Half-Life Code Thieves Nabbed

cagbot

Banned

Game developer Valve Software says authorities have arrested multiple suspects in connection with the Half-Life 2 code theft. The game code was stolen and posted online last year. By Noah Shachtman.

Read more...

Source: Wired News: Joystick
Technology, and the way we do business, is changing the world we know. Wired News is a technology - and business-oriented news service feeding an intelligent, discerning audience. What role does technology play in the day-to-day living of your life? Wired News tells you. How has evolving technology changed the face of the international business world? Wired News puts you in the picture.

[quote name='zewone']Wow good catch. You too cagbot! I hope those suckers get what they deserve for making everyone who has to wait for this game because of them.[/quote]

yeah, that is why we have to wait. even if it hadnt been stolen we would still be waiting, this just gave them the perfect opportunity to delay it as long as theyd like.

it was a conspiracy... i bet it was never stolen.. they just posted some false code on the internet to buy themselves time.

jk

It wasnt delayed because of the leak, If you had a chance to look at the code you could see how little it was done, they just blamed in on the theft.

[quote name='SpookyD']It wasnt delayed because of the leak, If you had a chance to look at the code you could see how little it was done, they just blamed in on the theft.[/quote]
I always thought that. I heard that the source code was mostly the E3 stuff and heavly scriped. Anyone know if this is true.

I still don't understand how they could STEAL it from all the computers. It's not like theres one folder on one of the computers. How did a playable version get online? Did they just put what they stole one? Couldn't valve just use that? Bleh, i'm probably unedcuated on the whole matter...whatever.....i'm pissed that someone would steal it if they were a fan.

I was suspicious of this from the begining too. Did they steal THE code? Like there were no other copies of it and they couldn't proceed with their development because it was gone from their database? I doubt it. It was just an excuse for some publicity and a story to pass around some blame for the delay of this game. Somebody stole a copy of some code, boo hoo -- keep working you freaking lazy morons. Quit your moaning and finish the freaking game already.

My understanding was that they tapped in through a high up's Outlook program and probed around his computer until they found what was that day's final code. It wasn't that there was like 80% of the game done. It was like 30% done but the 30% they got included all the anti-duplication, online security and the game engine. So even if they didn't have much of "THE GAME" they had everythign Valve really needed to keep the game secure and cheat free.

How bad would they have been screwed if the disc was copyable by everyone out there and mods were existence from day one? It wasn't how much of the game these guys got that caused the hangup or delays. It was WHAT they got that caused so much trouble.

It's like giving someone the source code to Xbox Live and all the security protocols within. That's what someone explained to me as.

OK, well that makes sense. But why haven't they finished 'the game' yet? All that other stuff is somebody elses job, not the guys who actually work on the 'gameplay' part of the game. This game and Halo 2 better kick major ass or someone will have lots of 'splainin to do!

I don't mean just be really cool games, I mean kick major ass and move the genre to a new plateau kinda thing. Otherwise all of this wait, wait, wait, and wait some more thing is really going to contribute to the game industry crash by disappointing a lot of gamers.

If Half Life 2 and Halo 2 suck ass the industry might collapse. I have no other belief than that these two games are going to set the world on fire and make the originals look like Castle Wolfenstein 3-D.

The industry learned from E.T. and the 2600 Pac Man. I have yet to know of any sequel of these calibur sthat failed to deliver 70% of expectations. Halo 2 and Half Life 2 are GOTY's for the platform and PC. Take it to the bank.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']If Half Life 2 and Halo 2 suck ass the industry might collapse. I have no other belief than that these two games are going to set the world on fire and make the originals look like Castle Wolfenstein 3-D.

The industry learned from E.T. and the 2600 Pac Man. I have yet to know of any sequel of these calibur sthat failed to deliver 70% of expectations. Halo 2 and Half Life 2 are GOTY's for the platform and PC. Take it to the bank.[/quote]

Agreed.

if half life 2 and halo 2 down pwn, i am personally gonna kill the gaming industry.. somehow...

... I'm not getting it... what exactly is it that makes HL so freaking hard to finish even aside from this? I mean I've never cared much for he game myself so I just never paid attention to whats special about it.

DUDES! Have you seen the HL2 movies???

The game is absolutely incredible.

It will be a boon for the entire PC industry as a TON of people will be upgrading just for this game.

I barely know shit about PC gaming, but I was watching a fairly new episode of G4TV.com yesterday, and they were talking about this subject. They were acting like this thievery delayed it's game from the original last September release. I don't know what I'm talking about, but isn't this straight bullshit? I don't really care either way--just wondering.

The stolen code could be cracked and manipulated, allowing hacks and cheats that can bypass the system completely. The delay was neccessary to fix the code to prevent these problems.

Or so we're told...

Its kind of bullshit because so little was actualy done. They used the stole code as an excuse for the delays and whoever stole it got pissed and released everything they had, at least thats how it looked when things are put into sequence. I don't have first hand info but i've been told about it from someone alot wiser than me about these things.

[quote name='SpookyD']Its kind of bullshit because so little was actualy done. They used the stole code as an excuse for the delays and whoever stole it got pissed and released everything they had, at least thats how it looked when things are put into sequence. I don't have first hand info but i've been told about it from someone alot wiser than me about these things.[/quote]

Not true at all. It was enough code to run a game. It was basically the engine. They didnt get any levels or graphics but they got the engine which is more important than anything else. People were making game builds of Half-Life with the HL2 engine.

[quote name='bmulligan']I was suspicious of this from the begining too. Did they steal THE code? Like there were no other copies of it and they couldn't proceed with their development because it was gone from their database? I doubt it. It was just an excuse for some publicity and a story to pass around some blame for the delay of this game. Somebody stole a copy of some code, boo hoo -- keep working you freaking lazy morons. Quit your moaning and finish the freaking game already.[/quote]

dude, they didnt delay it because there was no code to work with... how can you misunderstand this? they just wanted to do some unseen stuff to the game and prevent cracks and cheats for online gaming (esp future counter stike mod), and now the code is out they have to redesign, which i doubt they will do. and whats wrong with you ppl? why are we giving develpers so much heat? its not like they were the studio that crapped out Tomb Raider: AoD.

bread's done
Back