FF7 and why it sucks (spoilers for FFVI and FFVII)

Tromack

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Ok, I feel as if I'm the only one in the world, but I personally dislike FF7 a lot. I wouldn't hate it so much, but since almost everyone considers it to be the best final fantasy and rpg of all time, it strengthens my hatred. I will detail why FF7 is no good:
A) Shitty story line- The main character is plain old vanilla boring-ooh he's a clone, done before or ooh his past is a mystery (like every other fucking game)- and maybe its just me but Aeris dying didn't upset me that much. I was more upset when Leo died in FFVI because he kicked ass or when Tellah died in FFIV because he kicked ass. And finally because nothing that you do after Aeris dies affects the final outcome of the story except for Sephiroth dying. I.e. she touched the damn materia, so the meteor still would have hit, holy would still have failed, and the planet would have still kicked the meteor's ass. And Sephiroth was a terrible villain, I mean crashing a meteor in to a planet to absorb the energy that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. And he was a clone, too? I mean come on, people bitch at George Lucas for having lame ass clones and so too they should bitch at FFVII. In my day villains were either evil incarnate (FFIV, FFV, Chrono Trigger, FFIX) or kicked extreme ass to get to the top (FFVI) or made no sense (FFVIII, FFIX).
B) The materia system is perhaps the second worst FF system of all time. I mean besides Limit Breaks, which character you choose doesn't affect how the battles play in any way. I mean FFVI was awesome, if I wanted to steal I had to have Locke, if I wanted to kick some ass Street Fighter style I had to have Sabin, if I wanted to drill someone's ass I had to have Edgar. And to combat the criticisms of other systems I will detail why they are better than the Materia system. FF2 is worse than FF7. FFIV, while boring, at least had differentiation in characters. FFV, while it allowed you to form your characters' abilities you still had to early on what you wanted them to do i.e. you couldn't just take the abilities and swap them to someone else. FFVI ruled. FFVIII, while the draw system system is kind of shitty, noone ever claims it is better than FFVII so it should not stand up to such high standards. FFIX's system is a little bland, but still better than VII. FFX totally ruled, and while it is possible to make a character just like another one it takes a lot of work.
C) Some other stuff that I can't really think of right now.
But anyway, I want to know if anyone else shares any of the same views as me, or if everyone hates me.

I don't consider VII to be the best in the series, but it was still good. FFIII/VI was one of my favorites, and X was also very good. I just consider VII different than the others, yet still good.

I know I should have put spoilers in the title, but I figured if anyone hadn't known that Aeris dies by this point in time (about 8 years after the game has come out) then they are either a) living under a rock because I have seen the Aeris spoiler thing talked about as common knowledge for about 4 years or b) too dense to remember it if they ever play the game.

You aren't the only one that thinks FF7 sucks. I'm not sure if I agree with you on all points - I've got too much of a headache to read your post - but, rest assured, I thought FF7 was really poor and was appalled by the critical acclaim that it received.

[quote name='Tromack']I know I should have put spoilers in the title, but I figured if anyone hadn't known that Aeris dies by this point in time (about 8 years after the game has come out) then they are either a) living under a rock because I have seen the Aeris spoiler thing talked about as common knowledge for about 4 years or b) too dense to remember it if they ever play the game.[/quote]

Well, consider me living under a rock, because I was just about to play the game for the first time next week. It's not only that point, you listed a bunch of other deaths from other games too.

Frankly, it seems the things you dont like about it are personal opinions and not particularly disliked by the majority of the people who played it.

It wasnt perfect but it wasnt all bad.

Ok, I get it I'm a bad person for not putting spoilers in the title. But anyway, its not that it is really such a bad game, but no other game I know of has such a high crap to post-release enthusiasm ratio.

ff vii ushered in the era of graphics whores. it was the fmv that had everybody going goo goo ga ga. ff viii was much better than vii. ix sucked ass.

i agree with Tromack, the game is junk and people liked it cause it was one of the first RPGs to have a cinematic feel to it or whatever. and people ride Squaresoft's dick all day long.

but since almost everyone considers it to be the best final fantasy and rpg of all time, it strengthens my hatred.

So you hate the game because a lot of people like it. I think your hatred is misplaced, and this thread is shit.

Do any CAG's NOT love to bash popular and critically-acclaimed games?

I felt FF VII was a good game (it was my first RPG and I realize that gives it more points). It wasn't as bad as you guys make it out to be, and I personally think the newer games (X and X-2) are not nearly as good.

[quote name='C_A']That's how the whole FF7 hating started 7 years ago. "They like it so I don't."[/quote]

Well, fanboys are generally annoying, so what do you expect?

I liked it. I didn't love it, though. It was a so-so game, and not my first Final Fantasy like it was for the majority of the lovers. I do wish people would shut up about it, though, because it does in fact ruin alot of it for me. People have done the same thing to me with anime, they just keep going on and on and on about it.. so it wears it out.

Hey, I love a lot of games that people like. In fact most games other people like, I like too because there is usually a reason why they like them. But when they have a slavish "This is the best game ever" for a game that I find to be slightly above average, and they are too narrow minded to go out and play a better game, i.e. FFVI, then it pisses me off.

I think the reason I liked FFVII so much was because it was such a huge change in the series. It also really made you care about the characters, but i do believe one thing is true. If FFVII was released later in the life of the Next Gen systems after some other RPGs, the game probably wouldn't have been everyones favorite. But for that reason i think that is why FF7 is so popular, it was the first RPG on a next gen and it was able, through the use of CGI's, to reproduce a certain amount of character development and personal relationships with the characters. It actually made you care about the characters, i mean when aeris died that was the first video game i actually felt really really bad about i just remember being in complete dismay that she died. After she died it put this hate in you for Seph. and you wanted to finish the job. It sort of felt like you were part of the family. That is why FF7 is one of the best. I still consider X and VIII to be my favorites, i also liked 9 a whole bunch to

thats my two cents maybe i'm just a big geek but that's why i loved FF7

meynerd

[quote name='Scrubking'] but since almost everyone considers it to be the best final fantasy and rpg of all time, it strengthens my hatred.

So you hate the game because a lot of people like it. I think your hatred is misplaced, and this thread is shit.[/quote]

[-o< thank you, Scrubking. I feel exactly the same damn way.....

First time through the game, I didnt even finish it. Didn't really like it that much.

Played it all the way through a year or so later, and guess what? It's now one of my favorite games ever. Same thing happened with Zelda OOT....

In other words, maybe eveyrone should give it a second chance. Anyways, people love FFVII not because of any sum of its parts, but because they thoroughly enjoy it on all levels.

I don't mind it when people disagree with the majority, as long as they have acceptable reasons and explain themselves. What I do hate is when everyone jumps all over me after I say that Halo wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread. Poeple enjoy different games no matter how well they were made, no matter how many years they took to develop.

Personally I loved FFVII when it came out, but by far its not the "greatest game ever" that some tout it to be. There are many RPGs out there that are flat out better.

But what no one can deny was the impact the game had. Before FFVII there were fewer RPGs on the Playstation than we had fingers on one hand. The game showed publishers that linear RPGs can sell in America, thus we were blessed with a plethera of great games that followed in VIIs wake, including my all time fave Valkyrie Profile.

Love it or hate it at least admit it had an impact.

[quote name='mastershay']First time through the game, I didnt even finish it. Didn't really like it that much.

Played it all the way through a year or so later, and guess what? It's now one of my favorite games ever. Same thing happened with Zelda OOT....

In other words, maybe eveyrone should give it a second chance. Anyways, people love FFVII not because of any sum of its parts, but because they thoroughly enjoy it on all levels.

I don't mind it when people disagree with the majority, as long as they have acceptable reasons and explain themselves. What I do hate is when everyone jumps all over me after I say that Halo wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread. Poeple enjoy different games no matter how well they were made, no matter how many years they took to develop.[/quote]

My friend loaned me his copy of FF7 when I first got my PS2, and while I enjoyed the story and graphics, there was one thing that turned me off - the battle system. I personally enjoy real-time battles and pure turn-based battles (the latter more than the former), but I did not care for FF7's battles where you have to wait for your meter to fill up before mashing the buttons like mad. I only got a few hours into the game before abandoning it, and I might've given it a second chance if only my friend hadn't made the following comment when I returned the game to him: "Well, I guess RPG's aren't for everyone." Let's see, since I think that one game has a flaw, I automatically hate all other games in that genre? I have regarded FF7 fanboys differently ever since, and in disgust, I haven't touched FF7 again.

FF had left a bad taste in my mouth until the day I realized that FFX had pure turn-based battles. By then, it had become a GH, so I picked it up and actually enjoyed it. My hatred of FF7 has subsided some after all these years, so I may finally give it a second chance. Hopefully I can ignore the crappy battle system and stupid fanboys and try to enjoy the game.

I don't understand the love for Sephrioth.
They try to sell him as an evil badass through the entire game, but he just ends up coming off as a big mama's boy. Wow, he carries around a big sword. Wow, he kills a main character...
But HOW IN THE WORLD CAN HE BE A BADASS WHEN HE'S SO EFFEMINATE LOOKING AND CRIES TO HIS MOMMY THROUGHOUT THE GAME?

I mean, at least Kefka is a sadistic sort of insane instead of a whiny mama's boy.

FF VII is NOT the best game of all time...I do give it some kudos for bringing the series to 3d and all but, it is not the best...I find it annoying...I dont know why...I just do...I LOVED FFIX and I have no idea why...I just really liked the story and everything to do with it...I know what you mean about all these fanboys but not to like a game just because of the fanboys is stupid...Thats like not thinking Da Vinci was a amazing artist just because other people love him...its stupid and childish

[quote name='karmapolice620']Thats like not thinking Da Vinci was a amazing artist just because other people love him...its stupid and childish[/quote]

Not every comparison is an applicable analogy. Including that one. Leonardo da Vinci usually isn't fanboyed by annoying teenagers.

::Shakes head:: wow I never knew so many folks hated this game, I personally cant see how a game with such emotion and depth, can be such hated. If we should hate any game popular it should be Grand theft auto series, worst piece of garbage ever. FFVII made you step into CLouds shoes, and live his life....thats why he dident speak. greak game better then 8,9,X,X-2, and 11. I do have to say FF3 still reigns king. (FF67 was one of the first three rpg's i played, ohh yea SNES had teh BEST RPG's ever.

Shakes head:: wow I never knew so many folks hated this game, I personally cant see how a game with such emotion and depth, can be such hated.

Probably because it's hackneyed and cliched, has characters with no real depths, values style over substance, and generally lacks the more likely or interesting characters that the earlier ones had. Not to mention that people are sick of hearing people say it is the greatest game ever made.. despite all of it's glaring problems.

If we should hate any game popular it should be Grand theft auto series, worst piece of garbage ever.

When people keep saying that is the greatest game ever made for about 5 years, people will.

FFVII made you step into CLouds shoes, and live his life....thats why he dident speak.

Nope, Cloud speaks rather frequently... you're just trying to make his lack of character sound grandious. Here's a link to the full script of the first disk of FF7.... there is an great deal of dialog there for someone who supposedly didn't speak.

http://www.kuponut.com/index.html?i....kuponut.com/games/ff7/game_script_disc1.html

greak game better then 8,9,X,X-2, and 11.

First, 11 is a MMORPG. Only an idiot bothers to compare it to the other games in the series. I was more interested in many of the other characters in the later Final Fanatasy games than anyone in 7.
It's a good game, perhaps a great game. But the greatest game ever? Never in a million years.

FF67 was one of the first three rpg's i played, ohh yea SNES had teh BEST RPG's ever.

Way to further make yourself look like an ignorant teenage fanboy...

bread's done
Back