Dear god I LOVE Japan!

Gameboy415

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
So as anyone who happened to read my last couple'a posts knows, I'm currently living in Japan and working as an assistant English Teacher.

The game stores over here are AMAZING. 98.7% of the used games you find here are in ABSOLUTE PERFECT condition.
We're talking boxes, instructions, spine card, you name it.
And everything is DIRT CHEAP!

So anyways, I hit up a game store with the g/f last night (how cool is THAT?!) and I scored some AMAZING games I've been DYING to play for next to nothing!
Here's the list:

Sin & Punishment for N64 - BRAND NEW - 1280 Yen
Tobal 2 for PS1 - Used, no spine card but otherwise perfect - 280 yen (!!!)
Mario & Wario for Super Famicom - BRAND NEW - 500 Yen
DDR for Gameboy Color (W/GBC DANCE CONTROLLER!) - Used, but complete - 280 yen

Altogther it was 2340 Yen, or about $25 USD!

I was wicked happy! I just know I'm going to stumble on a treasure trove (no pun intended!) of "Radiant Silverguns" one of these days...... Hahahha!

Later today I'ma go score me a new GBA Micro (Famicom version! WOO!) and Dr Mario & Panel De Pon (TETRIS ATTACK ON GBA! FINALLY!!!!!).

Then tomorrow I'ma get the Final Fantasy Advent Children LE Box,

and last, but CERTAINLY not least is this weekend:

TOKYO (FRIGGIN) GAME SHOW!

I'm actually going! I get to play all the new games and systems and stuff and see whatever Nintendo reveals about the Revolution!

I CAN'T WAIT!

Hope things are going well back in the 'states and I hope there's some decent deals/sales going on to keep y'all happy!

Yep, you'll be finding deals left and right over there. Every day was a new adventure in shopping for me when I was living in Nagasaki. Enjoy!

Weird, I thought it was illegal to sell used games/other stuff there. Nice deals. A yen is like a penny, right?

Nice get on Sin and Punishment. It is the only rom I have, because I know there is essentially no other way that I would get to play it.

[quote name='Tromack']Nice get on Sin and Punishment. It is the only rom I have, because I know there is essentially no other way that I would get to play it.[/QUOTE]

Ditto, that and Evangelion 64, can't believe it was never released in the US :shock:

Nice find on the DDR game for Gameboy Color. I have 3 of them and they are a lot of fun.

[quote name='froinlaven']Weird, I thought it was illegal to sell used games/other stuff there. Nice deals. A yen is like a penny, right?[/QUOTE]

It used to be. Some imports I have actually have a No Resale sign printed on the box. Around 2 years ago (give or take a year) they changed the law and now used games can be sold in Japan

[quote name='froinlaven']Weird, I thought it was illegal to sell used games/other stuff there. Nice deals. A yen is like a penny, right?[/QUOTE]

I think it IS illegal to resell SOME games actually.

I noticed on the back of Sin & Punishment there was a box that said "DO NOT RESELL" or something to that effect.

Wacky.

Also, I usually consider 100 yen to be about 1 USD, but the current exchange rate is 109.91 yen to 1 USD, so 1 yen is a little less than a penny right now, but its still pretty close.

[quote name='crazytalkx']Ditto, that and Evangelion 64, can't believe it was never released in the US :shock:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, tell me about it! I imported Evangelion 64 a few years back for like $90 off ebay and I saw it at a game store here for like 1600 yen (about $18). ARGH! :shock:

Man I hate that! Japan gets all the cool stuff first. It like the kid at school who buys the latest and greatest but then can't afford clothes.

Im mighty jealous, everything should be like Japan.

[quote name='dtarasev']It like the kid at school who buys the latest and greatest but then can't afford clothes.[/QUOTE]

Dear god........you just summed up my childhood in one sentence...... :shock:

[quote name='Gameboy415']...Later today I'ma go score me a new GBA Micro (Famicom version! WOO!) and Dr Mario & Panel De Pon (TETRIS ATTACK ON GBA! FINALLY!!!!!)...[/QUOTE]

Tetris Attack?!?!?!?

How much was it?

How much was the GBA Micro Famicom?

Oh yea I forgot cheapy is in Japan too.
I hate him too for being there.
Of course I dont hate also because he made this site.

Also you should've got it!

[quote name='CheapyD']I saw Rez in a store yesterday for 680 yen and the trance vibrator was 480 yen.
Thats like $6/$4[/QUOTE]

Now you're just being cruel.

[quote name='CheapyD']I'll probably have to pick up Winning Eleven 9 for PSP this week.[/QUOTE]

:D

[quote name='YoshiFan1']It used to be. Some imports I have actually have a No Resale sign printed on the box. Around 2 years ago (give or take a year) they changed the law and now used games can be sold in Japan[/QUOTE]
Nah, that "no resale" label has been there for a long time, and has been ignored by used game stores in Japan for an equally long time.

[quote name='Gameboy415']I was wicked happy! I just know I'm going to stumble on a treasure trove (no pun intended!) of "Radiant Silverguns" one of these days...... Hahahha![/QUOTE]

I'm so tracking you down if you actually do find this game over there for cheap. My understanding is that it's pretty pricey even in Japan these days. Nice score on the other stuff though, Sin & Punishment is worth the $25 alone.

I think i'm in the minority of gamers in that I wouldn't mind visiting Japan, and spending a LOT of money while I was there, but I wouldn't want to live there.

One day, I'm gonna go to Japan, and I'm gonna buy a Japanese PS2. I'm then gonna buy all the cool Japanese PS/PS2 games that never came out here (Tobal 2, Yoshinuya Beef Bowl), some DC/Saturn games, and some of that random Japanese gaming stuff you can't get here.

I have a friend in Miyama who's doing the teaching thing, and has for 5 years now, who's spotted me a japanese psp for $100US. and 1gig MSDuo cards for $40US. gonna be a good x-mas for me this year. hehe

A friend of mine was supposed to be teaching English in Japan starting last year but I haven't heard anything from him since then. Anyways, nice finds OP!

[quote name='nullboy']there is ddr for game boyu?!?!?!?! why didnt anyone telll meee!! u should sell me your copy when ur through lol[/QUOTE]

You can get it on EBay and sometimes get a good price for it. Not as cheap as Japan but I picked up the first game with the dancepad for around $20. Not only was there DDR for Gameboy but there is also Pop N Music and Beatmania. Both are also fun games.

sort of reminds me when i was in Hong Kong I could easily pick up collector's edition of Xenosaga and Wild Arms 3 easily. Most of the used games are in great shape too.

[quote name='vietgurl']oh darnit, i should have been born japanese :whistle2:(

i must go to japan one day[/QUOTE]

you should be more assertive, like eisenhower. "I shall go to Japan!"

For any CAGs in Japan, I have a small request. If you happen come across a copy of the Valkyrie Profile OST in some used game or music store, could you send me a PM? I've been trying to find a copy for some time. It's out of print and the chances of me finding an import store that caries it are slim. I've looked online and the only copies I've been able to find are bootlegs. Thanks for any help.

I would like to say that I would like to travel to Japan, but I would like to know a little of the language first.

Wish I was in Japan so I could snag a copy of Fire Pro Wrestling Returns at a decent price. Last time I was there I didn't really go all out (Checked out a lot of the arcades and grabbed a Copy of Minna Daisuki Katamari Damacy & Rez). I basically did a lot of sight-seeing in Tokyo and Kyoto; probably my favorite trip of all time. I'll go back one day but I'd like to learn a bit more Japanese till then.

Damned it... I'd give up drinking for Radiant Silvergun.. for a whole week or something.

I'd like to go barhopping in Japan (if that is possible)... not only for the ladies, but also to witness the whole "Japanese Karaoke Thing" in full force while slammed.

[quote name='Skylander7']Damned it... I'd give up drinking for Radiant Silvergun.. for a whole week or something.

I'd like to go barhopping in Japan (if that is possible)... not only for the ladies, but also to witness the whole "Japanese Karaoke Thing" in full force while slammed.[/QUOTE]

dude, if you come to auburn on a gameday i'll show you an even better karaoke thing. i rock out, of course, with my cock out.

[quote name='CheapAssMom']Tetris Attack?!?!?!?

How much was it?

How much was the GBA Micro Famicom?[/QUOTE]

I actually wasn't able to go last night, had to stay late at work. The Tetris Attack (Panel De Pon)/Dr. Mario game is only 2000 yen (about $20) and the Famicom Micro is gonna be about 12800 yen (about $120ish). I'm pretty sure the tetris Attack/Dr. Mario 2-pack was announced for the US, but its going to be an updated Pokemon Puzzle League. I think I heard the Euro version will be Tetris Attack tho. I'ma get all 3! :lol:

[quote name='CheapyD']I saw Rez in a store yesterday for 680 yen and the trance vibrator was 480 yen.
Thats like $6/$4[/QUOTE]

Dayum. I unfortunately left my US copy back home so I should pick up the Japanese one/trance vibe and play it with my g/f ;)

[quote name='Querjek']Hey Gameboy415, is your copy of Mario and Wario the small-box version or the big box one, with a mouse?[/QUOTE]

Its in a normal Super Famicom box, I was unaware of a big box version. But I have my Mario Paint mouse back home so I'm not too worried.

[quote name='js1']Do many japanese game have english menus? or subtitles?[/QUOTE]

Not really. But many games have English voice acting! I picked up the 3D Altered Beast game for PS2 and the entire story (cutscenes/voice acting) is COMPLETELY in English! WOO! I hear Kingdom Hearts Final Mix has all english voices too, gotta find a copy.....

Keep the questions coming kids! It keeps me entertained during my MANY breaks at work! :lol:

Thanks to Gameboy I would have never known Tetris Attack was available. I have to import that, the GCN puzzle pack thingy game, and a freeloader now.

Not to mention that jump something or other anime game.

[quote name='js1']Do many japanese game have english menus? or subtitles?[/QUOTE]

Most of the Bemani games (DDR, Beatmania, Pop N Music, Guitar Freaks etc) from Konami are 90%+ in English. They are very import friendly. I wish all imports were like that

Well this thread had me load up this song on the ipod.

I got your picture of me and you
You wrote "I love you" I wrote "me too"
I sit here staring and there's nothing else to do
Oh it's in color
Your hair is brown
Your eyes are hazel
And soft as clouds
I have to kiss you when there's no one else around

I got your picture, I got your picture
I'd like a million of you over myself
I want a doctor to take a picture
So I can look at you from inside as well