How do you keep track of your game collection?

Ace2001

CAG Veteran
I have been slowly building up my game collectiion over the last 3 years. I now have about 150 games for different systems; PS1, GBA, PS2, XBOX, GC, DS & PSP. I was thinking of just creating a spreadsheet in excel to keep track of my games. Just for kicks I decided to do a search in google for "video game collection database". I found this link to www.collectorz.com. I downloaded the free trial and it is actually pretty slick. Has anyone used this program before? Are there any other cheaper or better solutions?

IGN is good but the "price estimate" is kinda iffy. I think game crazy and gamestop have a collection option also

I keep lists on IGN and videogametracker.com (since it's all freeform entries; I can enter games that IGN doesn't have in it's database) as well as keeping a Word document of every game I have.

I have heard that if you use IGN for game tracking you get emails all the time about your wanted list. New updates, sales offers. Is that true?

I have it, it used to be great, because you could import pictures and game information from All Game Guides, but that service was cut. Now it is not so easy, but it is cool because you can actually add the pictures of your games in. Still this is CAG, so IGN or Excel sheet is probably your best bet.

I don't, I've found most of my games are crap that I don't really care about. So I keep the 50-60 good ones on a couple of shelfs and the rest are in boxes gathering dust.

I use Gamespot and IGN. I like IGN for the ability to add demos, older games, and keep your own info on your games like prices, dates, and such. I use Gamespot for the overall streamlined experience and that it's easier to add games than IGN.

I used to use excel spreadsheets, but I haven't updated them in months, so I don't even know what games I own right now :whistle2:(

IGN was really difficult for me to use because I have so many games. Have they changed the format to make it easier to add games quickly?

[quote name='Ace2001']I have heard that if you use IGN for game tracking you get emails all the time about your wanted list. New updates, sales offers. Is that true?[/QUOTE]

When you add a game to your wishlist, there's a box you can check if you want to "watch" a game. If you check that box, IGN will send you an email whenever they post a new article for that game. If you don't want the emails, you can leave the box unchecked.

[quote name='radjago']I have an Excel sheet and use IGN on the web.[/QUOTE]
Same here. I much prefer my excel workbook to IGN, though. I have a sheet (tab) for each system, with the appropriate games listed in each. I have a running tally of duplicates, plus the conditions each item is in. There is also a systems sheet that tallies what I have for systems. Finally, the first sheet in the book is a summary of all the games, which is linked to all the other sheets (so it updates automatically): the total number of actual games and the total number of titles (total games - duplicates). I update it weekly, usually after evilmax and I go yardsaling. I'm really proud of it and it's a great way to keep track of everything! :)

IGN, but I think there's definitely room for improvement. They really haven't added anything to the functionality of the site in some time. I'd like to see more options like: purchase date, amount paid, condition, and if I beat the game or not. I've emailed IGN about this several times a few years back, and I always get a canned response that says they will be updating the site soon. Yeah right. Just like they'll be adding a DVD database soon too. :roll:

[quote name='moiety']Same here. I much prefer my excel workbook to IGN, though. I have a sheet (tab) for each system, with the appropriate games listed in each. I have a running tally of duplicates, plus the conditions each item is in. There is also a systems sheet that tallies what I have for systems. Finally, the first sheet in the book is a summary of all the games, which is linked to all the other sheets (so it updates automatically): the total number of actual games and the total number of titles (total games - duplicates). I update it weekly, usually after evilmax and I go yardsaling. I'm really proud of it and it's a great way to keep track of everything! :)[/QUOTE]

Great minds must think alike. I've made an eerily similar Excel spreadsheet of which I'm also quite proud. All I have to do is type in a new game and it automatically updates my system totals my grand totals. I even use it to keep track of how many of my games I've actually completed. Sadly it tells me that I'm only at 27.2% of my near 700 total games. I have only this site to blame for that. ;)

[quote name='Wet Ninja']When you add a game to your wishlist, there's a box you can check if you want to "watch" a game. If you check that box, IGN will send you an email whenever they post a new article for that game. If you don't want the emails, you can leave the box unchecked.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes though, especially for newer games, they automatically check the box and you have to uncheck it to make sure you dont get emails.

I use IGN. I used to have an Excel spreadsheet with how much I paid for each game, but that is since way outdated.

IGN, but i havent updated it in months and its gonna hurt my head trying to think of all the games ive got since i updated it. I think a spreadsheet would be cool though, and have the price that you pay and a total, could be interesting.

Doesn't anyone just put their games on a shelf and look at them? I have over 100 games and well over 400 cds and I have never rebought anything. Why a spreadsheet?

I use IGN and like it since it has a simple, clean interface and display. Gametz has some nice options, but I think the interface and layout is way too cluttered.

IGN for awhile for games, but I've recently switched since I have so many dvds and cds, plus there is no where to catalog strategy guides. So I switched to a CueCat and MediaMan. Media man is free and uses the amazon DB for everything from CDs and DVDs to books and games, PC too. It also includes screenshots of most games and they have more rare variations then IGN does.

I used guzzlefish forever for CDS and DVDS but they suck ass so that lead me to MediaMan.

I grabbed a hacked CueCat on ebay for $12 including shipping, so I can just scan the barcodes on the back of the item and it goes straight in. Its great for folks who have larger collections. Plus you can export to CSV, TXT, or XLS. Then from there you can do anything.

www.imediaman.com

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Doesn't anyone just put their games on a shelf and look at them? I have over 100 games and well over 400 cds and I have never rebought anything. Why a spreadsheet?[/QUOTE]

Insurance purposes. It's a pretty good idea to get renter's insurance and make a detailed list and take pictures of everything you have that's of any value. Keep the list and photos somewhere safe (safety deposit box, other family member's house, etc.) Renters' insurance is way too cheap not to have have it (only costs about $300/year) and most policies will cover up to $45,000 worth of replacement value.

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']IGN for awhile for games, but I've recently switched since I have so many dvds and cds, plus there is no where to catalog strategy guides. So I switched to a CueCat and MediaMan. Media man is free and uses the amazon DB for everything from CDs and DVDs to books and games, PC too. It also includes screenshots of most games and they have more rare variations then IGN does.

I used guzzlefish forever for CDS and DVDS but they suck ass so that lead me to MediaMan.

I grabbed a hacked CueCat on ebay for $12 including shipping, so I can just scan the barcodes on the back of the item and it goes straight in. Its great for folks who have larger collections. Plus you can export to CSV, TXT, or XLS. Then from there you can do anything.

www.imediaman.com[/QUOTE]
For DVD's you should check out DVD Spot. There's a lot you for with it, like keeping track of how much you paid for it, where you got it, when you watched it, rate them, write reviews, and there's even stats that let you know what actors appear the most in your DVD's and all that kind of stuff. It takes a little time to get your collection up since you need UPC's to find the specific DVD you have, but it's worth it to me. Mine is in my sig if you want to see how it looks.

Up to this point I only keep track of my SNES collection(408 games) in an excel file. At some point I may decide to catalog everything else, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

IGN, but I wish they worked more like DVD Afficionado. I like DVD-A's way of adding multiple titles at once, as well as the built-in cover art (tho load times take a hit when your collection gets big).

I use IGN. I'm not anal about my games or their condition or anything, and I'm not a collecotr, so I just use it to keep track of what I have. I just use the comments if it's disc only or has a guide.

If they added a DVD database, that would be awesome.

I use IGN, but I might switch over to the one at digital press once that is back up. I'm taking a database class right now, so I might make my own database of all my games.

Primarily IGN. Gamespot is nice but they didn't have some of my games listed.

BTW, your IGN collection will also show up on gamestats.com (with higher estimated values for some reason).

Guzzlefish bit off WAY more than they could chew. They are useless.

so 7 years later..

1. Has anyone found an ideal way to log your games? Or a website?

2. Some of you mentioned spreadsheets, FOR those of us less technical would YOU mind sharing your spreadsheets?

3. Someone mentioned a hacked Cuecat scanner? I like that idea, has anyone explored this?

Forgive me as you can see, I dont' get on the Internet much but I hope to get internet access at the crib soon and I hope that changes!!

let me know

oNe

We have a decent game collection tool here on CAG. But given that Android and iOS didn't exist 7 years ago, it's probably best to mention that. There are apps that you can use to track your game (or book or music etc) collection. Some even have bar code scanning to enter games.

[quote name='Access_Denied']We have a decent game collection tool here on CAG. But given that Android and iOS didn't exist 7 years ago, it's probably best to mention that. There are apps that you can use to track your game (or book or music etc) collection. Some even have bar code scanning to enter games.[/QUOTE]

What do feel is the best IOS one?

I actually have a notepad document that I have separated by platforms (360, DS,PC, etc). I have them numbered in the order that I bought them in, with the exception of games from the same series which I put together.

[quote name='Sean Price']so 7 years later..

2. Some of you mentioned spreadsheets, FOR those of us less technical would YOU mind sharing your spreadsheets?

oNe[/QUOTE]

THIS!! come on my fellow CAG's, help a non MS OFFice guy out..

thanks

oNe

I'll have to check out VGCollector's app later on. Didn't realize I had an account there until this morning when I tried to create one and they said it had existed already.

Personally, I'm using www.backloggery.com. Not as fancy looking but I can easily keep track of what I have there, not to mention keep track of games I've beaten and such. Only caveat is that all of this is manual so if you're using it to keep track of achievements and trophies... good luck.

bread's done
Back