Guitar Hero thoughts and discussion

Droogs

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I've been playing it for around 4 hours straight and can't put it down. I'm loving the songs even though I wouldn't be caught dead listening to these tunes in public.

My only big problem so far is my pinky hurting...i can't say, i've ever used it much in gaming.

[quote name='mcgavin27']I really want this game but the damn $70 price tag.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy will clearance them out sooner or later, have faith.

While it looks great these rhythm games can never hold my attention for long. I end up staying all up all night for like a week, then put it away a bust it out only when I got a few buddies around. Also for the game and 2 guitars comes up to a total over $100+ ... ouch. Oh and no xbox version ... :cry:

I'm dying over here. Amplitude is my favorite next-gen title, and this is basically Amplitude with a guitar controller, apparently. >.>;

Played it yesterday...AND LOVED IT!

I usually don't like rythm games very much (due to my interest dying out after 4 or 5 songs and an altogether lack of rythm) but this game is...different somehow.

If you've ever, EVER wanted to wail on a guitar as a testament to your love of the Gods of Rock, buy this game. Totally worth the $70 price tag.

Don't have it, but plan to get it once there's a price drop. I really, really like the songs in the game. With other rhythm games, I probably only like 10-20% of the songs. With this, I like about 80% of the songs. Actual songs I can picture playing a guitar to.

[quote name='nachzeher']Don't have it, but plan to get it once there's a price drop. I really, really like the songs in the game. With other rhythm games, I probably only like 10-20% of the songs. With this, I like about 80% of the songs. Actual songs I can picture playing a guitar to.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Has anyone played both Guitar Hero and Guitar Freaks? I have Guitar Freaks 1st and 2nd mix with the Konami guitar and I'm not sure if it's worth picking up Guitar Hero since I already have Guitar Freaks and the money might be better spent on another music game like Beatmania IIDX (just have 5 key Beatmania), rather than buying another guitar game. But if it's really a better game than Guitar Freaks then I might reconsider.

I've only been able to play guitar freaks a couple of times at a Gameworks, but I didn't quite like it as much as i am guitar hero. For one, the songs make the game. And in this case, it's got the really catchy guitar riffs that i only wish i could play in real life. It's alittle more technical than guitar freaks due to the five fret buttons, which really works out the pinky finger that you would never consider using in guitar freaks.

Well I broke down and reserved the game so that way one is waiting for me when I get my ps2, which will prob be in a couple weeks depending on how much I trade in. Damn this game better be worth the 70 bucks but hey i'm not buying a 360 so and I got about half my x-mas shopping doen already so got plenty o' money to blow.

I think it has a pretty steep learning curve. I play drums, but I want to learn guitar. I picked it up and I can only do one or two songs on the easiest level.

It would have been better with a practice mode. I hate losing all the time.

I love drummania the most and Guitarfreaks is a fun bemani game of course (esp when you link them with keyboard mania) but yeah errr....

Anyone with this game already tested it with Guitarfreaks? I'm getting mixed signals on compatability. Logically speaking I don't see why they wouldnt make them compatable since both have tilt sensors for WAILING BONUS! and buttons should just be buttons. I've used my IIDX controller to play tekken 5 just for fun :D

[quote name='Blade']I think it has a pretty steep learning curve. I play drums, but I want to learn guitar. I picked it up and I can only do one or two songs on the easiest level.

It would have been better with a practice mode. I hate losing all the time.[/QUOTE]

Really? I SUCK at most rythm games, and I'm enjoying easy mode...I can even do a few on normal already.

The nice thing about this game, to me, is that it's not so incredibly complicated that I get frustrated...I enjoy the rush when I'm doing well, and it's one of the few games that makes me want to keep practicing to get better.

Big dissapointment from Gamefaqs

Alright, I just tested the controller on Guitar freaks 4/drum mania 3 and the controller did not work. I tried all 3 controller settings and none of them will allow you to hold down notes. The only one that came close was the second configuration, and that one doesn't work because for some reason the red button is held down the whole time and you can't stop it from being held down.

SO THE ANSWER IS.........NO, the guitar hero controller will not work with guitar freaks.

=( value points went down majorly

personally I was pretty interested in this game. Now it seems a must have, yet I can't bring myself to beleive I would like a game that was developed by the same people who made the one gaming series I have found no way to really enjoy, Frequencey/Amplitude. I can find ways to enjoy even the worse games in the industy, and yet I know these games don't suck and are very good, but I just can't enjoy them one bit... and I love music games... ???

There is a lot of misinformation about this. I work at Red Octane as a QA analyst and we have figured out a configuration that works.

Go into the Guitar Freak options and select TYPE C.

The buttons used will be Red, Yellow, and Orange.

This means that you will have to use your pinky finger to hit the blue notes on Guitar Freaks. The way the controller is wired is not specifically designed for Guitar Freaks so this may be uncomfortable, but the wail does work as well as up and down strumming.

YES! I hope this is true, i['m gonna mess with it

Oh my freaking lord my god damn pinky, why pinky why. I've been playing for an hour and my pinky is hurting, god dammit this game is amazing though. If you even remotely thought amplitude is cool, and play air guitar, your an idiot for not owning this!

Oh my God, this game is fun! I'm so glad I cancelled my Gamestop pre-order and got it at Best Buy now. I played through the first 3 venues on easy tonight, and I can't wait to play more tomorrow. Only problem I have is sometimes I swear I have the red button pushed down, but the game disagrees and I lose my combo... Not too often, though. It's probably just me blaming the poor defenseless controller.

I guess i'm a little dissapointed since there are apsects of guitar freaks I like better. The guitar it comes with is decently made, but I wish it was like the arcade guitar freaks ones. I assume i'll have to shift my hand for future songs which could take some getting used to since you dont really have to get used to guitar freaks. The game isn't flawless though. It definetly could use widescreen support for one, better character designs. It is a pretty damn good game though I'd say I still prefer guitar freaks.

But yup tested it with Guitarfreaks and it does work. WAiling bonus works
. Use config C.
Only problem is the button is like this

If only they kept 123 together =(. It's only 1 button off from being a perfect controller for guitarfreaks. Such a shame

so you can either put your thumb on the red extended and the other 2 fingers on the blue and orange, or you can use red then yellow and your pinky on orange.

I prefer the first method since i'm used to using those fingers associated with. It does make you cramp to extend your thumb though.

[quote name='Zoglog']The game isn't flawless though. It definetly could use widescreen support for one, better character designs. It is a pretty damn good game though I'd say I still prefer guitar freaks.[/QUOTE]

WTF? If there's one game I've played in the last year that DIDN'T need widescreen, I'd say it was this one. That's just being ridiculous for ridiculousness' sake.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']WTF? If there's one game I've played in the last year that DIDN'T need widescreen, I'd say it was this one. That's just being ridiculous for ridiculousness' sake.[/QUOTE]

As the industry moves forward there's no reason for devs not to have the option anymore. Plus in two player it helps immensely

I'm just not getting the revolutionary raves this game is getting though. Sure it's a fun game, but it isn't really all that different than Guitar Freaks. In fact I don't think the star power thing is all that great. The game is probably great for beginners like my girlfriend though. The scoring is rather lenient and timing is more lenient as wel.
I mean I beat Take me out Extreme on my 2nd try taking the game out of the box and I really am not that good at guitar freaks. I'd recon any of those people who play guitar freaks on extreme would find this game way too easy. Not to say the game isn't fun, I guess guitar freaks never reached a decent audience so people are screaming revolutionary =)

My wife and I pre-ordered two copies of this at Gamestop as they had been saying it would in Nov 1. Picked it up at Best Buy on the 2nd and Gamestop now says pre-order for delivery on the 7th. Hey Gamestop, just admit it is backordered. Glad I didn't wait, this game is fantastic! Finally a rhythm game that has songs I like. Going to have to go cancel my "preorder"!

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']personally I was pretty interested in this game. Now it seems a must have, yet I can't bring myself to beleive I would like a game that was developed by the same people who made the one gaming series I have found no way to really enjoy, Frequencey/Amplitude. I can find ways to enjoy even the worse games in the industy, and yet I know these games don't suck and are very good, but I just can't enjoy them one bit... and I love music games... ???[/QUOTE]

You can't enjoy Freq or Amp? :shock: :shame: :lol:

Anyone know the likelyhood of Red Octane getting sued over this game? I know they got sued for thier other DDR Clone and in the past Konami has sued the makers of Pump it Up various times. This game is not nearly as different as say amplitude to Beatmania since amplitude had different tracks and a whole bunch of elements. However if you take away 2 extra buttons and a whammy effect you effectively get the same game in 3d as guitarfreaks.

I know Harmonix and Konami have a working relationship so maybe they sorted this all out beforehand?

[quote name='evanft']And if you take the speed ball thingie from Sonic, it's essentially Mario.[/QUOTE]

talk about totally off

I got this game yesterday and I am loving it! This game was well worth the hefty $70 price tag. Now, I am off to play some more...

Did anyone see Gamestop's preowned price for this?

$39.99... that looks like a sweet deal, if they ever get one traded in.

I should be heading to Best Buy tomorrow to pick this up using the $5 off coupon. I just decided "what the hell" since I love Amplitude so much, $70 is a good price for a game that will have me playing for ages. I can't wait to get my hands on it!

[quote name='mcgavin27']damn, medium is hard. I am not use to using my fuckin pinky to play a game. Oh well, I am still having a blast.[/QUOTE]

No kidding! I took me a few tries to get the Ramones down on Med. I was easier once it occured to me that I can shift my hand down to red/yellow/blue for the second half of the song... Smoke on the Water is going to be the death of me, though... And this is only the first level of medium... Hand hurts so much... :)

Now that i've been playing a few days...My pinky is used to being used in ways it's never been used before. I have beaten every hard song and have now moved to the expert. Wish me luck..

ok guys i might be tripping out, but after playing guitar hero for like an hour straight and then looking at the floor or basically anything, i start tripping out. like images get stretched and stuff. am i crazy or is this happening to anyone else? but anyways, awesome game for any fans of rock/metal or just guitar in general.

Great music and hallucinogenic effects?

This game looks so awesome that it almost makes me wish I bought a PS2 instead of a DS. Oh well, I'll be getting the system soon enough...

Until then, it's just regular old real electric guitar for me.

bread's done
Back