- - - - -

FF7 Greatest RPG of all time???

#31 BigSpoonyBard   Aaaaauuugghh! CAGiversary!   10499 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

BigSpoonyBard

Posted 01 September 2005 - 05:12 PM

then I played ffIX. pretty cool. retro I like. my friend handed me this cool strategy guide. I was at the first boss after you get the little magic kid. Flipped to the page with the boss stuff. hmm that's odd all thats theres a code. I go online look it up says I steal a cool staff(i think) from this boss . I played that goddamn boss like 5 hundred times and nothing . FU squaresoftenix whatever.

It wasn't until KOTOR renewed my faith that I tried to play FFX . Even then someone told me I had to win the first blitzball game ,I gave up after 50 tries so nix on that. I've been avoiding square ever since..

Dude, your friends lie to you. :lol:

#32 alonzomourning23   all my heroes are dead CAGiversary!   7774 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

alonzomourning23

Posted 01 September 2005 - 05:48 PM

I thought ff7 was about average, nothing more nothing less.

The greatest is Lufia, no other rpg comes close, and the only game that gives it a run for its money is super mario 3. I liked lufia II but not as much. I think I'm so mesmerized by simply being lufia that that's the reason I'm enjoying playing "lufia: ruins of lore" for GBA. I can't figure out why else I'm enjoying it, as it's a point and click map (hate those), minimal story (everything gets summed up in as little time as possible, no long or emotional scenes), and the enemies either almost kill me or I blow through them (since you can only save in towns, you need to be sure you can survive the area and by then the boss is a joke, not that they're that tough anyway).

Though I didn't consider ff9 retro.......

#33 Professor Oreo   I paint pretty pictures CAGiversary!   1115 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Professor Oreo

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:08 PM

I'll say (biased and stupid) ff7 was the last final fantasy I could get into.

I started playing ffVIII , took one look at the junction system, threw down my controller, and went straight to the bar to rethink my interest in rpg's.

then I played ffIX. pretty cool. retro I like. my friend handed me this cool strategy guide. I was at the first boss after you get the little magic kid. Flipped to the page with the boss stuff. hmm that's odd all thats theres a code. I go online look it up says I steal a cool staff(i think) from this boss . I played that goddamn boss like 5 hundred times and nothing . FU squaresoftenix whatever.

It wasn't until KOTOR renewed my faith that I tried to play FFX . Even then someone told me I had to win the first blitzball game ,I gave up after 50 tries so nix on that. I've been avoiding square ever since..

I refused to comment on my digust and feelings of cheatedness on my purchase of ffXI for ps2 .

So thats it I'm done. final fantasy 7 was the last cool final fantasy for me.

let the flaming begin

I feel your pain. I decided to give FF8 a shot, even though I wasn't super impressed with FF7, after getting swept up into all of the hype aroung its release. I played about 12 hours or so of FF8 to really try and give it a chance, but I just couldn't get into it. I found the whole battle system, especiallly having to steal spells from enemies to use them later, incredibly tedious and it was really the last nail in the coffin for me as far as the series was concerned. I haven't played another one since.

Guest_Virtua_*

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:21 AM

yeah 8 and 9 ruined me on final fantasy. haven't been into them since.

FF6, FF7, and FFX are the ones I enjoy.

But Suikoden and Suikoden 2 are about as good.

Fallout and Fallout 2 are the best.

#35 Noodle Pirate!   My Cat > Your Cat CAGiversary!   2302 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Noodle Pirate!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:26 AM

So boring I couldn't make it off the first disc. Overrated pos imo ;P

#36 brainstorm   My name is a misprint CAGiversary!   474 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

brainstorm

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:30 AM

I dunno, i must be the only person that truly enjoyed ff9 and to an extent ff8 as much as 7... i thought 9 was just so refreshing, it took you back to an older feel of the final fantasy series, and i thought the characters were pretty good, and the last disc was awesome... but 7 was a great rpg, maybe not the best of all-time though. I think best of all-time depends on your preference of types of RPG's, if you're looking for a deep and long RPG, then perhaps ff7 is, but action rpg's like Zelda: Link to the Past might take the cake if thats the type of RPG you're into. It all depends on the player

#37 mietha   sXe CAGiversary!   1645 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:35 AM

Almost. I feel that FFX is better, but FFIV is top five for sure, along with FFIV, Xenosaga 1, and Fallout. Damn, ok, KOTOR has to be in there as well. Let's make that top 6. :)

#38 2poor   Luckless CAGiversary!   5678 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:46 AM

So boring I couldn't make it off the first disc. Overrated pos imo ;P

ditto.that was the last time i ever bought into the hype.

#39 Dick Tracy   The Man in the Yellow Hat CAGiversary!   38659 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:19 AM

I would have to say "Hell No" and then say "EarthBound".

#40 piscian18   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   238 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:27 AM

yeah I don't actually blame FFIX or FFX . Its was just the fact that the strategy guide piss me off so badly (google it if you don't know the misery) and by the time FFX came collecting shit was more important than beating the game. I really just had to have whatever you won in the first blitz ball. now that I finallyhave panzer saga the graphic are two dated. it 's actually hard to play on my HDTV

My final answer is elder scrolls:Oblivion will be the best game ever made. Then maybe earthbound.

#41 defiance_17   You're bastard people. CAGiversary!   2371 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

defiance_17

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:27 PM

Deja Vu

That wasn't really an RPG, but a great game nonetheless.

#42 CaoPi   (Chou Pei) Mousou nut, KOEI fan CAGiversary!   10611 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:01 PM

game was great can't wait for Advent Children

#43 Tromack   Vitriolic since 1997 CAGiversary!   3226 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:07 PM

Im not saying that about anybody here but so many people just overreact and hate popular games like FF7 because they're afraid of being associated with the Final Fantasy/Gamefaqs/Halo/Everquest/Nintendo/Wrestling game/Madden/whatever crowds.

some people just feel the magic behind these games and become engrossed with them. Some don't. But you have to appreciate their quality in capturing the imaginations of so many.

Ignorance isn't bliss, it's annoying.

He stated his opinion, I stated mine. If he only wanted to hear people say the same thing as him, he shouldn't have posted it on an online forum.

You don't know the reasons behind my opinions, so don't pretend to. I love FF4 ,5, 6, 8, and X. So, I obviously don't mind being associated with the Final Fantasy crowd. How about you just stop being an oversensitive, condescending, little bitch and let people state their opinions.

Now, how's that for a threadcrap?

#44 doodle777_98   Trade me your nes games. CAGiversary!   3852 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

doodle777_98

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:01 PM

Definitly over rated. FF3 was the best.

#45 daedricnekomata   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   83 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

daedricnekomata

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:29 AM

FF7 is the most overrated piece of shit ever. I can rail against it for days without stopping, but I've done it a thousand times here so there is no point doing it again.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

#46 daedricnekomata   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   83 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

daedricnekomata

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:37 AM

He stated his opinion, I stated mine. If he only wanted to hear people say the same thing as him, he shouldn't have posted it on an online forum.

You don't know the reasons behind my opinions, so don't pretend to. I love FF4 ,5, 6, 8, and X. So, I obviously don't mind being associated with the Final Fantasy crowd. How about you just stop being an oversensitive, condescending, little bitch and let people state their opinions.

Now, how's that for a threadcrap?

:applause:

#47 jetlag16   Original CAG CAGiversary!   388 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

jetlag16

Posted 04 September 2005 - 01:22 AM

I haven't played it, but didn't Shadow Hearts:Covenant get really high scores? I haven't played FF7 either, but, if people liked it for the cutscenes, then it goes in the same boat as Donkey Kong. People loved it because it pushed the graphics on the Snes and was looked beatiful. However, if you look back on it now, its pretty much an average game.
Some of the best Rpgs I've played however, are:
Chrono Trigger
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2, I think)
Deus Ex(If it counts)
Super Mario Rpg: Legend of the Seven Stars

#48 crowbb   Watch out for snakes CAGiversary!   1009 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 01:41 AM

FF7 would not make any top RPG list of mine, and I have played hundreds counting PC RPGs but it DID singlehandedly save the RPG on console systems. As a game I really dislike FF7, but RPGs were dying a slow death and the success of FF7 pulled them back from the brink and made them a viable genre again.

#49 Msia   COR BLIMEY! CAGiversary!   1143 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 01:45 AM

Shit thread and repost, lock and B7. We all know its overrated, nothing to see here, move along.

#50 the3rdkey   Foot Cheap Ass CAGiversary!   1870 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 01:47 AM

Where is the poll so I can vote no?

#51 alonzomourning23   all my heroes are dead CAGiversary!   7774 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

alonzomourning23

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:24 AM

FF7 would not make any top RPG list of mine, and I have played hundreds counting PC RPGs but it DID singlehandedly save the RPG on console systems. As a game I really dislike FF7, but RPGs were dying a slow death and the success of FF7 pulled them back from the brink and made them a viable genre again.

That's entirely not true. The president of sony was focusing on 3d and graphics and didn't want stuff that didn't fit that mold, but that was a u.s. decision and did not reflect console rpg's as a whole. FF7 made rpg's take off in the u.s., but I don't like the ones that took after the ff7 model. I stick to the old dragon warrior style.

#52 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22461 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 03:39 AM

Top 5 RPGs:
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Chrono Cross
3. FFVI (yes, III for the US SNES)
4. Vagrant Story
5. Grandia

FFVII comes in at 6th... sorry.:-P

#53 lurknomore   Selling my stuff.... CAGiversary!   3421 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 01:19 PM

The first disc of FFVII was good, not great....and then the game just drags. I still can't believe how holy and beloved this game is. It's good but not legendary, by any means. Vote goes to Chrono Trigger.

#54 alongx   Soy loco por el Cornball CAGiversary!   4887 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 01:23 PM

FF7 is the most overrated piece of shit ever. I can rail against it for days without stopping, but I've done it a thousand times here so there is no point doing it again.

AGREED. Shit, I hate this game.

#55 daedricnekomata   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   83 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

daedricnekomata

Posted 04 September 2005 - 01:31 PM

The first disc of FFVII was good, not great....and then the game just drags. I still can't believe how holy and beloved this game is. It's good but not legendary

and yet again:applause:

#56 Nirvanaguy777   Last Son of South Brooklyn CAGiversary!   6534 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Nirvanaguy777

Posted 04 September 2005 - 01:32 PM

FF7 was good but people tend too overrate it, there are plenty of rpgs that are just as good and are even better.

#57 urzishra14   Who are you? I'm Batman. CAGiversary!   2385 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

urzishra14

Posted 04 September 2005 - 01:35 PM

my favs are Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger.. but I think the best one was KOTOR, and Jade Empire would be in my top 10.

#58 Dick Tracy   The Man in the Yellow Hat CAGiversary!   38659 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:31 PM

I want to mention Jade Empire, too. It's like BioWare took Knight of the Old Republic... but made it playable.

#59 adrianchan56   lvl 10 Blademaster CAGiversary!   245 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

adrianchan56

Posted 04 September 2005 - 04:05 PM

FF7 = honestly never played it. Friends said it was ok but they liked ff8 better. Only ff I like is FF2,FF3, and FFX (I actually liked the game because it's really short since I've got no time for RPGs now.)

#60 Nogib   *squeezing* the *juice* CAGiversary!   1459 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 05:12 PM

Game was far from being a great or definitive RPG. It may have been the first RPG a lot of gamers were exposed to, but nostalgia does not make this into a great game. There are dozens upon dozens of RPGs that exceed this title in every possible way.