Ebgames to me, Cancelling preorder is fraud!!

Archgarth

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
This ties into the "Nascar 2006 for four pre-owned games" deal that they have had going.

I go into the store today to cancel my preorder, and put the credit towards another game.

The clerk, who originally took my pre-owned games before, tells me that they can no longer cancell pre-orders, and that the company considered it fraud for customers to do so. The clerk also said that there had been an entire company-wide notice about such a practice.

I know there are a lot of people on this board that have no problem with taking advantage of pre-order deals of this nature, but what makes me wonder is what if you pay a pre-order with cash, find out the game is crap, and decide to get another game? Even if you pick up a copy of Nascar using this deal, do you not still have a right to return it, as long as it is sealed with receipt?

As for me, I'll probably pick up my copy on Tuesday, see how the reviews are, and then decide to return it or not.

Any thoughts?

EB can't deny you the cancellation of your preorder. You probably preordered the game under their "original" policy so you could easily argue this. I wouldn't have left the store until I was talking to a manager of the corporate office. It's fraud to keep your money for your preorder. WTF...EB is gay.

Wrong place to post this. Yes we know eb is gay blah blah. However I really don't think they can do that. I think it's a employee who saw that people were doing this and it was his right to defend his company or at least that is what I am thinking.

Talk to the manager, and if that doesnt work go above him. Everyone works for someone else so talk to the person ahead of everyone else and you will get somewhere.

[quote name='tayaf69']EB can't deny you the cancellation of your preorder. You probably preordered the game under their "original" policy so you could easily argue this. I wouldn't have left the store until I was talking to a manager of the corporate office. It's fraud to keep your money for your preorder. WTF...EB is gay.[/QUOTE]

Although I didn't put money down, I took advantage of a pre-order deal wherein I traded games and got credit for them.

However, does this new pre-order policy translate to games that you pre-order with cash? What if I do cash & games. What if it's just games?

Personally, I take offense at this being called fraud. I certainly know I'm taking advantage of a very good deal, but neither I, nor anyone else who took advantage of this deal, has done anything remotely illegal or fradulent. We are simply taking advantage of the policy they have set down, and I get the feeling that they are quite cranky about it.

Sorry, not fraud. You traded in 4 games to get Nascar for free. Why do you feel you should be able to cancel and receive store credit for the amount of Nascar? The only reason you got so much store credit ($50 is the price of Nascar) was because of the promotion. Otherwise you would have gotten less then $10. Now, you aremore then welcome to pick up Nascar and trade it back in as a used game for credit, but just because they are not allowing you to switch to another game is NOT fraud.

Oh, WRONG FORUM

If you pre-ordered with cash, yes they will refund you when you want. If you pre-ordered with store credit, and it was NOT due to a promtoion, they will refund you on a gift card

[quote name='Graystone']Wrong place to post this. Yes we know eb is gay blah blah. However I really don't think they can do that. I think it's a employee who saw that people were doing this and it was his right to defend his company or at least that is what I am thinking.[/QUOTE]

You are probably right, and it does belong in Deal Discussion, but I felt it would be better in here due to the impact this could have on pre-order deals that are posted in this section.

Mods, please move it if you think otherwise.

[quote name='gizmogc']Sorry, not fraud. You traded in 4 games to get Nascar for free. Why do you feel you should be able to cancel and receive store credit for the amount of Nascar? The only reason you got so much store credit ($50 is the price of Nascar) was because of the promotion. Otherwise you would have gotten less then $10. Now, you aremore then welcome to pick up Nascar and trade it back in as a used game for credit, but just because they are not allowing you to switch to another game is NOT fraud.

Oh, WRONG FORUM[/QUOTE]

I'm not claiming that they are in any way defrauding me. I'm just wondering as to where this "policy" begins and ends. Several of us have traded in games at promotional values for games, just this year I did it for Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, and I moved the credit over to Doom 3.

However, I feel that claiming that customers are commiting "fraud" is hardly accurate when they are simply taking advantage of a deal, but are doing it outside of the paramaters that Ebgames originally intended.

[quote name='gizmogc']If you pre-ordered with cash, yes they will refund you when you want. If you pre-ordered with store credit, and it was NOT due to a promtoion, they will refund you on a gift card[/QUOTE]

So, in the case of the Zelda: Twilight Princess pre-order, if I trade in three games, and get $10 in credit for each, and pay the rest ($20) with cash, will Ebgames not transfer over the $30 trade-in credit to another game if I so desire?

Not to mention, how many times have we wanted a game, pre-ordered it, only to learn through reviews that is was crap?

[quote name='Archgarth']You are probably right, and it does belong in Deal Discussion, but I felt it would be better in here due to the impact this could have on pre-order deals that are posted in this section.

Mods, please move it if you think otherwise.[/QUOTE]Think otherwise? How much fucking clearer can it be? It says right on the forum description:
Video Game Deals (109 Viewing)
The best video game deals in the world are here. Only registered CAGs may enter.
ONLY CREATE THREADS IF YOU ARE POSTING SPECIFIC DEALS!
Don't "feel" or "think" - just follow the damn directions.

Well, I personally think EB Games should not allow people to cancel a preorder, if it has to do with trading games in on a promotion, such as Nascar, Madden, etc. Basically, EB is allowing you to trade in crap games to get Nascar. Now, if your only preordering to cancel it later, to get something else, just to screw EB off, you shouldn't be allowed to cancel. It just really ticks me off how many people will try to take advantage of EB, because of the GT4 promo, and then try to return the game. I made the trades because I really wanted the game, not make money. Something very bad will happen to those people who feel the need to do that, one day.

Just because you have in the past, or others has, does not make it 'policy'. Its, as always, YMMV, or Employee May Vary. Just remember, when a deal is abused, it may never come back (See Game Rush).

I think the preorder should be able to be canceled on a promotion if it gets dellayed indefinitely like Legend of Zelda: TP. I would be pissed if I had traded games in for that.

[quote name='MaskedPlague']I think the preorder should be able to be canceled on a promotion if it gets dellayed indefinitely like Legend of Zelda: TP. I would be pissed if I had traded games in for that.[/QUOTE]

Zelda was delayed maybe 6 months, its not a 'Dule Nuken Forever' delay. I beleive the promotion (and any promotion like this) states certain things (Can not be canceled and used for credit, cannot be moved etc). Anyone know?

i never preorder anymore... use to do it when i was stupid and in college..then i realized whats the point?? I am going to get the game anyways, and if they are sold out the first day, so what , wait a few more days for reshipments. Funny thing I would usually find it CHEAPER somewhere else the week it comes out anyways. Eb tried to get me to preorder the 2005 E3 dvd and I was like heck no..ill get it when it comes in...and what happened? they NEVER GOT A SHIPMENT weeks later. So there is no need to waste 5 bucks...i ment if they gave 10% off then its something but if not bah.

I would have been mad about it too if i was EB. The promotion was for Nascar, you get nascar. If its possible, i would try to have them look up what games you traded in so you can hear....ok your total is 41.50 after tax on that other new $50 game.

Ugh, lets not start the whole 'don't pre-order its ghey' thread again. Pre-ordering guarantees you a copy the day it comes out (or should) and you get any bonus items with it (or you should). Ok, done.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Think otherwise? How much fucking clearer can it be? It says right on the forum description:Don't "feel" or "think" - just follow the damn directions.[/QUOTE]

Whoa there, calm down, breathe, I PM'd a moderator after the 1st poster pointed it out to me.

Yeah they probably had a ton of people just do that for the credit. If I was running a company I would stop people from doing that too. Think about it NASCAR games are gonna sell like crap if people don't take them with the deals.

I think they should keep track of the non-adjusted prices they paid for your games and if you decide to switch preorders or get plain store credit they should give you the non-adjusted price back. But since I guess they don't do that and you're locked in to getting the game I would just sell the crap to somebody on CAG for $35 or whatever you can get for it.

Up to $50 trade-in credit toward NASCAR 2006 pre-purchase Active: Now - 8/31/2005
Trade-in 1 to 4 select pre-played PS2/XB/GC games and receive $12.50 trade-in credit each towards the pre-purchase of NASCAR 2006 TOTAL TEAM CON PS2 or NASCAR 2006 TOTAL TEAM CON XB. Game Boxes and Instructions are required. Some titles are excluded from trade. May not be combined with any other offer or discount. Typographical errors are not the responsibility of EB Games. Some exclusions may apply. See sales associate for complete details. Offer valid on pre-purchase only.

[quote name='gizmogc']Zelda was delayed maybe 6 months, its not a 'Dule Nuken Forever' delay. I beleive the promotion (and any promotion like this) states certain things (Can not be canceled and used for credit, cannot be moved etc). Anyone know?[/QUOTE]

yeah, I can't wait to get my hands on "Dule Nuken Forever".

And.. I don't usually say I told you so, but..

"IN YOUR FING FACE, "

(that was a quote from Family Guy, btw)

I'm glad they're cracking down on this. You trade in towards Nascar, you get Nascar, no more shady business.

But then on the same token, you're crazy for trying to cancel it when the same employee was working.

[quote name='Scorch']yeah, I can't wait to get my hands on "Dule Nuken Forever".

And.. I don't usually say I told you so, but..

"IN YOUR FING FACE, "

(that was a quote from Family Guy, btw)

I'm glad they're cracking down on this. You trade in towards Nascar, you get Nascar, no more shady business.

But then on the same token, you're crazy for trying to cancel it when the same employee was working.[/QUOTE]

Duke Nuken will come out soon...

And yes, Im glad they are denying this as the promotion is not 'Trade in 4 games and get any $50 new game for free'

I agree. If there was a deal giving you more credit towards a future game and then you cancel it; whether you were planning on it all along, got a better deal,etc , you shouldn't get the same credit back for something else. Granted it might be an honest decision, but the offer was for a specific pre ordered game. I don't know if they do put this in writing, but you can't blame them for protecting themselves regardless of how much money they make.

I agree you shouldn't be allowed to get the full $50 or whatever if you do a pre-order deal a la NASCAR. I just hope this doesn't spread to when I preorder things with actual money. If I decide to change my mind, even if I've been given a pre-order item, I should have the ability to.

[quote name='Logain8955']I agree you shouldn't be allowed to get the full $50 or whatever if you do a pre-order deal a la NASCAR. I just hope this doesn't spread to when I preorder things with actual money. If I decide to change my mind, even if I've been given a pre-order item, I should have the ability to.[/QUOTE]

It never will with cash.

What if I did the preorder deal with Zelda and then Zelda is moved to the EV, a system I will not own?

Beat them at their own game.

yea yea

kid:when is duke Nookum 4 coming out?
EB Guy: When its done!

5 years later
college drop out: When is Dune Pupan 4 coming out.
Same EB guy only fatter: oh you should have put 5 dollars pre order on it cause it sold out fast within the first week 4 years 3 weeks ago. Now they don't make anymore so your SOL. BTW wanna put 5 dollars down on the next Nintendo system?

[quote name='gizmogc']Duke Nuken will come out soon...

And yes, Im glad they are denying this as the promotion is not 'Trade in 4 games and get any $50 new game for free'[/QUOTE]

Nice, give it to 'em EB.:D

I'm sorry but doing these trade in deals and then switching to a different game is total BS for EB. If you think you should be allowed to switch your preorder to a different game, then I say EB can give proper credit towards that game in regular credit value (which would probably be $10), not the promotional credit value.

[quote name='David85']What if I did the preorder deal with Zelda and then Zelda is moved to the EV, a system I will not own?

Beat them at their own game.[/QUOTE]
That's not going to happen.

Problem solved.

[quote name='tayaf69']EB can't deny you the cancellation of your preorder. You probably preordered the game under their "original" policy so you could easily argue this. I wouldn't have left the store until I was talking to a manager of the corporate office. It's fraud to keep your money for your preorder. WTF...EB is gay.[/QUOTE]
If you cancel the preorder, they don't owe you anything but what you put down to get it.

Switching the credit to another game, though? There's nothing that would require EB to do that. Nothing at all.

You participate in their promotion, you play by their rules.

Just talked to a local EB manager and he's said that not only has he neevr heard of this policy, such a policy just can't exist, not without EBs getting into some sort of trouble, so I call BS on this. It's just one of those asshole employies who feel like they themselves own EBgames and must do anything to ensure it's saftely. Or just the loser employie who attempts to abuse their power (two of which posted in this very thread - you know who you are). Because outside acting like a douche at work, they've got nothing to really live for.

[quote name='Archgarth']However, I feel that claiming that customers are commiting "fraud" is hardly accurate when they are simply taking advantage of a deal, but are doing it outside of the paramaters that Ebgames originally intended.[/QUOTE]

Incidentally...

[quote name='Skexis']Incidentally...[/QUOTE]
zing.jpg

im glad they are cracking down on this. I mean name another company that you can go in and do this. if you ask me eb should take this one more step in putting a BIG sticker on the game when you pick it up.

PROMO TRADE IN-- EXCHANGE FOR SAME GAME ONLY

i think would of killed people from doing this So called Flipping right off the back. Stick on of those nasty stickers what if you try to remove it, it will rip the plastic and since the plastic is opened you cant return it.

Its trade in 4 Games get nascar 2006 free, NOT trade in 4 games and Rip us off buy returning nascar and getting another game that was never part of the deal.

Am I the ONLY person who used this deal to preorder NASCAR and fully intends to get NASCAR?

Edit- In fact, EVERY time I've used one of these preorder deals, I've actually picked up the game that I preordered.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Am I the ONLY person who used this deal to preorder NASCAR and fully intends to get NASCAR?[/QUOTE]

probally, the rest of them will just rip off eb. I would of did it but i couldnt find 4 games to trade in that i was willing to part with...

[quote name='slidecage']probally, the rest of them will just rip off eb. I would of did it but i couldnt find 4 games to trade in that i was willing to part with...[/QUOTE]

You know, at first I wanted to side with the OP but you know what? Screw that, I like getting this trade in deals and if people keep abusing it then we'll never see it again. I'm actually surprised that they did one after that whole debacle with the preorder deal on the PSP games.

[quote name='slidecage']im glad they are cracking down on this. I mean name another company that you can go in and do this. if you ask me eb should take this one more step in putting a BIG sticker on the game when you pick it up.

PROMO TRADE IN-- EXCHANGE FOR SAME GAME ONLY

i think would of killed people from doing this So called Flipping right off the back. Stick on of those nasty stickers what if you try to remove it, it will rip the plastic and since the plastic is opened you cant return it.

Its trade in 4 Games get nascar 2006 free, NOT trade in 4 games and Rip us off buy returning nascar and getting another game that was never part of the deal.[/QUOTE]

Whoa!!! Hypocrite alert! Now we just need to have cag1000 jump on the bandwagon in here and throw out some criticism at the OP. Then we would be living in a perfectly ironic little thread...

[quote name='tayaf69']EB is gay.[/QUOTE]

Yes, we all know heterosexuals let you cancel pre-orders and homosexuals don't. That's why the bible wants us to kill them.

You could always sell it on EBAY or take it outside, take the wrapping off, and go back inside to get $30 in trade immediately towards anything. $30 in trade for 4 games is still okay compared to the to getting $2-$5 for those older titles.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']You know, at first I wanted to side with the OP but you know what? Screw that, I like getting this trade in deals and if people keep abusing it then we'll never see it again. I'm actually surprised that they did one after that whole debacle with the preorder deal on the PSP games.[/QUOTE]

I knew that there was some fuss over the PSP games deal at launch, but I didn't even pay attention to it. These things are not for me. But if you are going to switch credit, at least do a trade in deal on something that will disappear to the lady in line behind you instead of NASCAR, which will just mold on the shelf. I see nothing wrong with doing this with Nintendogs or Zelda:TTP or a 360 or something. Okay. That is all I am going to say.

I didn't realize a pre-order is a binding contract. I also fail to how this hurts EB-- does it really matter which game you get with your scammed credit? And how much are they going to pay a customer for their copy of Nascar in about 6 months? $0.75?
Are you guys saying that it's wrong for the consumer to mimic the unfair capitalistic system by turning the tables on them? WELL? ARE YA? :lol:

They purchase Nascar at a cheaper price due to the promotion (buying more copies, promoting a game etc). So when you switch to store credit or another game they are actually losing money, and stuch with extra copies of games that may never sell.

If they cared, they would've implemented a system where the promotion credit gets rolled back, as this loophole has been open for years. But I guess they are making too much money buying back games for $2 and reselling them for $30, not unlike your average Ebay rat(or hoarders, as they are called.)

anyway, telling customers that they are committing fraud because they've changed their mind about which game they want would be a pretty shitty patch job and I'm pretty sure that labelling people as fraudulent with no proof is illegal in its self. this employee was just giving the OP the run around.

bread's done
Back