Xbox 360 display at Yodobashi Akihabara, Tokyo - Cue the tumbleweeds (56k warning)

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
xbox360.jpg

Entire Xbox Section
Very sad for what I believe to be one of, if not the largest electronics store in Tokyo

xboxsection2.jpg

[quote name='bostonfrontier']haha, that's so funny......... Japan hates american products[/QUOTE]Except the iPod.

I hung out in the gaming section for about 20-30 minutes and I only saw one person actually walk up to the 360 display and check it out.

[quote name='Scorch']How's it feel to live in a country where you can't read a fucking word of anything?[/QUOTE] I can read Hirgana & Katakana, but not kanji.
Of course reading isn't the same as understanding.

[quote name='CheapyD']I can read Hirgana & Katakana, but not kanji.
Of course reading isn't the same as understanding.[/QUOTE]

True, I can read spanish and french but I don't understand what any of it means...

Japanese people do not care about microsoft =(

They should have hired girls dressed up as OStans or something or made an Xbox tan to attract horny Japanese men who only play dating sims =p

I'm sure they would have more people interested if they had a system on display up and running.

Also, I have no doubt the 360 will do better in Japan than the original Xbox given the list of 3rd party companies in Japan who have already started developing for it or have expressed interest in developing for it.

I think I own more Xbox games than were sold in all of Japan. Sales in the shipwreck region have long outweighed sales in the Japan region. I think I might have even beat that region is hardware sales one month when I bought 2 Xboxes.

[quote name='BREVITY']Meh its no smaller or bigger than what I am seeing in local Gamestops and EBs.[/QUOTE]Your local EB/GS has one rack of Xbox stuff?
Do you live on a submarine?

It might be small, but look at the location it is right by the checkout. Granted we have a first hand witness, the father of CAG CheapyD stating the following

[quote name='CheapyD']I hung out in the gaming section for about 20-30 minutes and I only saw one person actually walk up to the 360 display and check it out.[/QUOTE]

Everyone has a choice, but I find it ironic how much we support Japan and they don't even give our stuff a chance. The game selection is not that bad and maybe if they were into new things and not another rendition of Final Fantasy e.g. Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts (Sorry RPG fanboys, but it is true). I know I'm the same way when it comes to the GTA series, but members here blow wads in their pants over the newest RPG and if it as a cheapass price some of their hearts stop. If developers never implemented real time combat in current RPG's I would never play them. The last great turned based RPG was FFVII.

I really don't even know why Microsoft bother with Japan. I think its the combination of their loyalty to Sony and Nintendo, and the lack of games that aim at the mainstream of japan, that pretty much have already put the 360 in 3rd place for the next gen. Although, it WILL be quite interesting since Squarenix has (or so they say) formed such a strong partnership with Microsoft for the 360...

Ya. it's not just RPG's. Japan requires dating sims, parenting sims, and a bunch of other wierd games i've seen over the years. But if all Japanese 3'd partys start porting, they release some of those exclusive to Japan titles, and on top of that they deliver with those cool looking RPG's from Japanese developers they might have a chance. Unlikely but possible.

Hirohito: You see, Japaneese penis is so small!

Hosek: So small!

Hirohito: You Americans have such humungous-burbous penis!

Mr Garison: Well, I guess that's true!

Hosek: Oh, such uh, nice big penis, American!

Hirohito: What can we possibly do with such small penis?! We cannot take over your city with all the men with such masterdonic penis!

Jimbo: Well, he's got a point there!

Randy: Well, I guess that settles that!

Father Maxi: We're sorry we took your time, gentlemen!

Hirohito: Oh, no! Thank you! Another chance to be in same room with big American penis! (leaves)

Hosek: Ha, ha! Penis so small! (leaves)

Father Maxi: Nice guys!

lol, Call of Duty and the first Brothers in Arms. No wonder it's barren (Not saying they're bad games, but FPS games aren't big in Japan as we all know, plus those are old).

The 360 needs more dating simulators, Build Your Own Baseball Team games, and a Xbox 360 specific anime cartoon with a line of crappy, cash in videogame tie ins.

^unneccesary comment.

Unfortunately, both Americans and Japanese Embrace the disgrace of sony consoles.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']haha, that's so funny......... Japan hates american products[/QUOTE]
Never been to Japan have you? Because one console doesn't sell well you deduce all of Japan hates all American products?

By the way, I was in Tsukuba for business for a few days this week and had time one night to head over to WonderGoo. They had a similar display and no wonder there was no interest in it. It was playing a Ridge Racer video that looked no better than current Xbox games. It was the first time I saw the 360 in person and it didn't even capture my attention for more than 5 seconds.

the xbox has yet to get a single super robot taisent games, a huge series in japan that has appear on just about ever decent system ever release. The X360 is getting better support from Japan tahn xbox, hopefully it can do better this time.

Was this taken early in the morning? I understand the Xbox and Microsoft struggle with their Japanese sales but I'm really surprised that on launch there are barely any people there.

[quote name='CheapyD']I can read Hirgana & Katakana, but not kanji.
Of course reading isn't the same as understanding.[/QUOTE]

I've been trying to learn for what seems like forever... any tips on how to pick it up? :)

Why are they selling u.s. xbox games there? Or do they just look identical?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I really don't even know why Microsoft bother with Japan. I think its the combination of their loyalty to Sony and Nintendo, and the lack of games that aim at the mainstream of japan, that pretty much have already put the 360 in 3rd place for the next gen. Although, it WILL be quite interesting since Squarenix has (or so they say) formed such a strong partnership with Microsoft for the 360...[/QUOTE]

They need the developers. Without the japanese developers they are going to have a very difficult time of becoming dominant.

[quote name='The VGM']lol, Call of Duty and the first Brothers in Arms. No wonder it's barren (Not saying they're bad games, but FPS games aren't big in Japan as we all know, plus those are old).[/QUOTE]
LOL Not to mention they are WW2 games, we all remember what happened there, eh? Not 2000 bombs, not 200 bombs...not even 20 bombs >_>....

:rofl: Ouch! Come on you guys (Japanese people, not people here), the 360 is a decent console... it's a taste of what's come, at least look at the packaging!:lol:

[quote name='Requiem']Was this taken early in the morning? I understand the Xbox and Microsoft struggle with their Japanese sales but I'm really surprised that on launch there are barely any people there.[/QUOTE]

That big banner hanging from the ceiling? The one that says "12月10日(something)に発表"? That essentially means "coming December 10," which is when their launch is.

Worldwide launch doesn't mean that it will come out on the exact day, but I guess it's easy to be confused by that. In short, it's not launch day for them just yet. If it were, there might be one somewhat melancholy looking boy poking at the 360 with mild disinterest, which, to MS' benefit, is one more disinteresting child than there was prior to launch. :lol:

[quote name='The VGM']lol, Call of Duty and the first Brothers in Arms. No wonder it's barren (Not saying they're bad games, but FPS games aren't big in Japan as we all know, plus those are old).[/QUOTE]

Hmm, let's make a videogame and market it in a country where this war was a horrible loss for the country and led to one of the greatest tragedies in the country's history.

Yeah, that's brilliant. Let's port over Rising Sun and Battles of the Pacific while we're at it. That'll move systems!

[quote name='JSweeney']Hmm, let's make a videogame and market it in a country where this war was a horrible loss for the country and led to one of the greatest tragedies in the country's history.

Yeah, that's brilliant. Let's port over Rising Sun and Battles of the Pacific while we're at it. That'll move systems![/QUOTE]

I've never quite understood that, either. That's like someone here making a game where you bomb Pearl Harbor or someone flies into the WTC.

[quote name='daschrier']That's bigger than the game cube sections in most places I see here...[/QUOTE]

You're comparing apples to oranges. From the way CheapyD is explaining this, this is a very large store with an excess of floorspace.. comparing that to your look shoebox floorset EB or Gamestop doesn't mesh.

If you look at places large superstores around here, just about every platform has far more space dedicated too it.... including the handhelds. (Not even counting the PSP's UMD movies)

This isn't just a large store, it could be the largest electronics store in Asia.
They had 3.5 million visitors in their first month! :shock:

[quote name='Moxio']How can Japanese people not care about such a new awesome console? God are they ignorant or what?[/QUOTE]

Maybe it doesn't interest them? It doesn't really interest me, other than possible ebay profit.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Maybe it doesn't interest them? It doesn't really interest me, other than possible ebay profit.[/QUOTE]

ditto.

What amazes me is that MS is still going to launch Dec 10th in Japan even though there doesn't seem to be much, if any, demand for the system. Reminds me of the first Xbox launch. The numbers back then were laughable. I don't see there being much of a difference this time around.

MS should have kept the 360 stock stateside until they were truly ready to launch in Japan the same way the Japanese companies make the US and Europe wait.

bread's done
Back