Sony issues recall on some PStwo slim power supplies

From here: http://www.us.playstation.com/Adaptor/

PLAYSTATION®2 (MODEL # SCPH-70011 and 70012) AC ADAPTOR REPLACEMENT PROGRAM

Please note: This program does not apply to the PSone or the PSP systems.

Sony Computer Entertainment America, in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product and Safety Commission, is voluntarily replacing PlayStation 2 (Model# SCPH-70011 and 70012) AC Adaptors (SCPH-70100) manufactured by Hipro Electronics free of charge. The affected AC Adaptors were packaged with the SCPH-70011 and 70012 models of the PlayStation®2 entertainment system sold after October 2004. Only AC Adaptors manufactured by Hipro Electronics identified with a serial number that begins with the prefix ”F3” within a certain date range are included in this replacement program.

To verify whether or not your PlayStation 2 console requires a replacement AC Adaptor, you will need the following information:

PlayStation 2 model number
PlayStation 2 barcode number
AC Adaptor Manufacturer
AC Adaptor Date of Manufacture
If you would like assistance locating this information on your PlayStation 2 and AC Adaptor, please click here.

For additional information and to see a list of FAQ’s, please click here.

To check on the status of an order, please click here.

If you are unable to locate the required information on your PlayStation 2 and AC Adaptor, please click here.

[quote name='Ziv_Zulander']I'm a little confused.

My PSTwo model# is SCPH-70001 but my AC Adaptor is made by Hipro, do I need a replacement?[/QUOTE]
no it won't as it doesn't fall into the 11-12 SCPH number.. and also I hear these are for models made/sold from Oct. 2004- July 2005 so i'm sure you're good.

[quote name='Starky27']I'm in the PStwo serial range, but my adapter was made by Delta Electronics thankfully...[/QUOTE]
ditto

" * Overview
* Verify Information
* FAQs
* Check Order Status

Thank you for your placing your free PlayStation 2 AC Adaptor replacement order. Please allow 7 – 10 business days for order processing into our system. Orders will be delivered within 2 - 4 weeks estimated (not including shipping and handling time) from the time of order submission.

Please unplug and discontinue use of your PlayStation 2 AC Adaptor until your replacement AC Adaptor arrives. Do not dispose of your current AC Adaptor as SCEA would like you to send your AC Adaptor to us. All return information as well as paid for shipping will arrive with your replacement order."

So I'm not supposed to play my PS2 for 1 1/2 months?

Asshats.

I shouldn't have to buy my own powercord now, I should get a comp number or something.

Does anyone know the adverse effects of continuing to use the cord?

My letter to Sony:

I have submitted an order online, and talked with a representative online.

I feel it is unreasonable to, as you state, "Please unplug and discontinue use of your PlayStation 2 AC Adaptor until your replacement AC Adaptor arrives." considering that: "Please allow 7 – 10 business days for order processing into our system. Orders will be delivered within 2 - 4 weeks estimated (not including shipping and handling time)"

I'm not supposed to play my PS2 for A MONTH AND A HALF!

That's crap.

I did not spend $199 on my PS2 to have a shiny paperweight. Just this week, I bought God of War, Katamari Damacy, and Killer 7. (another $100 wasted)Now you're telling me I shouldn't play them for a month. I'm seriously considering taking my fire hazard PS2 and my 20+ games and trading them in at Gamestop for a XBOX 360 preorder now. I was going to wait for the PS3 to debut before I decided on which next-gen console, but with customer "service" like this.....I don't know.

Yeah, I know I can be a whiny bitch,,,but c'mon, a month and a half??

Relax, the games arent going anywhere. They'll still be playable when you get your new adapter so the money you spent on them isn't "wasted". Now eat your cookies and milk and stop crying sweetheart. Momma will rub your tummy and sing you a song before bedtime...

[quote name='bmulligan']Relax, the games arent going anywhere. They'll still be playable when you get your new adapter so the money you spent on them isn't "wasted". Now eat your cookies and milk and stop crying sweetheart. Momma will rub your tummy and sing you a song before bedtime...[/QUOTE]

:applause:

The better swipe at Sony would be to ask if this faulty AC adpter has potentially damaged my slim PS2 and shouldn't I get an extended warranty becuase of it? If it was deffective enough to overheat and cause a fire, couldn't it have potentially surged my PS2 with improper voltages or spikes? It's a possibility. I know if my slim starts to peter out I'll be questioning what else may have been deffective in the unit.

[quote name='cyrix`']Is it weird that now pstwo's need adapter replacements just like xboxes had a while back[/QUOTE]

The difference is these PS2 cables have the transformer inline and that is the part that is prone to fault (if made from a particular manufacturer). The Xbox cord swap was triggered by the actual power supply inside the Xbox being faulty. It was cute of MS to not mention this to anyone and instead blamed the cord itself, which was just a couple of insulated wires.

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']Ziv and Zing, where are your avatars from? I like them.[/QUOTE]

Mine is from a Magic: The Gathering card called "Psychatog". It was one of the most loved/hated cards back when I sold off my collection.

[quote name='grae60']haha, they actually think I'm going to send my old cord back to them.[/QUOTE]

Actually, if you go back and read the instructions, you're supposed to keep your cord and only send them the AC adaptor.

[quote name='grae60']haha, they actually think I'm going to send my old cord back to them.[/QUOTE]
Wow, u stoled a cord! u b soooo kool0rz!

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']Ziv and Zing, where are your avatars from? I like them.[/QUOTE]

Japanese hero show called "Mahou Sentai MagiRanger"

Wow first the Micro@#$% recall on potentially lethal gaming machines, now S#@y too!!! It sounds to me like N@%tendo has got a few insiders working for them. HA! Just kidding! :)

I got a slim PS2 about a little after Christmas last year and never had any problems with it until today. I plug it in, and nothing turns on or works. I just found out about this adapter BS and am wondering if this could be the problem. Any suggestions? Oh and I did fill out the form for a new adapter and they say they will send a new one, however I just want to make sure.

I just got my replacement adapter today, it's used and it smells like it came from someone who smoked tons of menthol cigarettes.

[quote name='doomlv20']I just got my replacement adapter today, it's used and it smells like it came from someone who smoked tons of menthol cigarettes.[/QUOTE]

:? I really hope that was an awful attempt at a joke, because I am pretty sure they wouldn't send out used adaptors...

answered the email on the 16th. Got the adaptor on the 23rd. Oooooh, I'm so mad that all those games I bought were wasted becuase I couldn't use my PS2 for a week. Sony sucks- give me $200 you bastards !

But seriously, I'm a little miffed that they expect me to drive to a UPS store to mail the old one back to them. I'll drop it off if I eventually pass one, but I'm not making a special trip.

Heh, I'm not sending back my old one at all. fuck em. Not worth my trouble to go to a UPS Store at all. I've never had to send back replacement power adapters for my printer or Xbox recalls, I'm not about to start with the PS2.

I think Sony must be doing this for liability reasons. If you end up using the adapter and your house burns down, you can't sue them becuase they told you not to use it and to return it.

Who knows, you'd think they'd rather save the cost of return shipping and just tell us to throw it away. Maybe there's hazardous materials in it and they can't just tell us to throw it away, although I don't see how a bunch of coiled wires could pose much of an environmental threat.

[quote name='coolsteel']Just got a replacement adaptor for my replacement adaptor, guess the first one they sent was defective .[/QUOTE]

me too, good god they want me to send the replacement back too.

[quote name='chakan']I also just got a replacement for my replacement power supply.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Good going Sony.

As much as I love their platforms and the games that come out on them, their QA has to be amongst the worst in the industry. Hence I never buy anything of theirs at launch anymore.

bread's done
Back