PSP voted "Best in Show" for E3

Am I the only one that thinks that the PSP reeks of the Game Gear? i.e. expensive, no battery life, sounds too good to be true, etc.

I really do believe that the PSP had a great deal of potential; the problem is that is has many obstacles to overcome before it can be a success.

One other thing. Sony always touts themselves as being for the older, urbanite gamer. But the only reason they have succeeded is because the average joe buys their system. And the average joe doesn't have $300 to spend on a hand held system, and is unwilling to pay $50 for a hand held game. The average joe will stick with their regular Game Boy.

no way am I droping more then 200 bucks on a portable system. Sony is on crack if they expect me to pay that much. Plus I know sony will try to sell the launch games for 50 bucks.

I think it still bares mentioning that it's not out yet and we dont know what the actual price will be or it's battery life on real life use.

If games do come out with regular PS2 size price points let's hope they're full sized original games to make it worth it.

You are going to have to baby the PSP with a gingerly touch. It is NOT a gameboy type device in the least imo. Having such an expensive screen constantly exposed without any simple cover while not in use is stupid. I need to carry around the PSP AND a cover case to keep it scratch free? Weak. You have to be mindful of how you set it down, can't even think about dropping it even a foot or carry it in your pocket (scratches and the analog nub looks fairly fragile and ready to catch all types of string). It's also not very comfortable, has a motor drive (battery life byebye as well as moving parts) and the price of games so far does look to be $49, which is dumb. Try $34 tops. I gave it a good whirl at E3 and was impressed only by it's beautiful screen and visual quality. It's definitely an older kids toy as there is no way I would buy my son one of these (or even my 14yr old brother!). It simply won't stand up to the rigors of Pokemondom :)

It's pure, unadultarated BS! I can't see how the PSP can get Best In Show, unless panel who voted were in Sony's pocket. All they had there was the system and VIDEO of what the system can do, and nothing playable. Oh, but it has such a nice and large screen! Yeah, and imagine that with a big crack in the center when you drop it, leave it in your backpack or give it to a child. But the games look great! Yeah, we've been seeing this for 5 friggin years on the PS2! And Sony was not forward about price or battery life. Basically they said that you can play 10 hours of music or two hours of video. What about playing games? They wouldn't say, but judging from the time given from video, I would say two hours. And as for price, it wouldn't be lower than $300. This is about the equivalent of a Pocket PC, and those run about $400+. The critics pretty much took the "dumb blonde" approach to picking out Best In Show. Sure, it's pretty, but there wasn't a whole lot of substance to it.

I would have picked the DS, simply because it was so much more than what Nintendo said it was to be. I didn't expect the system to have 3-D capabillities, and although I knew the system would have a touch screen, I didn't know how it would be utillized. When the system was unveiled, it all made sense. And they had PLAYABLE demos as well. Sure, they might be tech demos, but at least you can interact with these systems. And I believe they were forward about battery life as well.

Sure, the PSP is nice, and it's a nice thought to play your PS2 games on the go. But when it comes down to what is practical, the DS wins.

[quote name='Tromack']Am I the only one that thinks that the PSP reeks of the Game Gear? i.e. expensive, no battery life, sounds too good to be true, etc.[/quote]

Sounds more like N Gage to me.

PSP is definitely super cool & nice~ :lol: I don't really think that's expensive at all provided the quality and games you get from playing it. it's outlook is so temping & stylish~ even tho i don't wanna see GBA/DS be screwed by sony as I am also playing GBA as well....but i really think nintendo should seriously consider to re-design the DS...it looks bad.....also, i don't see much use for that dual screens except to make it seem to sound cool :roll:

Yeah, the DS is ugly as hell. I hope Nintendo fixes that. It shouldn't be too hard. I mean every previous Game Boy looks better, except for possibly the original.

yea man~ exactly~ DS don't look professional at all and it is already defeated by PSP by the outlook without even having released yet. If nintendo do not want to follow history the SEGA saturn, which has been screwed by the PS, they should really start working harder now. GBA is domainating the handheld gaming industry now......but i can feel that sony PSP will be doing so well that it may change the handheld history after it is released. personally, i really want GBA to survive >.< but I am into the Sony Styles as well~ PSX is so temping too, :)

ok so we've heard the nintendo fanboy's opinions, how about some other people respond?

i'm guessing yall have inside connections with top sony people, since you know how much the psp is going to cost.. how much the games are gonna cost and everything..

Am I the only one that thinks that the PSP reeks of the Game Gear? i.e. expensive, no battery life, sounds too good to be true, etc.

they have not released the price, or the battery life, so how can u say its expensive and has no battery life? ... no i dont think ur the only one that thinks this, i'm sure all of the other nintendo fanboys are with you.

and the price of games so far does look to be $49, which is dumb. Try $34 tops

i'm guessing you are saying the games are $49 because of websites that have them for $49.99 right now? the websites set games at the maximum price that they will possibly be sold at, so they wont be selling the games lower than they're supposed to when they're released.

One other thing. Sony always touts themselves as being for the older, urbanite gamer. But the only reason they have succeeded is because the average joe buys their system. And the average joe doesn't have $300 to spend on a hand held system, and is unwilling to pay $50 for a hand held game. The average joe will stick with their regular Game Boy.

.. sony has not said that the price will be $300, and they havent said the game prices will be $49. casual gamers also won't pay $199 for a DS, so i agree that they'll buy a "regular gameboy."

no way am I droping more then 200 bucks on a portable system. Sony is on crack if they expect me to pay that much. Plus I know sony will try to sell the launch games for 50 bucks.

another nintendo fanboy with insider connections in sony. While we're talking about screwed up pricing, i'd like to point out the classic NES series for the GBA. mainly Super Mario.. which is the same as Super Mario Deluxe, but with less features and a higher price. nuff said.

You are going to have to baby the PSP with a gingerly touch. It is NOT a gameboy type device in the least imo. Having such an expensive screen constantly exposed without any simple cover while not in use is stupid. I need to carry around the PSP AND a cover case to keep it scratch free? Weak. You have to be mindful of how you set it down, can't even think about dropping it even a foot or carry it in your pocket (scratches and the analog nub looks fairly fragile and ready to catch all types of string). It's also not very comfortable, has a motor drive (battery life byebye as well as moving parts) and the price of games so far does look to be $49, which is dumb. Try $34 tops. I gave it a good whirl at E3 and was impressed only by it's beautiful screen and visual quality. It's definitely an older kids toy as there is no way I would buy my son one of these (or even my 14yr old brother!). It simply won't stand up to the rigors of Pokemondom

-WHAT!?! we actually have to sit our psp down? we cant throw it at the table? DAMN!

-i believe nintendo released a thin clear thing that you put on your screen to prevent scratches? .. costs a dollar or two? problem solved.

-i always thought the analog stick went in and out by pressing it, but i dont remember i read that somewhere or just assumed it.

-u say u "gave it a whirl" and the guy that posted right after you said there was only a video of what it could do? how did you "give it a whirl" exactly?

Yeah, and imagine that with a big crack in the center when you drop it, leave it in your backpack or give it to a child

...any screen can crack, not just sony's.. imagine the DS's touchpad with a fat ass crack on it after you let a little kid play with it..

But the games look great! Yeah, we've been seeing this for 5 friggin years on the PS2!

lmao maybe i should mention the NES Classic series for GBA again.. havent we been seeing these for the last 18 years? give or take a year..

And Sony was not forward about price or battery life. Basically they said that you can play 10 hours of music or two hours of video. What about playing games? They wouldn't say, but judging from the time given from video, I would say two hours.

no.. watching streaming video would take alot more battery power than playing games.

And as for price, it wouldn't be lower than $300. This is about the equivalent of a Pocket PC, and those run about $400+.

no this is not like a pocket PC.. the only thing they really have in common is they both fit in your pocket.

but i really think nintendo should seriously consider to re-design the DS...it looks bad.....also, i don't see much use for that dual screens except to make it seem to sound cool

in my opinion, the DS looks like 2 Game.com's held together witha hinge, and the 2 screens just seem like a gimmick. The only purpose of the 2nd screen is to make it look like they're doing something innovative, so sell more handhelds. I'll just wait for the Nintendo TS to be released, and then i'll buy the Nintendo DS SP.

this may sound like i'm a sony fanboy and that i hate nintendo, and i guess i might be. I kind of liked nintendo until they released the GBA SP after hyping it up like it was gonna be something badass. Then once i saw the Nintendo DS.. its obvious that its a gimmick just like the GBA SP was.

then nintendo released the classic NES GBA SP... for a higher price than the regular GBA SP. Then they released the Classic NES Series..

that has pretty much so turned me against nintendo.

[quote name='Cracka']

then nintendo released the classic NES GBA SP... for a higher price than the regular GBA SP. Then they released the Classic NES Series..

that has pretty much so turned me against nintendo.[/quote]

Yea ever since squaresoft re-released they're classics on the Sony, I just can't stand playing those either...same with the Namco classics or the activision classics....shit....I'm turned against every game company cause they've all re-relased games. I hate Half-life the most though...they just kept releasing the same version for 5 years....ARG!

Seriously, Arguing on the net is pointless...not to mention that the PSP is as much a gimmick as the DS is. Knowing Sony they'll create a demand by only releasing a case of them.

Good post Cracka!

People are complaining endlessly about price, battery life, games, and anything else they can think of just because they can't imagine anything as good as a friggin gameboy.

What Sony is doing is what Sony did wayyyyy back when they released the PS1 and critics were screaming the same things back then. They have the money and support from the industry and the PSP will surely be a success.

And for people complaing about price, I have one word for you:

iPod

People buy that overpriced thing nonstop and all it does it play music.

and now we have heard from the Sony fanboys...

guess everything is equal now in the land of internet-arguing

Congratulations to all those who participated and don't forget to claim your prizes at the door when you leave

yea, i am not touching anything from nintendo until the last year with SP (or jumping back like 10 years before when I was playing nintendo super family computer) the gap between these 10 yrs, nintendo has just disappeared in my life~ I play SP cus it has some classic games that I played when I was a kid (there is no much other reasons I am playing GBA). for real video games enjoyment of cos i go for the high performance consoles such as PS2 and Xbox now. i don't hate nintendo, not a fan of it either~ rather, i kinda dislike Xbox that i think microsoft should stay within the computer business & I dont like much of their releases

I love my PS2 for the sheer amount of great games coming out at all times... I enjoy Gamecube as well and I don't think Nintendo is doing nearly as poorly as when N64 was out, I hated that machine.

Gameboy advance is great, and PSP looks amazing. I am afraid of spending money on it though, I rarely actually play my Gameboy Advance even though I like the games for it.

I just can't get into portable games as much as console games.

Wow, some of you people have big freakin blinders on.

PSP = Awesome machine, major drawbacks.

DS = Breath of fresh air, Nothing completely new or over the top.

i personnaly am rooting for the DS. Why? Just listening to the creators themselves sound so happy while trying to think of ideas of how to use the many new options the DS gives them.

PSP i want due to great graphics, movie playback, well known PS2 game sequels. Unfortunately, i already own a PC, so the movie bit doesnt do anything for me at all, especially with how limited the selection *probably* will be.

Whichever person was going on about people being "realy close to Sony" to know that the system will be quite expensive and that the battery life will be poor...well, if you go and read all the interviews around the net with sony reps, thats the info you'll get. Price i wont even get into, but if the psp uses up the battery as fast as my axim (which has no cd drive) than you can expect very little in the way of playtime

Yeah, I'm just saying what I've been reading. I haven't read a single article that says that the PSP is going to be inexpensive or have a long battery life, I have however read a lot of articles stating what I said, or at least asking the same questions I have. And I am not a Nintendo fanboy. I believe that the DS is ugly as hell, and is probably no more than a gimmick. I own a PS2 and PS. I own an Xbox. However, just because I question a game company doesn't mean that I am a fanboy for one of the other companies. So fuck you.

my biggest problem with the PSP winning best in show award is it wasnt really playable at E3. From what I read there was like a tech demo on it but thats it. The award is supposed to go to the best playable game or system of the show.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']my biggest problem with the PSP winning best in show award is it wasnt really playable at E3. From what I read there was like a tech demo on it but thats it. The award is supposed to go to the best playable game or system of the show.[/quote]

apparently you could use buttons to skip chapters like a dvd. yippie, wee, woohoo. DS may not have had the killer ap everyone wanted, but Hunters, Mario 64x4 and all those tech demos actually gave you an idea of how the console actually works, not just a replay of a game.

no.. watching streaming video would take alot more battery power than playing games.

They've already discussed the fact that designers will have to alter the way they make their games, using Jak 2 as an example. Jack streams data to remove load times when moving about in the city, something that would not be feasible with the PSP, due to the fact that the constant disc reading will reduce battery life to the low-end of 2 hours. I'd place the gametime battery life somewhere around 4-5 hours, which depending upon how you use your portable gaming system wouldn't be so bad.

Currently, I have a three hour per day commute, meaning that I charge my SP roughly twice per week [more to ensure that I will have enough juice to last the trip---nothing better than running out of battery power mid-game, mid-trip]. With a PSP, it would seem as though I'd be charging nearly once a day---if the battery is of good enough quality, charging it once per day isnt so bad, either. I do that with my cell phone.

The thing I worry about with the PSP is its durability. Sony has yet to prove that they can make a dependable console, much less a portable one. The first PS was error prone, and the PS2 is among the worst consumer electronics products ever created (most prone-to-failure). I love both systems, mind you, but damned if I'll put up with a finicky portable version.

I will be waiting at least a year before I pick up a PSP for two reasons.

1) Sony needs to prove that this sucker is dependable, and that I won't have to baby the damn thing during my commute.

2) I want to see if this UMD format takes off. No point in paying for a portable movie player if the movies are too expensive or too rare.

There were serveral tech demos not just one, each spotlighting specific abilities. Metal gear acid wasnt playable but you could adjust the angle at anytime to prove that it wasnt video. The demos showed lots of graphics muscle and that it was highly capable of giving you the PS2 experience in a portable device.

The reps at E3 could only give rought estimates on batery life so nothing they said can be taken as an absolute on price or batterylife, even certain functions were still being worked on.

I think the reason the DS didnt get best of show is that while it had functional games they were far weaker technically, This would seem to suggest the voteres where simply looking for things with the best graphical POP for their eyes. The DS wasnt a slouch in the graphics dept but if you were going to get an exact graphical portable version of Mario64 it'd be much more true and accurate on the PSP while the DS was using flat sprites for thins that were fully 3d on the N64. The touch screen is a nice gimick but there still remains questions on just how usefull it could end up being, theres no question as to the viability of video playback though. Instant messagin? the thing has a keyboard attachment and an ext. port for wifi so technically the only thing the PSP dosent have over the DS is the touch screen.

man, touch screen~ yea, that is one of the shit function that I don't really see the point of usage in a video game console!!! what is the point of that!?!?! I don't get it and it don't sound cool, instead, it sounds stupid. nintendo is doing things that aren't innovative at all, but pretended to be...DS just looks bad, unless it is redesigned...it will look like a crap from it's fat and unprofessional outlook :?

[quote name='Alpha2']There were serveral tech demos not just one, each spotlighting specific abilities. Metal gear acid wasnt playable but you could adjust the angle at anytime to prove that it wasnt video. The demos showed lots of graphics muscle and that it was highly capable of giving you the PS2 experience in a portable device.

The reps at E3 could only give rought estimates on batery life so nothing they said can be taken as an absolute on price or batterylife, even certain functions were still being worked on.

I think the reason the DS didnt get best of show is that while it had functional games they were far weaker technically, This would seem to suggest the voteres where simply looking for things with the best graphical POP for their eyes. The DS wasnt a slouch in the graphics dept but if you were going to get an exact graphical portable version of Mario64 it'd be much more true and accurate on the PSP while the DS was using flat sprites for thins that were fully 3d on the N64. The touch screen is a nice gimick but there still remains questions on just how usefull it could end up being, theres no question as to the viability of video playback though. Instant messagin? the thing has a keyboard attachment and an ext. port for wifi so technically the only thing the PSP dosent have over the DS is the touch screen.[/quote]

yeah but that means you are goin to have to buy another ad on, which will just make it cost more to be equal wi fi with the DS, plus the keyboard will prob cost extra. Its just too high for something that is overly non-needed. Why the heck am I goin to buy another version of the same movie.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever'][quote name='Alpha2']There were serveral tech demos not just one, each spotlighting specific abilities. Metal gear acid wasnt playable but you could adjust the angle at anytime to prove that it wasnt video. The demos showed lots of graphics muscle and that it was highly capable of giving you the PS2 experience in a portable device.

I think the reason the DS didnt get best of show is that while it had functional games they were far weaker technically, This would seem to suggest the voteres where simply looking for things with the best graphical POP for their eyes. The DS wasnt a slouch in the graphics dept but if you were going to get an exact graphical portable version of Mario64 it'd be much more true and accurate on the PSP while the DS was using flat sprites for thins that were fully 3d on the N64. The touch screen is a nice gimick but there still remains questions on just how usefull it could end up being, theres no question as to the viability of video playback though. Instant messagin? the thing has a keyboard attachment and an ext. port for wifi so technically the only thing the PSP dosent have over the DS is the touch screen.[/quote]

yeah but that means you are goin to have to buy another ad on, which will just make it cost more to be equal wi fi with the DS, plus the keyboard will prob cost extra. Its just too high for something that is overly non-needed. Why the heck am I goin to buy another version of the same movie.[/quote]

I think the UMD thing would be a great addition to Special Edition DVD releases. In addition to a special features disc, they give you the movie on a UMD. Otherwise I'd be hard pressed to pay more than $10 for a UMD movie, and even then only for my absolute FAVORITE movies.

*referring to the text i have bolded up top there* Where do you get the idea that they are using flat sprites for 3D objects? Did I miss that particular news tidbit?

[quote name='CarmenJubei']man, touch screen~ yea, that is one of the shit function that I don't really see the point of usage in a video game console!!! what is the point of that!?!?! I don't get it and it don't sound cool, instead, it sounds stupid. nintendo is doing things that aren't innovative at all, but pretended to be...DS just looks bad, unless it is redesigned...it will look like a crap from it's fat and unprofessional outlook :?[/quote]

Nintendo has said many times that its still working on the exact look for the system. that should make half of your bitching go away.

"man, touch screen~ yea, that is one of the shit function that I don't really see the point of usage in a video game console!!! what is the point of that!?!?! " Thats the question all the developers had... and they answered wit everything from using as a seudo mouse (metroid) to using your own style to create characters (pac-man).

bread's done
Back