- - - - -

Need help deciding on an Mp3 player.

#31 Xtreme331   CAG, M.D. CAGiversary!   670 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 04:37 AM

Get an iPod for Free!

Why waste the money? Get it for free!

#32 Gregory Kimball   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   254 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Gregory Kimball

Posted 18 September 2005 - 04:44 AM

Okay, here are a few decent flash players to consider.

http://www.amazon.co...ronics&v=glance

Ahh. The iPod shuffle. Definitely not the best value, but if you want something that's simple and easy to use, it's something to consider.

Rio makes some decent flash players, and Amazon seems to have this one at a decent price.

I own one of these myself, and would recommend it. It's very thin, and is about the size of a credit card.

There's not much to say about this one... But iAudio makes quality products.

http://www.walmart.c...44:133251:96469

The mobiBLU cube has been getting a lot of attention recently, so I might as well include it. The controls might be a little hard to operate, considering the unit's size.

#33 Gregory Kimball   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   254 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Gregory Kimball

Posted 18 September 2005 - 04:45 AM

Get an iPod for Free!

Why waste the money? Get it for free!

Shut up and stop spamming.

#34 redgopher   is dead CAGiversary!   2497 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 04:46 AM

Overpriced and overhyped. Bottom line.

You're full of shit. Have you ever used one for an extended period?

Get an iPod nano. Or be a loser. I don't care.

#35 Gregory Kimball   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   254 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Gregory Kimball

Posted 18 September 2005 - 04:57 AM

You're full of shit. Have you ever used one for an extended period?

Get an iPod nano. Or be a loser. I don't care.

iPods have fewer features than their competitors, yet cost as much or even more. But they receive more attention than all other DAPs combined. Overpriced and overhyped.

How can you order the OP to purchase an iPod nano without any reason or justification, and then tell somebody else that they're full of shit?

#36 Xtreme331   CAG, M.D. CAGiversary!   670 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 05:27 AM

Shut up and stop spamming.

No. I like the iPod and feel that everyone should have the chance to get one for free. If you don't like it, keep your mouth shut and go bother someone else.

The OP wanted help with an mp3 player, and i feel the iPod is a great choice, despite his reluctance to hear about them. With a little work and determination anyone can get one for free. For someone with a little patience and maturity it's a perfectly reasonable option. If you don't agree with me, fine, but keep it to yourself.

As far as flash players, the iPod Nano is available through the link i posted earlier. Very small. Very easy to use. Very cool. Great storage (4 or 2 GB).

Out of the two the OP posted, I'd say go with the Philips. Bigger drive for only a little bit more cash. I'd still prefer an iPod, but that's me. Good luck with your search!

#37 I D 10 T   Banned Banned   98 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

I D 10 T

Posted 18 September 2005 - 05:47 AM

The headphone jack problem isn't really your main concern with a Zen mp3 player; although apparantly, they all suffer from it :-\ (if you don't believe me, go to creative.com and ask the boards).

The Zen mp3 players have the best sound (As good as a high end stereo system!), and.... That's about it. Scrolling around is annoying as hell. You click once on something, then again to select it (Or, you can delete it accidentally if you're tired, yes, you can delete anything while on the mp3 player, how lovely if you let an asshole friend borrow it huh?).

There are other problems... I have owned a Zen Xtra for about half a year now... (The Zen line) is about a year old. The people who originally got it, and the Zen Touch, were promised support for Napster to go. ONE YEAR AGO.

It has never come, and Creative is still fucking people over, telling them it's on the way... Yeah fucking whatever (Check Creative.com boards for topics about this).

So why should you care about these slightly older models? For the simple reason that they are older. What happens when you model gets 6 months, or even 3 months, old, and something new comes out. Is Creative gonna pull this bullshit again?

#38 bobthegoat2001   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   362 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

bobthegoat2001

Posted 18 September 2005 - 06:28 AM

I've been looking for a new mp3 player too since my iriver h-140 died on me. I've been trying to find one that did most of the features of the h-140 (ogg support, no software required aka a mass storage device, about 40 gigs, fm radio and a line in/out).

So far the iAudio X5 looks good to me. That might be the one that I get right now unless some one else can find another one. Right now ogg support and large size are the biggest things I'm looking for along with it showing up as a mass storage device.

The biggest thing I see nagative about the X5 is the biggest one they have is 30 gigs and I wanted one to be at lest the same as my 40 gig iriver. One other thing that's not that big of a deal is (I think) that if you want mass storage support you have to have the cradle with you... you can't just bring a usb cable.

Although I heard rumors that iAudio is coming out with a 60 gig X5. If they are that whould most likely be the mp3 player for me.

Anybody else know of any ogg players out there that are about 40 gigs or bigger?

Oh, and ipod and sony are out of my vocabulary. Even if I got one free, I would sell it. When I buy an mp3 player I want features, not what looks "cool". Not because it's a fad. Redgopher even said it him-self "Get an iPod nano. Or be a loser." I like features, not becuase I don't want to look like a loser.

And yes ipods are overpriced if you compares features with any other mp3 players out there (except for maybe sony, which not until recently didn't even play mp3's, which they only played there crappy drm'ed atrac3 bs).

And I've never really like sony either. Just about everything I've bought from them has been poorly made and don't last long. And I don't like how they proporitise everything. For example right now SD is the standard (for the most part) for camera's pda's etc. But anything sony makes uses there own "memory stick" including the psp. Which is not to mention a lot more expensive.

So anywhy my post is getting way off topic. So I just end it with this, f#$k you apple and F#$k you sony.

PS: I almost forgot to say that if I were going to choose either of those first to that you listed I would get the philips, but I would still choose the iaudio those two and over creative and iriver. iRiver's H-100's and H-300's were good, but they don't sell those anymore. There new players suck (the biggest is 20 gigs and no ogg support, less features).

Please Note: I don't mean to offend anybody. If you like sony or apple and you enjoy there products, well good for you. Everybody has there own opinion's. These are just mine (don't steal them :) ).

#39 humidore   Pasha CAGiversary!   1880 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 06:43 AM

Which iRiver? The H320 is discontinued, the H10 lacks video support, the U10 is limited to 2GB, and iRiver's PMPs suck.

Mine was probably a case of extreme luck, but I stumbled on a post on misticriver.net (in their Bazaar section) selling a H320 for $250. The guy just got it back from iRiver so they could replace the battery, but it was a brand new unit instead, so even better. I'm not doing this to brag, but to let you know that there are avenues to acquire a H320 (and H340, but those will be much more expensive). Ebay is another way, just be careful and ask lots of questions to make sure about length of usage (for battey info), which firmware is on the unit, etc.

I love my H320 as I can finally have ALL my 50+ CD's in my pocket, as well as watch a South Park/Ali G episode on the train when I want. It's about an inch thick though, so it could be thinner, but considering what it can do (I have yet to use recording, but it's always there), I'm very happy.

If I didn't get a H320 though, I'd probably go for a Zen, as the price is unbeatable. The H10 almost got me, but I realised it was a stripped down (albeit smaller) H320.

#40 Gregory Kimball   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   254 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Gregory Kimball

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:15 PM

No. I like the iPod and feel that everyone should have the chance to get one for free. If you don't like it, keep your mouth shut and go bother someone else.

The OP wanted help with an mp3 player, and i feel the iPod is a great choice, despite his reluctance to hear about them. With a little work and determination anyone can get one for free. For someone with a little patience and maturity it's a perfectly reasonable option. If you don't agree with me, fine, but keep it to yourself.

Don't try pulling that bullshit on me. You gave the link to freeipods.com so you could get some referrals. I suppose that such a link would be acceptable in a signature, but your post contributed nothing to our discussion. Therefore, you were spamming.

#41 Gregory Kimball   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   254 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Gregory Kimball

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:22 PM

Although I heard rumors that iAudio is coming out with a 60 gig X5. If they are that whould most likely be the mp3 player for me.

Yes, iAudio will release the 60GB X5 soon. They had cancelled it, but apparently there were enough complaints that they decided to build it anyways.

Mine was probably a case of extreme luck, but I stumbled on a post on misticriver.net (in their Bazaar section) selling a H320 for $250.

Awesome. I'm also a member of misticriver.net, even though I don't own an iRiver. Don't ask me why.

#42 scdoanintendo   Nintendo = Gaming CAGiversary!   2208 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

scdoanintendo

Posted 18 September 2005 - 11:34 PM

Well I going to go with one of these

Zen Micro Photo
http://www.creative....4&product=14107

Philips go gear HDD6330
http://www.engadget....34000620056959/

Zen Vision
http://www.creative....4&product=12985

Cowon iAudio A2
http://www.engadget....34000380056108/

Anyone know of any firm release dates and/or prices for these players? Also any reviews, thanks.

#43 Chris Dillon   God Save The King CAGiversary!   2167 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Chris Dillon

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:27 AM

Well, im getting a 40 gig ipod very soon and am going to want to sell my iriver 120 if anyone is interested.

#44 nickmad   Electric Wizard CAGiversary!   1701 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:30 AM

ipod. no other choice. apple rules the market for a good reason.

on another note....lets hear it for Gregory Kimball and his amazing 1 million posts in one topic...:applause:

#45 Chris Dillon   God Save The King CAGiversary!   2167 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Chris Dillon

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:44 AM

any idea when the next gen of ipods is coming also. I dont want to buy one then next week there is a new ipod coming out.

#46 bobthegoat2001   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   362 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

bobthegoat2001

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:47 AM

on another note....lets hear it for Gregory Kimball and his amazing 1 million posts in one topic...:applause:

And that good reason is what?

#47 Chris Dillon   God Save The King CAGiversary!   2167 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Chris Dillon

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:52 AM

iriver is a better choice for alot of people. the extras like fm radio and voice recording is great. I just need better naviagation and a larger mp3 player.

#48 bobthegoat2001   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   362 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

bobthegoat2001

Posted 19 September 2005 - 02:32 AM

iriver is a better choice for alot of people. the extras like fm radio and voice recording is great. I just need better naviagation and a larger mp3 player.

The iAudio X5 has all the features of the iRiver h-300's plus a few other's (like flac support) and it looks like, according to Gregory Kimball, the 60 gig is coming out. So why not that one? It'll be the one that I'm most likely going to get.

I guess I also like being able to sort my music by folders that I make, not sorted out by id3 tag's. I normally like to sort by artist, but then when there are compilations with various artist's, id3's don't work. It'll just have one song in each artist.

Also when I sorted out my music with my h140 (with folders), I sorted it out like this [while "\" indicates a folder]

C\Cold\A Different Kind of Pain\01. Track One.ogg [with all songs listed]
K\KoRn\Follow the Leader\01. It's On!.ogg
S\System of a Down\Mesmerize\04. Cigaro.ogg
etc.

That way I dind't have to scroll through hundreds of albums. I chould just to to like S then go to System of a Down and Mesmerize.

And for soundtracks and compilations I just put them in a folder cold "- Compilations" and it would put that folder first.

But anyway I have a nasty habbit of getting off topic. Sorry about that.

#49 Gregory Kimball   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   254 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Gregory Kimball

Posted 19 September 2005 - 02:41 AM

Thank you very much. :D

And while I'm still on the subject of iPods, now is a really good time to puchase one from eBay. There are many in good condition for $170 or less.

#50 Gregory Kimball   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   254 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Gregory Kimball

Posted 19 September 2005 - 02:45 AM

any idea when the next gen of ipods is coming also. I dont want to buy one then next week there is a new ipod coming out.

Good question. Although there probably won't be any new product announcements for a couple of months (they did just release the iTunes phone and iPod nano), I suspect that a new iPod will be released sometime within the next few months. It's something that has to happen, in order to keep the product line fresh.

#51 huntlyon   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   24 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

huntlyon

Posted 19 September 2005 - 04:29 AM

love my damn iriver...H340

not a single complaint

#52 usickenme   I'm the a-hole CAGiversary!   2556 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

usickenme

Posted 19 September 2005 - 10:15 PM

iPods have fewer features than their competitors, yet cost as much or even more. But they receive more attention than all other DAPs combined. Overpriced and overhyped.

IMO, features aren't just tangible items one can tick off. The ease of use of the iPod and the integration with iTunes are worth more than an FM radio and recording. Along with size and look. Good design isn't free.

Rechargable Batteries can go either way as a plus and minus.

They generally cost as much or less than similar quality mp3 players.

The nanos are expensive but so is flash memory.

so ignorance is correct.

#53 iflabs   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   357 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 10:50 PM

Creative Zen Micro!

I do agree that Ipods are overrated. I'm walking around campus and everyone's carrying one of these ugly things. There are other MP3 players that are just as good, if not better.

#54 daikaiju   Bitter Old Man CAGiversary!   665 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 11:12 PM

Creative Zen Micro!

I do agree that Ipods are overrated. I'm walking around campus and everyone's carrying one of these ugly things. There are other MP3 players that are just as good, if not better.

Yes, there are better players out there. Iriver. This can't be repeated often enough. Iriver. Say it with me. Iriver.

After MUCH research when purchasing my player - the clear choice was the iriver.
First off, my iriver h320 has had the ability to view pictures since long before the ipod photo came out, in full color I might add. Add to that the fact that I can record directly to mp3 with either a line in or built in condensor mic....or off the built in FM tuner I might add...the damn thing reads txt files and .oggs as well (the superior audio format for those counting). But here's the REAL kicker. You can take all those other players and throw them in the shitcan, because here's the iriver coup - you connect the iriver to any pc with a usb port running xp, and it's instantly recognized as an external HD. No bullshit "sync" software, no proprietary crap - just an instant drive. Trust me, this can make all the difference in the world. You can take it anywhere and use it to swap files/music without having any extra crap involved - just plug and drag. Hell, you can play directories right off it using Winamp! Lets not forget the 10 hours a charge battery time, or the fact that it comes with a surprisingly good sounding set of Seinheisser(!) earbuds, and a nice soft leather case all for a sub $300 price point, and you've got a clear winner. Take in account that that price point was in January too, and they have since released even better designed and sexier models since then. Trust me. Iriver. I use mine RELIGIOUSLY, and DAILY, it has NEVER LET ME DOWN. I scoff at you ipod users. You truly are brainwashed. :P

#55 Chris Dillon   God Save The King CAGiversary!   2167 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Chris Dillon

Posted 19 September 2005 - 11:17 PM

See, i got the iriver for all those features but i never use any of them. I just want a mp3 player for my music. I love the scroll wheel and god dammit im tired of trying to explain why i dont have an ipod to my friends. I know its not up to them but its just a big god dam deal to them making fun of my h120 even though i know its better. Ill b picking up my ipod on release day and im jsut counting the days til i have to start using stupid itunes.

#56 bobthegoat2001   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   362 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

bobthegoat2001

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:57 AM

IMO, features aren't just tangible items one can tick off. The ease of use of the iPod and the integration with iTunes are worth more than an FM radio and recording. Along with size and look. Good design isn't free.

Rechargable Batteries can go either way as a plus and minus.

They generally cost as much or less than similar quality mp3 players.

The nanos are expensive but so is flash memory.

so ignorance is correct.

First off, your not really compairing apples with apples and oranges with oranges. All four of those things are completely different from each other. I don't think you can really say mines better because mine is intigrated with itunes and yours only records.

[Ease of Use]
I would say that this is the only aspect of the ipod that is pretty good. Although I think it also because the iPod has the least amount of features in it, so there's not much to learn on the iPod.

[iTunes]
iTunes I don't think is a feature. What I don't like about ipods is that you have to use iTunes with them to put your music on them. I don't like being forced in using a specific program to put music on my mp3 player. Most of all programs usually limit what you can put on your player (drm'd aac files) and when you can take your music back off. I like using any program I want to rip my music and not needing any software to put my music on my mp3 player (like iriver and iaudio).

I think buying albums isn't a good idea either. Why buy albums that are drm'd aac files at low 128 bitrate when you can buy the actual CD for the same price (or cheaper if you buy used).
- First cd's are, duh, cd quality.
- Second I can rip my cd into any format and any bitrate that I want (mp3, ogg, aac, flac, the list goes on) and play it on any mp3 player that I want; not just ipods. Plus cd's play on even old fashon cd players.
- And third when you buy the cd, you get the disc (which I use for backup), jewel case and a booklet. With itunes you just get the drm'd aac files.

[Size]
I think as long as you can stick the player in your pocket that's small enough. I'd still rather have more memory rather having a 1 gig credit card size mp3 player. I'd say I'd need at least 30 gigs (which is the bear minimum). But I would be a lot happier with 40 or 60 gigs. This is to me where more is always better.

[Looks]
This section is really a matter of opinion. Some people like the way ipods look. Some don't. So I'm not going to commet here.

[Cost]
Where you say ipods cost just as much or less, I just visited newegg.com and looked at few 20 gig mp3 players. And here's what I found (from cheapest to most expensive):

Archos Silver 20GB Pocket Music Player Model Gmini XS200 - $189.95
Creative White 20GB MP3 player Model Zen Touch 20GB - $206.99
Toshiba gigabeat Silver Acrylic 20GB MP3 Player Model MEGF20S - $249.99
iRiver Remix Blue 20GB Portable MP3 Player w/ 1.8" Vivid Color Display Model H10 - $269.99
Archos Silver 20GB Pocket Multimedia Center Model Gmini 402 - $289.99
Apple 20G iPod w/ Color Display Model MA079LL/A - $296.99
JetAudio iAudio X5 Black 20GB USB 2.0 Portable MPEG4 Player Model X5-20BL - $299.99

So it looks like to me cost of an ipod is as much or more than the rest.

#57 vherub   x CAGiversary!   3431 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 04:51 PM

i'd like to throw in a positive opinion for the x5, got the 30g from ecost when it was onsale for $300 and i really enjoy it. Sound quality is on par with ipods (maybe a little better from headphones/maybe a little worse lineout), build quality is high and files can be easily loaded (same as the iriver instant sync).
The negatives are the subpack is needed for recharging and for usb 2.0 file transfer (usb 1.1 on the dap itself), the video playback is easy to convert using their provided software but quality is nothing great and joystick navi system (i like it, but if you want the wheel look elsewhere).
What I really love about the x5 (and cowon) is the stream of firmware updates, adding all kinds of handy features and really responding to consumer feedback on what they want. Plus it plays flac and ogg vorbis and gets a solid 14hrs/charge.

#58 CYRiX   Banned Banned   2228 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:28 PM

ipod

#59 CYRiX   Banned Banned   2228 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:30 PM

k i guess i'll post my reason now:
If you were to buy a car would you buy a toyota pick up or a bmw z3?
Now replace the words toyota pickup with other mp3 players and bmw z3 with ipod.
It simply doinates the subject. I've also had great support for mine (without purchasing an extra warranty) even when I tried to install linux on it :D (4th gen btw)

#60 dpatel   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3749 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 11:44 PM

I have been looking at several MP3 players and finally decided on the gmini402.

http://www.archos.co...prw_500708.html

The problem is, you need to buy an accessory to play FM Radio on it. Other than that, it has everything you seem to be looking for. I like the horizontal style of it and the fact that it looks like a gaming machine. There are a few games that can be downloaded on it ($5.99 each) although most of them are pretty bad. It has 20GB of space and can play music and videos. Anyway, this one seems perfect for my needs so I thought I would share. Don't know if it has everything you need though. If you wait until next month (which I am) archos will be releasing a gmini402 with a camcorder integrated inside. Don't know how much more it will cost but it basically looks and feels the exact same but there is a camera inside the new one.

On the subject of iPods. IMO, they are good, but better MP3 players can be had for a cheaper price. From what I have seen, iPods have become more of a fashion statement rather than an MP3 player. I haven't owned one but I have used them before. I think the only plus is that they are extremely easy to use. Other than that, I don't see the big deal.