Cheapest place to buy North Face Jackets?

scdoanintendo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I'm looking for a good winter jacket for work (outside) and casual, I heard North Face is the best. The jackets are pretty expensive and I can't seem to find them anywhere for less than MSRP besides ebay. Can any CAGS help me out. Thank you in advance.

I live right by the Michigan City outlet in Indiana but they don't have a North Face outlet. Was the jacket worth is it? I've never bought a North Face jacket.

I grew up in Oregon and have done some alpineering in california and oregon (mt Huntington, the three sisters, mt. hood, mt. rainer, three finger jack, mt. jefferson) and unless you really are into their name - there are jackets that are just as good.

especially now.

It used to be that North Face was one of the best, and they still are, but now their stuff is way overpriced - unless you can find an outlet mall. But in all honesty, Columbia, Patagonia, Marmot, Mt. Hardware, Black Dot, and even some snowboarding companies put out some really good stuff.

check out http://www.rei.com/outlet/ to see if you like anything. I will say that the upper priced North Face shit is really good, but so is all the other brand's high end stuff.

if you have any questions lemme know.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']I grew up in Oregon and have done some alpineering in california and oregon (mt Huntington, the three sisters, mt. hood, mt. rainer, three finger jack, mt. jefferson) and unless you really are into their name - there are jackets that are just as good.

especially now.

It used to be that North Face was one of the best, and they still are, but now their stuff is way overpriced - unless you can find an outlet mall. But in all honesty, Columbia, Patagonia, Marmot, Mt. Hardware, Black Dot, and even some snowboarding companies put out some really good stuff.

check out http://www.rei.com/outlet/ to see if you like anything. I will say that the upper priced North Face shit is really good, but so is all the other brand's high end stuff.

if you have any questions lemme know.[/QUOTE]

^^^ Listen to this man; he knows of what he speaks. :D

now we're talking - water proof or water resistant. How cold does it get where you'll be using it? Is it dry cold or wet cold?

I'm assuming you don't want a down coat that is all poofy and gangsta. You're probably looking for a ski or snowboard jacket then, unless that is too ski lodge for you.
Ski jackets tend to be cut better and more fit than snowboard jackets, which are baggy and skater inspired.

if those types of jackets don't float your boat, maybe something more like this?
http://www.rei.com/product/47905121.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_MENS_CLOTHING_TOC

or this
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...S_CLOTHING_PP&langId=-1&catalogId=40000008000

are you looking for the cheapest possible?

one thing to consider is that spending a little more can get you a lot. I have a Bonfire snowboarding jacket that was pretty pricey at the time ($225) but it has lasted me 4 solid years of backcountry riding.

unfortunately, I couldn't really wear it in NYC at my job so I had to pick up a fancy ass car coat, which is damn comfortable but was super expensive (it is cashmere and wool though).

The Yuppie Outdoor hobby world has exploded this last decade so there are more types of jackets and choices than ever before.

i just bought a down jacket for $5.97 or $6.97 (forget which) at some place called Steve & Barry's...the jacket is probably crap, but everything in the store is $5.97 or $6.97, so I had to buy it just for the hell of it for work (nothing that i'm going to show-off and be fashionable with)...i also bought a hoodie there, they're mostly a college sport's apparel store

I bought a North Face Kitchatna Jacket a few years back. Its an incredible jacket. But it cost $500 and isnt worth the $200 more it cost than most jackets.
Marmot, Moutain Hardware, and Patagonia (a little overpriced tho) are my reasonable priced favorites. I do not like Columbia for the most part. Only the highest parts of their line are worthwhile.

[quote name='munch']North Face = Frat boy. (at least from my observations)[/QUOTE]

Depending on your geography, it has also become something of an "urban" brand, believe it or not. There is definitely better for the money out there.

i got a pretty good deal on a 2 layer northface jacket on ebay....the outside is goretex (and waterproof like a mother), and the inside is like a thin jacket, and when both are put together it's friggin warm. like sweat you out.

i personally like north face, durable for 2 years and running.

also i got a northface backpack for 20 bucks..and it's seriously the best backpack i've ever had...i war out my jansport one in 3 years (the straps crapped out) but 3 years with the northface and it's still holding strong.

so to each his own.

As previously stated, the North Face outlet would be the only place that mere mortals could actually afford North Face gear.

Be very wary of any North Face ebay transactions, I remember reading once that North Face was the #1 pirated clothing brand on eBay.. lots and lots of knockoffs.

I know I'm bringing back an old thread, but I found a few OK deals on some Columbia jackets, and aside from the color, I really can't tell the difference, if there is any, between the different kinds. I know that some are the 3 in 1 with the fleece, but thats as much as I can tell. I checked one out at a sporting goods store, and it felt pretty thin, and didn't seem like it would keep you very warm. Are some better than others?

A few of them are here, if you scroll down:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/s...304666&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=200304516

And if anyone has any better deals (on anything decent, not just Columbia), I'm trying to find something pretty quick. My winter coat was lost when we moved, and we only noticed in the last week.

[quote name='specialk']also i got a northface backpack for 20 bucks..and it's seriously the best backpack i've ever had...i war out my jansport one in 3 years (the straps crapped out) but 3 years with the northface and it's still holding strong.[/quote]

ya well I had a walmart back pack that costed something like $5.97 lasted me all 4 years of highschool. can't remember the name of the brand though right now.

*note*

I just discovered my mom gave it to my brother as a hand-me-down backpack for school. So hell it is running 5 years strong right now.

[quote name='dafoomie']And if anyone has any better deals (on anything decent, not just Columbia), I'm trying to find something pretty quick. My winter coat was lost when we moved, and we only noticed in the last week.[/QUOTE]

www.sierratradingpost.com Sometimes has good deals, I've seen some nice prices on Helly Hansen and GoLite coats there. Sizes tend to be limited though.

[quote name='monoxide101']www.sierratradingpost.com Sometimes has good deals, I've seen some nice prices on Helly Hansen and GoLite coats there. Sizes tend to be limited though.[/QUOTE]
Thats the first place I looked... The cheap stuff doesn't seem very good, for the most part.

If you wait till spring or late winter North Face and Panagona jackets are like 50-75% off...Dicks does an annual clearance sale around Feb-Mar.

bread's done
Back