it at our manager's conference. It is really awesome. Sucks that I paid the full price, but its cool. I can't tell you how awesome this thing is. For anyone looking for the silver, just call the stores. Most have both colors in stock. Most in my area do. :D

I have these on the way now...looks like I will be able to do about $74.99...maybe a dollar or two less...I will have to see.

Happened to get another one of these (Silver) for $40. If anyone wants it, PM me and we can work something out.

Looking for cost+shipping+little something for the effort. Trading is also open if you have something good that I need.

[quote name='Johnny Postman']Happened to get another one of these (Silver) for $40. If anyone wants it, PM me and we can work something out.

Looking for cost+shipping+little something for the effort. Trading is also open if you have something good that I need.[/quote]

hey! where did you pick yours up for 40? i'm from the chicago area also and i picked up a silver one for 40, i thought no one else had any luck but i'm glad you got in on it!

(Orlando, FL area)

I was in the Waterford area and went in to browse. Of course the employee asks if he could help me, so I ask about the selector, not seeing any sitting out on shelves/floor/etc. I told him about this "deal" and he made a bit of a mission to find what it was under in the computer, and not having any in stock, called another store to inquire (even without my asking). They had one left in the Fashion Square Mall location and he told them to put it on hold for me (also without my asking). Since he'd already done all this and it would've been a great deal, I gave him my name and he added to the person on the other side of the line to remember that it was 50% off. Since it was already 8pm, I asked them to save it until the next day.

Fortune of fortune, when I go to pick it up, the District Manager is right there and when the clerk gets the selector from behind the counter with a note taped to it with my name and reminder to take 50% off, the DM asks who told me it was half off and tells me it's $80 if I still want it.

D'oh.

bread's done
Back