* * * * * 5 votes

CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

#811 gamefan1686   Its Go Time! CAGiversary!   264 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

gamefan1686

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:42 AM

Cheapy and Wombat

I know both of you are guitar hero fans and was wondering if you are going to pick up guitar hero 2 for the ps2 or possibly wait for the 360 version. Do the xbox 360 achievements and possible market place d/l content give you enough reason to wait and re-invest in a new guitar?

#812 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   18055 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:30 PM

Last call for CAGcast 48!

#813 Richlough   ... CAGiversary!   3738 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:57 PM

Lately I've witnessed a couple of disappearing threads.

One popluar thread centered around obtaining a PS3 reservation. After a hundred or so replies, it got into a debate of the ethics of buying a system just to 'ebay' it. So I checked the politics area. No sign of it... Hmm, where did it go?

Next, I started a thread detailing a way you can get free microsoft marketplace points by signing up for true.com. A number of people got their points, and some are still waiting. But the thread itself disappeared. Many are asking what happened to the thread in this new dialogue:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=111332

So why do some threads disappear. If the True.com promotion was not giving out the points anymore, shouldn't the thread be edited to indicate as such? Why leave CAG's out in the cold? Are the Mods just being censor-happy, or just merging threads?

If they are merging threads, then my way of tracking comments isn't working- I click on my name then "Find all Posts by XXX"; my comments are not in my list of posts!

Two more questions: I didn't think you liked the PS3 Cheapy. Why the urge to pre-order? What do you think of people buying the system just to turn around and sell it?

Please answer the disappearing thread question .

I've noticed two myself lately , why not just lock them and send them to "limbo or purgatory" like the deal graveyard .
Then they can still be viewed .

#814 Technique   I AM THE SECRAT INGREDINT CAGiversary!   2390 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 02:36 PM

If you could make any Wii game you wanted, what game would you make that would take advantage of all of the Wii's cool features?

#815 Walt Jay   Gamerscore Whore CAGiversary!   1471 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:19 PM

Question:

When I click on an Amazon (or any) link from cheapassgamer.com and it takes me to a particular product and I buy it, CheapyD gets a paid, right? I believe the answer is yes.

My follow-up question for the CAGBag is if I click on an Amazon (or any) link on cheapassgamer.com and it takes me to the main page, i.e. www.amazon.com, and I browse around and buy something during that session, does CheapyD get paid or does it have to be a direct link to the product?

In that case, since I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon.com, I wouldn't mind getting to Amazon.com via the cheapassgamer.com link if it meant helping CheapyD and the site.

#816 PlumeNoir   Ch'p is still a badass CAGiversary!   7191 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:40 PM

Last call for CAGcast 48!

Well, you said last week you'd do my question from last week this week (which I understand if you don't due to the length), so my replacement question (if needed) is: was that Wombat that sent me the 360 friend invite? Even though it said Cagcast, they didn't have all of Oblivion's nerd points, so I just know it can't be Womabt! ;)

#817 DesertEagleXIX   Semper Economus! CAGiversary!   3249 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

DesertEagleXIX

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:59 PM

Wombatman and CheapyD: How many games do each of you own? What is your philosophy on your collections (i.e. sell when the price is high, hold on hoping your cheap games will be worth a bit more one day, etc)

Big Ass Chains < Cheap Ass Games

#818 Mindzeye82   Invite me to your game! CAGiversary!   352 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Mindzeye82

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:09 PM

Hi Guys,

My 360, which I bought in July, crapped out on me at the beginning of September. I'll skip the rants about a console that breaks two months after purchase (Microsoft was pretty good about replacing the machine). But now that I have my "refurb" console, its working about as well as an old NES. More than 1/2 the time that I try to start the machine it up, it makes weird noises and just stares at me (the 360 start up screen does not load). I have to turn it off, wait a sec, and try again about 3 to 5 times before it finally turns on.

Then, of the times that it turns on, 75% of the time I get a disk read error or a white screen telling me to put the game in a 360 console. I actually have to take the game out, blow on it, put it back in the system, and cross my fingers that it will work!

If the game actually does start, there are a few times when the system will actually crash and I'll lose my progress. Hello Mega Man II?

I enjoy nostaligic gaming as much as anyone else, but come the Fuck on!

Have either of you guys had any trouble like this with your 360's? (especially wombat who had his replaced)

Love the podcast, keep up the good work.

#819 thorbahn3   News Editor Super Moderators   4232 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:42 PM

I notice you're always saying "tax free" on all the deals you mention on the cagcast and the site. Well, I've been getting taxed up the ass via netflix, overstock, etc. Not only that but I've been told on CAG you're suppose to pay the sales tax every time you do you're yearly taxes. Would you please stop saying the deals are tax free?

Link: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=111707

#820 MrX   Uosdwis R. Dewoh CAGiversary!   473 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 05:38 AM

Cheapy and or Wombat:

Are you starting to feel like the old creepy man in the school yard with candy trying to get the little kiddies to come your way? It seems the avg. age of caggers in the forums is of those in high school. I think there should be an adults only version of cag as it seems the message boards are becoming more and more a place to become a winner is you and argue with people over the interwebs than it is about video games or cheapness for that matter

#821 greenpea   MMMMMM....Turkey CAGiversary!   2439 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

greenpea

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:32 PM

Cheapy and or Wombat:

Are you starting to feel like the old creepy man in the school yard with candy trying to get the little kiddies to come your way? It seems the avg. age of caggers in the forums is of those in high school. I think there should be an adults only version of cag as it seems the message boards are becoming more and more a place to become a winner is you and argue with people over the interwebs than it is about video games or cheapness for that matter

The average age of Cagers is in the 20's or so. There have been a bunch of polls done in the past.

#822 Qslugs   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   128 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 03:33 PM

I have a question.

I've been thinking about how europe always gets stuff at a later date. I believe that Europe gets stuff later because of Eurpoean warranty laws.

http://www.wragge.co...ods_Jan2002.pdf

This is one of the only links I could quickly find dealing with this issue. If this is the case, than that means that the rest of the world is beta testing for Europe.

Here's another quick link:

http://www.cedarrapi...content&ext=pdf

I believe it is stating that Europe has a minimum 2 years product warranty on all consumer goods. 2 years is 1 year 9 months longer than what I got with my 360 here in the USA. (right?)

I bring this up because of Sonys delay and the problem with Blue Ray.

Anyone care to comment?

#823 jj00   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   1 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:40 PM

Hey guys:

Love the show.

I'm wondering your opinion on whether the extra time Sony is taking to release the PS3 will be all worth it in the end. As I look back over the last couple of years, I remember everyone being excited that such a powerful machine was being developed. Then as time went on it seemed that more and more people started to hate the thing.

Cheapy, you mentioned that the games you have seen for the PS3 at this time were better than the 360 games were at the same stage of development. Could this be a sign that the PS3 took longer because they were putting a better product out there?

I know it will all be speculation until the thing is actually released and had a few months to get out into the system, but that hasn't stopped anyone from giving their opinions so far.

Thanks for your time. I must be the worst gamer in history. I play N64 games on an emulator hooked up to my tv, and my portable gaming system consists of playing card games on my Treo 650. Pathetic, I know.

Thanks - jj

#824 lilboo   Not addicted to WoW CAGiversary!   18235 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:07 AM

Ok so I know the 2 of you have tried (Dunno if you bought it yet..) Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. How did ya like it? I know it's the exact same thing as the arcade--But do you think there should of been any special features? Even just the slightest? i.e. being able to unlock Mileena, Classic Sub-Zero, and Ermac AND BEING ABLE TO SAVE THEM!!!! Noob & Rain were hidden characters in the SNES/Genesis versions..so, why would of it been hard to just add them too? And my last question about this: Do you think it's possible for them to say, release an update (most likley for points) with the ability to add the 3 hidden characters (to stay), as well as add Noob and Rain into the game? If so, how much do you think it should cost???

#825 Finn123   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   6 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:26 AM

Here's a short question . . .

Now that it has been announced that online play over the Playstaion 3 service will be free, do you think Microsoft will make their Live service free (i.e. the Gold level)?

#826 PlumeNoir   Ch'p is still a badass CAGiversary!   7191 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:46 PM

Quick question for the next CAGcast: With Major Nelson revealing that you can buy money for the Godfather game and the Tiger Woods downloads, is EA going too far with its downloads?

By the way, thanks for going over my question last week. For the record, my wife told our babysitter about the 360, who told her boyfriend who told his friend who was the one who broke in. (He later went to jail for shooting someone.) Wombat, you don't need to feel bad - it was all in perspective anyway, because the break-in happened right after my mom died and no one was hurt in the break-in.

#827 weevles   No. CAGiversary!   17510 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:11 PM

Here's another 50th CAGcast question:

1) What were the top 3 deals to date that came out of CAG forums since the site started?

Here are general questions:

1) What do you think of Sony versus Lik-Sang and other importers?

2) Your opinions on the state of XBL--is MS offering enough content to justify the monthly service fees, do you think they are holding back until the competition gets up to speed, and how to do think they can improve given the upcoming online services from Nintendo and Sony?

#828 Matarick   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   148 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:02 PM

Wombat, is Deadpool and Cable in Marvel Ultimate Alliance even though Nathan Summers Askanison isn't Cable in the Ultimate Universe though?

I was thrilled about the possibility of Deadpool in the game but it isn''t worth getting a 360 if I cannot pair him up with Cable though. Also how is the multiplayer as in if each individual has to have the same TV resolution as the other players?

Happy 50th CheapyD and Wombat.

#829 thorbahn3   News Editor Super Moderators   4232 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:35 PM

CheapyD, you keep saying you want to get a PS3 so you can talk about it on the CAGcast. Well, how are you gonna get one? A fellow CAG, ebay, give up anal cherry; what is it?

#830 Tybee   Rowsdower! CAGiversary!   4105 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:35 PM

CheapyD, you keep saying you want to get a PS3 so you can talk about it on the CAGcast. Well, how are you gonna get one? A fellow CAG, ebay, give up anal cherry; what is it?

He already secured a pre-order on Amazon. See here:

http://www.cheapassg...eapy Amazon PS3

#831 Tybee   Rowsdower! CAGiversary!   4105 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:45 PM

You guys have touched on this in the past, but I'm curious about your take on the different pricing strategies employed by Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo.

Sony, at one end of the spectrum, is sticking with a model from the last two generations, taking a big loss on the console itself and trying to make it up on the software. Online will be free, with some exceptions.

Microsoft adopted a similar strategy (which hasn't paid off for them yet and may not until 2008 by their lastest estimate) but seems to have developed a new stream of revenue in the form of Xbox Live subscriptions and the XBL Marketplace.

Nintendo, conversely, is selling its console at a small profit, but will offer most online services for free. However, they too will have a significant online revenue stream in the Virtual Console.

Which strategy makes the most sense to you? What, in your opinion, are the advantages and disadvantages to each? Do you think selling a console at a loss, while ensuring a lower price initially (debatable with the PS3), ultimately guarantees that the customer is going to get nickled and dimed for everything from there on out, including online services? Would it not make more sense to charge what things cost plus a small margin so that aberrations like online consumables do not become necessary to ensure profitablity?

Answer this question insightfully and they might pay Cheapy next time he's on Bloomberg. ;)

#832 qpid   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   92 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:07 PM

Cheapy and Wombat,

A few shos back you had a discussion on tv shows that should be video games. I had a great idea, how about a G.I. Joe Tactical Shooter Game. It could be on XBL and maybe have 12v12 teams with each person play a different member of G.I. Joe or Cobra with objective based mission. I guess since I have to make this a question... Is this an awesome idea, a lame one or just so-so?

#833 SteveMcQ   I love Panda! CAGiversary!   7943 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 05:10 PM

CheapyD,

With the Holiday season rolling around and deals from retailers coming in hoping to entice shoppers to buy at their stores, I wanted to know your stance on CAGs trying to take "advantage" of certain game deals.

Take for instance the two past deals from TRU and BB. In the latter's instance, you could buy any game and get the point cards for $5. It was found that the $5 GOW pre-order could be used that comes with the free shirt. Here's what could be considered "issues": It seems a few users would hoard the pre-orders and point cards and also, there was discussion of shoppers returning these packaged items in order to take advantage of the $5 point cards.

What's your stance on that, especially regarding the deals in which you buy something and get a deal on another item when purchased on the same receipt? Is it the retail store's duty to take care of these loopholes? Or do you feel CAGs should take these deals in the manner they were intended? Or do you not care? Obviously it's hard to control what people do, but I'd hate for CAG to turn into and have the bad rap that FatWallet has at times.

#834 CorporalJackson   The real Banana boy! CAGiversary!   1150 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

CorporalJackson

Posted 29 October 2006 - 06:40 PM

What do you guys think of the leaked Halo 3 stuff? like a fish?

#835 thorbahn3   News Editor Super Moderators   4232 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:24 AM

He already secured a pre-order on Amazon. See here:

http://www.cheapassg...eapy Amazon PS3

Alright, Fuck that question. Since you got it pre-ordered, what Blu Ray discs will you pick up?

#836 natureboy46   Fields of Anfield Road CAGiversary!   408 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

natureboy46

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:14 PM

Wombat (and indeed Cheapy),

I was just watching X-Play (yeah, I'm the only person who'll admit to liking it) and I noticed something very strange. Right after the first review Kato Kaelin walked on the set with a milk carton and started sniffing it. He then says that there is something weird with the milk and tries to get Adam and Morgan to sniff it too.

My question to you is:
Do you think someone at G4 is a listener of the CAGcast and do you think they stole one of the tasks at your previous job for this bit?

It seems like a pretty random thing to do, even for X-Play.

Great work guys and a big congrats on the 50th episode.

Troy

#837 Mr.Answer   want a spatula? CAGiversary!   1512 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Mr.Answer

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:27 PM

What, from the first 50 cagcasts, will you be placing in the Cagcast time capsule that will be opened during cagcast #200?

#838 Jazar   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   40 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:50 PM

Quick Question:

There have been some great $40 Xbox 360 deals with Play-Asia thanks to region free code. Given that the PS3 will be region free for all titles, do you think Play-Asia wil have similar deals for PS3 games? I'd be very interested. Thanks!

-Jazar

#839 Wombat   CAGcast or nothin CAGiversary!   2385 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:50 PM

Wombat (and indeed Cheapy),

I was just watching X-Play (yeah, I'm the only person who'll admit to liking it) and I noticed something very strange. Right after the first review Kato Kaelin walked on the set with a milk carton and started sniffing it. He then says that there is something weird with the milk and tries to get Adam and Morgan to sniff it too.

My question to you is:
Do you think someone at G4 is a listener of the CAGcast and do you think they stole one of the tasks at your previous job for this bit?

It seems like a pretty random thing to do, even for X-Play.

Great work guys and a big congrats on the 50th episode.

Troy

I would have to watch it, and its not on the x-play website or youtube, damn you internets

#840 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   18055 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:10 PM

New show will be recorded tonight... Last call for questions!
Now would be a good time for those PS3 inquiries.