New system at GameStop: VG Pocket

xorealix

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Hey guys,
A few days ago I discovered an interesting product at GameStop.com- the VG Pocket 50 Games. It was officially released today (unfortunately my local GameStop doesn't carry it) and information about it is sparse. So far I've only seen it mentioned on two other websites- B&N and J&R. Neither has any further information. From the picture, it appears to have NES-era graphics.

Does anybody have any data on this system? I was considering picking up a Power Player, but if this contains a NOAC I'll probably buy it first.

Also, it's listed as a "TV Game"- do you think the Black Friday "$5 off Plug'n'Play TV Games" coupon would work? I wonder if it can be applied online...

Thanks ahead of time for any insight into the issue. This looks like a pretty cool device to pick up as a stocking stuffer.

Oh by the way, J&R lists a "VG Pocket Max" with a 2.5 inch screen. Pelicanacc.com does not mention the device at all.

[quote name='nwaugh']I love ads.[/QUOTE]
Are you implying that my post was an ad for the product, or are you referring to the picture ad that got automatically added to my post?

Either way, unless somebody comes forth with information in the next 3 days, I will be forced to purchase one of these (at my second-closest GameStop) and rip it apart. Here's to hoping that it has a (good) NOAC in it.

I beleive "Nintendo-on-a-chip," which is essentially a proprietary chip bootleg companies can make to allow NES emulation. But since the patent on the NES has expired recently, apparently people can make clones all they want.

I am not by any means 100% of the information I just said, but I am reasonably sure what NOAC means.

[quote name='Strell']I beleive "Nintendo-on-a-chip," which is essentially a proprietary chip bootleg companies can make to allow NES emulation. But since the patent on the NES has expired recently, apparently people can make clones all they want.[/QUOTE]

Correct. I'm not sure about the legality. You'll get different answers depending on who you talk to. The ones that have integrated pirated games are definitely illegal.

If this unit had a NOAC, there's a chance that we could hook up a cartridge port to it, turning it into a GameAxe / Game Theory Admiral clone, but cheaper and smaller (not to mention legal).

Do any GameStop employees know if the $5 off applies to this? If it doesn't, I'll just order one or wait until my local GS gets them in.

We got these in our store (GameCrazy) 2 or 3 days ago. I don't think that any of the games are actual NES Games or anything like that. More like 50 flash type games. I remember looking at the back and seeing a few racing games and pong/table tennis type game. I believe you can also attatch this to your TV and play it from there.

I'll get more info when I go into work later, and if nobody else posts anything before I get back, I'll let all you guys know.

I found a little more info, and have concluded that there are three models:

VG Pocket (Lite?) [some guy on another forum said he bought it at Walmart]
1.5 inch screen
30 games
$20

VG Pocket
2.0 inch screen
50 games
$30

VG Pocket Max [unreleased]
2.5 inch screen
75 games
$40

I'm going to head up to Walmart / GameStop and take pictures / purchase one of each product sometime soon.

The guy who got the one at WalMart said the website was VGPockets.com. Both VGPocket.com and VGPockets.com are registered to Pelican. No site is set up at either address.

I saw these at Game Crazy today...

There are 3 different versions and noted above. All the games are pretty simple, but seem pretty fun. The screen is 2" big (Maybe 2.5?) and is TFT LCD Display. They come in a vairety of colors (White, Black, Blue, Pink), and come in a plastic box (Almost like how an Alarm clock would be sold). Game Crazy only carries the $30 version (50 games).

[quote name='gizmogc']Oh, they do also plug into the TV and allow you to play games on the TV.[/QUOTE]

Good. That means we can use the $5 off on Black Friday at GameStop.

Also, I found out that the Max version is released.

well, most people seem to forget that copyright on a lot of nintendo stuff is expiring now, so this can totally be legit... too bad theres not more details, could be very interesting

The Max version is at Radio Shack for $60.

It's pretty cool, although many of the games are very similar to each other.

It includes an earphone jack, a speaker, and cable to connect to a TV. Runs on 3 AAA batteries with a claimed 15 hour life. Screen brightness is not adjustable, although it is very nice.

It does NOT use old Nintendo software.

Hope that helps!

[quote name='whuzizname']The Max version is at Radio Shack for $60.[/QUOTE]
Wow, JR.com has it listed for $40.

Thanks for the info.

I just bought one (Max version) online, so I'll post as much info as I can when I get it. No luck finding the $20 version at WalMart, so it must be a YMMV thing.

[quote name='xorealix']Wow, JR.com has it listed for $40.

Thanks for the info.

I just bought one (Max version) online, so I'll post as much info as I can when I get it. No luck finding the $20 version at WalMart, so it must be a YMMV thing.[/QUOTE]

Did you buy it from JR.com or another online store? JR's website says it's out of stock.

BTW, I stopped at a GameStop tonight and asked about it. The two slackers working the counter never heard of it. :(

[quote name='whuzizname']Did you buy it from JR.com or another online store? JR's website says it's out of stock.[/QUOTE]

No, I actually nabbed it off of ebay for $20. I found another store that seems to have it in stock though, click: VG Pocket MAX

[quote name='whuzizname']BTW, I stopped at a GameStop tonight and asked about it. The two slackers working the counter never heard of it. :([/QUOTE]

Last week I asked a GameStop employee if they had GameBoy Pockets in stock. He looked at me, and asked "you mean a GameBoy Micro?" I told him no. He walked away, and I continued to look around. He walked back 2 minutes later, Gameboy Micro box in hand, showed it to me, and said "This?!?". I wanted to punch him in the face.

Needless to say, none of my local GS employees know anything about the VG Pocket.

Edit: Just after posting that link, I realized that they mention the model number is VG-3000. JR.com has it listed as VG-2500 (which makes more sense). Who knows what's going on.

[quote name='xorealix']No, I actually nabbed it off of ebay for $20. I found another store that seems to have it in stock though, click: VG Pocket MAX

Last week I asked a GameStop employee if they had GameBoy Pockets in stock. He looked at me, and asked "you mean a GameBoy Micro?" I told him no. He walked away, and I continued to look around. He walked back 2 minutes later, Gameboy Micro box in hand, showed it to me, and said "This?!?". I wanted to punch him in the face.

Needless to say, none of my local GS employees know anything about the VG Pocket.

Edit: Just after posting that link, I realized that they mention the model number is VG-3000. JR.com has it listed as VG-2500 (which makes more sense). Who knows what's going on.[/QUOTE]

I'm unable to find any listed on Ebay -- I figured I'd at least be able to find the listing that you had one. How did you find it? Can you share the listing number of your winning auction please? Maybe the seller has more to sell.

THanks for the link to http://baysoftgames.com/vgpocket.html

Their website doesn't make sense though. The text describes the 75 game version only, but they show photos of both the 50 and the 75 version, and no choice for which to buy. THen, when I went to buy one, the text mentioned the 75 version but showed a 50 version photo. So which is it for your $39.99????

THANKS AGAIN!

I saw the 75 game version at E3 earlier this year. I'll put more info up tomorrow, as I'm sick right now, and the Nyquil is starting to kick in... ;)

Essentially, this was a product from Asia, Hong Kong I think. The representative there told me it was being distributed in the US, but I hadn't heard a thing about it until I checked my newsletter from BaySoft Games this evening. The screen is quite nice for a product of this type, and all the games seemed to be original. It also seemed that the system was indeed some sort of NES-on-a-chip, as the graphics were quite close to the quality of a lot of NES games.

I had fun playing with it, and I my very well pick one up later. I have pictures of the original unit, a unit with a smaller range of games (looked square with a little joypad thing directly below and in the center of the smaller screen), the product catalog from the company (I can't remember the original Asian developer of this), and a pic of their standee with more original product info.

Sorry, I'm falling asleep. Have a Happy Thanksgiving all, and I'll post more soon.

Wow, sounds great NeoGutsman, looking forward to that info. Hope you feel better soon. :D

whuzizname- I'm sending you a PM. Also, the baysoft games site is selling the Max version (75 games) for $40.

I bought the VG Pocket Max (75 games) today for $40 from RadioShack.

The hardware on this is surprisingly good, but the games let it down badly. It's like a mini NES, but with one thing missing - good games. :) The problem with the hardware is that the directional pad is a bit clumsy. Not ideal, but useable. The speaker also emits an annoying buzzing sound that is not apparent while music is playing - probably because the NES square-wave sound FX drown out the buzzing.

There are no real standout games and it seems like a bunch were quickly thrown together to bring this to production. Most of the racing and shooting games are a different face on the same games, with small differences here and there. It's not that they aren't different from each other - they are, but just not enough to be believable.

As-is, it's a pretty solid little unit that could have been much, much better if different or better games were selected. Even a few old-school Space Invaders/Galaxian/Pac Man clones would have made this a much better deal.

It might be worth picking up the VG Pocket (30 games) from Wal*Mart for $20, but $40 on the 75-game version is not worth it. The games are just not good enough.

Hopefully someone will hack it and allow us all to add new/different games :)

First off, excellent review, analoguesque. I agree with you completely. I got mine yesterday, and cracked it open today. Model number is VG-3000.

As far as adding a cartridge slot goes, all I can say is "Good luck." I saw two glop tops- one for the processor, one for the games. The game chip has contact points around it- but all spread out and unlabeled. I couldn't seem to count which ones were connected to the game glop, but it looks like there are more than 50 (possibly 60? Famicom?). If I get bored with it, I'll do the necessary research and try to hook up a cartridge slot to it.

Found yet another unfinished website of theirs: here.

Posting a game list is pointless because all of the racing games are the same, and all of the shooting games are the same. On the other hand, if somebody had the game list for the 30 game and 50 game versions, we could do a comparison...

[quote name='xorealix']First off, excellent review, analoguesque. I agree with you completely. I got mine yesterday, and cracked it open today. Model number is VG-3000.

As far as adding a cartridge slot goes, all I can say is "Good luck." I saw two glop tops- one for the processor, one for the games. The game chip has contact points around it- but all spread out and unlabeled. I couldn't seem to count which ones were connected to the game glop, but it looks like there are more than 50 (possibly 60? Famicom?). If I get bored with it, I'll do the necessary research and try to hook up a cartridge slot to it.

Found yet another unfinished website of theirs: here.

Posting a game list is pointless because all of the racing games are the same, and all of the shooting games are the same. On the other hand, if somebody had the game list for the 30 game and 50 game versions, we could do a comparison...[/QUOTE]

The game does resemble an NOAC, and yes, thit is legal to make nintendo clones, so long as they do not contain copyright material.

I quoted yours in reference to your 'two glop tops'.

Not all version contain the glop-top. The VG Pocket 50 contains a Micron 32Mb flash chip to store their programs, which I fully intend on dumping as soon as I get to work to verify that this is infact an NOAC.

If it is, there are two minor issues with the system which would prevent any real gameplay. Those problems being start and select.

Oh, and as far as wiring up a cartridge connector to it... there is another problem with that. This system uses TTL level logic, and the NES used CMOS. You would need a lot of level converters to get a NES cartridge hooked up to it.

[quote name='asterick']The game does resemble an NOAC, and yes, thit is legal to make nintendo clones, so long as they do not contain copyright material.

Not all version contain the glop-top. The VG Pocket 50 contains a Micron 32Mb flash chip to store their programs, which I fully intend on dumping as soon as I get to work to verify that this is infact an NOAC.[/QUOTE] Does it make much financial sense for the company who makes the pocket to use a NOAC if they have no intent on using nes roms?

[quote name='Cheetatron']Does it make much financial sense for the company who makes the pocket to use a NOAC if they have no intent on using nes roms?[/QUOTE]

Actually, it's pretty common. Nintendo-on-a-Chip is a really simple core to recreate, and the availability of development tools and emulators for NROMs is pretty much unmatched.

If they created their own system, they wouldn't have a wide variety of various games to test on it.

It's actually been pretty standard practice for many years in china to use NoaCs for various things from simple home computers to quick '1000-in-1' controller type setups.

Simply put, it's cheaper than hiring a bunch of digital logic engineers.

Great info, asterick. I didn't even look at the other chips- I just assumed it was a standard 2 glop top setup. At least one of them has to be the CPU, right? Wonder what the other one is...

[quote name='xorealix']Great info, asterick. I didn't even look at the other chips- I just assumed it was a standard 2 glop top setup. At least one of them has to be the CPU, right? Wonder what the other one is...[/QUOTE]

Yes, at least one glop top is the CPU

Mine doesn't even have a 2nd glop top. It may very well depend on the shipment if you have a glop top rom, or even your model. If there are 3 version, it's very possible that they could have only done flash in the 50 model to save money. Either way, I'll get back to you guys with more information.

I decided to include a photo from my board... this was using my roommate's cheap camera... which is to say it doesn't have the best quality

bri29zi.jpg

There are 3 'IC's on the board. there is a small, 16-PIN SMT chip on the top right, 72HC4053D which is a logic gate of some king, may also be used to drive the crystals to produce clock signals. The glop-top is the supposed NOAC, and the bottom is a 32Mb flash chip by Micron, 90ns access speed: Part number 29LV329BTC-90. Note that this flash is rather... slow. it can only be read at 1/2 the speed of the fastest oscillator, which normally isn't an issue (considering the NES access timing)

the Two oscillators are: 21.474424 (NTSC Color burst x6, this is the standard speed for a NES crystal. It's interally divided by 12 to produce the CPU clock, the video is actually double clocked out using a 12-bit ring counter to produce 12 colors and 2 'white' palettes at 4 lum levels. The clock signal is applied to the A0 on a 12x16 rom. 'Kevtris' has some good info on this if you want to look it up). The other oscillator is 26.60712. This crystal presents no real information to me, it may be used for PAL timing, if the thing is biregional. That, however, is highly unlikely (it's cheaper to build 2 models).

26.601714 = PAL color burst x12 (close!)

The rest is just your standard run of the mill off the shelf transistors, caps and resistors. I believe there is a 3.3v regulator near the top under a barrel package cap (labled U4).

The LCD has no part number. It's most likely some cheap no-controller jobber. No real way to tell without being able to scope it, and unfortunately, ours in is the shop.

[quote name='asterick'] Yes, at least one glop top is the CPU

Mine doesn't even have a 2nd glop top. It may very well depend on the shipment if you have a glop top rom, or even your model. If there are 3 version, it's very possible that they could have only done flash in the 50 model to save money. Either way, I'll get back to you guys with more information.

I decided to include a photo from my board... this was using my roommate's cheap camera... which is to say it doesn't have the best quality

bri29zi.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I am glad someone is looking into modding this series of units, the radio shack I work at has the 75 game one on display I'll try to get some good 5mp pix of it.

[quote name='Cheetatron']I am glad someone is looking into modding this series of units, the radio shack I work at has the 75 game one on display I'll try to get some good 5mp pix of it.[/QUOTE]

That would be awesome.

Oh, It might take a bit to get a dump of the rom. I have 2 options 1: destroy the glop top to keep it from driving the address lines on the board, or try to watch the bus using 'crafty' methods and slowly rebuild the data from it.

UPDATE: I ordered a 48-TSOP adapter for the dataman. Hopefully, in 1-2 weeks, I will have it, and can rip the flash from this thing, and possibly reprogram it (if it's an NROM nes)

:bouncy:This looks like a fun little system to keep around, maybe in your car or bathroom or something. It's no GBA, but it looks like it would be fun to pick up every now and then.

Is the Screen backlit? I'd like to see some photos of the case closed from different angles, if anyone can take them.

[quote name='WackyNutty']:bouncy:This looks like a fun little system to keep around, maybe in your car or bathroom or something. It's no GBA, but it looks like it would be fun to pick up every now and then.

Is the Screen backlit? I'd like to see some photos of the case closed from different angles, if anyone can take them.[/QUOTE]

The case is pretty much what you see in the picture, with 2 headphone like jacks on the top. there is one that is smaller (~1.25mm) that is used for video out. It has a small bulge in the back where the 3 AAA's go.

The screen is backlit. We did some pixel counting, and the resolution is around 224-240 x 224... which is basically NTSC compatible. The thing is driven by 10 wires (2 wired together with a via, 2 GND, 2 VCC, and 4 other unknowns).

with the shielding being so close to the edge of the glass, and there is no aparent PCB on the thing, I'm going to assume that the thing has a controller in the glop-top. This would make it exceedingly difficult to use it in other hobby projects. My guess is that the 2 wired together are VSYNC, 3 for R/G/B, and 1 for HSYNC. This would make it simple to interface if you were outputting NTSC. I'm also guessing that the LCD is based around the PAL signal as far as timing goes, due to the weird color edges. It might also be 3 lum levels and it scans R/G/B sequentially.

of course, this is all speculation unless I can wire it up to a scope.

[quote name='xorealix']I took some pictures of my Max's motherboard. I'm not too good with photographing electronics, so please forgive the occasional blur.

VG Pocket Max Pictures[/QUOTE]

Yep, as I expected, the 2nd glop top is a rom. I'm assuming they didn't want to shell out the extra money for the 64Mb FLASH chip. There is really no easy way to dump the memory from something like that without scoping all the pins... and that will be a feat and a half.

I'm still classifying the VG Pocket Lite as unconfirmed until somebody can verify it with pictures (or a screenshot of an ad showing all 3 versions). It would help if the company would bring up at least one of their websites.

Look for it at Wal*Mart.com - They do sell it in the brick and mortar store.

[quote name='xorealix']I'm still classifying the VG Pocket Lite as unconfirmed until somebody can verify it with pictures (or a screenshot of an ad showing all 3 versions). It would help if the company would bring up at least one of their websites.[/QUOTE]

It has a pool game on it. That's good enough for me! :applause:

You could always make it a keychain, and have the dopest keychain in the universe. :cool:

[quote name='xorealix']I'm still classifying the VG Pocket Lite as unconfirmed until somebody can verify it with pictures (or a screenshot of an ad showing all 3 versions). It would help if the company would bring up at least one of their websites.[/QUOTE]

I saw them in Wal-Mart yesterday.

Wow, thanks to this site, I found this:

JungleTac

It would appear that they are the manufacturers of a wide array of Plug and Play products. Just at a glance, it would appear that they make the VG Pocket and the DreamGear TV Games. Perhaps companies like Pelican and DreamGear are just distributers?

Also on the first linked page, the author claims it is indeed a NOAC. After comparing the games on the handheld to the games on the Power Player I recently obtained, I would have to agree.

On a side note, is that really the 30 version VG Pocket? (The M-1500). Why didn't anybody mention that it's insanely different from the other two versions?

I would really love to get my hands on that 16-bit portable, the M-2500k.

bread's done
Back