Problems opening links

Stargun007

CAGiversary!
I notice that whenever someone posts a link on this board and I try to open it, it always tries to redirect through another site (usually that qkserv thing). However, when this happens, the page I want never actually loads. I'm not quite sure what the problem is. I started using Mozilla, but I have had this problem for a while, when I still used IE. Any idea how I can fix this, guys?

Maybe you have some kind of super pop-up blocker that thinks any new windows opened are unwanted pop-ups. Try checking your settings to make sure that this isn't the problem. Good luck!

No, I recently cleaned up my spyware, and I've had problems like this for quite a while. I just did another scan, and didn't find anything. Any other ideas, guys? It also happens with all of the click.linkserv links.

I have that problem whenever I try to click on ebay links on this site--using Mozilla. So yesterday I cut and pasted the link into IE and instantly got a piece of adware/spyware/crapware called onsrvr from the redirect. Took me an hour to figure out how to remove the thing permanently, since Adaware and Spybot didn't even detect it.

Needless to say, I won't be using IE for any of the links on this site again. No link is worth that kind of hassle.

.... I don't have firewall... If u mean hardware firewall i m using Netgear MR814.

the Anti-___ software

1.)McAfee Virus Scan v8.0 (i disable the firewall for this software)

2.)Spy sweeper

3.)Adaware

those 3 are the only anti-____ software i use

[quote name='Qbe']I have that problem whenever I try to click on ebay links on this site--using Mozilla. So yesterday I cut and pasted the link into IE and instantly got a piece of adware/spyware/crapware called onsrvr from the redirect. Took me an hour to figure out how to remove the thing permanently, since Adaware and Spybot didn't even detect it.

Needless to say, I won't be using IE for any of the links on this site again. No link is worth that kind of hassle.[/quote]

Then how do u remove it...

can u share it w/ us?

edit:
this is wht the link address look like...

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/go.php...ck?id=FKSJxY2VJAk&offerid=54879.242629&type=2

The only firewall I have is the one I get through my router. Other than that, I have Nortan Antivirus Corporate, Ad-Aware, and SpyBot, Search and Destroy, but the latter 2 don't run in the background or anything.

[quote name='Stargun007']No, I recently cleaned up my spyware, and I've had problems like this for quite a while. I just did another scan, and didn't find anything. Any other ideas, guys? It also happens with all of the click.linkserv links.[/quote]

Your problem is spyware but not the fact that it is installed. The actual problem lies with something called the hosts file. This is a file that contains static mappings for websites. Programs like Kazaa and other Spyware fuck this file up to no end. Make sure that you have your anti-spyware program scan your hosts file. This usually isn't a standard option because it could wipe out legitimate data as well (although this is only a concern for large corporations.) If your spyware program doesn't scan the hosts file or simply doesn't say if it does, then dump it. Get adaware 6.0 from www.lavasoft.de. I use this regularly at work for my users. Also, I posted a tutorial with screenshots on this website quite some time ago. Do a search for spyware threads and you should be able to find it.

I am using Ad-Aware 6.0 with the latest updates. And just 2 weeks ago, I posted a Hijack This log and some people really helped me clean up my PC. I went to try and do a scan and include this host file thing, but I'm not quite sure how to do that. Any tips?

I have the same problem too in about 10% of the links I just copy and paste the link into my address bar on the page I'm at and access it that way

That's what I do, but it can become a hassle. It's been this way ever since I formatted my computer a year and a half ago, and I've always been too lazy to fix it.

Edit: I just played around with my Hosts file and erased all of the entries that had to do with lynksynergy. However, I did not find anything to do with qkserv, but right now everything seems to be working fine. I'll post again if I need more help.

bread's done
Back