Owen Hart's wrestling topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say hello to The Rocket

62.jpg

Owen Hart was perhaps one of the most underrated wrestlers in WWE history, unfortunately it wasn't until his untimely death that most people realized this. Owen Hart's death remains the greatest tragedy in the history of wrestling, and all of sports and entertainment for that matter.

The focus of this topic is on Owen's life though, specifically his wrestling career.

As you all know Owen was born into the legendary Hart wrestling family, and began working matches at the age of 16.

Owen began wrestling for Stu Hart's Stampede wrestling, and twice captured the heavyweight championship.

New Japan came calling next, as Owen honed his skills and became the organization's first westerner to capture the junior heavyweight title.

Owen then made his way to the WWF, and debuted as the Blue Blazer to avoid being associated with Bret. He then had a brief stint in WCW, teaming with Brian Pillman.

Hart was quickly back in the WWF, and he then teamed with Jim Neidhart and Koko B Ware. Owen would go on to hold the tag titles with Yokozuna, and later with the British Bulldog, and much later with Jeff Jarrett.

Owen also enjoyed some singles success. He defeated Goldust to win the European championship. Owen also held the Intercontinental title twice, once defeating Farooq, and prior to that he won the strap off The Rock... Owen was scheduled to defeat the Godfather to win the IC title at Over the Edge.

On May 24, 1999 the entire format of Raw was changed to a tribute show to Owen Hart. Many of the wrestlers gave teary-eyed interviews with their thoughts on Owen Hart throughout the show. Mark Henry breaking down while reading a poem for Owen is forever burned in my memory.

Five years prior to that Owen Hart faced Bret Hart in perhaps the greatest feud in WWF/E history. Owen and Bret's matches were not just emotionally charged, but the wrestling ability and in-ring chemistry of the two was simply incredible. Their best match perhaps was at Wrestlemania X, where Owen Hart would defeat his brother... Bret went on to win the Championship that night over Yokozuna. Ultimately the feud led to Owen Hart being crowned King of the Ring in 1994.

I could undoubtedly go on and on about the accolades of Owen Hart, and all that could've been, but I'll refrain for now and simply end by saying Owen Hart is sadly missed to this day. Wrestlers of his athleticism, charisma and sincerety are few and far between today.

RIP OWEN

Excellent selection. He was twice the wrestler his brother was and got no respect because he was only ok on the mic. Owen Hart>Shawn Micheals>Brett Hart(who is possibly the most overrated ever imo)

[quote name='TheUnsane1']Excellent selection. He was twice the wrestler his brother was and got no respect because he was only ok on the mic. Owen Hart>Shawn Micheals>Brett Hart(who is possibly the most overrated ever imo)[/QUOTE]

Oh boy, Scorch and Jack are gonna have a fit when they read that. Although, IMO Owen was just as good as Bret, if not better, but that's largely because he was able to learn from Bret and all of his other brothers.

Don't worry. I won't have a fit. Owen was an incredible wrestler. He's probably the greatest WWE superstar who never held the World championship.

Like Horsey said, he was awesome because he was able to learn from Bret & Stu his entire life. I still hold the Bret vs. Owen no-holds-barred match from a house show that I saw many, many years ago as one of the, if not the greatest, match of all time. Seeing Bret & Owen work together was just plain magic... :)

I respect Unsane's opinions, but I don't agree with the one that Bret is overrated. I personally believe that Bret has earned all the respect that he has gotten from the millions of fans worldwide. The man only missed 2 scheduled matches in his career, if I'm not mistaken. One was due to an injury suffered in a match. The other was due to flight problems.

That's pretty incredible if you ask me. Plus, Bret was always on in the ring. Never had a bad night that I can remember. Plus, he could make any opponent look great. Just ask around about his match against the 1-2-3 Kid. The match he had with the Kid put the Kid over big time, even though Bret won. He made him look that damn good.

[quote name='mykevermin']:cry:[/QUOTE]

What's with the sad face, my friend? C'mon, look at how happy my avatar is. I'm a big depressed person and it always makes me smile! :)

Just to make it official...

Jushin "Thunder" Liger To Compete At "Bound For Glory"! News
September 12th, 2005 00:07
HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT - JUSHIN "THUNDER" LIGER TO COMPETE AT "BOUND FOR GLORY"!

TNAwrestling.com has learned that Japanese wrestling legend Jushin "Thunder" Liger will be competing at TNA's "Bound For Glory" Pay-Per-View on Sunday, October 23!

Liger will also be appearing at the "Bound For Glory" Fanfest that Saturday, joining over 40 TNA stars set to appear!

Liger, one of the greatest high-flyers in the history of wrestling, is a major celebrity in Japan and a true icon. TNAwrestling.com will announce his Bound For Glory opponent as soon as we receive word from TNA management.

TNA Wrestling would like to thank Mr. Simon Inoki and New Japan Pro Wrestling for allowing Mr. Liger to travel to TNA Wrestling to take part in "Bound For Glory"

OTHER NEWS AND NOTES FROM UNBREAKABLE, MORE...

At Sunday night's "Unbreakable", Matt Bentley made his return to TNA Wrestling, attacking both Chris Sabin and Petey Williams. In a huge announcement, Bentley made the challenge to the rest of the X Division to face him in an Ultimate X Match at Bound For Glory on Sunday, October 23! Bentley won the first-ever Ultimate X match in August 2003, and now he's bringing it back for the biggest event in TNA history!

Sean Waltman did not appear on Sunday's Pay-Per-View for reasons unknown at this time. Late in the day, TNA management made contact with Waltman, who said he would arrive shortly before the event, but to no avail. TNAwrestling.com hopes to have an update as soon as possible once TNA speaks with Waltman.

This Friday afternoon on the website, TNA will present the first of two "Best Of TNA Wrestling" programs, available to view online for free! In addition to matches from our Pay-Per-Views and "iMPACT!", you'll get news and matches on the huge Bound For Glory epic event on Sunday, October 23! On this week's first "Best Of", you'll see: Samoa Joe vs. Alex Shelley from the Super X Cup Tournament, Jeff Jarrett defends the NWA World Heavyweight Title against The Alpha Male Monty Brown from "iMPACT!", plus the Ultimate X match from Final Resolution with AJ Styles, Chris Sabin and Petey Williams!

I really liked the 'black hart" gimmick owen had for awhile. I really liked the hart foundation phase also, it was cool to see him and bret together.

Jushin "Thunder" Liger WTF? How old is this guy? I remember when he would wrestle every once in a while in the Cruiserweight Division during WCW.

He's coming to TNA. I wonder for how long will New Japan Pro Wrestling let him wrestle in TNA?

Owen was a great wrestler. I thought his mic skills were great during the attitude era. Playing the role of the perfect foil for the the likes of Stone Cold and the Rock, Owen is still one of my favorite wrestlers.

And he was not a nugget!

[quote name='slidecage']wasnt he the blue blazer or something.. and wasnt he a few others??

why did he become the blue blazer[/QUOTE]

Slidecage, did you read the post by Horsey? He stated that Owen did the Blue Blazer gimmick so that when he started out people didn't associate him with his brother from the start of his career.

Doesn't explain why WWE stuck him with that terrible gimmick in '99, though.

It would be interesting to know where Owen would be today in the wrestling landscape. He was a good worker, although not as good as Bret, but had more charisma and speaking skills. I do feel he's been rather overrated since his death, though.

I just hope we all didn't forget that Owen was also "The King of Harts" after winning the King of the Ring tournament in 1994.

Two questions about that Owen pic:

1) What title is on his right arm, underneath the European title?

2) What the blue blazes (!!) is that black blob behind Owen?

[quote name='mykevermin']Two questions about that Owen pic:

2) What the blue blazes (!!) is that black blob behind Owen?[/QUOTE]

im pretty sure its the intercontinental title if memory serves to be right as for the black blob behind owen... mark henry?

[quote name='AdamInPlaidum']Has Kurt Angle had a topic? God damn he is awesome.

"Rey, you are a boy in a man's world, and I'm a man who likes to play with boys...wait!"[/QUOTE]
Yes actually, http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46570&highlight=wrestling

And you have the 1st post in it too, go figure.

I was at Target today after failing at BB and saw a Steve Blackman real scan figure mixed in w/ the classic series, didn't buy it, but I did get a good laugh.

I still remember the night he died. I was working the photo section at Winn-Dixie and my friends, who were watching the ppv, came up to my work to break the news. Definitely a sad day in wrestling history.

[quote name='kittie'] I do feel he's been rather overrated since his death, though.[/QUOTE]

I would agree with that. A terrible loss though.

Nice selection, but you would've probably done better with a picture that wasn't taken from Raw magazine. I remember the specific article, "Is Yokozuna the next member of the Hart foundation?", hence the huge shadow behind him.

//edit: Ha, that actually answers Myke's question. I'll try to get a picture of the article.

[quote name='kittie']Doesn't explain why WWE stuck him with that terrible gimmick in '99, though.

It would be interesting to know where Owen would be today in the wrestling landscape. He was a good worker, although not as good as Bret, but had more charisma and speaking skills. I do feel he's been rather overrated since his death, though.[/QUOTE]

I often wonder that as well, Owen was obviously WCW bound when his contract expired, so he would've been somewhat displaced after WCW folded. As good as Owen may have been, I don't think anyone could've prevented WCW's eventual demise. So, after that he may have returned to the WWE, it's really hard to say, who knows maybe even Bret would be back. I'm almost certain Bret would still have a passion for wrestling if Owen was still with us, perhaps the two of them would be in TNA right now.

I'll be watching football most likely tonight. I may pop into the chat later. Egales and Falcons were fighting in pre-game so this ought to be good.

[quote name='guyver2077']damn my xbox live is acting gay... been trying to sign on since raw started[/QUOTE]

I don't think that RAW chat is going on. I just signed on and no one seemed to be on.

Is there a RAW chat going on after all? If so, I'll try it again in a short while.

Pretty cool to see that Trish recovered OK. Although, she better be careful. I cringed when Torrie kicked her in the back (where she was injured) with a HEEL. Damn! She needs to watch it.

Daniel Puder has been released from WWE.

Puder won last season’s Tough Enough competition on SmackDown and was awarded a one-year guaranteed contract with a three year option. This past week, Puder’s contract expired and WWE declined to exercise the option on the additional three years.

THIS SUCKS ASS!!!

Quickie edition of Saucy Jack's rasslin' news, brought to you by...

The Super Limited Edition Xbox Green Rubberband. Ask anyone from the XBL RAW chat for details.

SEAN WALTMAN MISSING

As noted yesterday, Sean Waltman no-showed the TNA PPV last night. We're told that TNA officials had talked to him on the phone during the afternoon and he said he was running late and would be there in time for his match.

PWTorch.com reports that he went to his grandmothers house and took a shower and grabbed his in-ring gear. He left for the 90 minute drive to Orlando at about 6EST.

One source believes he made it to the arena but way too late for his match.

None of his family or friends have heard from him since yesterday afternoon.

I just looked at Rob Conway's entrance at PS2 IGN just for fun... and either there is incomplete sound in his entrance... or his entrance is 100% realistic. Check it out...

I really hope 'Pac is okay. I actually like the guy, I hope they don't find him on the side of the road dead or something. It's really strange he'd no-show that, especially when he needs the money.. and he doesn't really have a history of no-showing, does he?

[quote name='JimmieMac']'Pac can never be okay, he's had sex with Chyna.[/QUOTE]
That dude sucked her dick! Eww, that was the grossest shit I ever seen.

[quote name='mykevermin']Two questions about that Owen pic:

2) What the blue blazes (!!) is that black blob behind Owen?[/QUOTE]
It's the IC title and I have no idea.

[quote name='kittie']Doesn't explain why WWE stuck him with that terrible gimmick in '99, though.

It would be interesting to know where Owen would be today in the wrestling landscape. He was a good worker, although not as good as Bret, but had more charisma and speaking skills. I do feel he's been rather overrated since his death, though.[/QUOTE]
I remember hearing that Vince had asked him to do the Blazer gimick cause he liked it and Owen was infavor of doing it. So basically they had nothing for him so just throw him in the shuffle like they do with so many guy like Christian.

And honestly he would have never made it out of mid card status if he had lived in Vinces' eyes he was no Bret and would have just hovered in and out of IC and europen championship recognition.

[quote name='guyver2077']Daniel Puder has been released from WWE.

Puder won last season’s Tough Enough competition on SmackDown and was awarded a one-year guaranteed contract with a three year option. This past week, Puder’s contract expired and WWE declined to exercise the option on the additional three years.

THIS SUCKS ASS!!![/QUOTE]
Acttualy his contract runs out in Dec, but they wanted him to go down to Atl and train. He decided not to and got a buy out, and is more interested in Mixed Marital Art competition.

[quote name='guyver2077']Daniel Puder has been released from WWE.

THIS SUCKS ASS!!![/QUOTE]

I'm disappointed at your lack of marking for Cade and Murdoch..

[quote name='Scorch']I'm disappointed at your lack of marking for Cade and Murdoch..[/QUOTE]

Scorch! How can you not mark out for that man! Look at him! A perfect physical specimen!

SMACKDOWN! SPOILERS BELOW

[quote name='ProWrestling.com']
The show starts out with Benoit vs. Jordan with interference by Booker T & Christian.
Teddy Long turns the match into a tag.

Booker T and Chris Benoit def. Orlando Jordan and Christian.

Animal and Heidenreich def. MNM.

GM Long and the Network guy announce Eddie Gurrero as the #1 Contender for the world championship. He tells Batista that he respects him and that they are going to be best friends. Eddie goes for a handshake, and Batista says, “friends don't shake hands....they hug," they embrace for a hug as Eddie looks bewildered.

Randy Orton and Orton are seen with a U-Haul, saying it will guarantee his victory.

Ken Kennedy gets a ton of heat when he asks what that smell is on Josh Matthews, and he says it doesn’t smell like cologne, but like Arkansas. This got the crowd really worked up.

Ken Kennedy beats unannounced wrestler (bald guy with black and blue tights - didn't recognize him) with his usual finisher. Crowd was really into this guy. He got more of a reaction than expected.

Nunzio complains about not being on the show even though he is the champ, so the network guy (with help from Eddie Gurrero) makes a match with Nunzio vs. Batista

Rey Mysterio def. JBL when JBL missed the clothesline from hell and Mysterio did a splash off the ropes for the pin

JBL recruits Julie? (girl with burn on her face) to join his team.

Undertaker vs. Randy Orton is the main event. During the match, Bob Orton backs a U-HAUL up to the ring, opens it, and rolls a casket out. Match goes long. Both men are out by the casket, and it opens up to reveal a lifelike Undertaker lying dead in the casket. This really was disturbing to the crowd and to me personally. Match goes back and forth, ref bump, RKO on Undertaker, Bob Orton brings out a ref and they count but Undertaker kicks out. Undertaker pins Randy with a chokeslam. Then gives Orton a tombstone and the original ref. and gets the pin.
[/QUOTE]

END SPOILERS

I went to the Best Buy in Riverside, California, last night. It is one of a handful of BB's to sell used games. They had only maybe 25 titles, none of interest, except for one- WWF Raw for the Sega Genesis. I love that game but had never owned it. I had satisfied my 16 bit rasslin' fix by playing Royal Rumble on my Genesis. Needless to say, I picked up Raw for that price, complete with case and manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back