DaPhatty's visit to VGD.com B&M (w/pics)

daphatty

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
After several visits to NY in the past year, I was finally able to visit Defender's B&M store, Multimedia 1.0. My curiosity turned anticipation had been building all week and I couldn't wait to get there. My wife was cool with the idea but she wanted to see the Statue of Liberty first. Little did I know that Lady Liberty would eat up 3 hours of our Sunday afternoon!

We finally made our way over to MM 1.0 from Little Italy about 4:30 p.m. Once we figured out which direction we needed to go, we had little trouble finding the place. Check out the pics of the neighborhood. He sure does have a prime location for his store!

Picture_165.jpg

Storefront from across the street.

Picture_167.jpg

I was impressed before I even walked in the door. In the front window was an old PacMan Mini-Arcade system. SHWEET! I thought I had outgrown my giddy gamer phase. I was wrong.

Picture_168.jpg

When we finally walked through the front door, my jaw dropped. I'm telling you it was gamer heaven in there. It was ceiling to floor video games! Portions of the ceiling were decorated with (what I am assuming to be) old broken controllers and black backed PS1 game discs. (Very nice touch by the way.) In typical NY style, space was at a premium. With the exception of the main entrance and back "stock" areas, the store was no more than 6 feet wide. (Things got pretty interesting when customers needed to walk by one another.) But that didn't stop Defender from utilizing every inch of space. My god there were fucking games everywhere! This year's E3 had an exhibit of all the gaming systems in existance. I swear Defender had 95% of the items in his store AND IN WORKING ORDER!

So there I am amidst one of the greatest collections of gaming goodies I have seen. It took me a while to calm down enough to remember that I was there to pick up some CAG shirts and help support Defender's B&M store as best I could. But where to start? I'm the sort of gamer that LOVES rummaging through the used games/peripherals section of EB, Gamestop, etc. MM 1.0 is a gigantic version of that! I "alledgedly" spent the better part of an hour walking up and down the narrow corridor, rummaging through all the goodies they had for sale. My wonderful wife didn't even wimper once! It was clear the guys working there thought I was a gaming dork with serious issues. They simply couldn't understand why I was so excited.

I finally managed to pick something out and even spent more money than I planned when I was given an on the spot deal on some used PS1 games. My biggest finds were a pretty clean copy of Irritating Stick and of course my two XL CAG T-Shirts. Even my wife got into the action. She grabbed a copy of Who Wants to be a Millionaire 3rd Edition although I couldn't convince her to want a shirt. :lol: Maybe when the babydoll T's come out.

All in all, I had a great time, and introduced two MM 1.0 employees to the meaning of gamer glee. (Although I don't think they got it.) Check me out in front of the store. My expression says it all.

Picture_170.jpg

Oh, and the Hemorroid Chair was fucking awesome! I feel bad for Seth (whoever that is.) :rofl:

Picture_169.jpg

[quote name='ValkyrieVF-1S']Did you check out the brand new adult dvd section? :lol:[/quote]

I did see it. For a split second. It was small, about 2 shelves roughly 2-3 feet long. There may have been more but as soon as I realize what it was, I looked away. Wouldn't want the wife to notice. :)

If it is still there in October, I'll probably checkit out. I gotta go back to Ct for a wedding, and priomised a friend I wold go to NYC with her.

Nice pics.
I told defender that we should film a internet tv show from his store so we could put all that good old stuff to some use!

I only wish I had more money to spend there. He had some really cool stuff. If his store is still around during my next trip, I will definitely go back there!

Sweet. I was in the city last week and didn't even think to go there - I will definitely check it out next time I'm there...

Well, that settles it. The last time I was in New York was visiting my sister in July/August 2001, and I have been trying to determine if it was actually defender's shop I had seen or not. But that is definitely the store, right across from Dojo East, right? I love Dojo East, ate there a bunch of times, but I never stopped in the game store, because my sister wouldn't have been very interested, plus at the time I had no idea who defender was. Now I am kicking myself for not stopping in Multimedia 1.0. Ouch.

I dont get it. Why are u guys saying if he is still there. I mean is he plaining to go out of buisness. I hope not. I cant believe that even being in NYC for 19 years i never went to the store to check it. Ill def stop by this weekend and see whats going on there.

He's hinted at closing the store/changing the format for quite some time. Each time he posts he sounds more definitive about an eventual change he may be forced to undertake (in whatever form it may be.) I feel for his financial situation. It sucks being "franchised" out of the business. Hell I spotted a Gamestop AND an EB within 3 blocks of his store.

To be honest, (and I am sooo going to get flamed for this) I think Defender's selection is too good for most CAGers. This trip made me realize that I am not a true CAG. Rather, a deal happy gamer. I think a true CAG would have drooled at Defender's selection and then scoffed at some of his prices. I on the other hand was willing to pay his asking price for many of the items he had for sale. The one item I know I would have paid for (with or without the cash to pay for it) was a Black Sega Sports Dreamcast. Unfortunately, they didn't have any. (He did have the Hello Kitty Japanese DC though. Go figure.) Defender, you really are in a tough spot here at CAG. Most people here are looking for a cheap score. Your selection caters to the TRUE gamer which most CAGer's are not.

[quote name='daphatty']Your selection caters to the TRUE gamer which most CAGer's are not.[/quote]

Right. Most of us are actually fake gamers, assembled in china, and bound to fall apart after a few months. Or at least we're not TRUE gamers as defined in the dictionary (or was it the bible?)

Pray tell, what is a TRUE gamer? And why are those letters in uppercase? is it an acronym?

There is a chance that mini-arcade Pac Man was mine.... :) I traded one into him about 8 years ago along with Nintendo Game & Watches. Probably not the same one, but it does bring back memories.

I agree, and i can see why Defender gets stressed out, he can offer deals to CAG, like the DMC2 Onimusha Deal thats 27.99, which I think is a decent deal as they can be found from 15-20 a piece.

But then these 5 dollar,bogo, or other deals from bigger chains come up and its hard to compete :(

[quote name='eldad9'][quote name='daphatty']Your selection caters to the TRUE gamer which most CAGer's are not.[/quote]

Right. Most of us are actually fake gamers, assembled in china, and bound to fall apart after a few months. Or at least we're not TRUE gamers as defined in the dictionary (or was it the bible?)

Pray tell, what is a TRUE gamer? And why are those letters in uppercase? is it an acronym?[/quote]

I'll have to agree that the post you quoted DID sound a bit elitist. Let's not go there.

"Don't go there! Don't go there! One dollar!"

I think he meant most of his stuff was geared towards people that were willing to spend a lot of money on a few items (he mentioned the 300 and up hello kitty DC and from the Pics I saw a ton of rare items)

I maybe heading up to NJ this summer and I just may have to go to the city and check out his store

I think what he means by "TRUE" gamer is the fact that most people here don't want to pay the price for older titles that are more expensive like Radiant Silvergun.

Most people will be like "I would like to have that", but what he means by "TRUE" gamer is the one who lays down the money for it instead of going and buying 10 cheap XBOX games or whatever.

I think he's just saying that VGD caters to a specific group, and can't be like a Wal Mart, but he said it in a really weird way.

[quote name='eldad9']

Pray tell, what is a TRUE gamer? And why are those letters in uppercase? is it an acronym?[/quote]

I knew this was coming. The definition of a TRUE gamer is, unfortunately, subjective. My definition will differ from yours in small or major ways. The point I was trying to make is that this site permiates the "get something for as close to nothing as possible" attitude. In doing so, we tend to forget just how much we value games and the industry. Instead of buying gaming products at full or slightly discounted prices, we choose to wait it out, knowing that eventually the price will come down. Sure we save a ton of money, but at what cost? If we are not investing in the industry we love, eventually it will disappear.

I know I'm being overly dramatic but I don't care. That's just how I feel.

[quote name='opportunity777']I think what he means by "TRUE" gamer is the fact that most people here don't want to pay the price for older titles that are more expensive like Radiant Silvergun.

Most people will be like "I would like to have that", but what he means by "TRUE" gamer is the one who lays down the money for it instead of going and buying 10 cheap XBOX games or whatever.

I think he's just saying that VGD caters to a specific group, and can't be like a Wal Mart, but he said it in a really weird way.[/quote]

Yep. That about sums it up.

[quote name='daphatty']The definition of a TRUE gamer is, unfortunately, subjective.[/quote]

You mean there is no definition.

Definitions can't be subjective (they would be worthless otherwise).

[quote name='daphatty']The point I was trying to make is that this site permiates the "get something for as close to nothing as possible" attitude.[/quote]

Not trying to flame, but shouldn't you EXPECT that from a site called Cheapass Gamer? Just sayin'...

Sometimes it's pretty cool to put a face to the name. defender looks like a guy you could just sit and chat with. I wish I could visit that store someday...

Thanks DaPhatty.

If you think you were impressed just browsing imagine what you would think if I gave you a tour. I know the history of many of the rare items I have. I also have in storage or behind the counter even rarer items.

I get what you mean by TRUE GAMER but what you mean is non-cheapass game collector. They don't exist anymore. Ebay has killed that for me personally.

I am shocked you didnt mention that I cut you some bucks on a purchase. I gave you more than I said I would....

This thread is flattering. Thank you.

[quote name='PsyClerk'] Not trying to flame, but shouldn't you EXPECT that from a site called Cheapass Gamer? Just sayin'...[/quote]

Absolutely. Don't get me wrong, I love the site. I was just expressing my opinion on the CAG/VGD relationship and the current state of longevity for the small "Mom & Pop" gameshop.

the only mom and pop shop near me can suck my left nut. What's funny is that the bookstore next to buy-rite is so awesome as they deal with used videogames DVD's CD's as well. I buy a lot of stuff from that store and hope they stay in business for a long time.

Dammit, I just realized I was right outside of that store like 2 weeks ago. Had I known, I would have went in and emptied my wallet.

[quote name='alongx']Dammit, I just realized I was right outside of that store like 2 weeks ago. Had I known, I would have went in and emptied my wallet.[/quote]

DAMMIT is right! :)

[quote name='defender']Thanks DaPhatty.

If you think you were impressed just browsing imagine what you would think if I gave you a tour. I know the history of many of the rare items I have. I also have in storage or behind the counter even rarer items.

I get what you mean by TRUE GAMER but what you mean is non-cheapass game collector. They don't exist anymore. Ebay has killed that for me personally.

I am shocked you didnt mention that I cut you some bucks on a purchase. I gave you more than I said I would....

This thread is flattering. Thank you.[/quote]

That was you?! Holy fuck! I thought you were supposed to be in Atlantic City? No wonder you seemed a bit grouchy. I dismissed you as some pissed off employee who wasn't happy to be working in the store on one of the best day's Manhattan has seen in a while.

I wasn't sure if I should share the details of the deal but now that I know it's ok, I got a Buy 2 get 1 free deal on PS1 games. I was hella excited until the wifey said she wanted Who wants to be a Millionaire. :rolf: I wondered if you guys got a good laugh about that. Getting a Non-GH Soul Blade and Irritating Stick was sweet anyway.

If being a "true gamer" means shelling out big $$ then I never want to be a "true gamer" EVER!!!

I'll stick to being a cheapass. :wink:

[quote name='daphatty']...I dismissed you as some pissed off employee who wasn't happy to be working in the store on one of the best day's Manhattan has seen in a while.[/quote]

Imagine that! ;)

lol...

pissed off is my everyday face

Hate...it's not an emotion it's a lifestyle.

I was sorta burnt out from AC and rather tired. That's why I requested you introduce yourself sooner so I could have put on my happy face...it takes me at least 10 minutes to prep it. :)

I am glad you loved the store as most people who walk in do...but the truth is that I am NOT a museum which is how my store is treated. I don't get any government grants to stay open. I only do so with sales which are far and few between. I am pretty sure the entire time you were in the store that no one else bought anything. And while I appreciate every sale at this point...your sale didn't even cover the costs of the store for the time you were in it. It's rather hard to be happy about things like that. I was happy to meet you...you seemed into the store and your wife and I didn't want to disturb you. I wasn't sure you knew I was Defender so I just let it go...if you wanted to meet me you could have asked. You got a good wife there...she seemed just as excited as you about the store and didn't rush you out like most woman do.

All in all next time we can be more friendly.

To be honest, unless I knew you were there, I wouldn't have said much more than I did simply because I was overwhelmed by your selection. I really didn't know what to do with myself. The term "Kid in a Candy Store" is an understatement. And yea, my wife was great. I kept apologizing to her for taking so long because usually she's just like all the other wives who rush their men out the door. But since I put in 3 hours at the Statue of Liberty without a single complaint she knew it was her turn.

As for your sales, yea I agree things were slow. You had some decent foot traffic and a couple other sales. Like I said before, I wish I could have spent more. Had the wallet warden not been with me my impulses would have walked out with an additional Saturn Stunner, a second Dreamcast Gun (I really wanted that Japanese one), and countless other goodies. One of my B-Day presents is a Met game at Shea this year so I'll make it a point to come back and grab the things I missed this time.

What's the deal with all those people coming in asking about the new All-In-One Atari joystick systems? Is that a hot item or something? Poor guy up front seemed to be out of excuses for not having any. :lol:

[quote name='defender']...but the truth is that I am NOT a museum which is how my store is treated. I don't get any government grants to stay open.[/quote]

Looked into it?

What gets me vexed is that smaller more personable stores are going under because of the giant game stores such as gamestop and ebgames. I prefer the more “mom and pop” store for they feel like they give you more of their time when they need something. Example: If I was to walk into a gamestop and ask an employee help, he would not go out of his way to help me. The way their mindset is “Im making $7/hr and why should I bend over backward when Gamestop isn’t even treating me right.” I speak like this because this was the way I was at GAP and every other employee. When customers asked me for help I would quickly respond “We are out of that item” when I know for sure we have stacks and stacks of them upstairs. This was the way I worked at these larger chain stores. If they did not bother to treat me like I should be treated why should I work hard. I also previous to working at GAP worked at a small non-chain pet store. I loved it there and spent 3 years of my life working there. I began working there at 14 and finished at 17 and never regretted a day. The owner of the store was always there and made sure nothing ever bothered me at the store. If something always bothered me then he would take time out of his day and address it and make sure the problem was resolved. When a customer came in he would help them and would not stop until they were satisified. I know the reason why he was working so hard with a customer because he needed that sale and make sure the customer was satisfied so they would come back. I found that the owner made strong friendships with people who came into the store. They would invite him to their summer house, or even to dunner. GAP on the other hand has zombies of people walk in and out without purchasing something and no one cares because employees and even managers know it doesn’t matter because they are going to make their pay whether they sell something or not. That smaller pet store had such a good atmosphere. It had the customers knowing they were always welcome and they could always come by and ask for help. I know that obviously this doesn’t fix the problems of Defenders store but it just gets me heated when I see a store with such great potential go under because of large chain stores.

I would have walked in and asked for defender right away. If soemone else was like who are you, I would hae been Big Nick!

I dont think there is room left in the store for you Bignick.

Daphatty can attest to the fact that my store is like a dump with boxes and games EVERYWHERE. It's not that big a store to begin with.

[quote name='defender']I dont think there is room left in the store for you Bignick.

Daphatty can attest to the fact that my store is like a dump with boxes and games EVERYWHERE. It's not that big a store to begin with.[/quote]

Defender, your store is so good, I think BigNick should go on a diet just to fit in the store. And with as much cool shit as you have, it's allowed to be messy.

I swear the next time I come down to buy something (yes, I am one of those damned lurkers). We probably did meet, though before I knew the you or CAG. I should be down again in a few weeks. I will introduce myself.

bread's done
Back