Blu Ray = Doomed??

[quote name='klwillis45']http://news.com.com/Intel,+Microsoft+endorse+HD+DVD/2100-1041_3-5883337.html?tag=nefd.lede

Intel & Microsoft have chosen hd-dvd. I think we're looking at another failed Sony format.

P.S. : Before you call fanboy, I personally don't care who wins, just pick a format and go with it. We don't need a beta vs vhs again.[/QUOTE]
But..... at least half of the flim industry has chosen blu-ray. And that's probably going to be the determining factor there.

IMO I don't want to really see these new formats coming out. I have worked retail for the past 2 years and its hard enough to explain a RF modulator. Now image how hard its going to be asking does your dvd player say just dvd or HD or blu-ray? why what's all that. Then I get to spend an extra hour helping some jackass who does not realize they have a VCR not a dvd.

[quote name='Graystone']IMO I don't want to really see these new formats coming out. I have worked retail for the past 2 years and its hard enough to explain a RF modulator. Now image how hard its going to be asking does your dvd player say just dvd or HD or blu-ray? why what's all that. Then I get to spend an extra hour helping some jackass who does not realize they have a VCR not a dvd.[/QUOTE]

LOL

A couple months ago I saw someone take a betamax player to circuit city to get repaired. And while they were there the staff tried to tell them that they didn't have VHS much less beta tapes.

it's been pretty well known for awhile that intel and Microsoft was backing HD-DVD. That's why people expected the 360 to have a HD-DVD drive.

Trust I work retail, and an elderly lady came in with her granddaughter and after they bought a ps2 game she said "I hope this works in the Xbox" and the granddaughter "said no I dont think it will", grandma replied "Trust me, it worked in our DVD player"

the game was "TAK 3"

I was baffeled

[quote name='javeryh']I am waiting until one format is completely dead like beta before I get a hi-def DVD player.[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of hi-def DVD players are going to go ahead and support both formats, so I really don't see why both won't succeed. Different movie companies are signing on to different formats, so consumers aren't going to care if Star Wars is on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. They are going to buy it on whatever format it is on.

This really doesn't have to turn into Beta versus VHS because one drive can be capable of reading both discs.

is there going to actually be a noticable difference between the new formats and progressive scan on today's dvds? (There was a big difference between vhs and dvd) Or will these new formats just increase storage, allowing for entire season sets on one disc?

[quote name='javeryh']I am waiting until one format is completely dead like beta before I get a hi-def DVD player.[/QUOTE]

Strangely enough Beta tapes are still widely used in the entertainment undustry today. They may be extinct in the general consumer market, but production companies still buy them by the truckload to produce their daily screeners.

[quote name='cyberlian']is there going to actually be a noticable difference between the new formats and progressive scan on today's dvds? (There was a big difference between vhs and dvd) Or will these new formats just increase storage, allowing for entire season sets on one disc?[/QUOTE]

Well, yes HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are much larger storage mediums. HD is up to 60 GB and Blu-Ray is up to 200 GB dual layered (I hope I remembered those correctly off the top of my head). But they also provide the means for DVDs to actually be in Hi-Def. Currently progressive scan DVD's only support 480p. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will allow for support of 720p and 1080i/1080p.

[quote name='cyberlian']is there going to actually be a noticable difference between the new formats and progressive scan on today's dvds? (There was a big difference between vhs and dvd) Or will these new formats just increase storage, allowing for entire season sets on one disc?[/QUOTE]

Yes - a HUGE difference. DVDs (480p) look like crap compared to HDTV (1080i). I'd rather watch a movie on HBO than on a DVD because the picture quality is a million times better. Season set will still be sold in multi-disc packages but should look and sound much much better than the current non-HD discs.

I kind of want Sony to win this war because Blu-Ray is supposedly a technologically superior platform.

[quote name='javeryh']

I kind of want Sony to win this war because Blu-Ray is supposedly a technologically superior platform.[/QUOTE]

Yup, but it's a dumb ass name, and that will hurt it in the long run.

[quote name='Deadpool']Yup, but it's a dumb ass name, and that will hurt it in the long run.[/QUOTE]
I agree that Blu Ray's name will hurt it. They should call it some thing with DVD in it, even if it's Blu Ray DVD.
Everyone knows what a DVD is. Few people know what a Blu Ray is.

Of course if Intel and MS choose a format then the other format is doomed. Whatever Intel and MS say goes. You give too much stock in those companies.

Blu-Ray kind of sounds like a metal gear boss to me.

Snake: What is that thing!?

Otacon: That's metal gear blu-ray!

Snake: METAL.......GEAR........BLU.......RAY!!??

*metal gear theme cuts in*

Am I the only person that likes the name Blu-Ray? It's a logical name since it uses a blue laser for reading instead of a red laser, plus it's different than DVD, CD, VHS and all those abbreviations.

[quote name='sying']Of course if Intel and MS choose a format then the other format is doomed. Whatever Intel and MS say goes. You give too much stock in those companies.[/QUOTE]
Why would MS invest in a format developed by Sony in the first place?

[quote name='Professor Oreo']Strangely enough Beta tapes are still widely used in the entertainment undustry today. They may be extinct in the general consumer market, but production companies still buy them by the truckload to produce their daily screeners.[/QUOTE]

Well, Beta was the far greater format, they just didn't have the support of the industry.

blu ray is goin to be the more expensive media from what I hear, plus I dont want to have to buy two different dvd players to watch to different companys movies. This is just goin to make me withdraw until it sorts itself out

i dont really care because i wont be buying one of these players for at least 5 years (ps3 excluded), if not more, i figure theyll be making dvds for at least that long, and seeing as how i dont have an hdtv its even less relevant for me... i would think that a lot more people would be in the same boat as me

For starters, it's not even a format war. Samsung is already putting out a player that reads both discs, so it's really a non-factor. If anything, the PS3 will be hurt by only supporting one of them. The one thing people keep forgetting here is that blu ray discs cost $10 more a pop to MAKE than HD-DVD ones. I don't know about anyone else, but I remember the $50 DVD days back in '98, and I'd really rather not go back to that, thank you very much. The ONLY difference in the disc is capacity (~50G for HD, ~100 for BR). The 360 should have had HD-DVD, but they wanted a November launch, so that wasn't possible. There is a very real chance that a version will be released later that supports HD-DVD gaming and both movie formats. If they do it as an external drive, people will have no reason to be up in arms as well. Personally, I feel if either format is doomed, it is Blu Ray simply because of the cost to produce. The only thing Sony really has over MS at the moment is capacity. If they can fix that, MS will most likely win America at least. Yes I know the PS3 has better specs, but until someone can make a game for the PS3 that can't be copied on the 360, specs don't mean much.

Pffft, the clear winner of this formatting war will be whoever gets exclusive license with p0rn. Why? Because that's potentially one major reason why BetaMax lost to VHS. Sony didn't want BetaMax associated with p0rn but the VHS standard was all about it. And back in those days, the p0rn industry was a multi-million (maybe billion) dollar video industry. Imagine how much it's worth today.

Think I'm talking crap? I heard that p0rn on the PSP is one of the best selling UMDs in Japan. At the very least, Sony has stopped playing Virtue Police and opened the gates (no pun intended).

[quote name='sying']Of course if Intel and MS choose a format then the other format is doomed...[/QUOTE]Did wonders for DVD-RAM :roll:
[quote name='NEWS.COM']While Microsoft's endorsement seems to give a boost to the DVD+RW camp, the group pushing for the competing standard pointed out that the software company's blessing does not guarantee a victor. Microsoft supports a third technology, DVD-RAM, within the Windows operating system, but that support has done little to raise the profile of the DVD-RAM format, which remains a distant third in terms of consumer popularity. DVD-RAM is typically used to store data rather than video.

"The OS has to be format-agnostic. Ultimately, Microsoft can't dictate what consumers are going to use, and this is just Microsoft adding support for another format," said DVD Forum spokesman Andy Marken. [/QUOTE]
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-879980.html

Sad really, as DVD-RAM really is a better format. It was just too fucking expensive for the media.

[quote name='62t']It is also possible that both format will exist, sort of like DVD+R and DVD-R.[/QUOTE]

That's the most annoying thing ever.

Pfft screw em both and bring back the LaserDisc. They were superior with thier car wheel size and double sidedness.

Seriously I am behind Blu-Ray(ugh i hate the name) on this one as it is a real leap foward with the size as compared to the smaller imporvment that HD provides.

One big advantage is that HD-DVD has "backwards compatibility" built in. They're talking about how you'll be able to buy movies that have a standard DVD version on one side, and the HD-DVD version on the other. This will eliminate consumer confusion by having one SKU, and also won't force consumers to upgrade immediately. Blu-ray faces a slow media-adaptation time, where as HD-DVDs could quickly become the norm (even if most people don't play the HD-DVD side of their movie). Quick saturation of the media = key, and HD-DVD has the theoretical edge.

Skip blue light, go right to electrons.

Light wavelengths are just too long, even with blue light. Electron waves are the future, imagine a 100,000GB disk!

[quote name='evilmax17']One big advantage is that HD-DVD has "backwards compatibility" built in. They're talking about how you'll be able to buy movies that have a standard DVD version on one side, and the HD-DVD version on the other. This will eliminate consumer confusion by having one SKU, and also won't force consumers to upgrade immediately. Blu-ray faces a slow media-adaptation time, where as HD-DVDs could quickly become the norm (even if most people don't play the HD-DVD side of their movie). Quick saturation of the media = key, and HD-DVD has the theoretical edge.[/QUOTE]

True. It's not about what is technologically superior (unfortunately) it's about market penetration. I might be inclined to buy a DVD now if it comes with an HD version as well that I can watch when I switch formats.

Blu-ray being in PS3 will help blu-ray win. PS3 has a huge fanbase that no HD-DVD player could match.

There is no fan base, because the system isn't out yet. Let alone the fact that the ps3 will be the most expensive console of all time. On top of that, a rumored HD-DVD version of the Xbox 360 will have a 6month headstart on the market place for upgraders and first-time buyers.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Actually, that's untrue. The Xbox 360 will be $400 (for the good one), which is also the speculated price for the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Sony will take a heck of a hit if the PS3 launches at $400. Blu-ray drives are not going to be cheap and the Cell processor isn't either. If you consider the other components of the PS3 to be comparable to the X360, it's going to be hard for PS3 to come out at $400. I'm not saying that Sony won't launch at that price, but they are going to lose a crapload on each system sold. And $400 certainly won't be the price for the good version of the PS3, since it doesn't look like it will come with a hard drive.

[quote name='shipwreck']Sony will take a heck of a hit if the PS3 launches at $400. Blu-ray drives are not going to be cheap and the Cell processor isn't either. If you consider the other components of the PS3 to be comparable to the X360, it's going to be hard for PS3 to come out at $400. I'm not saying that Sony won't launch at that price, but they are going to lose a crapload on each system sold.[/QUOTE]
Recently, every single console is always initially sold at a lost in the beginning. The money is in the software sales, not the hardware.

[quote name='Msia']Recently, every single console is always initially sold at a lost in the beginning. The money is in the software sales, not the hardware.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know that. But at $400 Sony will take a larger hit than what most consoles do at launch.

[quote name='Msia']Recently, every single console is always initially sold at a lost in the beginning. The money is in the software sales, not the hardware.[/QUOTE]

Well, not Nintendo.

But yeah, it is the razor blade model of business.

You know, you turn 18 they send you the razor for free, and then you have to spend 10 bucks on something containing .8 cents of steel an plastic every month or so. They could care less about the initial price, because the money is in making you buy the things that only work for their device.

[quote name='Tromack']Well, not Nintendo.

But yeah, it is the razor blade model of business.

You know, you turn 18 they send you the razor for free, and then you have to spend 10 bucks on something containing .8 cents of steel an plastic every month or so. They could care less about the initial price, because the money is in making you buy the things that only work for their device.[/QUOTE]
I enjoyed getting a "Happy 18th Birthday" Quattro for my 21st birthday.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Am I the only person that likes the name Blu-Ray? It's a logical name since it uses a blue laser for reading instead of a red laser, plus it's different than DVD, CD, VHS and all those abbreviations.[/QUOTE]

I really like the name Blu-Ray too. I think it sounds great and, like you mentioned, it avoids all those acronyms.

As far as the format war goes, I've favored Blu-Ray all along simply because it ensures a longer period of time before yet another format change.

But, ultimately, I feel that these two disc formats are going to penetrate the home video market about as much as laserdiscs did (i.e. strictly for videophiles)

I think what it will come down to is cost...Movies will not need that much space on a disc, In the long run, if HDDVD is cheaper, that is where the customers will go.

bread's done
Back