~*~DDR is the best thing since sliced bread!!!~*~

jeffreyjrose

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Ok, so I went to Walmart last night after my summer calculus class, and I found DDR for the Xbox marked for $59.82. I picked it up despite three of my beliefs/rules: 1) I hate Walmart, 2) I don't like spending more than $25 for a videogame after finding this site, and 3) I need to save money after buying so many unplayed games in my house. Anyway, I broke it open, and my family and I played it for 2 1/2 hours straight! I quit at 12:30 because I had an appointment today at 8:30... so I needed sleep. But anyway, GET DDR NOW!!!

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Yeah, it's a great game. I have been playing for 3 years and am still not bored with the game.

I can play for 2 hours and not even realize I was playing that long.

If you want a different experience, try to find a local DDR machine in an arcade. As fun as it is to play at home, it's even more fun to play in the arcade.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Yeah, it's a great game. I have been playing for 3 years and am still not bored with the game.

I can play for 2 hours and not even realize I was playing that long.

If you want a different experience, try to find a local DDR machine in an arcade. As fun as it is to play at home, it's even more fun to play in the arcade.[/quote]

I agree. We have one in the student union at UC. The metal pads, two player action, and speaker setup makes for a very enjoyable experience.

I'm over 200 lbs and I'm playing this game to lose weight. In a months time playing for an hour at least 5 days a week, and eating less, i've lost 15 lbs in that time. I can do almost any song on standard in DDRMax 1 and 2 for ps2. Trying to get to heavy mode, but I can't move my fat legs that fast.

I think I am going to actually break down and buy this... Does it come with the pad? I just purchased and moved into an upstairs condo so I hope the folks downstairs dont start complaining with all the jumping...

You can buy it with or without the pad. If you are new to DDR, I would get the bundle which includes the official Konami pad (both Max 2 on PS2 and Ultramix on Xbox are available with the pad).

[quote name='YoshiFan1']You can buy it with or without the pad. If you are new to DDR, I would get the bundle which includes the official Konami pad (both Max 2 on PS2 and Ultramix on Xbox are available with the pad).[/quote]

Thanks... I think I will go with the XBOX version with the pad.

[quote name='flizmo007']I think I am going to actually break down and buy this... Does it come with the pad? I just purchased and moved into an upstairs condo so I hope the folks downstairs dont start complaining with all the jumping...[/quote]

If you're upstairs, I'd suggest getting a ignition style pad with the foam inserts, it does a lot for dampening out the noise and vibrations. Red Octane makes the best, but you'll pay out the wazoo from them. You can get several similar styled ones on ebay as well, and I would reccomend looking at Vortz (search for my other DDR posts for info).

When playing, you gotta somewhat be careful, I was DDRing at a fever pitch until I slipped doing the up-left, up-right, up-left, up-right, etc. stream during Conga Fever from Max 2, twisted my ankle, and have been on the shelf for a couple weeks. (I'll still try, but after a couple songs, the ankle is hurting)

[quote name='matyou']I'm over 200 lbs and I'm playing this game to lose weight. In a months time playing for an hour at least 5 days a week, and eating less, i've lost 15 lbs in that time. I can do almost any song on standard in DDRMax 1 and 2 for ps2. Trying to get to heavy mode, but I can't move my fat legs that fast.[/quote]

Awesome. :!:

I have been doing DDR for about 3 years now, and I still love it. Haven't lost any weight, but my endurance has increased greatly. It is quite the good cardiovascular work out and a great game that is almost as timeless as Tetris.

I used to laugh at the people in the arcade that played DDR. Then one day i broke down and tried it..... i've been hooked ever since.

[quote name='Ericnmel99']I used to laugh at the people in the arcade that played DDR. Then one day i broke down and tried it..... i've been hooked ever since.[/quote]

Same here... but my 'laughing' view was destroyed last night!!! lol!

One song i'm having trouble with in DDRMax2 is "End of the century" on standard. Man that song beats the crap outta me, but I love the song. I've gotten a C on that 1 and can't get any higher, sometimes i can't even finish it. There are about 10 songs that I have low scores on, but every other song I have either an A or AA rating. Never in my life have I got a perfect score (is it AAA or S?) I was proud when I got an A on Afronova, that is one quick ass song. One of my favorites from DDR max 1 is Rhythm and Police, another great song.

I wish I could buy CD's from some of the artists featured in the game. I'm aware of the official soundtracks from Japan but I want the full length tunes.

I worship at the temple of DDR. Been playing since the 1st mix was released in Cali, back in '97 or 98, I believe.

[quote name='matyou']Never in my life have I got a perfect score (is it AAA or S?)

I wish I could buy CD's from some of the artists featured in the game. I'm aware of the official soundtracks from Japan but I want the full length tunes.[/quote]

In Max 2, if you get all perfects it's a AAA. It's 3rd Mix where if you get a full combo you get a S or all perfects it's a SSS.

As for the CD's, if you want full length songs check out the Dancemania albums.

http://www.toshiba-emi.co.jp/dancemania/disco/index_j.htm

They are imports like the DDR soundtracks

Those are where Konami gets it's licesned songs from.

The only one I have right now is Dancemania Speed 2 which I got off of Ebay and I like it. I plan to get a lot more Dancemania CD's

The problem is that the Dancemania CD's each have only a few DDR songs on them.

Like DDR Max JP has songs from Dancemaina Happy Paradise 2 and has songs from Danceamania Fantasia for example.

It's nice to see a lot of DDR players on here. It really has grown drastically in popularity here in the US over the last year. I'm glad, cuz it's such a great game that you truly never tire of!

DDR really does increase your stamina and get you into shape (as someone mentioned). I took a two-mile walk with my mom the other night, (up- and down-hill), and I didn't even break a sweat or get out of breath. I was really amazed, cuz that walk used to kill me.

If you are looking for DDR machines in your area, check out www.ddrfreak.com. Members of the site submit and update machine locations and information about the machines present (including other Bemani games!). Also included are the varying prices to play and actual location of the machine within the establishment. Definitely a good resource! :)

[quote name='jeffreyjrose']Ok, so I went to Walmart last night after my summer calculus class, and I found DDR for the Xbox marked for $59.82. I picked it up despite three of my beliefs/rules: 1) I hate Walmart, 2) I don't like spending more than $25 for a videogame after finding this site, and 3) I need to save money after buying so many unplayed games in my house. Anyway, I broke it open, and my family and I played it for 2 1/2 hours straight! I quit at 12:30 because I had an appointment today at 8:30... so I needed sleep. But anyway, GET DDR NOW!!!

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p[/quote]

haaa~ good for you to get more excerises

[quote name='CarmenJubei'][quote name='jeffreyjrose']Ok, so I went to Walmart last night after my summer calculus class, and I found DDR for the Xbox marked for $59.82. I picked it up despite three of my beliefs/rules: 1) I hate Walmart, 2) I don't like spending more than $25 for a videogame after finding this site, and 3) I need to save money after buying so many unplayed games in my house. Anyway, I broke it open, and my family and I played it for 2 1/2 hours straight! I quit at 12:30 because I had an appointment today at 8:30... so I needed sleep. But anyway, GET DDR NOW!!!

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p[/quote]

haaa~ good for you to get more excerises[/quote]

LMAO!!! This summer is going to kill me.

I haven't gotten around to trying Drum Mania yet. No arcades near me have it (or any Bemani for that matter) and the home controller (official) is $150+ which I don't want to spend $200 or more on a game I have never played before.

Throwing my name into the "DDR players hat". Been playing for a little over a year, and still going strong. The game is very timeless, and I don't see myself ever getting sick of it. Part of the reason for that, is that the fun of DDR comes from it's simple design. I highly encourage everybody on the board to play it a few times. Trying it the first time is the hardest thing to do, especially in front of strangers at the arcade, but it's ultimately worth it. Don't worry about not being as good as other people, because everybody has to start somewhere!

Good luck!

[quote name='evilmax17'] Trying it the first time is the hardest thing to do, especially in front of strangers at the arcade, but it's ultimately worth it. Don't worry about not being as good as other people, because everybody has to start somewhere!
Good luck![/quote]

It definetly takes some courage to play in the arcade in front of people. The first time I played DDR in the arcade was summer 2002 on the Ocean City, NJ boardwalk. There must have been at least 20 people watching, I go and pick Butterfly (Upswing Mix) and decided to play on normal instead of soft mode (3rd Mix Korean 2 machine) so it was a 4 foot song and I fail almost instantly. I later found out the machine was set on an 8 difficulty so if you miss 3 or 4 steps, you fail. I was really embarrased but played again on soft mode clearing some easier songs.

It's also too bad that the series in "on hold" in Japan so no new arcade mix for a while. Extreme is starting to get kind of old and by now they probably would have released a new arcade mix.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I haven't gotten around to trying Drum Mania yet. No arcades near me have it (or any Bemani for that matter) and the home controller (official) is $150+ which I don't want to spend $200 or more on a game I have never played before.[/quote]

That's too bad. :( It's a lot of fun. I've always kinda wanted to play drums, but never enough to actually go out and buy a set to learn. It's probably my second favorite Bemani game, even though I'm pretty crappy at it. DDR is definitely my number 1!

Like evilmax said, it's hard to try it in the arcade, especially if you're new to the game. Believe me, it took a lot of convincing from my bf to get me on. But I remember after that first game, I wanted to play more and more, and suddenly I didn't even care about the other people around. I've even gone to the mall near my college by myself, did my thing, and left. You don't want to worry about what other people think (and believe me, there are some players who subtley try to make you feel inferior). Just play the game for your own personal enjoyment!

[quote name='YoshiFan1']It's also too bad that the series in "on hold" in Japan so no new arcade mix for a while. Extreme is starting to get kind of old and by now they probably would have released a new arcade mix.[/quote]
It's "on hold"? How long for the next mix?

Naoki said that the series was on hold a few months ago.

For the US, Extreme is coming out in September.

But since all the DDR arcade mixes are Japanese except for US 1st Mix and DDR USA (and Euromix 1 & 2 but those aren't found in the US for the most part), it will probably be a long time until we get a new arcade mix.

I actually built my own hard pad for home. Cost me ~60$. You should see the respect I get when I bring that out to tournaments. I've been playing DDR for about 4 years now.

Thought this might be of interest:

"RedOctane is looking for teenagers (ages 14-16) who've lost weight and gotten in shape with the help of Dance Dance Revolution. If you, or someone you know, have improved their health using DDR, then tell us your story (with your parent's permission). The chosen entry will be used in an upcoming national news story and will receive a RedOctane Metal Pad.
To enter please email us your story in 50 words or less, along with a "before" and "after" picture of yourself. Be sure to include your contact information (name, age, and telephone number) in your email.

We need your story ASAP! The deadline for stories is June 18th. If your story is chosen, it will be posted on GetUpMove.com and submitted to a major print publication for inclusion in an upcoming story.

Email: [email protected] with the subject line: Attention: DDR Health
"

[quote name='trustcompany1013']what are some good deals on the bundle for ps2?[/quote]

You mean the official Max 2 Bundle? You aren't going to get a deal on it except maybe getting it for $55 at Best Buy with the GGC if your local Best Buy has it.

The only time the bundle has ever been reduced in price since it came out was when Target had it on clearance for $15 back in the Winter.

Target currently has DDR Max 2 (game only) on clearance so if you can find it on clearance, you could just get that and buy the Konami pad seperate. It probably won't last past 30% off though because when they had DDR Max on clearance last year, as soon as it hit 30% off, it sold out before it even got to 50% off.

DDR games just don't go down in value.

Max 2 has a MSRP of $40 but used copies go for as high as $36 on Ebay (just to give an idea of how much demand and value the game has)

[quote name='matyou']I'm over 200 lbs and I'm playing this game to lose weight. In a months time playing for an hour at least 5 days a week, and eating less, i've lost 15 lbs in that time. I can do almost any song on standard in DDRMax 1 and 2 for ps2. Trying to get to heavy mode, but I can't move my fat legs that fast.[/quote]

Maniac (fine call it "heavy", MAX had to ruin everyhing and give the difficulties gay names) has nothing to do with weight, speed, etc. It is all about co-ordination, im a little over 6'1 and i weigh 250+, I can A Sakura (a 10 footer) usually on my first try, without a warmup. You should focus less on being fast and more on better co-ordinaton, rythm, and pattern recognization than anything else to get good.

If any of you are IRC junkies out there, irc.faereal.net has #ddrmaniax which is my favorite hangout in the whole world of Internet Relay chat.

bread's done
Back