800 Wats 6.1 Home Theatre Surround Sound System For Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
BRAND NEW HOME THEATRE SYSTEM

I got this as a from a close friend that works at best buy and i already have a nice surround sound system so i do not need this. I am putting it up for sale. These are a beautiful black wood (see pictures below). These are brand new, never used, i opened the box just to take the pictures because i couldnt find any online.

This system is listed at 1999.00 but i am not looking for that much, no where near that much. Make offers, i will accept any reasonable offer!

Shipping will be kinda pricey since this is such a huge box. If i get any serious offers ill go check out shipping prices.

Here are some pictures!
stero001.jpg

stero002.jpg

These speakers were never sold at any Best Buy in N.A.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62123

They are "white van" speakers IMO. If you have any retail outlet info on these things, Id like to see it please.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/119070.html

Oddities of this brand:

No good press anywhere on the internet.

Retailers rarely put MSRP on their boxes.

Logo is stamped on instead of printed on. Happens mostly on chineese goods that need name changes often.

Not saying this cant be fine product, just educate yourself first.

[quote name='Captain Flaps']BRAND NEW HOME THEATRE SYSTEM

I got this as a from a close friend that works at best buy and i already have a nice surround sound system so i do not need this. I am putting it up for sale. These are a beautiful black wood (see pictures below). These are brand new, never used, i opened the box just to take the pictures because i couldnt find any online.

This system is listed at 1999.00 but i am not looking for that much, no where near that much. Make offers, i will accept any reasonable offer!

Shipping will be kinda pricey since this is such a huge box. If i get any serious offers ill go check out shipping prices.

Here are some pictures!

[/QUOTE]

Quoted, so there'd be no edits. ;) I was interested, but not so much now...

[quote name='Rig']Quoted, so there'd be no edits. ;) I was interested, but not so much now...[/QUOTE]
Good idea, Rig. Covers the bases here on this BS thread.

These are great speakers i dont know what everyones problem is?

That brand you are talking about is the knock off of the speakers i have.

[quote name='Captain Flaps']These are great speakers i dont know what everyones problem is?

That brand you are talking about is the knock off of the speakers i have.[/QUOTE]
Ok. Well then please direct us to a proper website for them. Quality speakers would have a quality website, correct? (not that weird photoshopped looking thing you linked)

Also, since this brand has NEVER appeared in any Best Buy in Canada or the US its obvious your friend who works there didnt buy it there. Perhaps he could give you a proper link to the real seller of these speakers?

[quote name='Captain Flaps']trtheatreresearch.com[/QUOTE]
Wrong bucko. There is nothing legit looking about that site.

Notice all those pretty little logos at the bottom? Those stand for nothing. There is nothing that has anything to do with the industry whatsoever.

"Elite digital ready"? WTF is that? Dont you find it the least bit odd theres no Dolby or DTS logos on ANY of the pages (esp. on their Amps and Receivers) What "great" audio company doesnt support ANY sort of Dolby encoding whatsoever? Freaking VHS tapes have Dolby on them for pete's sake.

http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/Crimes/InPerson/speaker_scams.htm

International White Van Speaker Scams

Surprised that I received the initial letters within days from different parts of the country led me to investigate this situation which I had never before heard of ( yes, I am fallible ).

Much to my surprise this turns out to be a scam of international proportions ( Canada, U.S., Australia, U.K., Netherlands, Germany, Japan, Switzerland ). There are even web sites specifically devoted to exposing it.

Essentially it involves selling cheaply made, but impressive looking, home stereo speakers under the names:
Acoustic Response Series 707, Acoustic Image, Acoustic Lab Technology, Acoustic 3312 Studio Monitor
Dogg Digital, Digital Dogg Audio
Dahlton KV 1500, Dahlton KV 2500 TI Speakers, Dahlton AV5.1 THX
Grafdale,
Digital Pro Audio, Pro Audio, Digital Pro Audio SL-T 2.8,
Digital Audio SL-3810, Digital Audio DA 2000SL / 2000CS, Digital Audio 2000, Digital Audio Professional Speaker Systems SL-3810, Digital Audio Skyline 900-SL, Digital Audio SL-3910 Speakers, Skyline AD-900SL, Digital Audio 2003 DA 5.1 Pro-Series III
Digital Research 5.1 Pro Series, Digital Research DA 5.1 Pro Series III
Dynalab
Audiofile 835LR, Audiofile 583LR
Denmark
Epiphany Audio speakers
Theater Research TR-1120, Theater Research TR-6000, Theater Research TR-1410 Digital Sound Speakers, Theater Research TR-900 Speakers, TR-5210 Professional Home Theater, Theater Research TR-2810, TR900, TR-6100 Digital Sound/5.1 Home Cinema, Theater Research Pro Series III Professional Home Theater TR5160
8810 Linear phase studio monitors

Cerwin-Vega AVS-632 Surround Sound, Cerwin Vega AVS 632 Speakers
Protecsound PT-5000 digital surround sound system speakers

using a variety of ruses out of the back of vans and SUV's. Most shocking is that it appears to be some kind of franchise operation for cons with impressive brochures, van decals, and a bogus website to delude you into believing you have gotten quite a deal.

In addition to the info below I direct your attention to ScamShield White Van Speaker Scam, www.badbusinessbureau.com www.bbb-bec.com White Van Scam Forum

Ahh well then my friend might of got scammed? He said he got them from best buy but who knows ill find out tomorow. They are good though but not worth 2000

Woah, great researching supa! Wonder what the OP is gonna say to that? (If anything...)

EDIT: Nevermind...seems he posted right above me... hehehe...

[quote name='Captain Flaps']That brand you are talking about is the knock off of the speakers i have.[/QUOTE]
Any brand that can sell on brand name alone enough to be "knocked off" would surely be sold at a major retailer, would it not? All I want to see is one retailler that sells this brand, america or canada. Thats it.

They arent as shitty as people are saying, read through those links, yeah tehy got scammed into buying them, but they arent shitty, they just arent 2000 worth of sound, more like 200.

[quote name='Captain Flaps']Ahh well then my friend might of got scammed? He said he got them from best buy but who knows ill find out tomorow. They are good though but not worth 2000[/QUOTE]
Every estimation Ive found show them to be worth $43-$50 US. Most dont work out of the box or die within weeks.

[quote name='Captain Flaps']They arent as shitty as people are saying, read through those links, yeah tehy got scammed into buying them, but they arent shitty, they just arent 2000 worth of sound, more like 200.[/QUOTE]

So, wait, you know these are good speakers, how? You said yourself these are "brand new, never used" so how do you know they are any good?

Info about the domain:

Registrant:
trtheaterresearch
5451 Commercial Drive
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
US

Domain Name: TRTHEATERRESEARCH.COM

Administrative Contact:
trtheaterresearch [email protected]
5451 Commercial Drive
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
US
714-894-5888

Technical Contact:
Hunt, Randy [email protected]
1611 POMONA RD STE B
CORONA, CA 92880
US
909.737.5264 fax: 909.737.2887

Record expires on 24-Oct-2007.
Record created on 24-Oct-2002.
Database last updated on 4-Oct-2005 01:21:28 EDT.

And for those curious, http://www.islandbreeze.com is a domain registrar site.

I'd give that 714-based # a call in the AM and see what you get.

[quote name='Captain Flaps']They arent as shitty as people are saying, read through those links, yeah tehy got scammed into buying them, but they arent shitty, they just arent 2000 worth of sound, more like 200.[/QUOTE]
joes.jpg

Have you no sense of decency sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?

Ok. Im going to sum this up as best I can.

First off, you mentioned your friend working at BestBuy sold you these speakers. They were never sold there so the fact he worked there means as much as if he were blue or 7 feet tall.
Secondly, these speakers tend to be sold out of the back of vans in high pressure situations to people under the impression they are far more expensive than they really are. If this is the way a company feels it must sell its product, what sort of quality and customer service should you expect from them? Little or none more than likely.
Third, you say they are worth $200. Maybe so but it is surely a gamble somebody is taking because all signs point to these things being pieces of shit. When they crap out after two weeks and theres no way to get any replacement parts or help fixing them, will they still be worth $200?
Fourth, you seem more concerned with moving these things than being sure they are indeed quality product. I would be HORRIFIED to sell something to a fellow CAGer that I found out after the fact was part of a "white van speaker sales" con. Seems you are ok with that. You've decided to gloss over website after website and customer after customer saying that they were duped by TR salesmen and the product maker themselves. You instead point to the rare instances where somebody got a decent set thats yet to blow out. (any chance these people *may* sell TR stuff and dont like all the negative press? Hmm)

Its obvious you are gonna do whatever the hell you want to do. And maybe somebody will take a big gamble on these suckers and help you out. Personally, I wouldnt be comfortable selling something with such a bad history and negative connotation to it here at CAG. Id also ask myself how good of a "friend" you have if hes selling you speakers he said he got from his store which he did not.

The speakers are sold out of the back of vans mostly.
The company has no support or customer service (all calls forward to an empty mailbox)
Many people have reported blow outs under any sort of load.
All the creditials offered up on their website are 100% bogus.
There is no support for any legit sound standard on any of their products (Dolby, DTS,THX,etc.)

With all of those giant negatives, I dont see how they can be worth $200 even if they sound ok.

Apparently you dont either since youre so hellbent on dumping them.

http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/Crimes/InPerson/speaker_scams.htm

Purchased At:

The White Van :lol:

Audiophile Reviews

While the technical specs below ( placed by a "Speakerman" at a review site where he tried to bump up the ratings with planted "unbiased" reviews ) sound impressive the more technical purchasers dig a little deeper into what they actually represent.

Dual 8" Floor-standing 2-way Tower Speaker Utilizing a 4th Order Butterworth Ported Design - 15 Watts RMS Amp Power, 200 Watts Music Power, 8 ohms, 91B 1W/1M, 100dB, 39-22,000 Hz (+-3dB), 12/6 dB per octave, 4,000 Hz crossover, 2-8" " High Modulus" Bi-Lamented Cone Butyl Rubber Surround, 1 1/2" Dia. High-temp Voice Coil, 24 oz. High Strength Ceramic Magnet, 13mm Titanium Coated Dome Computer Opt. Phase Dispersion Ring Tweeter, all in a wood black veneered finished ported cabinet.

"The speakers were weak, and could not compete with my ten year old stereo and speakers. He told me once I buy some 12 gauge speaker wire to hook up to them, they would blow me away. After the rewiring, I have not been blown away and I am disappointed."

"I decided to find out for myself just what these speakers were made of, so I proceeded to disassemble them. The two way crossover is very insufficient and not capable of handling what the speaker says. No insulation was placed on the inside to help with bass reproduction. The speakers have weak magnets and no specifications on them. The cones appear to be a polymer product, but when flipped over they are not. All in all, I paid for a speaker box and a nice speaker plug."

"I have personally believed that either the Bose AM series or their VCS was the single worst speaker listening experience that I have ever heard from a non-blown speaker, until I heard these."

"I unscrewed the drivers from the enclosure, these drivers look like they were made by some cheap manufacturer in Taiwan or Hong Kong. The cross-over network contains of some cheap and simple elements. The wires were thin and they weren't even soldered onto the driver. They were clipped on."

"When I pointed out these speakers had dodgy rubber rims and were crappy paper cones, and the titanium tweeter was in fact aluminum, the guy got really shirty and said he was in a hurry."

"On the box it says "Computer optimized crossover on Military spec PC board" but when you open it, There ain't no stinkin' crossover PCB. It's got a single capacitor in series with the tweeter. No circuit whatsoever on the bass cone."

"Their so-called "patent pending" grill design - I thought it was always better to listen without the grill- it's nothing but a piece of wood with black cloth over them. Bass drivers are not flush with the baffle. Even cheap $100 speakers do that."

"Cabinet is made out of cheap low density particle board, and is empty, resonating everywhere. No stuffing, no nothing. They used cheap 20 cents/m connecting wires."

"They produce terrible sound quality and are manufactured from extremely low quality components. Just reading their spec from their "website" is enough to tell anyone that it is a load of cobblers."

"For example, if anyone can tell me what a "Controlled Directivity™ integrated grille" is, other than a couple of slats pointing in a particular direction then I would be amazed. Ditto "High ModulusTM treated cone with butyl rubber surrounds" - other than a polypropylene cone that is no longer used in credible woofer designs."

"These speakers don't even qualify for being in the lowest common denominator mass market category. They are even lower than that.

"If you are one of the rare folks who do like the sound, I advise that you go to Wal-Mart or Dollar General Stores first. You'll find better speakers from Yorx, Emerson, or Symphonic for less than $50.00 and that includes the rest of the system."

"I took them home and hooked them up. The bass was strong - in fact I had to turn down the bass on the graphic to test the high range. About ten minutes of playing and one tweeter stopped working. I took them apart to investigate."

"The spade connector had fallen off. Inside, they are as cheap as the outside (about the same quality as my AUD$200 Wharfdales. Tiny wires, slip on spade connectors, but they do have a pcb with two inductor, two capacitors and two high wattage resistors."

"I did not analyze the filter, but it probably is fourth order Butterworth as in the specs. There was some black baffling inside for damping. The cases are just particle board, and the screws are already pulling out."

"He pulled out a magazine and flipped to a marked page and showed me an ad. I've seen this ad before because I read HiFi magazines quite often. The ad was for a HiFi store that deals in very expensive equipment. There were names like Bryston, Wilson Audio, Cary, Dunlavy, etc."

"There right in the middle was Magnum Dynalab. In the layout of the ad, they had to kind of offset the word Magnum from the word Dynalab. I said that this is in fact MAGNUM Dynalab and it is a company that deals in power conditioners and stuff. They have never made a speaker. Actually they should sue, if you ask me!"

Industry Reviews

Industry estimates rate the worth of the units at about $100 a piece which represents the value of the housing alone, allowing nothing for the electronic component portion.
#-o

The Fall (Oct) What HiFi magazine issued a warning about this scam. They even got a pair and tested them out. They apparently claim the units have no internal bracing, terrible crossover, terrible speakers etc. resulting in a boomy, resonant mess.

Hometheater Magazine did a humorous article in their April 2001 issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back