Underrated Games that are Overrated

redgopher

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
There are lots of good games that are underrated. But there are lots of underrated games that are *overrated*. Here's what's topping my list of overrated underrated games, and the reason why. Feel free to post your own.

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

It's a crappy game. The best way to describe my experience is it was like playing Chaos Legion with a robot. The game is very amusing, I will give them credit for that (i.e. the bots named Hosed and Screwed who end up getting blown to pieces in the second level, the mechanic "Of course I f**kin' fixed him! He's good as f**kin' new!"). But aside from that, it's just the same old crappy gameplay... run around, shoot things, try not to get killed. You can't dodge shit, and the aiming is horrible (someone explain to me why you can pivot left and right at a million miles an hour, but looking up and down is like trying to push a semi up a cliff). P.N.03 is a million times better than this piece of shit.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I still don't know why everyone trashes Enter the Matrix. I had a blast playing it. Another overrated game in my opinion is Final Fantasy (well pick any number).[/quote]

I have to agree with everyone else on EtM. I played the PC version and I thought it was terrible. Final Fantasy may be overrated by *some* people, but I think it's one of the best series ever.

Overated :Splinter Cell Pandora Tommarow PC Version (the amount of misspellings, glitches, bugs and crash issues as well as low support for G.cards makes me wonder why the PC version was ever made. I will never buy another UBIsoft game now because of it)

Underated: Rocket Jockey (PC)...but good luck finding a copy now.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Overated :Splinter Cell Pandora Tommarow PC Version (the amount of misspellings, glitches, bugs and crash issues as well as low support for G.cards makes me wonder why the PC version was ever made. I will never buy another UBIsoft game now because of it)

Underated: Rocket Jockey (PC)...but good luck finding a copy now.[/quote]

Gamespot says Splinter Cell and Splinter Cell PT are best on the PC. That's bullshit, they're best on the Xbox. Trying to control Sam Fisher with the keyboard is impossible. I'm sure it would be better with an analog gamepad though.

BTW, I'm trying to focus on underrated games (like Metal Arms, PN03 and Beyond Good and Evil) that are overrated (like Metal Arms... the other two I just mentioned are great).

I think y'all are missing the point of the original post. I think he is looking for games that you think have been given too much credit for being underrated, hence being overrated underrated games. My pick:

Goblin Commander -
Admittedly I am not far into it, but so far it is just following simple instructions. Destroy rocks, go get an ogre, destroy little annoying pests, go get more goblins for the next task, repeat. Maybe it gets better though. I intend to find out!

Most overrated: I can pick an entire category SRPG's. Call it Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, La Pucelle.... they're all bland and boring.

You want to talk about my single most underrated game that was overrated by users and reviewers? Shenmue I and II. I'm a Sega die hard. I love the company but you know, this game... it's pointless. I got zero enjoyment out of it. All I could think when I was playing the first one on the DC was "This game cost $50 million to develop? Why?"

ETM sucked, deal with it. You like shitty games. Now there's nothing wrong with liking shitty games, just admit.... it's a shitty game. Dave Perry won't give one interview or answer one question in the gaming press about ETM after a year. It's a shitty game. Time Warner told licensees that if games didn't maintain an average 70% review score... the license fee would go up. Why? Because ETM was a shitty game. If you drag a property like that through the mud you deserve to pay for it.

Dont know if this fits, but Id say the Dreamcast is a very overrated underrated System. Yeah, there are some fun games and I had fun playing a few when the system dropped to 10$, but now I hardly touch the thing, and it is pretty obvious why it folded.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']

ETM sucked, deal with it. You like shitty games. Now there's nothing wrong with liking shitty games, just admit.... it's a shitty game. Dave Perry won't give one interview or answer one question in the gaming press about ETM after a year. It's a shitty game. Time Warner told licensees that if games didn't maintain an average 70% review score... the license fee would go up. Why? Because ETM was a shitty game. If you drag a property like that through the mud you deserve to pay for it.[/quote]

Do you have any idea how many copies it sold and how much money it made? $250 million, which is more than a lot of movies gross in theaters. Your opinion aside it has been one of the highest selling movie based games yet.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']

Do you have any idea how many copies it sold and how much money it made? $250 million, which is more than a lot of movies gross in theaters. Your opinion aside it has been one of the highest selling movie based games yet.[/quote]

What exactly does that have to do with the games quality? You're figures merely support that the game was popular.

this is such a bad topic.

"underrated overrated games" is just another way of saying "good games that i suck at and hate them because i suck" this is going to be nothing but a flame war, and not the good kind either

[quote name='chickenhawk'][quote name='RedvsBlue']

Do you have any idea how many copies it sold and how much money it made? $250 million, which is more than a lot of movies gross in theaters. Your opinion aside it has been one of the highest selling movie based games yet.[/quote]

What exactly does that have to do with the games quality? You're figures merely support that the game was popular.[/quote]

I was replying to his incredibly inflamatory posting by showing that obviously quite a few OTHER people must have liked it in order for it to sell that much.

[quote name='punqsux']this is such a bad topic.

"underrated overrated games" is just another way of saying "good games that i suck at and hate them because i suck" this is going to be nothing but a flame war, and not the good kind either[/quote]

People can hate games without sucking at them you know. This might not become a flame war if people just stick to posting an opinion about a game instead of opinions about other peoples opinions which I, unfortunatley, am doing right now.

EDIT: You are definately right about this becoming a flame war, and very quickly.

"underrated overrated games" is just another way of saying "good games that i suck at and hate them because i suck" this is going to be nothing but a flame war, and not the good kind either[/quote]

Agreed- I'm done posting on this link because I can already tell its heating up, its not worth it.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Do you have any idea how many copies it sold and how much money it made? $250 million, which is more than a lot of movies gross in theaters. Your opinion aside it has been one of the highest selling movie based games yet.[/quote]

This just means that a lot of people bought the hype. Remember the marketing blitz for this game? It came out around the same time as the second Matrix movie, everyone and his brother was hyped about the movie AND the game.

Personally I thought the game was ok, but it wasn't very innovative and definitely not worthy of the hype.

[quote name='starman9000']Dont know if this fits, but Id say the Dreamcast is a very overrated underrated System. Yeah, there are some fun games and I had fun playing a few when the system dropped to 10$, but now I hardly touch the thing, and it is pretty obvious why it folded.[/quote]

This guy is just trying to start an argument.
Oh and I did enjoy playing ETM, but I did play it in shame and turned it off anytime someone walked into the room. I just thought it tried to do something different by adding depth to the movie. It just happened to have blocky graphics and some lame extra gameplay levels. I did play the Xbox version though and never encountered the bugs everyone complained about.

I disagree about the quality of the topic, but you're probably right that it'll become a flame war. .

Some games get too much credit for being a sleeper, unrecognized hit. It's the same with movies and music. My vote has nothing to do with how good I am at the game. I have yet to fail a mission on GC, I just found it to be very straight forward so far.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']

I was replying to his incredibly inflamatory posting by showing that obviously quite a few OTHER people must have liked it in order for it to sell that much.[/quote]

Gotcha. Wasn't trying to start anything, just pointing out the obvious. :)

If I never see another "What under-rater RPGs would you recommend" thread ever again it will be too soon.

By the time one of those threads is complete every RPG ever made has been considered "under-rated".

Thank you for allowing me to vent.

CTL

thanks for missing the point of this thread guys

I agree 100% about Metal Arms. I rented this one based on all the "OMG this game is awesome but no one bought it and it's $20 already!" The game sucks. All that happens is you get swarmed with enemies until finally you either run out of ammo or get surrounded. FUN

[quote name='redgopher']Jeez, punq.. you're just trying to piss me off for saying Mogwai is good, huh? ;)[/quote]

haha no, i was just making an observation. if i judged people on their musical tastes i would pretty much hate everyone ^^

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='redgopher']Jeez, punq.. you're just trying to piss me off for saying Mogwai is good, huh? ;)[/quote]

haha no, i was just making an observation. if i judged people on their musical tastes i would pretty much hate everyone ^^[/quote]

At least I'm not a music genre drone, right? Heh :)

Personally, I hated Beyond Good and Evil. HATED it. I made myself finish it because I had a friend that raved about it, and I didn't want him or anyone else to say "oh, but you quit before the good part!". I didn't quit. And unfortunately, there was no good part. Zelda killer my ass.

[quote name='argyle']Personally, I hated Beyond Good and Evil. HATED it. I made myself finish it because I had a friend that raved about it, and I didn't want him or anyone else to say "oh, but you quit before the good part!". I didn't quit. And unfortunately, there was no good part. Zelda killer my ass.[/quote]

I thought BG&E was very good, but it was way too short. I don't think it's really a Zelda killer, nor does it really have anything to do with Zelda aside from being in the adventure category. I traded it but I'll probably pick it up again because the world was just so perfect, so beautiful. The life forms and environments were just amazing. I never would have paid $50 for it, but $20 for a new copy that was played twice and traded for Viewtiful Joe was a great deal.

[quote name='redgopher'][quote name='Mookyjooky']Overated :Splinter Cell Pandora Tommarow PC Version (the amount of misspellings, glitches, bugs and crash issues as well as low support for G.cards makes me wonder why the PC version was ever made. I will never buy another UBIsoft game now because of it)

Underated: Rocket Jockey (PC)...but good luck finding a copy now.[/quote]

Gamespot says Splinter Cell and Splinter Cell PT are best on the PC. That's bullshit, they're best on the Xbox. Trying to control Sam Fisher with the keyboard is impossible. I'm sure it would be better with an analog gamepad though.

BTW, I'm trying to focus on underrated games (like Metal Arms, PN03 and Beyond Good and Evil) that are overrated (like Metal Arms... the other two I just mentioned are great).[/quote]

Sam Fisher moved like a semi on the Xbox(the first one). I played the PC demo and controlling him was much easier on the PC(this is the PT MP demo).

[quote name='pete5883']Persona. Undiscovered gem my ass.[/quote]

...he says two days after I have ordered it...

Has anyone else experienced one of those 'Zen moments' because of this thread? Man, been rereading the title of this post over and over again and I think I've just reached the third plane of nirvana. "Most overrated underrated.." man thats good.

As I slowly reach my moment of clarity.. I take that to mean the game that didn't sell very well and was talked about all the time like "Why doesn't this sell?" and its not good? If thats the case my vote would be,

Ecco The Dolphin: Defender of the Future for dreamcast, When I bought my dreamcast this year I heard from many (and read) just a beautiful game, a new mark in gaming excellence. Went to play it and it was like watching my fishtank.

Do you have any idea how many copies it sold and how much money it made? $250 million, which is more than a lot of movies gross in theaters. Your opinion aside it has been one of the highest selling movie based games yet.

You want to try and tell me that Clay Aiken's debut album was a better album than The Velvet Underground & Nico based on sales too?

I've taken a lot of flak for calling these 'underrated games' overrated~

-Rez
-Panzer Dragoon Anything
-Xenogears
-Halo
-Ico (nothing wrong with this game, it's just that on a certain message board, it's fanbase is way too fanatical)

A post about how this thread is going to become a flame war, and all it really does is spark the fire...

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']I've taken a lot of flak for calling these 'underrated games' overrated~

-Rez
-Panzer Dragoon Anything
-Xenogears
-Halo
-Ico (nothing wrong with this game, it's just that on a certain message board, it's fanbase is way too fanatical)[/quote]

I wouldn't necessarily call Halo underrated. I can't say I've ever heard anybody say, "Well, you may have missed it the first time, but give this game 'Halo' a try." Halo was enjoyable, but not the end-all-be-all of FPS. As far as Rez and PD:A, rail shooters are really a matter of personal taste. They're pretty, but not deep. And Ico has had the underrated label thrown at it so many times. It wasn't underrated, it just didn't sell. Every review I've ever seen for it has been glowing. It just took a hell of a lot of press for people to actually give the game a try.

[quote name='"Strider Turbulence"']I've taken a lot of flak for calling these 'underrated games' overrated~

-Rez
-Panzer Dragoon Anything
-Xenogears
-Halo
-Ico (nothing wrong with this game, it's just that on a certain message board, it's fanbase is way too fanatical)[/quote]

Rez is odd and can be somewhat of an acquired taste. That being said, I love it to death.

Panzer Dragoon Anything. Again if you don't like on rails shooters then you won't like these. Definitely not underrated thought. Critically acclaimed and loved by fans. I mean just because the unwashed masses don't like doesn't mean it is underrated.

Xenogears. I agree with you.

Halo is definitely not underrated in any way. I have no clue how you can even say it is underrated. Loved by critics and gamers, it is the sole reason that the Xbox survived its crappy first few months. That and Microsoft bleeding money.

Personally, I loved Ico, but again a preference of taste.

Personal taste is what this all boils down to.

I have to second the nomination of Beyond Good & Evil; yes, the graphics were nice and it controlled well, but I didn't find the story interesting and I'm sick and tired of 'stealth' gaming elements.

I don't know why, but I've never liked any of the Rayman games either; I guess I just don't 'get' games made by this developer.

this thread was in need of an original definition for underrated overrated-
in a similar vein to the sold poorly, but well reviewed, i would hold an overrated underrated game as one that ALOT of people think is underrated. It might originally have been considered underrated, then too many people jumped on the team, causing a backlash so now it is overrateed. Almost like something that is good because it si not that popular (and its not that popular usually because its not that good) then once the popularity catches up, you realize it was never of that high enough quality in the first place.

So imo, BG&E fits this definition, its a decent game, so when no one really cared it was underrated, but now that alot more people think its good, its become an overrated underrated game (its still decent, and its still not THAT popular, but oo many people know about it and it is undeservedly spoiled with blessings.

The same goes with Skies of Arcadia, but more because i dont think it is as deserving of the high accolades it has recieved.

[quote name='coolz481']I have to second the nomination of Beyond Good & Evil; yes, the graphics were nice and it controlled well, but I didn't find the story interesting and I'm sick and tired of 'stealth' gaming elements.

I don't know why, but I've never liked any of the Rayman games either; I guess I just don't 'get' games made by this developer.[/quote]

The first Rayman is hard. Really hard. I haven't managed to play the other two though.

[quote name='Tromack'][quote name='Strider Turbulence']I've taken a lot of flak for calling these 'underrated games' overrated~

-Rez
-Panzer Dragoon Anything
-Xenogears
-Halo

Rez is odd and can be somewhat of an acquired taste. That being said, I love it to death.

Panzer Dragoon Anything. Again if you don't like on rails shooters then you won't like these. Definitely not underrated thought. Critically acclaimed and loved by fans. I mean just because the unwashed masses don't like doesn't mean it is underrated.

Xenogears. I agree with you.

Halo is definitely not underrated in any way. I have no clue how you can even say it is underrated. Loved by critics and gamers, it is the sole reason that the Xbox survived its crappy first few months. That and Microsoft bleeding money.

Personally, I loved Ico, but again a preference of taste.

Personal taste is what this all boils down to.[/quote]

Ok, you all got me on calling Halo underrated, but that's what happens when you post at 2 in the morning.

'Anything. Again if you don't like on rails shooters then you won't like these.'

The only rail shooters I can recall playing at the moment (besides those two) is Star Fox and Vanark, both of which I enjoyed greatly. I thought the 4 Panzer Dragoon games were ok, just not something I could really get into.

The Lunar series. While the story and music are gratifying (moreso the music), the combat was excessively boring, and in the case of Eternal Blue, difficult.

bread's done
Back