job interview at american eagle..some advice..(UPDATE: I GOT THE JOB)

greydemise

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
hey all, i've never worked in a clothing store before ...and just wondering, how what should i wear to the interview? just a regular outfit? some help wud be nice :p and if anyone who works or has worked in a clothing store could tell me what its like and average pay...that wud be nice :) thanks!

Wear business clothes. At least a nice shirt and slacks. You won't ever get hired in a normal outfit. I don't know about clothing stores, but I've worked retail for years.

When I hire, I look at whether they would get along with my team, professionalism, and willingness to go "the extra mile" for a customer.

Keep in mind that the only reason someone will hire you is because you would provide value to the organization. As soon as you no longer provide value, they'll look to replace you. So tell them what you will do for them.

No problem. Let me know if you have any other questions. The best advice about dressing is to see what they're wearing in the store, and dress slightly better than that.

[quote name='greydemise']hey all, i've never worked in a clothing store before ...and just wondering, how what should i wear to the interview? just a regular outfit? some help wud be nice :p and if anyone who works or has worked in a clothing store could tell me what its like and average pay...that wud be nice :) thanks![/QUOTE]

Uhm, I think the rule of thumb is to dress a step above what the employees there wear. You usually see people dressing pretty casual there, in jeans and one of those graphic T-shirts. If I were you, I'd probably just throw on khakis and a collared shirt. That should suffice.

For an American Eagle interview, make sure you are wearing Aeropostale, Old Navy, or Banana Republic clothing...they'd love that. ;)

(Seriously, I think the nice khakis and dress shirt should be fine...good luck!)

^_^

Oh, when you work at AE or any other clothing store, you're not allowed to wear any other brands that shows the logo. If I were you, I would wear something casual (nice jeans and a polo size...or a trendy t-shirt) for the interview.

Change your gender to female. I think that's the only way to get jobs like that nowadays.

yeah just dress nice, but trendy. not a suit and tie for that kind of a job because a lot of the decision is based on your image. (what teenager wants a business guy in a suit selling him tee shirts with slightly hidden obscene messages? not me.) so as long as you look nice and stylish at the same time, you'll be just fine.

you SHOULD be wearing a shirt and tie with dress pants. There is nothing better you can wear, don't wear alot of jewelery, take out your earrings, clean up your speech, have a resume, smile and be positive, then just be you and you got a job, like bling bling! Good Luck!

[quote name='jennie25']you SHOULD be wearing a shirt and tie with dress pants. There is nothing better you can wear, don't wear alot of jewelery, take out your earrings, clean up your speech, have a resume, smile and be positive, then just be you and you got a job, like bling bling! Good Luck![/QUOTE]

No, no tie for retail job interviews. You CAN overdress, and that's an example.

Do not wear a t-shirt to the interview. I suppose if a 20 year old kid is interviewing you they might not care, but anyone close to being an adult is going to read it as you don't take the job seriously. No one ever lost a job for looking too nice, but plenty do for looking too sloppy.

well i just got back, it went very well, thanks evrery1 for the advice :)! it seriously helped out ALOT, esp quillion :D thx so much for the quick response man, ur a life savior, the interview was VERY informal, very laid back..it went pretty well, not without its little hiccups of course, and rig..i wore an aeropostale button down ;)...made sure no logos showed tho..but yea, it was a group interview, the other 2 guys went 2 my school (they had application tables at my school) i offered them a ride back (which they accepted)..interviewer saw this and was like..hmm..teamwork..i like that alot, didnt care if he saw that or not..they seemed like really cool guys..but hey , i hope that helps :D!..karma!
anyways..tahnks again, in about 2 weeks..ill let u know how it went

ps- i wore a blue button down from aero, casual looking, but classy! and khakis with black dress shoes

You should have worn some bummy duds. Then, when you get there, walk around the store, grabbing various articles of clothing, piecing together a nice outfit and take it to the dressing room.

Making sure the interviewer sees this, of course.

[quote name='rabbitt']Holy shit, whoever made that pinned down 'douchebag' pretty good. There are so many of those assholes at my school.[/QUOTE]

Do they all work at American Eagle/Abercrombie/Hollister? I assume they all work at those types of establishments, but I'm too terrified to find out.

Whatever you do, don't tell them that you use meth to have the energy to do lots of work so that you can make money to buy more meth. Businesses don't like to hear that.

[quote name='Tromack']Whatever you do, don't tell them that you use meth to have the energy to do lots of work so that you can make money to buy more meth. Businesses don't like to hear that.[/QUOTE]
#-o

[quote name='bostonfrontier']if the interviewer is a woman don't stare at her chest............ unless of course she wants you to[/QUOTE]

i remember applying for ajob at pac-sun awhile back, the manager / interview / hottie was short blonde girl...with the biggest and nicest rack EVER....she was wearing a low-cut blouse...did i mention she was short? like 4'11 short..so i cud easily look like i was looking down 2 talk 2 her and look at the goods..but i overdid it...i mean it got so bad..i stopped hearing everything and was like hypnotized by these wonderous creations...in short, she was talking 2 me and i was like stupefied...i was BUSTED (pun intended)

bread's done
Back