I Passed The Ny Bar!!!!

wildnuts02

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
my first try. i get a raise too :) since I passed i decided to not cancel my Xbox 360 bundle.

some bad news though: i'm banned from using CAG at work.... :cold:

[quote name='wildnuts02']my first try. i get a raise too :) since I passed i decided to not cancel my Xbox 360 bundle.

some bad news though: i'm banned from using CAG at work.... :cold:[/QUOTE]
Congrats! And, ouch. Don't they know that without CAG at work you never would have done it? :roll:

Just kidding. :D

[quote name='GuyWithGun']Congrats! And, ouch. Don't they know that without CAG at work you never would have done it? :roll:

Just kidding. :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks man.

i was slumming at gamefaqs but that was banned too! damn sysopS - i'm on the radar already and i've only worked there for 2 weeks.

Oh and they denied me access to IGN.com also.....it's in the chat/game category. IT Nazis.

[quote name='wildnuts02'] IT Nazis.[/QUOTE]

Dumbass lawyers.
We "IT Nazi's" wouldn't have ban nearly as many sites if it wasn't for the "head up his ass" businessman and the greedy schiester lawyers.

Congrats on passing. And I share your pain. I'm blocked from CAG at work too. Hell, they even have Chris Morris's editorials on CNN money blocked. :sad:

[quote name='JSweeney']Dumbass lawyers.
We "IT Nazi's" wouldn't have ban nearly as many sites if it wasn't for the "head up his ass" businessman and the greedy schiester lawyers.[/QUOTE]

"you are a gay homosexual"

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']You will have to get some tips from Javeryh on circumventing the blocks and where the best toilets are to play your psp/blackberry- internet.[/QUOTE]
Feel free to get all the advice you want from javeryh, just don't follow in his footsteps by making retarded threads covering every minute aspect of your boring day at work...Because no one really cares if you can't control your bowels.

[quote name='dcfox']Congrats on passing. And I share your pain. I'm blocked from CAG at work too. Hell, they even have Chris Morris's editorials on CNN money blocked. :sad:[/QUOTE]

what do you check out when you're bored? i'm running out of ideas...

[quote name='wildnuts02']what do you check out when you're bored? i'm running out of ideas...[/QUOTE]
I check out http://www.engadget.com/, its a sister site to joystiq. Its pretty cool if you're into electronics and what not, and once in a while they'll have some coverage on video games. But if anybody else has others, I'd love to hear them because I'm getting bored as well.

Edit: This is another one I found today http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/index.php, it's similar to engadget and isn't blocked so it works for me.

[quote name='wildnuts02']what do you check out when you're bored? i'm running out of ideas...[/QUOTE]

Metafilter. They've got a pretty high level of discourse, and there's always something new to be seen on teh Intarweb.

And congrats on the bar. Ironically, I actually just canceled my 360 preorder, since my law school applications aren't finished yet. Glad to see Microsoft-related motivation worked for you, at least...

[quote name='wildnuts02']"you are a gay homosexual"[/QUOTE]

Gay in what sense?
In the "happy" sense, or the "sleeps with people of the same sex" sense?

If it is the later case, isn't that a double negative?

[quote name='assassinX']I am sorry to ask because I dont know this, but what is a NY bar?[/QUOTE]

Basically the final exams of lawyerdom.

[quote name='assassinX']I am sorry to ask because I dont know this, but what is a NY bar?[/QUOTE]

Yeah like you probably know, if you want to become a lawyer, you have to go to law school for 3 years. But after 3 years of extra schooling, to actually BE a lawyer, you still have to pass a standard test issued by the state. Every state has a different one. New York's is the hardest or second hardest so needless to say i'm relieved.

Thanks!

Cmon, if javery can do it... :lol: ;-)

As for the net issue... You can only be caught if you go through their proxy server. I'll spare you the technobabble and just tell you how to fix it.

You can do one of two things. Add .nyud.net:8090 to the end of the domain. (www.cheapassgamer.com.nyud.net:8090)
Or you can enter in a proxy server.

You can look one up here. http://nntime.com/proxy/info/viewforum.php?id=70
Do it at home and print off a couple. If you look them up at work they might bust your nuts.

Heres a couple I use
67.127.64.34 4206
68.2.101.83 7212
202.56.253.184 443

I use a lot of net based stuff at work so the proxy fucks with it sometimes. So what I do it use IE for most of my work stuff and mozilla for dicking around. Its also nice for reveiwing multiple tickets at once. And if I'm on CAG and someone comes in, I just hit CTRL+1 and it switches to my work tab. :cool:

Congrats man.

Hey I always wondered this...Is the bar a certification or is it a final exam for becoming a lawyer. Meaning, do you need to go to law school?

Lets say I got a "Lawyers for Dummies" book and really payed attention to Sam Waterson on "Law & Order", studied real hard but never went to Law school. Then i walked in and just took the test one day. If I passed, even though its improbable, would I suddenly become a lawyer?

[quote name='jalu6']Congrats man.

Hey I always wondered this...Is the bar a certification or is it a final exam for becoming a lawyer. Meaning, do you need to go to law school?

Lets say I got a "Lawyers for Dummies" book and really payed attention to Sam Waterson on "Law & Order", studied real hard but never went to Law school. Then i walked in and just took the test one day. If I passed, even though its improbable, would I suddenly become a lawyer?[/QUOTE]

Typically, no.

Most states require a legal education as well. There may be one or two states left that allow a apprenticeship to stand in for formal education, but, if there are, there aren't many that still do.

[quote name='sgs89']Typically, no.

Most states require a legal education as well. There may be one or two states left that allow a apprenticeship to stand in for formal education, but, if there are, there aren't many that still do.[/QUOTE]

This is pretty much true. Most states require that you attend and graduated from an ABA accredited law school. Once you get admitted in one state (after the exam + passing a moral character and fitness review) and practice for at least 3 to 5 years, you can become admitted in other states by motion (meaning no exam required).

You interested in becoming an attorneY? Backgrounds don't matter much. A friend of mine graduate with a degree in electrical engineering and decided to become a lawyer.

[quote name='Kayden']Cmon, if javery can do it... :lol: ;-)

As for the net issue... You can only be caught if you go through their proxy server. I'll spare you the technobabble and just tell you how to fix it.

You can do one of two things. Add .nyud.net:8090 to the end of the domain. (www.cheapassgamer.com.nyud.net:8090)
Or you can enter in a proxy server.

You can look one up here. http://nntime.com/proxy/info/viewforum.php?id=70
Do it at home and print off a couple. If you look them up at work they might bust your nuts.

Heres a couple I use
67.127.64.34 4206
68.2.101.83 7212
202.56.253.184 443

I use a lot of net based stuff at work so the proxy fucks with it sometimes. So what I do it use IE for most of my work stuff and mozilla for dicking around. Its also nice for reveiwing multiple tickets at once. And if I'm on CAG and someone comes in, I just hit CTRL+1 and it switches to my work tab. :cool:[/QUOTE]

You're the man! I'm going to print this out and give it a shot. It sucks not having CAG at my fingertips... :cry:

I work in the software industry, and a few of my coworkers are seriously thinking about giving up the coding and going into Copyright and Intellectual Property Law. My grandfather was a lawyer, and then a judge, and then Chief Justice here in Connecticut.

Before he died in the 80's he said "Whatever you do, stay the hell out of law". I took his advice.....Lawschool meant work and achieving, and I wasn't having any of that shit :)

But now I am curious.....if you wanted to go to law school, how hard is it REALLY? What do you really "learn" in law school.. How to think? How to litigate? How to ARgue? Or how to research stacks of lawbooks for precident of cases that have come before?

Plus, dont you already need your masters if you want to attend law school? So you'd need your 4 year degree, but then you'd need to do 2 more years (full time) to get a masters in anything...and then you could do 3 years of law school...which then allows you to take the BAR, and THEN you have to decide if you can join an existing firm or whatever.

..is that about right?

Is it the same for Medical School? Honestly I wouldn't wish medicine on anyone these days....not only do you work yousrelf to death (and always will because on nights and weekends you aren't home with the family, you're doing your rounds at the hospital visiting patients and so forth even if you're in private practice)......and then of coures there's the hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans :)

Want to make a bundle and not work yourself to death and not have to pay for expensive schoool? Be a fucking plumber. I'm serious......you own your own business, the work is relatively simple, it pays a nice salary, and you'll never have to worry about outsourcing until they invet a "Shit disintigration beam" :)

[quote name='HeadRusch']I work in the software industry, and a few of my coworkers are seriously thinking about giving up the coding and going into Copyright and Intellectual Property Law. My grandfather was a lawyer, and then a judge, and then Chief Justice here in Connecticut.

Before he died in the 80's he said "Whatever you do, stay the hell out of law". I took his advice.....Lawschool meant work and achieving, and I wasn't having any of that shit :)

But now I am curious.....if you wanted to go to law school, how hard is it REALLY? What do you really "learn" in law school.. How to think? How to litigate? How to ARgue? Or how to research stacks of lawbooks for precident of cases that have come before?

Plus, dont you already need your masters if you want to attend law school? So you'd need your 4 year degree, but then you'd need to do 2 more years (full time) to get a masters in anything...and then you could do 3 years of law school...which then allows you to take the BAR, and THEN you have to decide if you can join an existing firm or whatever.

..is that about right?

Is it the same for Medical School? Honestly I wouldn't wish medicine on anyone these days....not only do you work yousrelf to death (and always will because on nights and weekends you aren't home with the family, you're doing your rounds at the hospital visiting patients and so forth even if you're in private practice)......and then of coures there's the hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans :)

Want to make a bundle and not work yourself to death and not have to pay for expensive schoool? Be a fucking plumber. I'm serious......you own your own business, the work is relatively simple, it pays a nice salary, and you'll never have to worry about outsourcing until they invet a "Shit disintigration beam" :)[/QUOTE]

How did you do on your SATs? I highly recommend that you find a LSAT practice test and see how you do. It's not the kind of test that you need to study for. If you kick ass, then I think you could get into an awesome law school and make lots of money.

If you're really lazy, a good law school may not be for you though. I was super lazy and I went to an ivy league law school. the kids there are super hardcore and you have to bust ass to keep up with them (because they are smart and hard working).

as far as going to a non top law school, i woudl only recommend it if you REALLY want to pracice law or if you thi n k you can be top of your class. there are a lot of unemployed lawyers out there.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions!

[quote name='wildnuts02']How did you do on your SATs? I highly recommend that you find a LSAT practice test and see how you do. It's not the kind of test that you need to study for. If you kick ass, then I think you could get into an awesome law school and make lots of money.
[/QUOTE]

Well first of all I'm already 35, I took the SAT's in 89 so it was a LOOOOONG time ago :) And I dont really care about making "lots of money". I make enough doing what I do right now, and I never wanted to own a Porche or have a house on the beach.......so I happily live within my means.

However, i was really curious since I knew nothing about the law process or how to go about getting a law degree...thats why I asked!

If you're really lazy, a good law school may not be for you though. I was super lazy and I went to an ivy league law school. the kids there are super hardcore and you have to bust ass to keep up with them (because they are smart and hard working).

Again, it all comes down to personality type. I work my job as a means to enjoy my life, I do not work my job as a means to get ahead in life and keeping getting more money, get more responsibility, to ge tanother job to get more stuff, etc. Of course I also dont want to live in NY, where it costs a million just to buy a crappy little place......so my "scope" is different from other people.

as far as going to a non top law school, i woudl only recommend it if you REALLY want to pracice law or if you thi n k you can be top of your class. there are a lot of unemployed lawyers out there.
Yeah thats the thing.......you dont want to be some ambulance-chasing bum. It was just funny because I went to a funeral of a top-tier lawyer a year ago, and alot of my grandfathers friends were there, and they were all shocked that I didn't become a lawyer...apparrantly I have the logical personality for the job. Bu tI went away wondering "Gee...would I have made a good trial lawyer?". :)

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions!

Hey thanks...but honestly, today I'd do much better in school as..well..I'm grown up mostly..but I'd have to go part time, and it would take forever, and then I'd be a 40+ year old guy with no experience.....I was just curious as to what law school was really all about. Is it all studying and memorization and theory?

I mean, what do you *learn* in law school?

College, as a whole, is really just a weeding out of the fluff. If you can graduate from a 4 year school, employers know that at least you're smarter than the average bear. I got a degree in Industrial Sciences but never worked a day in the industry, went right into computer work. But when you get into gradschool then it *is* usually about being specific.....since I never went, I'm curious what its like :)

Is it like "Law Theory" or "Law History" or is it more "you have to memorize every precident-setting case ever done"......and....with all those law books, haven't they shrunk that shit down onto DVD by now? With a big search engine??? :D

What is law school like? For me, it was much easier than undergraduate school (where I was pre-med). I found law school pretty easy, frankly. And I graduated from a "top 2" law school.

At the end of the day, what you learn is how to "think like a lawyer." That is to say, how to think critically and learn to see issues from both sides. You learn how to articulate your arguments and respond to arguments articulated against your position. And then how to turn around and argue the other side.

Of course, you also learn the "rules" -- from the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure to the black letter law rules associated with various areas of the law (for example, contracts, real property, or torts) -- and how to apply them to various fact patterns.

Most of the elite schools are more interested in theory and teaching the students how to think like lawyers. The "diploma mill" schools are much more practical -- specifically aiming to teach their students to pass a particular bar exam. Obviously, I much prefer the former approach.

[quote name='sgs89']What is law school like? For me, it was much easier than undergraduate school (where I was pre-med). I found law school pretty easy, frankly. And I graduated from a "top 2" law school.

At the end of the day, what you learn is how to "think like a lawyer." That is to say, how to think critically and learn to see issues from both sides. You learn how to articulate your arguments and respond to arguments articulated against your position. And then how to turn around and argue the other side.

Of course, you also learn the "rules" -- from the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure to the black letter law rules associated with various areas of the law (for example, contracts, real property, or torts) -- and how to apply them to various fact patterns.

Most of the elite schools are more interested in theory and teaching the students how to think like lawyers. The "diploma mill" schools are much more practical -- specifically aiming to teach their students to pass a particular bar exam. Obviously, I much prefer the former approach.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't have said it better myself. I personally feel like I learned a lot in law school. Most people say that its worthless and you'll never use it but I strongly disagree. Do you feel like you "learned" ?

[quote name='wildnuts02']I couldn't have said it better myself. I personally feel like I learned a lot in law school. Most people say that its worthless and you'll never use it but I strongly disagree. Do you feel like you "learned" ?[/QUOTE]

I do feel like I learned a significant amount in law school. I am certainly a better critical thinker than when I entered law school.

Learning the practical day-to-day skills of being a lawyer, though, came after I started practicing (I have been a lawyer since 1997).

As someone that is in law school right now, its not that the material is incredibly difficult, it's just a lot of work. I'm in my first semester and currently working my ass off as exams are less than two weeks away. I am actually enjoying the experience right now, I have great professors and have made a ton of new friends already. All year long usually had class from 8:00 AM to noon or so (depending on the day), so my strategy was to go to class, then straight to the library until about 4:00 or 5:00 getting my reading done and organizing my notes. Lately I've been in the library until about 8:30 PM every day outlining and preparing for exams, working pretty solidly, except for various CAG related breaks to keep me from going insane.

HeadRusch, if you're thinking of going back to school take some sample LSAT's and see how you do, then you can evaluate yourself from there. Don't be worried about going to law school as a 35 year old, I have several people in my 1L class that are 40+ and they seem to be doing fine. Granted the majority of the students are 22-26 or so, but its not uncommon at all for people well over 30 to go to law school. If you have any questions about the LSAT or the application process, feel free to PM me since I just went through that whole fiasco last year.

I'm not worried, I wont be doing it :) If I go back to school, it will be in my field....take some courses on modern Software Architecture techniques or whatnot.

The one shitty thing about being in software is that nothing ever stays the same...as soon as you feel comfortable with a tool, or with a language, or with a technique or architecture....you gotta change it.

Sure you're refining with incremental releases, but then you go for a new app, or a new version,w hich may mean a new platform to support, a new language to write it in, a new back-end...and hanging over all of this might be an entirely new methodology of business rules AND a new physical architecture that must support both the new Business Rules AND the new tool sets you are using to develop.

.....jesus when I write it like that it makes me sound like I know what I'm doing :p

Anyhow, I salute you guys who went to Law school and got something out of it. Personally I didn't get much out of my undergrad years, I never felt like I learned anything except how to get out classes and how to "be one of the sheep in the flock". Its true, work brings you real-world experience. 10+ years out of school did I really need those classes on marketing or social sciences and whatnot? Of course not.

But those are there for the purpose of building the well-rounded individual. Whereas gradschool is designed to focus that well-rounded person to a sharp point ;)

Thanks for the explanations and the IMHO's. I'm curious, can you guys give me an example of what some of the classes are like? IE: Whats your curriculum like.....what are some of the names of the classes...

And Lawschool is what...3 years full time with a full credit load?

Also, since you're all so kindly indulging me here, when you get out of lawschool...what is the aim: Do you then have to take more classes to focus on a particular area of law, or do you do that in Lawschool? Do you decide "hey, I dont want to be a trial lawyer, I want to be....a research lawyer" or something like that, or is every lawyer a trial lawyer....

?? You know...hwo do you get these guys who are "personal injury" laywers (ugh) versus people who specialize in intillectual property and whatnot. The people who JUSt do criminal proceedings and so forth,.....??

(the odd thing is, my grandfather started a firm that still exists..and the son of one of his original partners is now MY lawyer whom I go to whenever I need legal advice or work done.....estate issues and the like, and yet I've NEVER discussed this with him!).

bread's done
Back