Which Resident Evil game is the hardest out of the series?

There pretty much all the same difficulty, but I'd playing as chris in Resident Evil 1 (original) was a big pain in the ass.

REmake.
You can't kill the zombies unless you carry around oil and a lighter to burn their bodies. If you take one down, but don't burn it, it comes back as a super zombie. That makes it the hardest by a long shot.

definitely not RE4...that game was pretty easy.

[quote name='Tromack']REmake.
You can't kill the zombies unless you carry around oil and a lighter to burn their bodies. If you take one down, but don't burn it, it comes back as a super zombie. That makes it the hardest by a long shot.[/QUOTE]

ahhh, that explains it. just started playing this yesterday and was wondering why the zombies were so ridiculous.

[quote name='Apossum']definitely not RE4...that game was pretty easy.

ahhh, that explains it. just started playing this yesterday and was wondering why the zombies were so ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

On Professional mode it's much more difficult, and I also think that's the way it should have been by default.

By far REmake IMO, mainly for the reason tromack mentioned but also because the mansion was bigger (new outside areas), enemies were smarter and more numerous, and some of the puzzles seemed more difficult (to me at least). Though at times it had some things to make it a little easier, like the defenseive weapons and moves.

remake, the first time i killed a zombie and went back to the same area it came sprinting at me and i thought what the hell didn't i just kill you?

[quote name='Tromack']REmake.
You can't kill the zombies unless you carry around oil and a lighter to burn their bodies. If you take one down, but don't burn it, it comes back as a super zombie. That makes it the hardest by a long shot.[/QUOTE]

oooo Crimsons... hehehe. I have yet to find a movie that scares me. But RE on the GCN was great. It is the only one that I have fully played, so it has to be the toughest for me too.:lol:

(I need to sit down and play my copies of RE0 and RE4 - but not my sealed SE version.:cool: )

The crimsons were a pain in the ass, since they didn't stay in one area they kept following you. but to me Remake was a lot easier for me than the original, which I expected it to be since I played the original to death back when it first released.

Code Veronica is pretty difficult. I would say about as hard as the RE remake.

2 and 3 were really easy, and straightforward. 0 was a little harder, but not too hard.

4 is the easiest in the series, and shortest.

Code Veronica is an absolute pain in the butt.

It's the only RE game I quit out of frustration. I was on the second disc and one of the puzzles had me nailed. This was the DC version I just recall a thing with spikes coming down and flattening me. I don't know if I got past that, if I did it was just a bit further in. I got the GCN RE:CV for $5 on CC clearence. I haven't touched it.

The thing that bugs me so much about RE4 is the "treasure" fetch questing in it. I hate fetch quests.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']I got the GCN RE:CV for $5 on CC clearence. [/QUOTE]

Personally, I prefer the single disc PS2 version for $5 (less if you had the coupon) at TRU this past holiday. :D

Hardest to Easiest:

-REmake
-Resident Evil: Code Veronica
-Resident Evil 1
-Resident Evil 2
-Resident Evil 4
-Resident Evil 3

Originally when I first played RE 3, I thought the game would be super difficult because of Nemesis, with him being able to open doors, chase you, and shoot a rocket launcher at you. In the end it was a neat idea, but didn't end up being too hard.

[quote name='asianxcore']
Originally when I first played RE 3, I thought the game would be super difficult because of Nemesis, with him being able to open doors, chase you, and shoot a rocket launcher at you. In the end it was a neat idea, but didn't end up being too hard.[/QUOTE]
Thought so too.

Since we're talking about all the Resident Evils, I guess now is a good time to ask what the order/story of all of them is (capsule form). I played RE and RE2 for PSX back in the day, how do the Gamecube games fit into the timeline? I have RE and RE0 for GC I think, but never played it. It was part of a 2-PC game bundle called pure evil or something. Thanks!

Resident Evil 2 was by far the easiest...RE 1 was the hardest... Re4 i'd say is second easiest.. 3 and Veronica never held my interests..

remake was hard you had to burn those damn zombies not to mention with chris lack of supply carriage, and no lockpick....

I just started to play RE 4. And it to me doesn't feel like the other games. I am shooting stuff NON-STOP. At first I was REALLY worried about saving ammo like the old games, I would have to unload 6 bullets into a guy. I remember playing the first one and having to start over like 3 times because I didnt have any ammo left. Guess they thought they would go in a different direction this time. Just doesn't feel the same.

I still think the first one was hard as all get out, but thats why I loved it. Walking around thinking I only have about 3 shots to use on this next thing that jumps out or im screwed! That just made the game creepier.

The only one I never played was CV on Dreamcast. So I would rank them

Remake
4 (so far)

Like most of you guys. Although I can say I really have enjoyed all the titles regardless.

I thought RE 2 was the hardest. No one I know actually went though the whole game. The monsters for RE2 were the scariest out of the series to me.

I know the only ones that I have beat have been 2 and 4. I have all of them, but 3. I rented CV when it came out for DC and got pretty far, but I bought it and never got back into it. I rented 1 so many times back in the day, but I can't remember how far I ever got. I have 0, but haven't played it, I bought it as part of the Pure Evil pack to play REmake. 4 seems to definitely be the easiest though, but I also think it is the best. Not of the series, but the best game in general.

I've played RE2, REmake and RE Zero. I'll put my vote on REmake. I hated when a dead zombie body you didn't burn disappeared and made you wonder where it went. Freaked the hell out of me. But I loved it. :)

I finished 4 a while back and I'm playing 0 now these are the only two games in the series I've played. Zero is definitely harder than 4 and i'm still on the first cd. The part where you get cranked up on the lift and then the 2 huge termite things attacked you messed me up because I was out of ammo and in caution on my health bar, I had to go back to an earlier save and conserve a little more.

Even though it's easier RE4 was alot more fun! I'm going to play through the entire series in order. I used to just play only sports games back in the day and pretty much ignored the series when all the early games were first release. Stupid of me............

Pittsburgh After Dark you are gay you quit too easily. Your collection is a few gems surrounded by garbage!! You were popping shit in the other forum the other day regarding Gamecube. Joeljernon set you straight when he told you that the games I named were first party. Stay off of Bill Gates' jock. I like all systems, they all have something to offer. You are not a true gamer, your a collector, stick to that.

[quote name='Apossum']definitely not RE4...that game was pretty easy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that game was pretty easy. Once u get passed the villiage its smooth sailing from then on :bouncy:

I don't know if you include them as part of the resident evil series but I have played the entirety of the resident evil series and resident evil outbreak and outbreak 2 basically made me go insane. You start out at the different levels with limited ammo, your infected with the virus and if you don't beat the level you die, you can't let any of your partners die and to top it all off the boss fights are literally timed and health regeneration items can be practically nonexistent at times.

[quote name='hx214']
The only one I never played was CV on Dreamcast. So I would rank them

Remake
4 (so far)

Like most of you guys. Although I can say I really have enjoyed all the titles regardless.[/QUOTE]

You must! Well, at least on something. By far my favorite of the series. The storyline is just so twisted. It's actually the first one I played, and got my wife hooked on the series as well. And as someone notoriously bad about "beating" games, I've made it through all of them thus far.

I'd say in difficulty...

Remake
CV

Just picked up 5, but am afraid I'll be disappointed as most say its not very RE-like. (Picked up Dead Space as well, which well, is supposedly very RE-like)

I started the RE franchise on REmake; as Chris. So I think I acclimated well to the newer difficulty challenge. Then jumped into REZero, but stopped after getting off the train. Then finished RE4, and assignment Ada. Waited a few years, finished RE5 as Chris, then Sheva on the 2nd playthrough.

RE2, RE3, and RECV are in the backlog; only started them up to demo the beginnings. Probably circle back to REZero when time permits. I think my overall RE franchise gaming experience is fair around 45%.

I've heard RECV is the most difficult from a fellow gamer, but it's probably due to the length of the journey.

edit: Dead Space and Dead Rising are fantastic compliments. Both titles are thoroughly enjoyable from beginning to end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ironically, RE4 was the hardest for me. I died only died twice in REmake as Chris (first time against Plant 42; second time because I had gotten the nitro capsule, left for a lunch date, got back and forgot that I had the capsule and I started running), but I was a total noob in RE4; I must've died a good 10+ times.

bread's done
Back