The ACLU sues over a cross honoring fallen soldiers--and cashes in.

CTLesq

CAGiversary!
http://www.opinionjournal.com/taste/?id=110006747

High Noon at Sunrise Rock
The ACLU sues over a cross honoring fallen soldiers--and cashes in.

BY CHRISTOPHER LEVENICK
Friday, May 27, 2005 12:01 a.m. EDT

Just west of the California-Nevada border, 11 miles south of the freeway that connects San Diego with Las Vegas, a small hill rises above the sun-baked floor of the Mojave Desert. Atop that hill stands a six-foot cross, fashioned out of four-inch-diameter steel pipe. That dusty hilltop and its lonely marker just might become the scene of the most significant church-state controversy since last year's fight over the Pledge of Allegiance.

In 1934, a gritty prospector named J. Riley Bembry gathered a couple of his fellow World War I veterans at Sunrise Rock. Together they erected the cross, in honor of their fallen comrades. The memorial has been privately maintained ever since, with small groups still occasionally meeting to remember the nation's veterans.

A wrinkle developed in 1994, when the federal government declared the surrounding area a national preserve. With the cross now located on newly public land, the memorial soon caught the attention of the American Civil Liberties Union. Working with Frank Buono, a retired park ranger turned professional activist, the ACLU demanded that the National Park Service tear down the cross.

Mr. Buono insists that his seeing the monument ("two to four times a year") violates his civil rights. A federal district court found in his favor, and the decision was subsequently upheld by the Ninth Circuit. Last-ditch attempts to deed Sunrise Rock over to the local Veterans of Foreign Wars were struck down in April. Defenders of the memorial hope to appeal, but their options are narrowing.

The ACLU, however, has made out quite nicely. Not only has it prevailed in the courts to date, but it has managed to pocket $63,000. Owing to a quirk in civil-rights law, the taxpayer once again ended up paying the ACLU for pressing a highly controversial church-state lawsuit.

The Civil Rights Attorney's Fees Award Act of 1976 specifies that anyone bringing an even partly successful civil-rights suit may have the plaintiff pay all legal fees for both parties, a discretionary award that is routinely granted. Such fee-reversals are not permitted to successful defendants. Congress meant for the law to help citizens with little or no money, but since then wealthy and powerful organizations have perverted that intention. They use the specter of massive attorney fees to force their secularist agenda on small school districts, cash-strapped municipalities and, now, veterans' memorials. According to Rees Lloyd, a former ACLU staff lawyer, such litigation is "manifestly in terrorem," intended to terrify defendants into settling out of court.

And what if the defendants don't knuckle under? For advocacy groups that use staff or volunteer lawyers as plaintiffs' counsel, the result is pure gravy. If they lose their cases, they have lost no money. If they win, defendants pay attorney's fees at the private sector's market rate, which the advocacy groups can keep for themselves.
Working to amend the Attorney's Fees Award Act is Rep. John Hostettler, a Republican from Indiana. Yesterday, he reintroduced the Public Expression of Religion Act, under which plaintiffs could still ask the courts to prevent governmental endorsement of religion--but could no longer soak the public for the privilege of being sued.

By eliminating the financial incentives for advocacy groups to take on trivial church-state cases, the measure would actually help restore the civil-rights law to its intended purpose. Equally important, it would signal that Congress is exercising its duty to correct the judicial branch when it goes astray of the Constitution.

Such is clearly the case here. If Buono v. Norton stands, the distance between the cross at Sunrise Rock and the headstones at Arlington National Cemetery will have effectively disappeared. It is only a matter of time until someone visits that field of heroes and takes offense at all the religious symbols inscribed in marble. Then the courts will have a hard time devising a principle by which those thousands of crosses on federal land are not as unconstitutional as the one in the desert.

Undoing the unholy mess the courts have made of the Establishment Clause will be the work of many years. In the meantime, Congress should at least deter those who would rather destroy veterans' memorials than allow them any religious symbols whatsoever. As Memorial Day approaches, swatting their hand from the taxpayer's pocket is a good place to start.

Mr. Levenick is the W.H. Brady doctoral fellow at the American Enterprise Institute in Washington.

What a suprise. fucking ACLU has nothing better to do than try to take down a God-damned memorial. "The ACLU, however, has made out quite nicely. Not only has it prevailed in the courts to date, but it has managed to pocket $63,000. Owing to a quirk in civil-rights law, the taxpayer once again ended up paying the ACLU for pressing a highly controversial church-state lawsuit." No suprise there, either.

[quote name='MrBadExample']Wow, the ACLU made $63,000 for ELEVEN years of work. They're really raking in the dough. Soon they'll own us all!!! :roll:[/QUOTE]

Thisis all of one case. There are countless others since that hellish cult was formed, in which they made off like bandits and manage to push their agenda into the mainstream.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']I wonder why no one ever complains when they defend the KKK, neo nazis etc.[/QUOTE]

Do they have less rights than normal people? As fucked up as they are, they are still Americans and still deserve civil rights (as long as they don't infringe upon the rights of others).

[quote name='alonzomourning23']I wonder why no one ever complains when they defend the KKK, neo nazis etc.[/QUOTE]

I have never heard of the ACLU defending the KKK. In fact, I would think that they're the direct opposite of what the ACLU would support.

[quote name='Tiphireth']I have never heard of the ACLU defending the KKK. In fact, I would think that they're the direct opposite of what the ACLU would support.[/QUOTE]

They support you when they agree your civil liberties have been violated. They don't sit there and say "well, this guys a racist so he has no rights".

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa030501a.htm
A strange alliance? Lawyers for the American Civil Liberties Union siding with lawyers from the Ku Klux Klan? Not only did the alliance exist, it prevailed on March 5, 2001 as the US Supreme Court without comment or dissent allowed the Klan to participate in a Missouri "Adopt-A-Highway" program.

http://www.aclu.org/FreeSpeech/FreeSpeech.cfm?ID=10296&c=86
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ST. PAUL--In response to growing concerns over permit applications filed on behalf of the Ku Klux Klan and local KKK opposition group Can The Klan, the Minnesota Civil Liberties Union today is demanding that the Department of Administration grant the applications of both groups to rally on the capital by Friday. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Representatives of both groups recently contacted the ACLU voicing concern over whether their applications for permits to hold rallies on the state capital are being treated fairly and legally. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The permit regulations do not specify a time frame in which an application must be approved or denied. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“As written, the current regulations allow the Director to wait until the eleventh hour to make a decision, thereby eliminating the ability of an applicant to get into court and challenge an adverse decision," said Teresa Nelson, Legal Counsel with the Minnesota ACLU. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Ku Klux Klan, or KKK, filed a permit application nearly two months ago requesting permission to hold a demonstration on the capital on Aug. 25. In anticipation of the KKK rally, a local group, Can The Klan, or CTK, also filed for a permit for the same day and time. As of yet, neither group has received a permit. However, two additional groups, whose permit applications for the same Aug. 25 weekend were filed after the KKK's, have already received permission to rally
[/font]

http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg05154.html
Former KKK Strongholds Ban Hoods in Public; ACLU Objects on Free-Speech Grounds

http://www.answers.com/topic/american-civil-liberties-union
In 1977, the ACLU filed suit against the Village of Skokie, Illinois, seeking an injunction against the enforcement of three town ordinances outlawing Nazi parades and demonstrations (Skokie had a large Jewish population). A federal district court struck down the ordinances in a decision eventually affirmed by the U.S. Supreme Court. The ACLU's action in this case led to the resignation of about 15 percent of the membership from the organization (25 percent in Illinois), especially of Jewish members. A cutback in its activities was avoided by a special mailing which elicited $500,000 in contributions. Federal Judge Bernard M. Decker described the principle involved in the case as follows: "It is better to allow those who preach racial hatred to expend their venom in rhetoric rather than to be panicked into embarking on the dangerous course of permitting the government to decide what its citizens may say and hear .... The ability of American society to tolerate the advocacy of even hateful doctrines ... is perhaps the best protection we have against the establishment of any Nazi-type regime in this country."

[quote name='alonzomourning23']They support you when they agree your civil liberties have been violated. They don't sit there and say "well, this guys a racist so he has no rights".

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa030501a.htm

http://www.aclu.org/FreeSpeech/FreeSpeech.cfm?ID=10296&c=86
[/font]

http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg05154.html

http://www.answers.com/topic/american-civil-liberties-union

[/size][/QUOTE]

Well then, I conceed. I just have one question, then- Do you guys agree with the ACLU in these racism-based cases?

I wonder why no one complained when the ALCU has defend churches, religious rights, Jerry Falwell, or some kid in Mass. who wanted to hand out candy canes to his classmates with a card attached that had a Christian message on it.

But I guess that doesn't fit in with what Bill O'Reilly tells CTL about the ACLU

[quote name='usickenme']
But I guess that doesn't fit in with what Bill O'Reilly tells CTL about the ACLU[/QUOTE]

I don't watch O'Reilly.

And that wasn't the point of the article for all of you who leap to the defense of the ACLU.

Its about the funding of trivial law suits.

R.I.F.

Reading is fundamental, people.

Of course if any of you ever stayed on topic you wouldn't be able to make your absurd points.

CTL

[quote name='Tiphireth']Well then, I conceed. I just have one question, then- Do you guys agree with the ACLU in these racism-based cases?[/QUOTE]

Yes, hate speech, while unpopular, is still protected. It's different when it's in a school or work place, a place where, realistically (we can't advise people to quite their job or change schools because of racism) they have no way of escaping it, but this is on public grounds, anyone who doesn't want to see it can leave, or protest for that matter (the counter protests in these cases are often larger than the actual protest).

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Yes, hate speech, while unpopular, is still protected. It's different when it's in a school or work place, a place where, realistically (we can't advise people to quite their job or change schools because of racism) they have no way of escaping it, but this is on public grounds, anyone who doesn't want to see it can leave, or protest for that matter (the counter protests in these cases are often larger than the actual protest).[/QUOTE]

Well then don't lambast PAD for posting things that you think are racist/bigotry.

[quote name='usickenme']

But I guess that doesn't fit in with what Bill O'Reilly tells CTL about the ACLU[/QUOTE]

Personally, I think O'Reilly's just a bloated old talking head. Only once have I watched his show- complete with it's "no spin zone" bullshit-, and he wasn't even on. He was golfing, probably. The best place for news, in my opinion, is WND or MichaelSavage.com.

[quote name='Tiphireth']Well then don't lambast PAD for posting things that you think are racist/bigotry.[/QUOTE]

Wait, didn't I say people can make counter protests? Tell me exactly where I said must tolerate every legal activity? I can still condemn it, I just can't call for that person arrests of the making of that form of speech illegal.

[quote name='CTLesq']

Reading is fundamental, people.

Of course if any of you ever stayed on topic you wouldn't be able to make your absurd points.

CTL[/QUOTE]

oh the irony...

[quote name='Tiphireth']Well then, I conceed. I just have one question, then- Do you guys agree with the ACLU in these racism-based cases?[/QUOTE]

Everyone is entitled to their civil rights, even racists, as long as they don't infringe on other's rights.

[quote name='usickenme']oh the irony...[/QUOTE]

There is zero irony. You just aren't smart enough to understand my connections.

CTL

The ACLU has really perverted the law when it comes to religion in the past few years. They sue poor school districts to have them rename "Christmas Holiday" to "Winter Break" on their calendars, for example, and they pull the shit that is in this article, trying to destroy a 71-year-old memorial to veterans. It's utterly ridiculous, assuming the article is accurate. What's next, destroy pioneer/settler churches in national parks?

I would note, however, that there are a fair number of issues that I agree with the ACLU on. I just wish they wouldn't pervert certain parts of the Constitution, such as the establishment clause.

Jesus, this is really trivial....

What's next? Getting "God" off a dollar bill?

Who cares...it was ment to be sweet...and now its turned sour.

[quote name='Tiphireth']Personally, I think O'Reilly's just a bloated old talking head. Only once have I watched his show- complete with it's "no spin zone" bullshit-, and he wasn't even on. He was golfing, probably. The best place for news, in my opinion, is WND or MichaelSavage.com.[/QUOTE]

If you are getting your news from Michael Savage or WND you might as well get your news from the National Inquirer. They have the same credibilty.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Jesus, this is really trivial....

What's next? Getting "God" off a dollar bill?

Who cares...it was ment to be sweet...and now its turned sour.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you buddy. In fact, let's put a few more gods on the dollar bill, paint it up like the Sgt Pepper cover so it conveys the diversity, openness, and freedom of American culture.

[quote name='camoor']I'm with you buddy. In fact, let's put a few more gods on the dollar bill, paint it up like the Sgt Pepper cover so it conveys the diversity, openness, and freedom of American culture.[/QUOTE]

How about Joe Pesci?

bread's done
Back