Rumor: PS3 to block used games

dafoomie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
http://spong.com/detail/news.asp?mo...on+Free+%96+Blocks+Used+Game+Use&cb=0.7055475
Also mentioned is that PS3 may not have regional locks.

Its only a rumor, and its only popped up on Spong and on message boards, so take it with a grain of salt (in fact, it probably means that its more than likely not true). But, if they actually did it, it would be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

I will absolutely not buy a PS3, or any other Sony product, if this is true. I otherwise would have bought a PS3.

Actual Patent: (in English)
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...aragi+AND+an/Sony&RS=(IN/Kutaragi+AND+AN/Sony

It would definately be an interesting move, although one met with a LOT of opposition. The ability to rent games, buy/trade used games, or even play a game at a friends house would be completely out of the question. I think the move would actually make places like Gamestop and EB decide they will not try and push the games and consoles, as they will not be able to get any resale value from the games once they go out the door. While it may be a thought in Sony's minds, I don't think it would ever materialize into anything more.

The region-free console thing is a definite possibility though.

All that, for only $900! What a deal!

I don't believe it, but I wouldn't be too surprised. Whichever company does this first is just asking to be the next company to exit the console market. Watch retailers like EB and GS drop that console like an ugly baby as soon as this technology is even tried.

If such a process did happen, the used market for PS3 games would be non existant (unless they sell the system with the game) and it would be a cripping blow to Gamestop's market.

Way too restricting. Shit if your PS3 broke you'd have to replace the games too. Next we're gonna need eye surgery to appreciate the PS3's billion frames per second. What is next for this miracle machine?

It's actually not too far of a stretch considering how Sony has been trying to protect their music CDs lately. If they think they can be succesful with this strategy, they will run with it.

[quote name='shipwreck']It's actually not too far of a stretch considering how Sony has been trying to protect their music CDs lately. If they think they can be succesful with this strategy, they will run with it.[/QUOTE]

cmon you dont really think they would do this, they want to be the only system around. if they implemented this technology on the ps3 they would most certainly be demolished in the next generation. further, they would have to raise the price of the ps3 tremendously because the article says that the machine, in this case the ps3, would delete the code of the disc, the game. that would imply rewriting ability, are you telling me that the ps3 is going to suppord brdvdrw? give me a break, stupid rumor before the xbox360 launch, nothing more.

[quote name='iheartmetal']cmon you dont really think they would do this, they want to be the only system around. if they implemented this technology on the ps3 they would most certainly be demolished in the next generation. further, they would have to raise the price of the ps3 tremendously because the article says that the machine, in this case the ps3, would delete the code of the disc, the game. that would imply rewriting ability, are you telling me that the ps3 is going to suppord brdvdrw? give me a break, stupid rumor before the xbox360 launch, nothing more.[/QUOTE]

No, I really don't think they would do this. I definitely think it's been tossed around a few board rooms at Sony though.

This rumor gets legs because:

1. Sony has said before that they'd love to do this, and they also tried to make used games illegal in Japan.

2. They filed a patent with Kutaragi's name on it for exactly this.

3. The recent rootkit on one of their CD's.

But its easy to dismiss, for now, because:

1. Theres nothing linking the patent to the PS3. (I can't read Japanese, so I couldn't tell you if the patent really says any of this. I just have to take Spong and the other outlet's word for it)

2. PS3 would get killed if they tried this.

I really wouldn't be surprised if they did, and they certainly would like to, but I don't think they'll do it. They would get killed by 360 and Rev.

If any of you can read Japanese, the details are supposedly on this site:
http://www.ipdl.ncipi.go.jp/homepg.ipdl

If this happened, I would seriously reconsider getting a PS3. This would mean I can't trade games with friends, buy cheapass used games, or rent anything. Would be a stupid move by Sony. I highly doubt it is true. Just seems to be more bad rumors that are being released as the 360 launch nears.

They had this "Read once" disc technology a couple years back. And to this day I have not seen it used. It was supposed to be used for sensitive materials and the such and I havent heard anything about it until now.

Think about it, what is Sony's reasoning behind this? Sure they make slightly more money but overall with the people boycotting and such they ultimatly lose soo much. They should know themselves of the thriving used/rent game market we have here in the US. I am sure that goes for Japan as well but maybe on a smaller scale from what I have read. If they do do this they could easily make special rent version discs that are playable over and over again.

I would not buy a PS3 under that circumstance.

The Revolution looks better and better to me, I think I'll start upgrading my PC for highend graphics and tell Microsoft and Sony to go fuck themselves.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']Sony can do this, but Im sure a bunch of hackers would overcome the barrier, so I think this isn't really a problem[/QUOTE]

true, but they fact that we even have to hack our system to play used games is stupid.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Way too restricting. Shit if your PS3 broke you'd have to replace the games too. Next we're gonna need eye surgery to appreciate the PS3's billion frames per second. What is next for this miracle machine?[/QUOTE]

Nice Superman gif BTW.

Good point about the PS3 breaking. That is reason enough to discredit the whole idea.

From one of the major publishing/development companies a head of the food chain guy was asked about the cost of development for next gen consoles, the price of games etc etc...in the interview (i either saw it on g4, or saw a video clip from gamespot) he was pointing out the fact that he thinks games could come out brand new for $20, but they would either need to eliminate the used game market, or get a large chunk of the revenues from that market. The ps3 is the only console that I was going to wait for some price drops, or see a couple of must have exclusive games. Now, going with the notion that the rumor from spong is true, would it be that big of a hit if used games were blocked, but to buy a new one it is $20 or $30 dollars.

I don't even believe that Sony is that dumb. Wouldn't that cause more gamers to mod their systems to make copies of their game or something.

This is just too dumb to be true.

The thought of the ps3 breaking and having to replace all the games scares me. I cant possibly see this helping sony. Think of all the copy of games they wont sell because blockbuster, hollywood video, and whatever rental company out there wont purchase them. I dont think it would overweight the barely few games theyd get in exchange for forcing people to pay 59.99 a game.

[quote name='ryanbph']From one of the major publishing/development companies a head of the food chain guy was asked about the cost of development for next gen consoles, the price of games etc etc...in the interview (i either saw it on g4, or saw a video clip from gamespot) he was pointing out the fact that he thinks games could come out brand new for $20, but they would either need to eliminate the used game market, or get a large chunk of the revenues from that market. The ps3 is the only console that I was going to wait for some price drops, or see a couple of must have exclusive games. Now, going with the notion that the rumor from spong is true, would it be that big of a hit if used games were blocked, but to buy a new one it is $20 or $30 dollars.[/QUOTE]

This doesn't seem totally out of the question but even if they do try to move in this direction I think game retailers would fight it every step of the way.

[quote name='neocisco']This doesn't seem totally out of the question but even if they do try to move in this direction I think game retailers would fight it every step of the way.[/QUOTE]
true, the now 1 major national game store would fight it, but how could they win. If the ps3 or a future game console had this, and the games were in the same price range as dvd's, and had solid sales numbers for Sony, what could gamespot do. Other stores like Walmart, best buy, circuit city, target etc wouldn't care, as most of them don't carry used games (I know best buy was trying that out in select area's of the country) Aren't PC gaming companies trying to ax out the middle men, but offering there game for direct download. While it most likely won't be possible in this next gen of game consoles, 5 - 6 years from now when we are facing the launch of the ps3, the xbox 3 will they come with huge HD, and allow for you to download the games directly from and online service. It is only time before broadband becomes the standard across the country.

[quote name='neocisco']This doesn't seem totally out of the question but even if they do try to move in this direction I think game retailers would fight it every step of the way.[/QUOTE]
Why would retailers like Walmart, Taget, circuit city, or any store that doesnt sell used games be aganist this?

Basically every company in the gaming industry hates stores like gamestop and EB. This is because they don't see a single penny of profit from used game sales. If sony got away with this I garuntee Nintendo and Microsoft would also jump on the bandwagon. You guys know that EA is just begging for this to become a reality. A garunteed 50 dollars on every madden they put out, knowing that not a single one will be resold they would sell twice as many copies. I bet if this was true (which it defintly isn't sony isn't that stupid) we might even see cheaper games because companies would be making a lot more money on their games, because everyone would be forced to buy new copies.

*insert generic phrases about the rumor being stupid and false as it's not even worth taking time to think of lengthy responses to something so preposterous*

edit: Half-life 2 for PC got away with it and that's part of the reason I don't own HL2, because I don't want to support shit like that. Once they got the capability do you really think they would lower starting prices to sub-$30? No, because they would already have us over a barrel.

this... gen... I replaced my PS2 three times... because of DRE...

Knowing Sony track record... I ain't goin to replace my PS3.. 3 times.. & Game...

Sony won't see a red cent from me... if this actually happens...

This would not at all be impossible and now that it is mentioned seems like a very likely scenerio. Especially considering the blu-ray supposed DRM rules.

Suppose every disk had a unique id

Everytime you play a disk it phones home and checks to see if your machine is authorized to play it

If the disk has already been registered to another machine, it won't play (or invalid id)

Of course this would also mean that the Playstation 3 would not work without an internet or phone connection to call home with

Scary and stupid if Sony did do such a thing.

I believe they have presented something similar to this for blu-ray DRM.

Nah Sony wants to stay on top... there is no reason to make a change this drastic- IMO they already have the console wars won again. Between this and the PSP Sony will become a powerhouse not seen since the golden era of SNES.... Seems like a big risk to take given their illustrious position atop the gaming world.

[quote name='Maxim726X']Nah Sony wants to stay on top... there is no reason to make a change this drastic- IMO they already have the console wars won again. Between this and the PSP Sony will become a powerhouse not seen since the golden era of SNES.... Seems like a big risk to take given their illustrious position atop the gaming world.[/QUOTE]

Which is exactly why they would think they might be able to get away with something like this.

[quote name='evanft']It's Spong.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, I don't listen to them, read anything they print anymore and certainly don't bother to believe anything they print because 90% of the time it's flat out untrue or greatly exxaggerated. The OP's right take it with a grain of salt, or if you know about all the unsubstantiated (yeah I don't know how to spell that word) rumors they normally print, just don't take it at all...

[quote name='guardian_owl']*insert generic phrases about the rumor being stupid and false as it's not even worth taking time to think of lengthy responses to something so preposterous*

edit: Half-life 2 for PC got away with it and that's part of the reason I don't own HL2, because I don't want to support shit like that. Once they got the capability do you really think they would lower starting prices to sub-$30? No, because they would already have us over a barrel.[/QUOTE]

Actually you can trade the Steam Accounts for HL2 just fine. Selling them is perfectly legal and works. Although you can't trade the game itself which is bullshit but still itts not that bad.

If it happened, it wouldn't really matter that much to me. I rarely buy used games anyway. I can wait for the price drops just like I did this gen (minus the games I really wanted). They don't have me on anything.

Reality's Fringe said:
If it happened, it wouldn't really matter that much to me. I rarely buy used games anyway. I can wait for the price drops just like I did this gen (minus the games I really wanted). They don't have me on anything.

think about this, why would prices on new games need to drop ever again if people dont over an alternative but to buy new games?

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']think about this, why would prices on new games need to drop ever again if people dont over an alternative but to buy new games?[/QUOTE]
because newer games would come.

Here's a question - IF this is true, would Sony then release rental versions of the games (games free from this) along side regulars OR would Sony be relying on game demos to replace rentals???

[quote name='peteloaf']Here's a question - IF this is true, would Sony then release rental versions of the games (games free from this) along side regulars OR would Sony be relying on game demos to replace rentals???[/QUOTE]
No videogame company wants games for rent. They wouldn't go out of there way to make rental versions, since that takes away from sales. If this did happen, (which I highly doubt it well) your best bet at trying out a game before buying would be demos or playing the game at your friends house on his PS3.

[quote name='62t']because newer games would come.[/QUOTE]

And no one would be buying what was on the shelves. Just like how it works now. Retailers don't price drop games because Gamestop/EB,; they price drop games because they aren't selling/they want to clear inventory.

wow another rumor with no validity...i love the internet.

what we do know is the blu ray is supposed to a content providers dream come true. i've read the tech, but can't quote it...one theory is that most blu ray devices will be online capable and will handle a lot of their drm functions by connecting to the net and communicating with skynet to get permissions and authorizations...something like that. some kind of encryption is supposed to change throughout the content to prevent a single static encryption tool from working. i don't know if your blu ray will come packed with spyware to help you manage your purchased content, or if each blu ray disk with its massive storage capabilities will have all the spyware any major film studio could wish for...

oh we also now know that sony has been sneaking spyware/malware onto their loyal consumers pcs while trying to walk this line by *gasp* paying for music. just wait until they get their hands on you living room.

[quote name='Maxim726X']Nah Sony wants to stay on top... there is no reason to make a change this drastic- IMO they already have the console wars won again. Between this and the PSP Sony will become a powerhouse not seen since the golden era of SNES.... Seems like a big risk to take given their illustrious position atop the gaming world.[/QUOTE]

Bwaha! Hahahah ha ah ha haha!

Dood, do you seriHAHAHHAHHA

God, I can't even get through a sentence withoHAHAHHAHHAHA BAWHABHAHA

HAWHAWHBAWHA

[quote name='62t']Why would retailers like Walmart, Taget, circuit city, or any store that doesnt sell used games be aganist this?[/QUOTE]

I said game retailers (EB/GS, GR/Rhino). Electronics and mass goods retailers wouldn't care either way as long as their profit margin doesn't change too much; however, somebody has to sell the hardware and game companies have to keep them happy since there aren't huge margins on systems and games. Basically, this really isn't even a possibility until the NEXT console gen launch in 2009-2010.

[quote name='Kain Vincent']If such a process did happen, the used market for PS3 games would be non existant[/quote]

Captain obvious saves the day.

bread's done
Back