Rumor: PS3 to block used games

#91 Maxim726X   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   80 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Maxim726X

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:36 PM

Bwaha! Hahahah ha ah ha haha!

Dood, do you seriHAHAHHAHHA

God, I can't even get through a sentence withoHAHAHHAHHAHA BAWHABHAHA

HAWHAWHBAWHA<WHAW

... I fail to see what part of that is funny. Is Sony not the big dog here? Remember when Nintendo thought they were hot shit and made the N64 a cartridge based system? This was the beginning of the end for them... and I don't think the Revolution is going to save them. From what I understand it was the handheld market that kept them a viable contender in this industry at all. (From a console standpoint. We all know Nintendo's first party games are without question what sells the systems.) While Sony MAY think their shit don't stank, (like Nintendo did) making a change of this caliber could swing the console war in any direction... as I said in my previous post, if it ain't broke- don't fix it. It is a huge risk to take and honestly I don't see the point in it.

#92 RedvsBlue  

RedvsBlue

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:37 PM

It's not going to happen with regular games. Period. Sony has made some bonehead moves over the years but as most people agree they will not cripple their own system.

For online-only games, however, this could be a good idea.

Whether or not this technology is actually put into the PS3, we will end up seeing technology like this from the recording industry because of their war on piracy.

#93 daschrier   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   855 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:41 PM

I wouldn't care if this happened because I hate GS and EB and hope they go down in flames...
Posted Image

#94 Skylander7   Accidental Engineer/Beer Snob CAGiversary!   2213 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Skylander7

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:48 PM

Here is the actual patent:
http://patft.uspto.g...agi AND AN/Sony

Holy fucking shit! I just read the whole thing...

What I love about this though, is that since Sony patented it.. the other console manufacturers can't do it as well unless they license the technology. So at least there's hope for used Nintendo and MS games.

However.. let them do this. It'll be a matter of time before somebody cracks the code, and can "rewrite" the code onto a disc. Then it'll have been nothing but a big waste of time!

It looks like Sony is taking a blatent shot at Ebay and the game stores though. I cant wait to see the reaction this is going to cause :)

#95 secretvampire   Call me Baron von Marlon CAGiversary!   1865 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

secretvampire

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:58 PM

People are sure getting worked up over this. It will never happen. If it did...bye, bye Sony.

#96 dafoomie   dafoomie CAGiversary!   8808 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2005 - 09:07 PM

People are sure getting worked up over this. It will never happen. If it did...bye, bye Sony.

Thats true, I'm fairly certain that this won't happen for PS3 games. However, I'm not so sure they won't use it for other things, like music or movies. Have to keep a close eye on it, just in case.

#97 Skylander7   Accidental Engineer/Beer Snob CAGiversary!   2213 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Skylander7

Posted 09 November 2005 - 09:31 PM

Waaaaaiiit a minute.. this could be for Blue Ray players. I wrote a paper about this from an article in Forbes a few months back. The guy who was responsible for coming up with SSL (I can't remember his name off the top of my head) was coming up with it for Toshiba's HD-DVD and Sony's Blue Ray disc formats while they were still in negotiation talks a few months back. They wanted to find a way to make DVD's more secure and come up with a method of a unique identification code for each disc. That would require people to crack the code on every single movie instead of the hardware format like current gen DVD players. Given it would still be able to be done, but it would take time.. and since DVD sales are mostly generated within the first 2 months of release, this seemed like the most effective security method.

This isn't for the games, it's for the Blue Ray movies. Still sucks that you can't watch a high def movie at anyone's house though...

#98 mietha   sXe CAGiversary!   1645 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2005 - 09:35 PM

I absolutely will NOT buy anything using any technology remotely like this. Just as I won't buy any cd that is "rip-proof", I will not buy any console that blocks used games. Since there is much more used market than new now, at least in number, if not dollar value, this would be a rather stupid move. Hell, even best buy is going to carry used games very soon.
Posted Image

#99 camoor   Jams on foot fires CAGiversary!   15213 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:25 PM

Here's a question: when have consumers shown themselves to be so upset with something a company has done that they actually did something about it an affected the company?

Well, the record labels (including Sony) gouged consumers for years, so when Napster arrived many consumers felt no guilt in liberating tunes that the labels had been price-fixing into archaic album formats for years.

The record labels became so upset that they sicced their RIAA attack dogs on the public. Yet for the most part the public doesn't care - we all know that record label cartels are the scum of the earth and who wants to put more money in the RIAA coffers. Who wants to pay a group of lawyers to extort settlement fees from your 12 year-old sister or computerless grandmother for allegedly sharing tunes? Go independent, and support bands by buying tshirts/ concert tics/etc.

There's also always the classic "Dolphin in Tuna" boycott that resulted in fishing companies actually making an effort to eliminate dolphin from their tuna.

Jack in the Box food poisoned 12 people, killing a small girl, and people stopped eating at their restaurants. I don't see too many outlets of that fast food joint around any more.

For the most part the public are corporate tools, however I have no doubt that boneheaded marketing, excessive price gouging, and negative publicity does affect sales.

#100 Mr.Answer   want a spatula? CAGiversary!   1512 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Mr.Answer

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:45 AM

Another reason to not play on the internet. I'm perhaps a bit old but I have never caught the 'play live online fever' that so many have. Meh...if Sony wants to do this I don't care, I don't connect online for games, if sony wants to make me connect to the internet to play a game...well than I just won't buy nor play it. I have an xbox and never went with xbox live, but I can still play games with no problems, I might miss an update.. but this update crap is just enabling publishers to rush out incomplete product, why do we put up with it? Why enable crap to be released? Someone might find a rogue example but when I buy a car I expect to be able to turn the key, engine starts and then my automobile is used. Sure there might be a rare recall but that is for something usually 'small' I can still use my car although my rear window might fall out. Is there anything else that one can put out an incomplete project and make sure the buyers will not nor cannot use it?
Sometimes the beauty of the world is so overwhelming, I just want to throw back my head and gargle. Just gargle and gargle, and I don't care who hears me, because I am beautiful.

#101 CYRiX   Banned Banned   2228 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:47 AM

Rumor Starter = Bill Gates
I decided against buying some things I bidded on a lowball auction. Didn't know it'd be a big problem. Sue me.

#102 dafoomie   dafoomie CAGiversary!   8808 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 04:26 AM

Another reason to not play on the internet. I'm perhaps a bit old but I have never caught the 'play live online fever' that so many have. Meh...if Sony wants to do this I don't care, I don't connect online for games, if sony wants to make me connect to the internet to play a game...well than I just won't buy nor play it. I have an xbox and never went with xbox live, but I can still play games with no problems, I might miss an update.. but this update crap is just enabling publishers to rush out incomplete product, why do we put up with it? Why enable crap to be released? Someone might find a rogue example but when I buy a car I expect to be able to turn the key, engine starts and then my automobile is used. Sure there might be a rare recall but that is for something usually 'small' I can still use my car although my rear window might fall out. Is there anything else that one can put out an incomplete project and make sure the buyers will not nor cannot use it?

You said the exact same thing yesterday... Here's my response from then.

It has nothing to do with going online...

Theres an authorization code on a part of the disc, and once your PS3 (or whichever device this is used for) reads it, it copies it, and then erases it with its laser. No going on the internet required.

#103 camoor   Jams on foot fires CAGiversary!   15213 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 04:39 AM

Don't you get it? He won't play online, problem solved!

;)

#104 neocisco   Changnesiac CAGiversary!   18855 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:40 AM

SCE has been one of Sony's very few profitable divisions over the last couple of years. So it seems that their thinking is (potentially) to exploit that market for all they can. They're certainly testing the waters now w/their software (I don't remember the name of it) that blocks their new CD's from being ripped and/or burned. If they do go through w/this I'll own one less console next gen. Sorry, Sony, you don't get to tell me how or where to buy my games.

Now playing (& watching):

:br:-Breaking Bad season 3

:pc:-Marvel Puzzle Quest
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#105 Mr.Answer   want a spatula? CAGiversary!   1512 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Mr.Answer

Posted 10 November 2005 - 02:30 PM

That was my mistake, I went to bed and when I checked the morning papers, email etc, Cag was still open and had my response still in the reply mode like it hadn't been sent. I assumed it wasn't sent so I hit post. Sorry about the two day double post.
Sometimes the beauty of the world is so overwhelming, I just want to throw back my head and gargle. Just gargle and gargle, and I don't care who hears me, because I am beautiful.

#106 extzed   Cagtastic CAGiversary!   279 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 03:24 PM

Ok even if this patent is dealing with just blu-ray movies and not games I still have issuses with it. As far as I am concerned my dvd player does not need to be hooked up to the net so how is it going to check to make sure it is okay to play it.

I am still a little unclear as how a regular laser can alter and finalized disc, but maybe I missed that part since I just skimmed the patent article. If someone could explain this I would appreciate it.

One other thought I have concerning the movie end of this is, if blu-ray takes off and becomes the next "standard" some people, like myself, probably would have more than one player in their home. If each movie could only be played on one player I wouldn't buy it. Hell even if I didn't have multiple players what happens if I get a power spike or my player dies... are you telling me I would have to rebuy every single movie I own on blu-ray? I can't see any company purposely screwing it's customers like that, because why would anyone buy one then?

This whole DRM thing has gotten out of control, it blows my mind that I can go and buy a CD that won't play in my computer because it's not safe for the disc to be read by the drive.... I've had friends who couldn't play cd's the bought in their cars. I think the whole industry needs to be real careful or instead of preventing piracy they will just drive down sales are people get pissed off that they can't use the movie/game/cd they just bought

#107 dafoomie   dafoomie CAGiversary!   8808 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 07:57 PM

That was my mistake, I went to bed and when I checked the morning papers, email etc, Cag was still open and had my response still in the reply mode like it hadn't been sent. I assumed it wasn't sent so I hit post. Sorry about the two day double post.

Thought it was weird... Oh well. The site has been acting funny when you hit post sometimes.

#108 Skelah   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   941 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:02 PM

Gamecube would sell more units in 2007 than ps3 if his hapend .

I secretly wish a cheap system would come out like nintendos revolution and have this feature just because id like to see gamestop and eb have to re evaluate there entire buisness and possibly run it the right way.

#109 camoor   Jams on foot fires CAGiversary!   15213 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 02:58 PM

I am still a little unclear as how a regular laser can alter and finalized disc, but maybe I missed that part since I just skimmed the patent article. If someone could explain this I would appreciate it.

Remember how the NES system came with R.O.B. the Robot?

Posted Image

Well similarly, each PS3 will be packaged with a Cyborg accessory. If you attempt to put a used game in your PS3, the Cyborg will take it out and incinerate it with his laser eyes.

Posted Image

#110 gaelan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3138 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 03:24 PM

Remember how the NES system came with R.O.B. the Robot?

http://www.gamersgra...s/famirobot.jpg

Well similarly, each PS3 will be packaged with a Cyborg accessory. If you attempt to put a used game in your PS3, the Cyborg will take it out and incinerate it with his laser eyes.

http://www.astrosurf...erminator-2.jpg

That's absurd. Being a Japanese product, the cyborg you speak of will actually be Godzilla. If you attempt to insert the used or copied game, he will breath is radioactive fire and melt you ps3 and anything else within a 5 foot radius. Sheesh...cyborg, yeah right.

#111 GreenMonkey   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   754 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

GreenMonkey

Posted 21 November 2005 - 06:42 AM

This is more likely to occur for Blu-ray movies than videogames, if there is any likelihood at all.
"I have seen what power does, and I have seen what power costs. The one is never equal to the other."
-G'kar, Babylon 5, "Epiphanies"

#112 dafoomie   dafoomie CAGiversary!   8808 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2005 - 06:56 AM

This is more likely to occur for Blu-ray movies than videogames, if there is any likelihood at all.

This was recently debunked, a Sony spokesman came out and said they won't do this with games. Didn't mention movies though.

#113 Alpha2   Custom user Title CAGiversary!   3428 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:17 AM

As long as I'm not forced to keep a game I think sucked holy ass, I'm good. To hell with the movies let'em lock those. It'll destroy BluRay movie sales faster then Betamax and we'll be left with one format again. I dont mind using my PS2 as a movie player on ocasion when I dont feel like switching wires for the DVD player, after the first few years when the PS2 was all I had, eventually I came to have like 5 differnent movie players. That same can likely happen here, only I wont care about bluray movies because I dont have a TV that cantake advantage of the improved visuals of the movie.

it's kinda like saying; Why should I buy a movie UMD for my PSP when I can just rip my dvds to a Gigstick to watch on the go?
http://therealalpha2.deviantart.com/

Oh so now you are using intelligence and common sense to win the arguement...that's low man! This is CAG and you aren't allowed to do that.

#114 Bitz   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   15 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 November 2005 - 04:10 AM

Sony probably was really thinking in this direction, otherwise they wouldn't have developed the technology. But with the huge backlash over the XPC thing in their CD's, I doubt they'll be stupid enough to follow through with this.