Looking for a Quality Cheap 27"-31" HDTV for gaming

kanan

CAG Veteran
I'm looking for a good deal on a HDTV that is somewhere around 27-31 inches or so. I will use it mostly for gaming, but it would be nice if it had a built in HDTV tuner. Component video would be a nice perk, but isn't essential. Anybody know of any cheap ass deals that fit this description?

Cheap and HDTV seem to be enemies right now, almost an ironic statement, if you will: a Quality Cheap HDTV. But the prices are coming down. I would wait until After Thanksgiving Sales this fall, but if you can't scour ads for the best deal. I have found that in the past Rex was one of the easiest places for me to negotiate lower prices right on the show floor (hope they're still in business :D).

If you want a quality HDTV display for gaming, get yourself a nice 21" VGA monitor and a conversion box from Lik-Sang.

Otherwise cough up $1500 for the real thing. I have a 32" Sony XBR, and I couldn't be happier with it. Progressive Scan, DVI input, and more video ins than many receivers. Costs money to play like the pros ;)

-- Fuji

That tv is not for sale anymore (if it is its on clearance) but your best bet is a vga box and not anything that says universal or redant. x2vga.com has a good one for 65 bucks. Plus you don't get screwd with 20 dollar shipping.

I'm no expert on conversion boxes, but LS seemed to have a good variety at many price points. I defer to your judgement, though.

Keep in mind that progressive scan gaming also makes "lower" resolution games seem "pixely". Gamecube in particular (or any game using 640p) can look a little blocky, but clear as a bell. The higer scan XBox games are truly gorgeous.

Does anyone know for a fact if PS/2 supports p-scan games? I know GC and XBox do. (component video is not the same as progressive scan)

I picked up a 20 inch monitor for $100 with 2 switchable inputs for computer and Xbox. Picked up the VDigi VD-Z3 converter for around $70. Was worth every penny, it looks like a completely different game compared to my 1986 RCA (with those 2 screw connectors on the back, no coaxial). If you are intent on a TV, Bestbuy has a 27 inch HDTV for $450, though I've seen it on sale for just under $400. If you want widescreen, a few vendors sell a Phillips 30 inch widescreen refurb HDTV for $600 shipped, though it doesn't support 720p. An example of one is here:

http://www.electronicsnation.com/en/products/flypage/prod_id/30PW850H

Walmart seems to have a crappy non-flat (extremely curvy screen) 32 inch HDTV for $500 on clearance.

Better off going the monitor/converter route, unless you can wait until around Christmas, when HDTV prices are going to drop hard.

A note about converter boxes: The Vdigi and the X2VGA are the 2 best out there. I prefer the Vdigi because it has HD inputs instead of connecting to the back of the Xbox, so you can attach other systems. But they've stopped shipping orders until their new model is out.

I didn't think you could buy an HDTV without component inputs (ex: how else would you get progressive scan from your console, dvd player, or anything else? s-video and composite don't support progressive scan)

I got a Sony 52" HDTV with 1080p support at Best Buy one day as an open box deal for $1050 plus tax. It was missing the manual (download and print a pdf version), and the remote (universal). If you have time I'd look around for a deal like that.

Cheap, Quality & HDTV aren't usually found in one item. If you want quaility, you'll be paying at least $900 bucks. If you just want HDTV for the sake of having it, get the $450 one at Best Buy.

BB is always a good place to look. I have a 27" toshiba flat and the 34" sony hd widescreen from there. Nobody could beat the price and all the lcd/dlp tv's are keeping the prices down on the flat screens. Just don't buy a projection tv. They are dinosaurs.

yah the 27inch Advent HDTV at bestbuy is 449 i think
it was 499 a week ago. looks like the new regular price is now 449.

Pretty good deal

We have a panasonic hdtv 27inch that is 549

And then the 32 hdtv toshiba is 899
then the 32inch hdtv samsung for 799

We had 1 tube tv that has a built in tuner. that was the 32inch hdtv zenith i think was 899

Thank you for all of your input.
Some of you have said that the price of HDTVs will drop considerably after Christmas. What basis do you have to believe this? If this is the case, I might just pick up one of those Dvigi things for $50, and wait 6-12 months to get an HDTV that would be good for gaming and under $400. Does DVigi work well with systems other than XBox such as PS2? The Advent one is a tempting purchase though, but if I could get an even better one and just spend $50 today, that would be the more prudent option.

I have been waiting about 4 years to upgrade to HDTV, with the hope that the price would fall into my range. I got an XBox a few days ago, but my 1990 24" Toshiba isn't cutting it. Ninja Gaiden looks nothing like the screen shots on my TV, its just way too fuzzy and not vibrant at all. So after a day of playing it, I decided I just couldn't play my XBox on such a TV.

well everything will drop after time.
thats a fact with electronics.

They have been way behind with getting Hdtv Tube tv's Which IMO are 100 time better then the current big screens because of glare issues. (unless you buy the cool new DLP hdtvs)

I get the 899+tax toshiba one for about 623.00+tax since i work there
so its tempting for me but im still waiting for one to have built in tuner (only had 1 so far and thats the zenith)

I bought a 2499 tv for about 1700 bucks with my discount 2 years ago
1 year after i bought it . it was selling for 1799new in stores
It droped huge over 1 years time
(was a 57inch toshiba)

So yes they will drop eventually. like they always do.

Some of you have said that the price of HDTVs will drop considerably after Christmas. What basis do you have to believe this?

They're building more plants in China to mass produce HDTV components for the holiday season and beyond. That, in addition to the usual price wars during the holidays, will bring prices down.

Does DVigi work well with systems other than XBox such as PS2?

Yes, the VDigi VD-Z3 (wish they'd get a better name) works with Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube, since it has component inputs, opposed to the other one that just connects to the back of the xbox. I haven't tried it with an HDTV tuner yet, but their new model is supposed to support it. They're not accepting orders until their new model is out though so you might have to wait a couple weeks. The site is http://www.vdigi.com. Would make this a lot easier if MS would just make a 1st party adapter, I don't think anyone is going to confuse an Xbox with a computer anymore.

But yeah, I would either buy the adapter and wait on the TV, or just wait and not buy anything. If you have a big monitor I'd definitely go for it.

bread's done
Back