FF7 Greatest RPG of all time???

RomanCohort

CAGiversary!
Well Im sure every alot of people has played ff7. Well in my opinion its the Greatest RPG of all time. Let me know what you think.

It's definitely in my top 5, no doubt about it. I'd have a hard time singling out one RPG as the best ever though.

FF7 is the most overrated piece of shit ever. I can rail against it for days without stopping, but I've done it a thousand times here so there is no point doing it again.

[quote name='Tromack']FF7 is the most overrated piece of shit ever. I can rail against it for days without stopping, but I've done it a thousand times here so there is no point doing it again.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. :applause:

Now if everyone else could follow your lead...

[quote name='onikage']It's definitely in my top 5, no doubt about it. I'd have a hard time singling out one RPG as the best ever though.[/QUOTE]

ditto.

I played through FF7 right when it came out and I really didn't much care for it. I thought it was damn pretty with all of the 3D summons and everything, but the storyline for me was very dull and uninspired. The best RPG I've played IMO is still Chrono Trigger.

wow. I just started replaying this game in anticipation for advent children, and I love it as much as I did back whenever it was released. No other game has held me in awe on the 7th playthrough as much as the 1st.

I don't understand the hatred toward FF7. I love it. You don't? Fine. Don't thread crap, or cry for attention because you hate a popular game. To say everyone should hate this game or everyone should love that game is just ignorant. Everyone's different.

He asked for other people's opinions on the game. Giving an opinion when one is asked for isn't what I'd consider a threadcrap.

I would have to say it is the Greatest, but I'm a little biased. Not a big RPG fan, but FF7 was my first title when I bought my first playstation in 97' and it was engrossing. I was in AIT (military school after Basic Training) and I spent countless hours playing, screwing up my whole sleep schedule.

I would say FF7 is around the top 10 (generally speaking)

most reviewers put ff6 and chronotrigger at the top . I would agree mainly because they're still very playable.

but if you wanna consider the classics, no ff7 isn't even close.

Im not saying that about anybody here but so many people just overreact and hate popular games like FF7 because they're afraid of being associated with the Final Fantasy/Gamefaqs/Halo/Everquest/Nintendo/Wrestling game/Madden/whatever crowds.

some people just feel the magic behind these games and become engrossed with them. Some don't. But you have to appreciate their quality in capturing the imaginations of so many.

Ignorance isn't bliss, it's annoying.

LOL xenogears LOL

I got part of the way through that . But the prison? sewer part just drove me up the wall .Talk about random battle express.
I'm have another go at it when I finish republic commando this week

I think there should be top 10 for games that add unique ideas to rpg's

I'd put xenogears up there with panzer dragoon saga

It's hard to single any one RPG as the best because they all have strong/weak parts to them. Top ones in my book (in no particular order) would have to be:

Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Tales of Symphonia
Suikoden
Suikoden II
FF VII
Dragon Quest VIII
Diablo
World of Warcraft
Baldurs Gate II

They should bring Chrono Trigger, FFIII, Secret of Mana, and Mario RPG to the GBA cause I miss playing those.

I prefer FFX, FF9, & even FF8, but I still think FF7 is pretty good (though I never thought it looked great, the characters have no mouths!). Also want to comment that I don't care for any of the previous Final Fantasies. My personal favorite RPG is easily Super Mario RPG, though FF7 is in my top 10.

To me it is overrated, I think when it was released people were in awe of the cutscenes. I really think it is more of a movie than a game, I don't think it really advanced RPG gameplay, it just was the first major RPG to tell the story through pretty cutscenes. It felt like they made a game for an excuse to show off the CGI.

I'll say (biased and stupid) ff7 was the last final fantasy I could get into.

I started playing ffVIII , took one look at the junction system, threw down my controller, and went straight to the bar to rethink my interest in rpg's.

then I played ffIX. pretty cool. retro I like. my friend handed me this cool strategy guide. I was at the first boss after you get the little magic kid. Flipped to the page with the boss stuff. hmm that's odd all thats theres a code. I go online look it up says I steal a cool staff(i think) from this boss . I played that goddamn boss like 5 hundred times and nothing . FU squaresoftenix whatever.

It wasn't until KOTOR renewed my faith that I tried to play FFX . Even then someone told me I had to win the first blitzball game ,I gave up after 50 tries so nix on that. I've been avoiding square ever since..

I refused to comment on my digust and feelings of cheatedness on my purchase of ffXI for ps2 .

So thats it I'm done. final fantasy 7 was the last cool final fantasy for me.

let the flaming begin

Last RPG I played was Grandia II for DC, about 3 years ago. I actually finished the game, so I must of liked it. Bought Final Fantasy X, and not unlike the previous post, made it to Blitzball, and havent played it since.

Is Diablo considered an RPG? If so, I still play it, so that would have to be added to FF7, Phantasy Star I and II.

Some count Deus Ex as an RPG.. and it definately trumps FF7.

The Suikoden Series, FF6, Chrono Trigger, Grandia II, Panzer Saga... in no particular order. Lunar SSSC on PS1 was pretty good to me back in the day, along with Arc the Lad Collection. KOTOR is a breath of fresh air, and I even gave Baiten Kaitos a chance and liked it.

Anyone that has the patience to go through FF VII more than once or twice is a much more patient and easily entertained man than me, that's for sure.

Yep, its that time kids. Next it will be, help me pick my next [insert console] game here. Followed by "Which PS1 RPGs are rare?" And rounding out the trifecta is any thread started by Kastides.

Oh and the correct answer to the question of the greatest RPG of all-time is never Final Fantasy 7.

Its Chrono Trigger.

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']Yep, its that time kids. Next it will be, help me pick my next [insert console] game here. Followed by "Which PS1 RPGs are rare?" And rounding out the trifecta is any thread started by Kastides.

Oh and the correct answer to the question of the greatest RPG of all-time is never Final Fantasy 7.

Its Chrono Trigger.[/QUOTE]

Magus is the baddest character in that game by far.

Morrowind is by far the greatest RPG of all time. FF7 is really, really good, but Elder Scrolls is just in a class all by itself. Barrett getting thrown by Mr.T hurt the games cred a little bit too.

I'm curious as to how many threads have been created in the past year on here flashing the "I'm in love with Final Fantasy VII" card just to create a thread....

[quote name='Skylander7']I'm curious as to how many threads have been created in the past year on here flashing the "I'm in love with Final Fantasy VII" card just to create a thread....[/QUOTE]

I'm curious to know if you're really curious or just wanted to make asnother post.

[quote name='piscian18']
then I played ffIX. pretty cool. retro I like. my friend handed me this cool strategy guide. I was at the first boss after you get the little magic kid. Flipped to the page with the boss stuff. hmm that's odd all thats theres a code. I go online look it up says I steal a cool staff(i think) from this boss . I played that goddamn boss like 5 hundred times and nothing . FU squaresoftenix whatever.

It wasn't until KOTOR renewed my faith that I tried to play FFX . Even then someone told me I had to win the first blitzball game ,I gave up after 50 tries so nix on that. I've been avoiding square ever since..

[/QUOTE]

Dude, your friends lie to you. :lol:

I thought ff7 was about average, nothing more nothing less.

The greatest is Lufia, no other rpg comes close, and the only game that gives it a run for its money is super mario 3. I liked lufia II but not as much. I think I'm so mesmerized by simply being lufia that that's the reason I'm enjoying playing "lufia: ruins of lore" for GBA. I can't figure out why else I'm enjoying it, as it's a point and click map (hate those), minimal story (everything gets summed up in as little time as possible, no long or emotional scenes), and the enemies either almost kill me or I blow through them (since you can only save in towns, you need to be sure you can survive the area and by then the boss is a joke, not that they're that tough anyway).

Though I didn't consider ff9 retro.......

[quote name='piscian18']I'll say (biased and stupid) ff7 was the last final fantasy I could get into.

I started playing ffVIII , took one look at the junction system, threw down my controller, and went straight to the bar to rethink my interest in rpg's.

I refused to comment on my digust and feelings of cheatedness on my purchase of ffXI for ps2 .

So thats it I'm done. final fantasy 7 was the last cool final fantasy for me.

let the flaming begin[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain. I decided to give FF8 a shot, even though I wasn't super impressed with FF7, after getting swept up into all of the hype aroung its release. I played about 12 hours or so of FF8 to really try and give it a chance, but I just couldn't get into it. I found the whole battle system, especiallly having to steal spells from enemies to use them later, incredibly tedious and it was really the last nail in the coffin for me as far as the series was concerned. I haven't played another one since.

yeah 8 and 9 ruined me on final fantasy. haven't been into them since.

FF6, FF7, and FFX are the ones I enjoy.

But Suikoden and Suikoden 2 are about as good.

Fallout and Fallout 2 are the best.

I dunno, i must be the only person that truly enjoyed ff9 and to an extent ff8 as much as 7... i thought 9 was just so refreshing, it took you back to an older feel of the final fantasy series, and i thought the characters were pretty good, and the last disc was awesome... but 7 was a great rpg, maybe not the best of all-time though. I think best of all-time depends on your preference of types of RPG's, if you're looking for a deep and long RPG, then perhaps ff7 is, but action rpg's like Zelda: Link to the Past might take the cake if thats the type of RPG you're into. It all depends on the player

Almost. I feel that FFX is better, but FFIV is top five for sure, along with FFIV, Xenosaga 1, and Fallout. Damn, ok, KOTOR has to be in there as well. Let's make that top 6. :)

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']So boring I couldn't make it off the first disc. Overrated pos imo ;P[/QUOTE]

ditto.that was the last time i ever bought into the hype.

I would have to say "Hell No" and then say "EarthBound".

yeah I don't actually blame FFIX or FFX . Its was just the fact that the strategy guide piss me off so badly (google it if you don't know the misery) and by the time FFX came collecting shit was more important than beating the game. I really just had to have whatever you won in the first blitz ball. now that I finallyhave panzer saga the graphic are two dated. it 's actually hard to play on my HDTV

My final answer is elder scrolls:Oblivion will be the best game ever made. Then maybe earthbound.

[quote name='jer7583']Im not saying that about anybody here but so many people just overreact and hate popular games like FF7 because they're afraid of being associated with the Final Fantasy/Gamefaqs/Halo/Everquest/Nintendo/Wrestling game/Madden/whatever crowds.

some people just feel the magic behind these games and become engrossed with them. Some don't. But you have to appreciate their quality in capturing the imaginations of so many.

Ignorance isn't bliss, it's annoying.[/QUOTE]

He stated his opinion, I stated mine. If he only wanted to hear people say the same thing as him, he shouldn't have posted it on an online forum.

You don't know the reasons behind my opinions, so don't pretend to. I love FF4 ,5, 6, 8, and X. So, I obviously don't mind being associated with the Final Fantasy crowd. How about you just stop being an oversensitive, condescending, little bitch and let people state their opinions.

Now, how's that for a threadcrap?

[quote name='Tromack']FF7 is the most overrated piece of shit ever. I can rail against it for days without stopping, but I've done it a thousand times here so there is no point doing it again.[/QUOTE]
You took the words right out of my mouth.

[quote name='Tromack']He stated his opinion, I stated mine. If he only wanted to hear people say the same thing as him, he shouldn't have posted it on an online forum.

You don't know the reasons behind my opinions, so don't pretend to. I love FF4 ,5, 6, 8, and X. So, I obviously don't mind being associated with the Final Fantasy crowd. How about you just stop being an oversensitive, condescending, little bitch and let people state their opinions.

Now, how's that for a threadcrap?[/QUOTE]
:applause:

I haven't played it, but didn't Shadow Hearts:Covenant get really high scores? I haven't played FF7 either, but, if people liked it for the cutscenes, then it goes in the same boat as Donkey Kong. People loved it because it pushed the graphics on the Snes and was looked beatiful. However, if you look back on it now, its pretty much an average game.
Some of the best Rpgs I've played however, are:
Chrono Trigger
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2, I think)
Deus Ex(If it counts)
Super Mario Rpg: Legend of the Seven Stars

FF7 would not make any top RPG list of mine, and I have played hundreds counting PC RPGs but it DID singlehandedly save the RPG on console systems. As a game I really dislike FF7, but RPGs were dying a slow death and the success of FF7 pulled them back from the brink and made them a viable genre again.

bread's done
Back